VCU Postbacc Fall 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

kbyws37

10+ Year Member
5+ Year Member
15+ Year Member
Reaction score
Fall 2008

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
I applied!

Major: Business with a concentration in Finance
Cum GPA:3.6
BCPM: 2.7 (only 2 sciences and 1 math)

I'm a resident of Virginia, but attend a New Hamshire school so if I get in I would love to go back. I've never been to the VCU campus but I hear its nice. Only thing I hate about Virginia is all the planes that fly by because of NAS Oceana. I grew up in Virginia Beach so I had to live with loud planes all day. As far as my application goes I sent it out 2nd or 3rd week of November and I have not heard anything back as of yet. I will keep you posted :)

I applied!

Major: Business with a concentration in Finance
Cum GPA:3.6
BCPM: 2.7 (only 2 sciences and 1 math)

I'm a resident of Virginia, but attend a New Hamshire school so if I get in I would love to go back. I've never been to the VCU campus but I hear its nice. Only thing I hate about Virginia is all the planes that fly by because of NAS Oceana. I grew up in Virginia Beach so I had to live with loud planes all day. As far as my application goes I sent it out 2nd or 3rd week of November and I have not heard anything back as of yet. I will keep you posted :)

Hey guys.

Graduated from UVA 2005 w/~2.8/2.9 33
Did the VCU/MCV program in '06 and subsequently got into MCV medical school that year. I am currently a second year at MCV.

Last year and the year before I was pretty vocal about the program and will continue to do so if you guys have questions. It looks like they have removed some of the other threads from the archives but if you guys have questions feel free to post them here or PM me and I'll try to get to them as quickly as possible. For those interested, last years thread had some decent info. Here is the link: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=366776

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey guys.

Graduated from UVA 2005 w/~2.8/2.9 33
Did the VCU/MCV program in '06 and subsequently got into MCV medical school that year. I am currently a second year at MCV.

Last year and the year before I was pretty vocal about the program and will continue to do so if you guys have questions. It looks like they have removed some of the other threads from the archives but if you guys have questions feel free to post them here or PM me and I'll try to get to them as quickly as possible. For those interested, last years thread had some decent info. Here is the link: http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=366776

Thanks instatewaiter.
your informative posts are one of the reasons i know so much about the program and why i'm applying to it! :)

Hi I am confused by timelines of SMPs like VCU's say i go to VCU in Fall 08 when do I apply for med school Fall 09 or 10.

Thanks

Hi I am confused by timelines of SMPs like VCU's say i go to VCU in Fall 08 when do I apply for med school Fall 09 or 10.

Thanks

Well it really depends on a few things: First have you taken the MCAT and do you have all necessary LORs?

If you have an MCAT score that you are pleased with (ie above a 28) you might as well apply in the Fall of 08. That means that you will be sending in your primaries BEFORE you actually start classes. So, if you do well in the program, you would matriculate into medical school in August of 09 (Fall). So you would finish up the program, take a few months off and then begin medical school. There could potentially be no glide year if you do this.

So if you choose to apply to medical school prior to finishing the program there are a few things that you need to do:
1) Make sure to include your classes in the course work portion of AMCAS and make mention of it in your personal statement. This way if your grades are below a school's cut off you will be placed on hold for grades because they will know that you are doing the program.

2) Do well in the program. You want above a 3.7, preferably a 4.0. The main semester you need to worry about is the 1st. The ADCOM will have never get to see the 2nd semester grades before they make a decision on you so they rely on your good performance in 1st semester. Go balls to the wall.

3) Make friends with a professor at VCU/MCV and get him/her to write another letter of rec. You probably want to choose one from Physiology or Biochemistry.

4) Set up an apt with Dr Whitehurst-Cook (Dr WC) the dean of MCV medical school admissions. You first want to get your face and name out there. She is also a good person to bounce ideas off of and see weaknesses in you app that need to be fixed.

