Wayne State University part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
so what did everyone think of the exams? i think i messed up a few on the last pharm exam... oh well. i already realized one i messed up on psych...

I thought they were ok, I've been a huge slacker, so I felt like they should have been easier than they were for me - as far as the psych pharm questions go, I forgot that they were going to be on the psych half, so I skipped that stuff in my morning cram - so there's a bunch wrong there, oh well - on to pathbio, that should be fun

Members don't see this ad.

thoughts on the test? pictures were hard... most of the multiple choice wasn't so bad... where did the questions regarind barbituates and liver ER come from?!

Members don't see this ad :)
thoughts on the test? pictures were hard... most of the multiple choice wasn't so bad... where did the questions regarind barbituates and liver ER come from?!

There was one line in the notes about the barbituate question, but it wasn't explained very well. I actually got that right because it is a question almost word-for-word out of BRS Path, with a much better explanation.

But I agree, pics were tough. Most of the mult choice wasn't too bad, could have been worse. I like how the last two real questions were answered for us as well:D

Grades for pharm and psych are on line. Thank God I did far better than I was anticipating. I am kinda worried about the Path though.

There was one line in the notes about the barbituate question, but it wasn't explained very well. I actually got that right because it is a question almost word-for-word out of BRS Path, with a much better explanation.

But I agree, pics were tough. Most of the mult choice wasn't too bad, could have been worse. I like how the last two real questions were answered for us as well:D

dang, yeah the only reason i knew it was brs path, but was still peeved bc i didnt remember it from the notes... still don't. i hope those last 2 count! they were easy.

Yeah, the pics sucked I thought some of them were a little blurry - and one that was heart I think, I couldn't make heads or tails of

my psych grade went up 2 percent... u may want to recheck yours!

Was there an info session for clin med yesterday? its on the video schedule but there aren't any files and also it wasn't on the online schedule yesterday. If we had it, can someone fill me in? I don't want to miss picking my PD site.

Was there an info session for clin med yesterday? its on the video schedule but there aren't any files and also it wasn't on the online schedule yesterday. If we had it, can someone fill me in? I don't want to miss picking my PD site.

I received an email last friday saying that the PD session had been moved to next monday 2-3pm.

I love it how their so good about getting our scores up on time, I mean the efficiency of the paperless grade reporting is exceptional. It's not like we'd like time to adjust our studying if need be, so it's perfectly reasonable to think that taking a week out of a three week unit to report grades would be ok. I mean really, do we expect this to be about our education?

All sarcasm intended.

I love it how their so good about getting our scores up on time, I mean the efficiency of the paperless grade reporting is exceptional. It's not like we'd like time to adjust our studying if need be, so it's perfectly reasonable to think that taking a week out of a three week unit to report grades would be ok. I mean really, do we expect this to be about our education?

All sarcasm intended.

They're not screwing you over; they're just preparing you for what is to come. :rolleyes:

It takes months to get your clerkship grades back in year 3. I did OB in July/August and just now got my grade report yesterday (10/31)! I took 3 shelf exams before finding out the score of the first one.

Members don't see this ad :)
They're not screwing you over; they're just preparing you for what is to come. :rolleyes:

It takes months to get your clerkship grades back in year 3. I did OB in July/August and just now got my grade report yesterday (10/31)! I took 3 shelf exams before finding out the score of the first one.
Ah yes, Wayne State administration - the picture of incompetence and inefficiency

Ah yes, Wayne State administration - the picture of incompetence and inefficiency

At least for the MS3s and MS4s I don't think we can blame just the WSU administration.
I think it is equal parts overworked/inefficient clerkship directors/faculty, DMC inefficiency, and WSU inefficiency/incompetence

All sarcasm intended.

You think it would change for make-up exams. I mean they only have about a dozen people to get grades for! How long does it take. It has been a week and I still don't know what my final score is for Micro!!!! grrrrrr....will be hunting some admins on Monday for sure!

i'm pretty sick of these lysosomal storage diseases right about now.:mad:

hey jen,

you might want to go get your grade from your counselor, They never put my make-up grade from immuno up....

Did anybody go to the presentation today on the DMC issues?

Do any 3rd/4th years want to weigh in on the importance of a PD site? I live reasonably close to Oakwood, so I'd rather not have to drive into the city if going to Receiving or the VA isn't going to make much difference.

Do any 3rd/4th years want to weigh in on the importance of a PD site? I live reasonably close to Oakwood, so I'd rather not have to drive into the city if going to Receiving or the VA isn't going to make much difference.

