Wayne State University part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can any student go to a counselor to see grades, or do you have to be specially assigned to one? Because if I can just go to a counselor, why wait to have grades posted.

This is a good strategy - if we all call our councelor when the grades are supposed to be up, I bet they'll miraculously get much faster in posting grades.

So 10 am the morning after the next set of evals are due, lets all call to get our grades, maybe if there's actually a consequence for their incompetence they'll have some motivation to improve.

Paying more money to have every phase of my education get worse is getting old.

Members don't see this ad.

This is a good strategy - if we all call our councelor when the grades are supposed to be up, I bet they'll miraculously get much faster in posting grades.

So 10 am the morning after the next set of evals are due, lets all call to get our grades, maybe if there's actually a consequence for their incompetence they'll have some motivation to improve.

Paying more money to have every phase of my education get worse is getting old.

i'm up for it as long as i don't have to go to scott hall any extra days!

... now back to studying. i have been on an extended vacation... how the heck did they get through 200 pages of notes in 3 days!?!

Well, you need to have a good reason to see the counselor, otherwise it might be considered bugging them. If all 300 of us popped in to check out that one grade it'd make their day miserable, and Dr. Webber, our class of 2009 counselor is a really nice guy and I wouldn't want to bug him unnecessarily. But, that said, he's really approachable about anything that you may be going through in life, and he's really good at what he does.

One thing thee counseling office is good for is they can give you a prinout of your grades thusfar for all our classes. Its nice to have them all in one place, and organized. So, if tomorow the scores are't up, first send an email to Dr. Jackson because this is rediculous, then go to the counseling office and get aprintout of your grades......

:)

Members don't see this ad :)
So do any of you (fun8 excluded, sounds like you've just begun!) feel like you are "dying"?

If you don't watch lectures, Dr. Krell said on monday that they front load the material and we will feel like we are dying by the end of this week. I don't know. I feel like I am having an easier week than I've had in a long time. Is it just me an I'm having a good week, or is it comparatively easier going than units past?

I'm curious because I am notorious for underestimating tests... thinking this is going to be easy, then I get screwed....

Well, you need to have a good reason to see the counselor, otherwise it might be considered bugging them. If all 300 of us popped in to check out that one grade it'd make their day miserable, and Dr. Webber, our class of 2009 counselor is a really nice guy and I wouldn't want to bug him unnecessarily. But, that said, he's really approachable about anything that you may be going through in life, and he's really good at what he does.

One thing thee counseling office is good for is they can give you a prinout of your grades thusfar for all our classes. Its nice to have them all in one place, and organized. So, if tomorow the scores are't up, first send an email to Dr. Jackson because this is rediculous, then go to the counseling office and get aprintout of your grades......

:)

It'd be unfortunate to have to bug Webber, but Jackson could give two squirts of p1ss about our complaining to him, he'll just tell us that there's nothing that can be done, as he has told us a thousand times, then go back to ignoring the incompetence.

So do any of you (fun8 excluded, sounds like you've just begun!) feel like you are "dying"?

If you don't watch lectures, Dr. Krell said on monday that they front load the material and we will feel like we are dying by the end of this week. I don't know. I feel like I am having an easier week than I've had in a long time. Is it just me an I'm having a good week, or is it comparatively easier going than units past?

I'm curious because I am notorious for underestimating tests... thinking this is going to be easy, then I get screwed....

It seems to me that there's a ton of material, but more than half of the notes have already been covered, so we'll see I guess

Dr. Webber would always give me a printout of my grades. He always told me to not let Dr. Speece know about it though. And you should "bug" the counselors. That's what they are getting paid for.

Last time I talked to Speece about my 10 day (not even scored yet) fiasco. Is that it is a multi step process to get the grades scored.

They have to verify - by hand - all of our stupid testing ID #'s and then they run the scantrons...then they enter them into the computer. After that they have to wait for all of our professors to complete question review and make any necessary changes. Then they run the scan-trons again. Then they upload them to blackboard. Then for cumulative grades they have to wait for the course directors to take a look at the averages and curves and set passing and honoring. Then yet another round of uploading, and finally, we have a final grade!

I didn't ask what the average was for Path, just got my score, oops.

Is that it is a multi step process to get the grades scored.

They have to verify - by hand - all of our stupid testing ID #'s and then they run the scantrons...then they enter them into the computer. After that they have to wait for all of our professors to complete question review and make any necessary changes. Then they run the scan-trons again. Then they upload them to blackboard. Then for cumulative grades they have to wait for the course directors to take a look at the averages and curves and set passing and honoring. Then yet another round of uploading, and finally, we have a final grade!