5) Every few weeks, send your grades and current standings in your classes to Dr WC to show your progress. This serves 2 purposes, it keeps your name out there and it may serve to get you an interview earlier.

i'm applying i'm applying!! =) Got my letters of rec requests in and am working on my application right now. Hopefully they'll accept my dat scores! I'll have to call them :D

i'm trying to enter med school fall of 2009 (no glide year).
my gpa is not very high (~3.16) and i haven't taken my mcat yet.
i'm going to submit my amcas as soon as it opens during the summer (i heard the earlier you apply, the better), which means i'll be listing my postbacc coursework. but b/c i'm applying so early, wouldn't the admissions people just wait for my postbacc grades which means it'll be around january.... so i would have applied early for nothing?

sorry if i sound confusing.

i'm going to submit my amcas as soon as it opens during the summer (i heard the earlier you apply, the better), which means i'll be listing my postbacc coursework. but b/c i'm applying so early, wouldn't the admissions people just wait for my postbacc grades which means it'll be around january.... so i would have applied early for nothing?

You stated that you will submit your AMCAS this summer and that it will include your postbacc coursework- so are you doing a pre-req post bacc currently? The VCU program often spoken of here is for students seeking to enhance their UG record (not for people who have not taken the pre-reqs, although I think they do have a program for that as well).

To answer your question though, it is *always* best to submit your application at the earliest possible date. You can update schools on how you are doing in your current coursework- but you can't prevent AMCAS or admissions offices from losing parts of your application and causing long delays.

This is right, many schools may place you on hold for grades but others will not. I applied early. It is nice to get it out of the way.

besides vcu, what other schools have graduates been accepted to?

This is a question for people who did the program...I called Dr. Ford today and spoke to him and really like what I hear. However I just read that the acceptance rate is 25% into med school? Is there a reason for this? Are the students not working hard enough, is the program too hard? or is it just that this program isn't very well known? Please anyone?

Instatewaiter,

What were the experiences of you and other program participants as far as traveling out of state for interviews. Is it a big problem to miss a day of class? Or do most people only interview at Virginia schools?

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad :)
besides vcu, what other schools have graduates been accepted to?

WVU, EVMS, Meharry, and of course VCU/MCV. I am sure there are others but these are just the schools some of my friends got into. If you want a more extensive list contact Dr Grogan (biochem), Dr Ford (phys) or Dr Leichnitz (anat)

At least when I did the program, most people were from Virginia so they tended to apply to Virginia schools.

This is a question for people who did the program...I called Dr. Ford today and spoke to him and really like what I hear. However I just read that the acceptance rate is 25% into med school? Is there a reason for this? Are the students not working hard enough, is the program too hard? or is it just that this program isn't very well known? Please anyone?

There are various reasons:
1) The entrance requirements are quite low meaning there are many students that just cant hack the work. Only around 2/3 end up finishing the program. The rest withdraw with poor grades or dont maintain a 3.0 (must have 3.0 to finish as below a 3.0 in grad school is a failing grade).

2) The program is difficult. So if people either dont have the work ethic or dont have the brains to consolidate all the information in the short amount of time they will not do well and subsequently will not get into med school.

3) The program is not as well known as some of the better known programs like Georgetown.

4) The classes are pretty big- around 60-100 meaning there are a good amt of people who get in each year. Compare this to EVMS which has a 65% acceptance rate but a 20 person class. So while EVMS might get 13-15 people a year VCU gets in 15-25. So it's as if EVMS just picks the best students while VCU lets in everyone and lets them fend for themselves.

5) This stat may not include the second year of the program for those who need it.

In my opinion, anyone who would thrive at Georgetown, EVMS or one of the other programs would do equally well at MCV/VCU just the requirments for the VCU program is not as strenuous so the caliber students that attend are not the same as say Georgetown.

Instatewaiter,

What were the experiences of you and other program participants as far as traveling out of state for interviews. Is it a big problem to miss a day of class? Or do most people only interview at Virginia schools?

Thanks!

I cant speak to this. After I realized that I was doing very well in the program, I only sent out secondaries to Virginia schools since i am instate (hence the name- look I'm not that creative)

Missing a day of class does make life more difficult since you have to play catch-up but it is definitely do-able and not frowned upon by faculty. While class attendance is expected, it is by no means mandatory. There are some classes that you dont really have to attend because the information is presented so well in the syllabus.

