Wayne State University part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I just started to watch the review from today and the professor is reading some case study sheet. Was this handed out during the class or is it in our notes/blackboard somewhere? Thanks!

Did you find the answer to your question fun8? What was the solution? I plan on watching that lecture sometime before the nights through... probably after midnight at the rate I'm going today.

Members don't see this ad.

Did you find the answer to your question fun8? What was the solution? I plan on watching that lecture sometime before the nights through... probably after midnight at the rate I'm going today.

nope, i asked it on blackboard too. by the looks of the vid, there weren't many people there.... 10-15? you can understand things by watching vid, but i quit watching part way thourhg because I figure I will want to record the answers on the case study sheet... also, some times they would just say the answer was "a" or "d", etc.

hopefully someone will scan it and send it around... that would probably be faster than they will post it to BB... at the rate they have been answering questions and uploading other promised things.

Can anyone find the TDPHE quiz? iI've been looking all over and can't find it. Its not under the "quiz" folder in the TDPHE section....

Members don't see this ad :)
Can anyone find the TDPHE quiz? iI've been looking all over and can't find it. Its not under the "quiz" folder in the TDPHE section....

yeah, it's not there. anyone find the case study sheet from friday?

yeah, it's not there. anyone find the case study sheet from friday?

case studies will be available in conjoint. anyone else having problems accessing blackboard? it seems they updated it and it is not letting me sign on from firefox or IE browers.

do we need to dress up for PD if we are meeting in the lecture hall? I am guessing not. Did you guys do any reading ahead of time?

for PD at the clinical skills center, are we able to look at are notes regarding what we have to do for the physical exam or are we expected to have this stuff memorized when we get there?

for PD at the clinical skills center, are we able to look at are notes regarding what we have to do for the physical exam or are we expected to have this stuff memorized when we get there?
So the way it works is this - you get there, pair up with someone, and then you go in and take a 50 minute history on an SP. Then you go out and you and the partner practice the physical exam on a SPTA - the SPTA is really informal - no role playing or anything. They just basically guide you through the exam giving you little hints and pointers as you go.

So yes, bring notes in, I did for both the history and the physical. For the physical, you don't really need them though - the SPTA can guide you along and answer questions.

Other than not being told in anyway how the day at the CSC would go - it was an uncharacteristic Wayne day - rather well run actually.

I'm glad that I read the material because our guy was asking all sorts of questions on why/how of the hearing tests and junk....I seemed to be the only one of my trio (some SPTA's were absent today) to actually have read the material. But then when I was answering too many of the questions he would ask something, and then say that they others had to answer because "I know that you know the answer." I kind of felt bad for the other students, but then I was like hey, they are just hurting themselves by not doing the work. It felt good to know the answers though, first time I ever felt like a gunner!

I'm glad that I read the material because our guy was asking all sorts of questions on why/how of the hearing tests and junk....I seemed to be the only one of my trio (some SPTA's were absent today) to actually have read the material. But then when I was answering too many of the questions he would ask something, and then say that they others had to answer because "I know that you know the answer." I kind of felt bad for the other students, but then I was like hey, they are just hurting themselves by not doing the work. It felt good to know the answers though, first time I ever felt like a gunner!

wow. I was there today too. Our SPTA was very helpful. She walked us through the whole exam telling us tips or each step... no pimping questions at all. She was very nice. However, a friend of mine who went before must have had your guy because he told me a similar story... the only thing i didn't like was how they kept us until 1:00pm! grrr...

so what'd you all think of exams today?

After the 10th question involving wbc and platelet counts, I really didn't care anymore. I don't think my apathy helped my grade.... Oh well.

Those heme notes were so bad, I think I might have done better if I had just chucked them and learned everything myself.

