VCU Postbacc Fall 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
3.5 graduate gpa after completion of the cert program, so gpa in the program. MCV accepts a mixture of cert/masters students, students applying to MCV while in it and those that finished the previous year(s). If you start with the program with a year or two of upward trend in your gpa, 30+ mcat, clinical exp, and applied early, you'll have a good chance for interview. If you start the program with no upward trend, Dr. WC advises applying after completion. More proof of your academic abilities, the better. My info isn't 100%, but this is what I gathered from my appointments with Dr. WC

Members don't see this ad.

3.5 graduate gpa after completion of the cert program, so gpa in the program. MCV accepts a mixture of cert/masters students, students applying to MCV while in it and those that finished the previous year(s). If you start with the program with a year or two of upward trend in your gpa, 30+ mcat, clinical exp, and applied early, you'll have a good chance for interview. If you start the program with no upward trend, Dr. WC advises applying after completion. More proof of your academic abilities, the better. My info isn't 100%, but this is what I gathered from my appointments with Dr. WC

Wait...so essentially, students in the CERT program need to wait for a full-year of grades before they can take advantage of the guaranteed interview component? Is this used to "trap" students into staying for the second year to get the master's degree?

Also, my logic may be flawed but, if this is the case the only students who get interviews for MCV in the CERT program during that first year are those who would have ended up getting interviews anyways...regardless if they were in the program or not...so the guaranteed interview only benefits those who are willing to wait two years to get it...right?

Thanks...

Wait...so essentially, students in the CERT program need to wait for a full-year of grades before they can take advantage of the guaranteed interview component? Is this used to "trap" students into staying for the second year to get the master's degree?
It is more proof for the med school that you are a qualified candidate. I wouldn't say "trap", but a way to get more researchers.

Also, my logic may be flawed but, if this is the case the only students who get interviews for MCV in the CERT program during that first year are those who would have ended up getting interviews anyways...regardless if they were in the program or not...so the guaranteed interview only benefits those who are willing to wait two years to get it...right?
The guaranteed interview helps those that apply after. If you apply before starting the program and knockout fall semester, the guaranteed interview doesn't really matter.

From what I have gathered, those that gained interviews had some upward trend and almost everything else. They just needed to prove themselves in the fall semester. If I recall correctly, the med school does look out for your application while you are in the CERT program, but being in the CERT program doesn't necessarily mean you'll get an interview that cycle. The guaranteed interview is a brand new bonus added by the new director so I wouldn't treat it as something to bank on. Still shoot for the 4.0 and if not, at least an A in mammalian physio.

Members don't see this ad :)

Thanks...

Forget the guaranteed interview for a moment because only 1/4 of those who interview end up in the class. So, an interview doesnt mean a whole heck of a lot.

I feel that people should apply before they enter the program. Might as well test out the water... what is it going to hurt.

The program, provided you do very well, will get you into medical school when it would be impossible or near impossible to bring up your GPA enough just by taking undergraduate classes.

You dont need the second year, but without it the school will only see 1 semester of work. So like hung said, the ADCOM gets more information about you.

Since this is the end of my post bacc. I was just wondering if certain stories I have heard are true. I know that someone here mentioned not completing the Spring semester because they got into medical school. I know that medical schools require you to complete your degree before you matriculate. So If you don't do well and fail to get the required GPA or decide to drop out you are basically screwed. I don't think you can make up for bad grades by taking other courses during the summer semester or something. I would keep that in mind when applying. Don't do this program unless you really need it.

my mcat is june 18th, would it be too late to apply after that? I need to send in my MCAT score for any chance of being accepted.

Also, if I am not accepted to the program, is there a way to take classes as a non-degree seeking student, prove I am capable, and then transfer the credits into the program?

Thanks for the help instate et al

my mcat is june 18th, would it be too late to apply after that? I need to send in my MCAT score for any chance of being accepted.