It seems a bit excessive to me. Recheck the first year's test ID's for the first two exams, then stop. I expect people at this level of education to be responsible enough to pencil in their test ID's correctly. As for instructors and course directors, quit using test bank questions and make sure your questions are accurate before you submit them (ie, double check them prior to submission, including having the course director double check the instructors questions, they make the extra money and get to fluff their own CV's and egos with this course director moniker). Scan, post raw scores within hours, post final scores/z-scores after eval date. As for evals, there is no reason it takes people a week, I vote for 24 hours. Per Gordon, as of the last day of evals, less then half were completed this round. They take, what, 5-8 minutes, tops??? Come on, people. I wonder if the admins response to change the system is to cover incompetancy, and/or protect a few people's jobs that could easily be eliminated or given to more efficient and competant people.:eek:

I've seen ~25% increase in tuition and fees since coming here. I expect something more, yet am continually disappointed.

BTW, as of 1045am, my path score isn't posted yet on Bb. wtf? :mad:

Last time I talked to Speece about my 10 day (not even scored yet) fiasco. Is that it is a multi step process to get the grades scored.

I didn't ask what the average was for Path, just got my score, oops.
I thought that the whole point of the scores being "draft" is that we get them before the profs have gotten to throw questions out, then after they do that, we get the "final" scores.

Of course my crucial error is logic.

Anyway - I've spoken to the powers that be, apparently testing services is "working on it, as we speak" so we should have score sometime . . . after the new year?

The scores are starting to go up as of 11:15.... They weren't lying Mendel! :)

They're up now - and I wish they hadn't :(

I feel your pain, Mendel. But at least they're up. Anyone else feel like they can't get started on the next stuff if they're still stressing about the last course?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I'm interested WSU SOM and I would like to learn more about the school. I was wondering what kind of community-based programs medical students are involved in Detroit. For example, do you guys have free clinics for the homeless, do you participate in health issues awareness programs, talk with high school students...etc. Please be as specific as possible and I really appreciate your help, thank you.

Hi, I'm interested WSU SOM and I would like to learn more about the school. I was wondering what kind of community-based programs medical students are involved in Detroit. For example, do you guys have free clinics for the homeless, do you participate in health issues awareness programs, talk with high school students...etc. Please be as specific as possible and I really appreciate your help, thank you.

all the opportunities you listed and many more are available. it would take too long to type them all out here.:
check wayne's website... if you have questions about specific programs, ask away!
http://www.med.wayne.edu/student_affairs/activities_program/organizations.asp
http://www.med.wayne.edu/student%5Faffairs/activities_program/
http://www.med.wayne.edu/student_affairs/activities_program/interest_groups.asp
http://www.med.wayne.edu/academic_student_programs/cocurricular/index.asp
http://www.med.wayne.edu/prospective.asp

i believe wayne has the most or is near the top in # of student organizations/programs/interest groups/etc it offers.

Anyone else notice a rather amusing typo on pg 182 of the Resp. notes. With my med school associated maturity regression - I'm giggling like a little girl.

Anyone else notice a rather amusing typo on pg 182 of the Resp. notes. With my med school associated maturity regression - I'm giggling like a little girl.

my page numbers are really bad. i can't read most of them. is this the page that is talking about bronchiectasis is a necrotizing infection?

nevermind, i found out. i was looking on 132. anyways, yeah i got a laugh out of "persistant ass" as well. i was surprised to find out that you can not only detect "persistant ass" on physical exam & patient hx, but also on chest x-ray. Amazing what science is doing these days!

my page numbers are really bad. i can't read most of them. is this the page that is talking about bronchiectasis is a necrotizing infection?

nevermind, i found out. i was looking on 132. anyways, yeah i got a laugh out of "persistant ass" as well. i was surprised to find out that you can not only detect "persistant ass" on physical exam & patient hx, but also on chest x-ray. Amazing what science is doing these days!
I was pretty suprised to see that a persistent ass is associated with poor clearance of mucus and pneumonia - and that apparently the blood supply is pulmonary - I must have missed the pulmogluteal artery coming off the pulmonary artery.

so do we really need the PD book? they are using a new book this year... bates guide to physical exam & hx 9th ed

I bought it today. Its $89 including tax. Its IS actually a pretty easy read, and there are tons of pictures.

I have no clue iof we will be using it though.

Question to the 3rd and 4th years that may be lurking....

Do you need a windows based PDA during clinical rotations? That is, are there any silly programs that the school requires you to use (like our attendance program) that is ONLY available on windows PPC?

I ask because I have recently played with my husbands palm, and I like it way better... Lighter, looooong battery life, very quick on/off, med apps seem to display better, etc

Just curious if I'm stuck with this axim for 3rd and 4th years too!

thanks!
I hope your clinicals are treating you well, and feel free to share any experiences you guys have had so we have a vague idea of what to expect next year!!!

As for the PD book, I plan on using that old book that they recently replaced (I already have a hand-me-down). I think its going to be handy just so I do have something to read so I know what to expect, but I wonder how much I will use it. My handme down copy was barely cracked by the origonal owner... they said they learned everything by doing, but they went to a different school....

ok, hmm.. maybe i will buy it then. I hate spending all this extra money... books, boards, xmas gifts etc.

anyways, so what should we bring to PD? Do you really think we need to bring otoscope, stethoscope, etc,etc??