For your PD sites, you will be learning directly from the attendings from each site. In general, in each of my rotations, the attendings (and residents) are good teachers that want to teach you how to be a good doctor. Caveat: some of the attendings have interesting attitudes and behaviors, but once you get around that, you can still learn quite well from them. Fortunately, those are the minority.

So, my advice is to forget about trying to find the "best" hospital and go with the one that is the closest to where you live or one that piques your interest the most (i.e. Receiving ER if you are interested in emergency med). Save yourself the drive time and get the extra sleep while you can.

I did it at Oakwood, it was a good experience. They are really nice to you and make a point to teach.

right now i live about 30-45 mins from school on I-94. I am planning on moving closer for 3rd and 4th year... is this a good idea? i assume so.. just want to make sure i am not overlooking something..

right now i live about 30-45 mins from school on I-94. I am planning on moving closer for 3rd and 4th year... is this a good idea? i assume so.. just want to make sure i am not overlooking something..

That all depends on how much you like sleeping.

Just think of making that drive early enough to be at the hospital/DMC by 5:30. Of course at that hour your commute would be shorter, thanks to the lack of traffic.
Also will depend on which hospitals you do your rotations at -- thinking of the folks that were forced to do some (PD and rotations) in Ann Arbor.

The other variable that none of us know is if rotations will still be offered at the DMC. Would be nice if the powers-that-be would get their act together and get that contract done and signed.

hey jen,

you might want to go get your grade from your counselor, They never put my make-up grade from immuno up....

Yeah...still don't have that score back. Guess what? I contacted my counselor and she did a little investigating....it isn't even scored yet!!! 10 days and counting, let's see how long it takes. Can't wait to complain to the powers-that-be about this one. I know that it won't do any good, but this is ridiculous!

That all depends on how much you like sleeping.

Just think of making that drive early enough to be at the hospital/DMC by 5:30. Of course at that hour your commute would be shorter, thanks to the lack of traffic.
Also will depend on which hospitals you do your rotations at -- thinking of the folks that were forced to do some (PD and rotations) in Ann Arbor.

The other variable that none of us know is if rotations will still be offered at the DMC. Would be nice if the powers-that-be would get their act together and get that contract done and signed.

oh i love my sleep and my avatar shows exactly how i feel about traffic, which is why i stay home every day. I was thinking that downtown would be closer to most of the hospitals. when do we find out our rotation schedule? prob not until june 30.. hahaha... damn the the powers-that-be!

when do we find out our rotation schedule? prob not until june 30.. hahaha... damn the the powers-that-be!

Don't recall when exactly the lottery for that is (I think that there were some discussions on here during it - so you could always look back and see). But as memory serves it was sometime after spring break - maybe in April.

I do remember hearing that the MS3 scheduling lottery happens after the MS4 lottery.

so what's going on with opening the lottery for PD in between our pharm and psych exams?

so what's going on with opening the lottery for PD in between our pharm and psych exams?
Did you expect anything else - remember you're at Wayne State. I mean, what's wrong with having this lottery both during finals and over the Thanksgiving break, perfect Wayne State logic

Did you expect anything else - remember you're at Wayne State. I mean, what's wrong with having this lottery both during finals and over the Thanksgiving break, perfect Wayne State logic

I thought it odd timed, but looking at the PD schedule, it has to be done soon. I did it today, took about 5 minutes since I had already given some thought to where I wanted to do PD, mostly geographical for me.

I thought it odd timed, but looking at the PD schedule, it has to be done soon. I did it today, took about 5 minutes since I had already given some thought to where I wanted to do PD, mostly geographical for me.

entirely geographic for me... so how does it work? i am planning on an error in the system that makes it so choice 14 is your top choice, followed by 13, etc.... i'm going to end up in pontiac which is like an hour away.:mad:

to the 3rd/4th years: did you guys get first/second/third choice? are westland/ann arbor/dearborn very popular choices?

entirely geographic for me... so how does it work? i am planning on an error in the system that makes it so choice 14 is your top choice, followed by 13, etc.... i'm going to end up in pontiac which is like an hour away.:mad:

to the 3rd/4th years: did you guys get first/second/third choice? are westland/ann arbor/dearborn very popular choices?

I wouldn't do it in Ann Arbor. If you have a mandatory lab/Case study, etc after PD, you're going to have to drive downtown anyways. You don't want to have to drive out to Ann Arbor, then back down to Detroit.