I know the GPA requirement is around 2.8, which is what i have, but what's the low end for the MCAT as far as this VCU program is concerned. I probably should have canceled my score this summer since I was sick the night before, but I got a 21, nothing I can do about it now. I'm retaking it this April, but i've been wanting to get into the program since last spring and I don't want my low MCAT to keep me from it. I plan to apply over Christmas break, does anyone know the overall acceptance rate of the program?

Thoughts?

Low end of the MCAT is around a 22 or 23.

You could do one of 2 things: Take the GRE which is also accepted or wait to apply until later in the year. Their acceptance rate to get into the program I suspect is really, really high. I have yet to meet anyone who has applied and been rejected from all 6 programs.

In all honesty I would recommend you wait to get your score back before you apply. Since you have a low GPA, if you dont have a decent MCAT score your chances of medical school acceptance, even with a good performance in the program, are slim. Now if your practice exam scores are around a 29 and above you might want to just take the GRE and apply now since you probably will pull out that decent MCAT score.

Generally SMPs are for people with low grades and good MCAT scores. It is much more difficult to overcome 2 low numbers at once.

I'd like to apply too! I haven't taken my MCATs and I still have a semester left of college. I will be taking the MCATs in April 08. Realistically, I expect to graduate with a 2.8/2.6 cum/bcpm.

I know that VCU is rolling admission, and the rule of thumb for rolling is to apply early, but since I don't have my MCATs ready, I'm not so sure what to do. When should I apply? Should I just gun it and send in everything?

Thank you everybody! Thank you instate!

o yea,

where else are you guys applying to?

is this mainly a feeder into VCU med school, or can you expect to get into other schools? also i'm a non-VA resident does that matter also?

thanks for the help!

I did the VCU Physio program back in 2001-2002. I then went on to do my MPH at GW and was accepted to an osteopathic med school (PCOM) in 2004. Thanks to my experience at VCU, I hit the ground running in med school and ended up in the top quintile of my class.

There seems to be at least one person from the VCU program each year who ends up at PCOM. This is either pure coincidence or perhaps even some favoritism for VCU post-bacc kids. So for those of you considering the program as a stepping stone to med school, please do consider PCOM on your list of med schools.

I got a SOLID education at PCOM and would send my kids here in a heart beat. I'm a 4th year now and applying for ophthalmology residency. Waiting for match day in < 3 weeks!

G'luck guys..:)

Do I apply using the graduate study application? http://www.graduate.vcu.edu/admission/prospective/apply.html ?
Or is there a separate application for the program?
Aside from the GPA and MCAT requirements, what else is required (ie. how many lor, from science profs, from non science profs, from extra curr)?

Thanks

Not sure if it has changed since I did the program but I applied using the general VCU graduate application. While you take classes at the MCV campus of VCU, the program is through the VCU graduate school (on the monroe park campus).

You used to be able to apply to all 6 programs with 1 application but I believe that this has changed.

I had to have 2 LORs but I basically sent in all my LORs for medical school.

I did the VCU Physio program back in 2001-2002. I then went on to do my MPH at GW and was accepted to an osteopathic med school (PCOM) in 2004. Thanks to my experience at VCU, I hit the ground running in med school and ended up in the top quintile of my class.

An excellent point that I dont think I mentioned. The program not only serves to get you into medical school but because you have taken much of the 1st year curriculum you'll be in great shape first year. Almost all of the people in my med class that did the Certificate program are in the top quartile of the class.

Good luck in the match Saib.
(BTW for those unaware, ophtho is far and away one of the most competitive specialties so Saib must be doing a lot of things right).

Where do you write about your extra curr, jobs, volunteer?

An excellent point that I dont think I mentioned. The program not only serves to get you into medical school but because you have taken much of the 1st year curriculum you'll be in great shape first year. Almost all of the people in my med class that did the Certificate program are in the top quartile of the class.

Good luck in the match Saib.
(BTW for those unaware, ophtho is far and away one of the most competitive specialties so Saib must be doing a lot of things right).

Thanks for the kind words bro.