Also, if I am not accepted to the program, is there a way to take classes as a non-degree seeking student, prove I am capable, and then transfer the credits into the program?

Thanks for the help instate et al

Since the program has become more well known in recent years, I really cant tell you.

Your best bet would be to send a quick e-mail to the head of the program. You should be able to find that on the website.

In terms of non-degree seeking student, that is essentially what the certificate program is... you are a graduate student not seeking a degree. You can try this route but I am not sure it will work.

they also accept the GRE, so that is an option while you wait for the MCAT.

Hey guys,

I'm interested in overall eval of a couple programs (UMDNJ, NOVA, and VCU).

1. Percentage of students who get into dental school after completing the program and if it's a lot easier to get into the school where you take your masters program. (Nova saves seats for students who get an 80% or higher in each class they take into the following dental school year)

2. Helpfulness and mentorship of the staff and faculty.

3. Student life (do students help each other out or is it cut throat)

4. How much does the program help prepare students for going into med/dent.

Thanks guys! Let me know if you have any questions about other programs and hopefully i can help.

thanks for the reply instate. I took the GRE and scored 1180 :idea:

I don't think that will impress too many people. I'll contact the head of the program and see what he thinks.

Since this is the end of my post bacc. I was just wondering if certain stories I have heard are true. I know that someone here mentioned not completing the Spring semester because they got into medical school. I know that medical schools require you to complete your degree before you matriculate. So If you don't do well and fail to get the required GPA or decide to drop out you are basically screwed. I don't think you can make up for bad grades by taking other courses during the summer semester or something. I would keep that in mind when applying. Don't do this program unless you really need it.

If you are just doing the 1 year post-bacc program (not the 2 yr masters) then you aren't earning a degree like you would at other programs (i.e. Georgetown). I dropped out after first semester because I had gotten into my top 3 schools by early January and none of them required finishing since I was not on track to earn a degree. Make sense?

I do know that VCU's medical school requires you to finish the post-bacc program if you got in to the medical school during first semester or early second semester.

Hi guys, first time posting here.

I was wondering what you guys think my chances are...

I had a 2.8 undergrad GPA (chem major from uva) and a GRE of 1330, haven't taken the MCAT's yet. How heavily do they consider the personal statement??

I know it helped me get in to all the programs with a crappy GPA (~2.9 also from UVA)

If you are just doing the 1 year post-bacc program (not the 2 yr masters) then you aren't earning a degree like you would at other programs (i.e. Georgetown). I dropped out after first semester because I had gotten into my top 3 schools by early January and none of them required finishing since I was not on track to earn a degree. Make sense?

I do know that VCU's medical school requires you to finish the post-bacc program if you got in to the medical school during first semester or early second semester.

Thanks. Good Luck. Since VCU is my first choice I guess it never would have worked out if I had dropped out.

Members don't see this ad :)
Nevermind, after reading a while I found the link with the info.

Hey everyone,
I was accepted into the VCU post-bacc program-- genetic several months ago. I then heard that VCU is changing the program for Fall 2009 to have a generic curriculum for all post-baccs and more expensive tuition. I have looked on internet and cannot confirm this info. I have tried calling and sending emails and no one is getting back to me. Does any one have any info on this change? I really want to signup for classes and have no idea what to take.

Thanks

Last edited:
hey guys i got into the program too, from Cali, go bruins! cant wait to meet you guys in the fall

Congrats to all those with acceptances.

The program ended last week. The grades and curves came out this week. Biochem cutoff for A this semester was very high compared to last semester and spring last year. This year was 86.2 for A/B cutoff. It appears that the A/B cutoff for biochem is based off the total class average on exams. The class average was about 83 and the cutoff was 86. This 3 percent above class average is a good rule of thumb to keep in mind. 87% is the stated A/B cutoff in the biochem syllabus, but usually there is a curve if the average for exams are low. Therefore, don't give up in biochem because you'll never know how the curve will turn out.

