VCU Postbacc Fall 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
vcu doesn't have an "smp". it is a one year certificate program available for 6 departments (physio,biochem,anat/histo,microbio,pharm/tox,and human gen). http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/graduate/premed_cert/index.html check out the website. in the certificate program, you take a year of classes. your department dictates the classes you need to take. if you finish the certificate program, which takes 1 year, then you have the option to obtain a masters from your department if you spend the following year doing research. this program is a semi "smp" because the classes during the certificate year are graduate level in biochemistry, human physio, cell physio, and electives. in addition, some of the professors from your core classes teach at the med school.

Members don't see this ad.

VCU's program is an SMP in all but name. My advice if you do plan on doing the program is apply for either the Biochemistry or Physiology department. That way you're able to take the Physiology class which is exactly the same as the med students' Physiology class (same teachers, etc.).

well the results for the 1st biochem exam is up. avg 103.9/120. Looks like all the sdner's rocked the exam with scores well above avg. Well done guys :D

Members don't see this ad :)
Well we've finished 2 exams for physio and 1 for biochem so far. The first two physio tests weren't that bad overall. I felt the 2nd one for physio could've been much worse. Overall the class average for both physio tests was about 81%. Physiology is definitely picking up. We just started the autonomic system and we're going to have cardiology soon enough.

Biochem's 1st test was also easy. Chlebowski picked a lot of questions straight out of his old tests with some re-wording here and there. The class average for that test was 87%. Drug dependence on the other hand was ridiculous. That first quiz just sucked. I'm not sure how the grading works, considering it has a reputation as an easy class, but people definitely need to study for those quizzes.

Overall the workload seems manageable but it is highly recommended to not be working while you're doing this program.

FYI, Biochem, Physio, and Drug Dependence are all video recorded and uploaded online. You never really have to leave your apartment.

FYI, Biochem, Physio, and Drug Dependence are all video recorded and uploaded online. You never really have to leave your apartment.

...says the guy who never goes to physio. Haha hope your head didn't get too big from Kalimi's email.

Last edited:
why sleep in class when u can sleep at home?

peterson doesn't disappoint. 40 m/c questions and the answer choice for e) is "none of the above or more than one of the above or cannot be calculated".

really, really scared about phis test #3. (help?)

Anyone scared about Chen? Jesus that guy gives us a lot of material.

after that last biochem test, i need to redeem myself. :(

really, really scared about phis test #3. (help?)

If test 3 is cardio, you really need to prepare well for it. The test has a ton of very tricky material and there are more questions than the other tests. Much of the material lends itself to combo questions so that they will combine info from lectures 1 and 10 and make you reason out the info.

The best advice I can give you is to keep up. Know the material after everyday because playing catch up doesnt work. This was my lowest grade of the class but not by a whole lot b/c I was specifically told to study hard.

Good luck

If test 3 is cardio, you really need to prepare well for it. The test has a ton of very tricky material and there are more questions than the other tests. Much of the material lends itself to combo questions so that they will combine info from lectures 1 and 10 and make you reason out the info.

The best advice I can give you is to keep up. Know the material after everyday because playing catch up doesnt work. This was my lowest grade of the class but not by a whole lot b/c I was specifically told to study hard.

Good luck

How much harder is cardio than the first two tests? Overall I didn't think the first two tests were too bad. Other than having to pay attention to a question's wording, they were pretty straightforward.

Thanks for the heads up.

Members don't see this ad :)
The questions werent any more difficult it was the material that was harder.

To give you an idea, in my med school class, the cardiac phys test was the lowest test grade of the year. It is just a lot of material to consolidate.

Keep on track and you will do fine.

what is your definition of "fine"? 100% or >90%

did anyone else start consuming more caffeine since starting this program?

Last edited:
i got an 80 on that test in the Cert program, the average was low 70s

Holy ****! Looks like I might as well give up.

I'm giving up like I have given up studying for Chen's exam. :(

wowwww. peterson's portion sucked again.