Question to the 3rd and 4th years that may be lurking....

Do you need a windows based PDA during clinical rotations? That is, are there any silly programs that the school requires you to use (like our attendance program) that is ONLY available on windows PPC?

But of course, it is Wayne State after all. Only this time it is the program that you are supposed to use to log your clinical experiences (and it is very difficult to use - sometimes it can take >15 min just to log one case, since they have diagnoses and procedures listed in weird places and there isn’t a useful search feature to help you find them)

ok, hmm.. maybe i will buy it then. I hate spending all this extra money... books, boards, xmas gifts etc.

anyways, so what should we bring to PD? Do you really think we need to bring otoscope, stethoscope, etc,etc??

that would depend on which unit of PD you are currently on. Probably safest to err by having more stuff with you than not enough.

do 3rd and 4th years get any time off during christmas?

SO freakin' sick of studying!!! I can't wait for x-mas break.

I have to force myself to go to the library and hole up without anything/one around me or I will sit and surf the channels/net or talk and not get anything done for hours at a time.

Need - brain - break! *whimper*

do 3rd and 4th years get any time off during christmas?

Yes. We have our exams on the 21st and then start our next rotations on Jan 2nd. So that's about 1 1/2 weeks off. I really need it after the ass kicking surgery has been giving me too.

Why the f--- does Palmer use CXR in all of his lectures, then switch to roentgenograph in occupational lung disease - is he trying to get one of us to go postal?!?!?!

Why the f--- does Palmer use CXR in all of his lectures, then switch to roentgenograph in occupational lung disease - is he trying to get one of us to go postal?!?!?!

he said during lecture and on dicussion board that these will not be tested. he better not be lying!

yea, I know - it just bugs me the way he changes his nomenclature from lecture to lecture - like saying idiopathic interstitial fibrosis to refer idiopathic pulmonary fibrosis despite the fact that he had never used IIF before - I actually had to spend a few minutes to double check that, all because he's too lazy to proof his notes.

I need a vacation

well i thought that was pretty hard! stupid test.

Oh look, shocker, no grades yet

Resp scores are up (prelims). No scores for the pharm portion yet. I'm just singing praises to the Land of Guaranteed Pass! Now I can rest easy until Jan 2nd.

A 79 average for the class as a whole...thought it would be higher than that, but I suspect that everyone was burnt out by the time this test rolled around.

What is everyone doing for the break? We have no money, therefore we are sticking to home. On a positive note though, I finished my x-mas shopping yesterday!

And I haven't start mine. Perhaps I'll get around to that after the Shelf on Thurs.

Ahhh! Test after test after test + baby = Internet shopping! About 30% of my shopping was from the internet, another 30% on Black Friday (aka day after Thanksgiving)...and the rest was split between all year long and - well - yesterday! I love Amazon!

And I haven't start mine. Perhaps I'll get around to that after the Shelf on Thurs.

I got about 1/3 of mine done using Amazon.com. Stupid super-saver shipping is screwing me though. Most of my presents won't get here til after Xmas. Hopefully no one will steal them off the porch while we're down in NM.

Never opened the PD book. There is a packet out there with all the key stuff to know.

And yes, the program you need to log your cases for certain rotations requires pocket PC.

Tomorrow marks the end of our first six months of year 3. Where did the time go? Only a year and a half left...

Good luck to everyone tomorrow, and merry Christmas.

Ok, so this is to bump this up - we fell off the first page.

And a question - anybody have an opinion on using older versions of BRS path and phys to study for step I with? I got my hands on two older editions, and I'm wondering if I really need to get the newer ones. Thanks.

Congrats to all my fellow third years who made it over the hump. It's all downhill from here! (Hopefully...) I'm loving this elective schedule compared to surgery! It's awesome not having to get there til 9am and leaving by 3pm!

I'm loving this elective schedule compared to surgery! It's awesome not having to get there til 9am and leaving by 3pm!

I don't recall if you have already mentioned it to me, but what elective are you doing?

did the lectures by walz and lash from yesterday take place? anyone know why they are not being streamed.... if my memory serves me correctly (which it may still be on vacation), these profs streamed their lectures before... why not now?

look under pharm section for those ones. sorry 'bout lack of typing skill...baby is occupying other arm!

p.s. don't forget about required lab today!

look under pharm section for those ones. sorry 'bout lack of typing skill...baby is occupying other arm!

p.s. don't forget about required lab today!

thanks! my brain must be on vacation! ha ha

I don't recall if you have already mentioned it to me, but what elective are you doing?

Toxicology. I figured it'd be a good rotation to do considering my interest in EM.

I just started to watch the review from today and the professor is reading some case study sheet. Was this handed out during the class or is it in our notes/blackboard somewhere? Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.