Wake Forest vs. Temple

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

wake or temple?

• wake

Votes: 31 64.6%
  • temple

Votes: 17 35.4%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.

orphn

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
as of right now these are my two choices, i was hoping for some opinions on the schools and any suggestions as to which you'd pick. i'm from CA if that holds any relevance. thanks! :)

Members don't see this ad.

i don't really know anything about the curriculum of the schools, but based purely on location, i would pick wake forest. i hear NC is absolutely beautiful/everyone i know who has ever lived there has really loved it. having seen temple, it's in a pretty seedy area of philly

This is a complete location/vibe choice. Do you want to be in Philly/Northeast or Winston-Salem/South? Do you want to learn clinical skills in a disparate community or a more well to do one? How did you feel about each school for second look day?

It's really about preference and all people are going to give you are their preference. Mine is Northeast, could never do the South.

They are also ranked the same so you don't have to consider the prestige factor at all, if you care about that. Though... if you want to do a residency in the Northeast I think Temple would be a better choice since it's better known in the area.

Members don't see this ad :)
hate to bump my own thread :sleep: but i was hoping that the people voting could perhaps reply with some reasons why they'd pick wake over temple or vice versa.

for example, i know that WF has changed their grading system to honors/high pass/pass/fail whereas temple is still pure p/f. since almost everybody i've ever met loves p/f with all their heart, i'd really love to hear why most people are voting wake over temple

hate to bump my own thread :sleep: but i was hoping that the people voting could perhaps reply with some reasons why they'd pick wake over temple or vice versa.

for example, i know that WF has changed their grading system to honors/high pass/pass/fail whereas temple is still pure p/f. since almost everybody i've ever met loves p/f with all their heart, i'd really love to hear why most people are voting wake over temple

I'm pretty sure they said that Temple was H/P/F at 2nd look day. But above 93% is honors so there isn't as much competition between students.

I'm pretty sure they said that Temple was H/P/F at 2nd look day. But above 93% is honors so there isn't as much competition between students.

They said this at interview and second look. At our interview day, they also told us they never scale the curve up but sometimes they score it down, so honors might be 90%+ or something like that.

OP, I never had any intention of applying to Wake Forest but I'll be matriculating at Temple. As a Philadelphia native, I daresay that North Philadelphia, the neighborhood where Temple is located in (both the main campus and the health science campus), scares me more than people that aren't from around here. I've even posted before on this site about it (before my application cycle). I gotta say, though, I've felt completely safe when I'm on-campus, and Temple is very accessible via two of Philadelphia's most major streets (it's on Broad Street/611 and the med school and hospital are a mile south of the Roosevelt Boulevard). Getting to TUSM from a number of Philadelphia's nicer areas and even the suburbs is easy.

As you probably already know that you'll get some really awesome clinical experience thanks to Temple's inner-city location. Lots of trauma, and lots of people that have waited too long before going to see the doctor.

ETA: Also, thank you SO much for posting this in the proper forum. :)

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.