Actually...Cardio was better than expected but still hard! My lowest test score in Physiology so far!

when do we sign up for spring classes???

what electives are there for spring semester?

i calculated my grades. im at a low A for each class. eeps.

only neuroanatomy sounds fun. no +/- grades so all you need to do is hang on.

Last edited:
wow...i read the last few posts and it reminded me of last year when i was in the program. cabel library..4th floor..many endless nights. hang in there guys!

cabel 1st floor. cabel needs to be 24 hours.

How's the program guys?

Any news from med schools or dental schools?

program is toughhhhhh, but doable. physio final on friday. how's 3rd year? which rotation are you in?

Third year is what it is. Has its highs and lows. I'm on neurology right now which is different to say the least since we dont really do much during the day. I just came off of surgery doing 80+ hour weeks + studying on top of that so it's weird to see the light of day.

Good luck on the physio final. It's hard but I thought the tests during the rest of the year were trickier.

IT IS FINALLY OVER!!!!!! man, fall semester was like climbing everest. hope everyone has a good winter break.

Physio final sucked. I totally blew it. I was borderline A and now a definite B. Already had a B average in Biochem and now this. Man I guess VCU med school will forever be a dream.

God I hope there's a curve for Physiology. Anyone know how many points it's usually curved?

The curve is a lot smaller for physio than other classes. Normally either an 88 or an 89 is an A. They really like to keep the number of people who get As to a minimum. For the biochem class my year an 83 was an A. Everybody and their sister got an A

Hang in their guys! I think second semester for you all would be much better. You all should use pickaprofessor.com just to get a feel how how difficult a course is and percentages of A'sB'sC's etc. that are given out and read reviews of prior students who took the class that you search for. Honestly, I think if all of you wash your undergraduate gpa out the water by like .6 points or .5 points for your graduate gpa in addition to the difficult courses you guys just took, schools should look at you with a very relaxed eye and not so much selective in nature. and also with all the studying you guys have just done....take that same focus and strategy and apply it to your mcats. you guys will do very well im sure. good luck. and may all of you be successful. med school needs more people like you all in addition to the maturity and experiences you have gained thus far.....

I would be surprised if that was not an A

grades are in:
physio: cut off at 88.97% or maybe lower. ave for final was upper 70s, mode=80, so it was easier than other years.
biochem: cut off was 80%. very generous cut off.
drug dependence: cut off was mid 80s. very generous cut off again.
the curves for this fall has been very nice. hopefully it carries over to the spring.

I'm looking to enter into the Post-Baccalaureate Health Sciences Certificate Program in Fall 2009. I've looked over the website and have exchanged a few emails with Dr. Leibowitz, but still have a few questions:

1) Is the 3.0 the absolute minimum gpa to get in? I will probably only have about a 3.05 when I apply, so do I still have a chance of being admitted?

2) Those who are in the program now, are you finding it doable or overwhelming?

3) Any other thoughts or experiences with this program?

Thanks.

What is everyone taking as their elective this spring?

does anyone know about neuroanatomy? is it as hard as mammalian physiology?

looks like same level as histo.

I thought neuroanatomy was MUCH harder than phys. That said, if you plan on going to medical school, I would highly recommend it. In grad school you do in 14 weeks what medical students do in 5.

i heard from two of my friends who took neuro that it was a little easier than phis, but just as time-consuming. like phis, there's no curve. but they also told me that it was their favorite class, that it looks really good if you get an A in it, and it would definitely make it easier for you in med school. BUT i'm a little worried that taking it might jeopardize my grades. going from drug dependence last semester to neuroanatomy this semester seems like a high jump.

You can do it. I think it all comes down to discipline.

Barbour's test this year was multiple choice. That doesn't mean it was easy. Some of her experimental questions were a little tricky. I have a feeling that the average for this one will be on the lower side. Neuroanatomy's this Monday. Scary......

Looks like no one on the forums is applying to VCU Cert this year.