You've been instrumental to A LOT of people on here who have the same dream you and I once had- the dream of one day getting into med school. I'm sure I speak for everyone on here when I say hats off to you for being so damn helpful. These VCU post-bacc threads would have died out a long time ago without your continued insight.

Keep up the strong work. I'm sure you're going to blow Step I out of the water!

I know I should contact the school on this, and I will after the holidays and post an answer if I get one...

Instatewaiter or other VCU SMPers,

Did out-of-state students have success at gaining acceptance to the same med schools? Obviously, for most states, it's more difficult to gain acceptance to state schools if you're not a resident. It seems like most of the SMPs funnel successful students into their med school or a handful of close ones that know about the program.

I dont really know where everyone in my cert class was from but I do know that at least 3 of the people in my med school class who did the certificate program are from out of state.

Wish I could give you more info. Perhaps you could call the dean of medical school admissions (dr Michelle whitehurst-cook) or one of the directors of the certificate programs. They could give you a more difinitive answer.

There's always so much talk of 1st semester.

How is 2nd semester? How are the classes, especially the cardio elective one? I felt that Phis 501 was the hardest/worst out of the fall semester. Is Cell Phis similar?

Any advice on finishing up well?
Thanks

There's always so much talk of 1st semester.

How is 2nd semester? How are the classes, especially the cardio elective one? I felt that Phis 501 was the hardest/worst out of the fall semester. Is Cell Phis similar?

Any advice on finishing up well?
Thanks

No doubt phys is the hardest of the courses 1st semester (with the exception of Histo which is horrendous I have heard)

Cell phys was much easier compared with mammalian phys. I pretty much didnt go to class and just used the powerpoints. I would study 2 days the exam. I got an A.

I didnt take the cardio elective w/ Fabiato but I have heard some people liked it. He is definitely a character.

Biochem I thought was about the same second semester.

I took neuroanatomy as my elective. For medical school it is definitely worth it especially since it is one of the harder courses 1st year. It is a difficult class though. I felt is was more difficult than phys. I tend to be a conceptual person so physiology kinda clicked with me. Neuroanatomy is more rote memorization and I suck at that. There were so many random factoids to know in neuro. In phys I felt like those factoids were unified by the functionality of it all.

how big is the class size? 100s? anyone know of the admission rate, like how many ppl versus getting in?

You are mixed in with PhD students, those getting masters, and some NP students so its hard to get an accurate number. I would guess that there are between 60-100 in the program. Not all of those people are trying for allo medical school: some to genetic counciling, some as a second route to masters/PhD, some to dental school and finally some to osteopathic schools.

Admission rate into the program is really high (ie those who apply to do the program).

Admission rate into medical school is not quite as good. There are various reasons for the the strongest being that the admission criteria are very lax compared to other 'SMPs'. You need above a 2.8 and 22 MCAT and not too many people get rejected. There really are some people who just cant handle the curriculum and either fail out, withdraw or dont maintain a 3.0 so dont technically finish. It is terrible to say it but those people just dont belong in medical school. I would guess that the admission rate is between 15-25% but it may be higher since not everyone is gunning for med school.

So each year between 10-20 get in.

so 60-100 ppl in the smp program and very easy to get into the smp program? i have a 3.0 gpa and taking the jan mcat. i wanted to get a sense of my chances of getting in.

If you do decently on the MCAT (>28), you will in all likelihood get in.

I am also seriously considering applying for the Fall of '08.

I graduated in '04 with 2 degrees (Biochemistry and Psychology), but probably bit off more than I could chew with classes, research, volunteering, and teaching all at the same time....as I only got out with 3.07. I also went to grad school for a year in Neuroscience, but dropped out after the first year b/c of a serious lack of funding opportunities and cancellation of the project I wanted to do for my thesis, but achieved a 3.98 taking classes at the masters, doctoral, and veterinary school levels.

The doctoral level classes in Neurophysiology, Neurochemistry and Neuropsychology were definitely allot of work and info being thrown at you, but in all honesty I thought they were basically just pure memorization, much easier than what an upper level Chemistry class can do to you.