I was at the clinical skills center yesterday too. Compared to other medical schools in Michigan that I am very familiar with, we are getting a very sub-par clinical skills education. For example, no one could show me how to use my (very expensive and course recommended, panoptic). There wasn't the time for all of us to practice all of the skills in the exam. We won't have the opportunity to practice the Female or Male GU exam on a standardized patient before we enter the real world. Plus, those antiquated rubber models are a horrible substitute for the real thing, and the residents didn't have any clue as tlo what we should be taught in regards to the exam. You could tell they we probably just told to be at Scott Hall at a certain time, and not told what to teach. Excellent. Great education. Ends up being a big waste of everyone's time.

Oh well, I was told when I was applying to med school, if I wanted a good clinical skills education, I should go to MSUCOM. I didn't so I guess now I;m paying the consequences. (Although in most other respects I'm glad I chose Wayne, for the record.)

/rant

I'd better get ready for our 8am required class, I need to stop at the Beanery for a latte on my way in!

wow. I was there today too. Our SPTA was very helpful. She walked us through the whole exam telling us tips or each step... no pimping questions at all. She was very nice. However, a friend of mine who went before must have had your guy because he told me a similar story... the only thing i didn't like was how they kept us until 1:00pm! grrr...

so what'd you all think of exams today?

Ouch! 1:00! We were supposed to get out at 11:30, but Dr. Levine kept us until just before 12:00. Just remember that even though you are supposed to go to the same room for the SP's that THEY rotate so you may get the hard questions next time!

I'm just glad that the exams are done! I went home and played with Baby and ate a bowl of ice cream to make me feel better. I think that some questions were fair, others were tough just because they were a 1/2 page long and took forever to read through and find the important info, and there were a couple of questions where I just had no clue. So I hope that I did ok...but who knows.

Yesterday was a classic FUBAR'd Wayne day - started with PD at 8:30 in ANN F'ing ARBOR out of there at 11 to go home, change and cram some food in my face, then out to the exam - arriving 10 minutes late

I thought the exam was ok - only because I started using Robbins to make up for the terrible note pack - The long questions were painful - especially when they would go through this long story, and then give you the disease at the end - I started reading the end first, then skimming over all the extra details.

I also loved how the first few pharm questions had more to do with path than pharm - awesome.

Yesterday was a classic FUBAR'd Wayne day - started with PD at 8:30 in ANN F'ing ARBOR out of there at 11 to go home, change and cram some food in my face, then out to the exam - arriving 10 minutes late

I hate to say it, but I do not think that your story meets the criteria for a FUBAR - but I will give you a SNAFU.
Now, it would have been a FUBAR if they had refused to let you take your exam when you showed up those 10 min late.

I was at the clinical skills center yesterday too. Compared to other medical schools in Michigan that I am very familiar with, we are getting a very sub-par clinical skills education.

Interesting to hear that. Especially since I always heard that Wayne was best in the clinical end of things, of course a lot of that comes during the clinical years where we have to do lots (and I feel like I am learning it much better now than I did at the stupid CSC).

For example, no one could show me how to use my (very expensive and course recommended, panoptic).

Further evidence that you should have listened to all of your 3rd and 4th year friends that told you to save your $$. Since most MDs have never seen a panoptic (let alone used one), I would suggest that you get used to being frustrated about that.

There wasn't the time for all of us to practice all of the skills in the exam.

So practice the skills on your friends/family/anyone that moves slower than you do.

We won't have the opportunity to practice the Female or Male GU exam on a standardized patient before we enter the real world. Plus, those antiquated rubber models are a horrible substitute for the real thing, and the residents didn't have any clue as tlo what we should be taught in regards to the exam. You could tell they we probably just told to be at Scott Hall at a certain time, and not told what to teach. Excellent. Great education. Ends up being a big waste of everyone's time.

The plastic models do suck, but at least they can't hit you when/if you aren't gentle enough. And you are probably correct that the residents were in the dark about what they were supposed to teach you - you didn't actually thing that WSU treated it's residents any less like mushrooms that it treats it treats its medical students, did you?

Status
Not open for further replies.