I wouldn't do it in Ann Arbor. If you have a mandatory lab/Case study, etc after PD, you're going to have to drive downtown anyways. You don't want to have to drive out to Ann Arbor, then back down to Detroit.

i forgot to say that i live closer to ann arbor than detroit. it still wasn't my first choice, but it is above the the beaumont, pontiac, and most of the detroit choices.

Just cramming nutrition pathbio here, and I'm wondering - Anyone else pissed as hell that essentially all of pain-in-the-a$$-nutrition from last year is covered in 16 pages and one hour of lecture this year?

I could have done without Sardesai.

Just cramming nutrition pathbio here, and I'm wondering - Anyone else pissed as hell that essentially all of pain-in-the-a$$-nutrition from last year is covered in 16 pages and one hour of lecture this year?

I could have done without Sardesai.

haha, i was thinking the same thing!

I'm pretty stupid - I actually thought that maybe they would be nice and put up our Pharm and Psych scores before they left for the weekend - silly me

I'm pretty stupid - I actually thought that maybe they would be nice and put up our Pharm and Psych scores before they left for the weekend - silly me

yeah no kidding... "Did you expect anything else - remember you're at Wayne State" ...haha. They all probably had today off!

So what did you all think of the exams? easy/medium/hard? The pictures seemed easier, but maybe I missed something!

yeah no kidding... "Did you expect anything else - remember you're at Wayne State" ...haha. They all probably had today off!

So what did you all think of the exams? easy/medium/hard? The pictures seemed easier, but maybe I missed something!
Damn it - stung by my own words, oh well. But, hey look, it's been 7 days since Pharm/Psych, and going to blackboard, click Test Scores - oops, no f**king grades yet

Damn it - stung by my own words, oh well. But, hey look, it's been 7 days since Pharm/Psych, and going to blackboard, click Test Scores - oops, no f**king grades yet
They're up now

the median was 82%, or maybe 83% I am not sure. The median for psych and pharm were both 86%
Our class is smart!

good thing we aren't in last year's class... looks like they did better than us, at least on psych and pharm... will have to see about pathbio still...

good thing we aren't in last year's class... looks like they did better than us, at least on psych and pharm... will have to see about pathbio still...
well, tomorrow will be 7 days since pathbio, so probably late tomorrow sometime we'll see those pathbio scores

path scores will probably be up later today, I talked with my counselor today and she had scores on her system for path.

I don't know if you know this or not, but we get one (1) point added to our score for pathbio if you attended all of the labs. Of course we all know about the 10 pt deduction if you missed labs.

Woo-hoo for me I passed everything! I'm almost caught up now from baby, one more make up test to go! :thumbup:

psych combo scores are up at least.....

path scores will probably be up later today, I talked with my counselor today and she had scores on her system for path.

That's interesting, since it's 4:30, and still no scores - it isn't so much the scores, as it is the pure incompetence that causes them to take more than 7 days to grade and report a god d*mn scantron result

I don't know if you know this or not, but we get one (1) point added to our score for pathbio if you attended all of the labs. Of course we all know about the 10 pt deduction if you missed labs.

Woo-hoo for me I passed everything! I'm almost caught up now from baby, one more make up test to go! :thumbup:

Do you know what the average or mean was on the Path?

That's interesting, since it's 4:30, and still no scores - it isn't so much the scores, as it is the pure incompetence that causes them to take more than 7 days to grade and report a god d*mn scantron result

especially since most of this process should be automated. grade exams via scantron machine, uploaded to computer, have the computer program organize and do the calculations, print & hang grades up, and upload to blackboard...

especially since most of this process should be automated. grade exams via scantron machine, uploaded to computer, have the computer program organize and do the calculations, print & hang grades up, and upload to blackboard...
in classic wayne st. efficiency, they probably take each test form, write the answers on a second piece of paper, and then grade them by hand, then they type the answers into the computer by hand, but they have to go to Jackson to get special permission to print them off.

Its been scored since at least tues afternoon. A friend of mine stopped in to see her counselor on tues after class and her score was on the system. She said the average was 82 or 83, she couldn't remember exactly.

that's not much above the the average for the first exam which was about 78. Anyone knows what the passing score was for last year?

Can any student go to a counselor to see grades, or do you have to be specially assigned to one? Because if I can just go to a counselor, why wait to have grades posted.

Status
Not open for further replies.