Hey Everyone! Accepted into the program recently and still waiting on the official acceptance and info packet in the mail. Does anyone know the tuition rate for IS if you opt out of the MCAT prep course? I've already taken the MCAT and am wondering by how much that reduces tuition. Also where is everyone looking to live? I have seen in this forum that most people live in the fan or downtown areas. I am from the Tidewater and don't know the Richmond area very well. Apartment hunting begins!

instate students might pay a couple hundred dollars less than out of state, but overall the new cost is similar (~$22,000). mcat prep course is optional so no reduction in tuition if you don't use it as far as i know.

if you have a car, you can live anywhere you want. if you don't, then try to stay within a mile or two radius of MCV campus, particularly south of broad. there are some good places on craigslist. i was apartment hunting today and found a 1bd, 1bath apt for less than $600 in the downtown area. i have the manager's contact info if anyone wants it.

Hello all, I just thought I'd spread some info for those looking as I'm applying this fall as well and starting to ask questions myself. I emailed Susan South ([email protected]) who is listed as the Program Administrator and she answered my questions fully and quickly. The cost has gone up but she said that the second year tuition would be dropped back down to the "regular graduate school tuition" (Is that weird or what?). She said it was because of the MCAT class. Also the old structure of the different programs had changed and students will be allowed to pick whatever classes they wanted.

Hey has anyone started looking for apartments? If so where is everyone looking? Anyone looking for a very cleanly, quiet, and overall awesome female roommate let me know!

Hey! I am excited to hear all the acceptances (and that you all are waiting on the same things I am). I have been looking for apartments too, and getting frustrated. What areas are safe for a woman to be in? Would I be better off going to an area like FAN?

Can't wait to get down there!! see you all soon!

Hey all,
I was on the vcu postbac's site and it said "we suggest having all of your materials received no later than June 30th, in order to ensure that your file is processed in enough time before the fall semester begins."

Does this mean they want materials in a full year before the year you actually start????

Classes start in mid/late Aug. June 30 to Aug is less than two months.

Hey! I am excited to hear all the acceptances (and that you all are waiting on the same things I am). I have been looking for apartments too, and getting frustrated. What areas are safe for a woman to be in? Would I be better off going to an area like FAN?

Can't wait to get down there!! see you all soon!

Safe depends on if you have a car or not. If you don't have a car, you would want to live in Shockoe Bottom or Shockoe Slip. You can also live in the downtown area. http://www.ridegrtc.com/FrontEnd/Download_Files/get_on_bus_downloads/VCU_campus_connector.pdf The free campus bus follows this route so living along this route is another option. I think the safest without a car would be living in the graduate dorms, but it is more expensive.

If you have a car, you can live almost anywhere.

Hey Everyone! If anyone is interested I am looking at a place on 525 E. Grace street. The berry burk building. The price is decent for two people and was wondering if anyone who is in the program next year with me would be interested? I am a completely normal, friendly, and cleanly girl who simply cannot afford one of the single apartments in this building. It is so close to MCV though and the rooms look really nice. I have photos and more info if anyone is interested! (I don't love the idea either of living with random people but if the price is right than oh well) Let me know!

Any more news on people getting into MCV medical school from the cert program?

hey guys!

for those of you who got accepted earlier and have already started looking for apartments or already found your apartment, or for those of you that did the program previously...what apartments did you all look at, what places did you like, not like?

I'm strongly considering this program, just waiting for the official acceptance. I spoke with Susan South and she told me to go ahead and send in the rest of my supporting materials (I did the fast/track review). I'm not from Virginia so I don't know anything about the area and will likely not be able to visit for awhile.

previous cert people, or people starting inthe fall...how old are ppl in the program? I'm 25, how bout the rest of you?

There is a forum for this program in 2009, just thought everyone should know

Does anyone from the past years of this program have their old exams? If so, would you be willing to lend them out for a day? I live in the area and would like to get some of this stuff together. Thanks.