I also took MCATs while in gradschool, but completely bombed them with a 19...really not sure what happened as I was getting upper 26-28's on Kaplan's practice exams...so I didn't get into any med schools although I did fill out secondaries for every school I applied to.

Anyways, I contacted Dr. Leichnetz...and he told me that the requirements to get into the Anatomy & Neurobiology program were higher than for the other 5 programs. They require a min 3.0gpa, and 25 MCAT or 1200 GRE, and only accept around 20 students per year. This was the program I was initially interested in b/c of the Neuro parts...but all the talk about the histo class taking time away from other classes bothers me.

Also, I see allot of people are already applying.....but Dr. Leichnetz said there is no need to apply before April for entering in the fall. So it doesn't sound like rolling admissions to me. I thought I also read somewhere that they don't announce admissions until June anyways....?

I've registered to take MCATs again this April, but am wondering what I should do....as I've been out in the work world for 2 years as a chemist.

Personally I think the first thing you should do is retake the MCAT. Begin studying now so that you can get it under your belt before classes begin. You wont really have time once classes start. If you get a decent score, then think about applying to some programs. Otherwise keep working as a chemist or apply to DO schools.

yay just sent in my app! let the waiting begin!

when does vcu start looking at applications?

I know this was asked but I wasn't quite sure on the answer. What all is needed to apply to the program? I'm assuming it's just transcripts, test scores and the graduate school application.

Also I read somewhere that you can apply to two of the programs with the same application. How do u specify this on the application?

I believe you also need some LORs and a personal statement of some sort.

You used to be able to apply to all 6 on the same application but I was informed that was changed to 2. There should be a line where you specify which programs you want to apply to. That is where I listed the programs. I would contact the graduate school and make sure you can still apply to more than one on a single applicaiton.

hung: they should have started looking at applications. It is rolling admissions. Most people tend to apply later in the year after medical school applications are complete. It may take them a little while to go over your application as they may be waiting for the big rush of applications to arrive before making any decisions. It took them a little over a month to get back to me.

I'm doing the Jan 26 mcat so I won't get my score until end of feb. Should I compile my application now so I send off everything once score comes back? Does applying early really increase your chances?

I'm a pre-dent and I too am applying to this program.....can u tell me if the grades from the classes you take go under undergrad or grad GPA?

I'm doing the Jan 26 mcat so I won't get my score until end of feb. Should I compile my application now so I send off everything once score comes back? Does applying early really increase your chances?

The program is generally pretty easy to get into. Focus on the MCAT now and when you get your scores back think about applying.

When I applied I had already completed the cycle of medical applications and then screwed around for a month or so before i got my application in. I probably applied sometime around mid April.

I'm a pre-dent and I too am applying to this program.....can u tell me if the grades from the classes you take go under undergrad or grad GPA?

The program is a graduate program so the grades go under graduate.

Therefore this program will not improve your undergraduate GPA but given a strong enough performance, it does a good job of making up for crappy grades.

does anyone know where I can find the exact cost of this program for out of staters?

There seems to be at least one person from the VCU program each year who ends up at PCOM. This is either pure coincidence or perhaps even some favoritism for VCU post-bacc kids. So for those of you considering the program as a stepping stone to med school, please do consider PCOM on your list of med schools.

I got a SOLID education at PCOM and would send my kids here in a heart beat. I'm a 4th year now and applying for ophthalmology residency. Waiting for match day in < 3 weeks!

G'luck guys..:)

Just an update guys. I matched allopathic ophtho!

(Shameless plug for PCOM and the VCU Post-bacc program).

G'luck to everyone. Never give up.

Took me a while to find it but here it is off the website:

Tuition, 9-15 credits $7,952.00
Overload Fee of $884.00 per hour required for more than 15 credits.
University Fee, 9-15 credits $702.50
Student Government Association Fee, 9-15 credits $18.00
Technology Fee, 9-15 credits $21.50
Health Fee, 9-15 credits $88.00
Capital Outlay Fee, 9-15 credits $84.00
No housing selected $0.00
No meal plan selected $0.00 Contact Dining Services for details
$8,866.00

So out of state is a grand total of $8,866 per semester or $17732 for the year.

instate is $4442/semester or 8884 for the year