Gaining Michigan State Unviersity CHM in-state tuition

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

turica

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
I am a Michigan resident who attended UCLA for my undergraduate studies. Because I studied there for 4 years, I need to re-apply to gain in-state tuition for MSU CHM.

They asked for a Michigan high school transcript which I do not have because I attended crash courses abroad during my high school years due to family reasons. Although I'd travel and come back to Michigan for the crash courses, I still permanently resided in Michigan and so did my parents.

They also asked for federal tax and income state tax papers but my father who was self-employed retired after 2010. I gave them the 2009 and 2010 papers.

Now the burden of proof lies on me but I'm unsure of what I can provide them. I gave them my parents' lease agreements from 2009-2017.
I showed them my entry visa in 2006 (I am in immigrant since 2006 and have been living in MI since then). I gave them my Social Security Number (issued in MI) and the letter it came with which was directed to my parents' MI address.
I even gave them a copy of my expired MI ID card which was expired in 2012 meaning it was issued sometime in 2008.
I gave them insurance bills and other bills that my parents have received in the past year.
Gave them my parents MI IDs which expire in 2016.

Anyone who has been in a similar situation which can help me out? What else can I provide?

Its just absurd because it seems like I cannot get in-state tuition in ANY state. Not CA or MI. So I am stateless?

Any input would be great help.

Thanks

Members don't see this ad.

This seems kind of crazy to have to jump through so many hoops! I was a Wisconsin resident when I applied initially, but I'd been going to school in Michigan for 5 years. The Wisconsin schools still considered me in-state, but because I'd moved to Michigan for school I wasn't considered in-state for MSU or the other Michigan schools. I ended up graduating and working in Michigan for a year to gain in-state residency for the Michigan schools then, and they never made me send all that proof and such.