VCU Postbacc Fall 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got into the Biochem program.. I'll be looking forward to meeting you guys!

Members don't see this ad.

did anyone receive financial aid information? i checked my fin aid status through eservices and it said that i haven't satisfied this requirement "Admission to Degree or Certificate Program Required". anyone else having this problem? i called the fin aid office multiple times already too and still haven't been able to talk to anyone. is the office closed or something? so far i have called and emailed them. should i be worried?

Technically the program we're in is a 1 year program. Basically you can apply to do the masters program after the 1 year certificate program. You then have to do another year with research and some extra coursework and you get the full masters degree in whatever department you were in (in your case Physiology).
Hey guys
Recently, I got accepted to phys program for this Fall. I heard if I finish this whole program (2 yrs), it turns into a Masters degree, is that right?

Members don't see this ad :)
Yay!!! I got in finally!!! :D:):laugh::love:
I can't wait to see ya'll soon!
Let's have a wonderful year!!!:thumbup:

congrats. now join the facebook group.

did you get to talk to anyone from financial aid office? You should try to call this number if you haven't
1-804-828-4006. They answered all my calls, and I was able to get help from them.

finally i was able to resolve my problem today. turns out that if you apply to multiple departments, the system gets confused and admin has to manually enter you into the system. heads up to those that applied to multiple departments and have problem with their fin aid.

Technically the program we're in is a 1 year program. Basically you can apply to do the masters program after the 1 year certificate program. You then have to do another year with research and some extra coursework and you get the full masters degree in whatever department you were in (in your case Physiology).

To add to this, you dont have to stick with your department if you opt to do the masters.

For instance, I was initially in the biochem program but if I hadn't gotten into med school I would have switched to another program so that I could get a masters in something a bit more relevant to medicine. Everyone in the differnet programs basically takes the same courses with a few exceptions.

yea ive been having some problems with the financial aid department as well. i called my advisor all day and left some messages but havent heard back. I'll definately try that number chyuk, thanks.

i hope you all are enjoying your summer while it lasts... its almost game day :p

i made the mistake of calling the monroe campus. we are part of the fin aid office at the school of medicine. the MCV med school fin aid office is the place to call. everyone find housing yet? i moving to the berkshire on 300 franklin, anyone living here?

I'm going to do the grad student low-rises. It's the closest option I have to campus since I don't have a car or know anyone at VCU.

where is the grad low-rise located?

It's off 10th & Leigh Street. MCV is just around the corner from there.

Members don't see this ad :)
instatewaiter, do you think it would be better for me to take histology or drug dependence? i know i have to pick my battles, but at the same time i feel like taking histology looks better along with the other two core science classes (biochem, physiology).

Hello Everyone ,

I recently got accepted into the Biochem program (late application). I was not planning to attend it after hearing a lot of negative comments from past students and some profs but after much discussion I have accepted the offer. As long as my financial aid comes through I will be joining this fall. I was hoping you guys could help me with a few questions.

1. For those of you who received their financial aid package. Did it cover all your expenses excluding the EFC?

2. Also, due to a family emergency I have to leave the country tomorrow and will return on Aug 25th. So I will miss the orientation (although I am a VCU undergrad so very familiar with both campuses) and first two days of classes. Is there anyone willing to help me with what I will miss?

3. How do I get hold of the old exams?

4. How do you register for classes. I know the online eservices system but do you need permission from the program director to register?

I have emailed maceyka and Kordula and hope to hear back soon. Any help would be appreciated. See you guys in class.

Hey all, I am in the Anatomy track and am debating between taking Grad. Mamm. Phys and Immunobiology (MICR 505). For those of you who have done the program before, can you tell me about Immunobiology? -- Easier/harder than Phys??? I know they generally want you to take Phys b/c it prepares you for Med School Phys, but I just took a Phys class in undergrad and a Physiological Chemistry class...so I am kind of physed out.

Thanks...

in my opinion, mamm physio is the class that u use to prove to med schools that you can hack it.

yeah, i've decided to take histology along with biochem and mamm phys. all three are 5 credit classes, but if i can't handle those then maybe i can't take med school! :p

i'm gonna stay optimistic. :)

Hey all, I am in the Anatomy track and am debating between taking Grad. Mamm. Phys and Immunobiology (MICR 505). For those of you who have done the program before, can you tell me about Immunobiology? -- Easier/harder than Phys??? I know they generally want you to take Phys b/c it prepares you for Med School Phys, but I just took a Phys class in undergrad and a Physiological Chemistry class...so I am kind of physed out.

Thanks...

I believe mammalian physiology is one of the required classes for everyone in the program. I'm pretty sure biochemistry and mammalian physiology are the two classes that all the programs share. In any case, why not take it? I hear Linda Costanzo will be teaching part of it.

yeah, i've decided to take histology along with biochem and mamm phys. all three are 5 credit classes, but if i can't handle those then maybe i can't take med school! :p

That's really ambitious. Here's hoping you knock out a 4.0 in Fall.

I believe mammalian physiology is one of the required classes for everyone in the program. I'm pretty sure biochemistry and mammalian physiology are the two classes that all the programs share. In any case, why not take it? I hear Linda Costanzo will be teaching part of it.

To be honest, I dont know anything about Linda Costanzo. Is she a really good prof???
Also, Dr. Liechnitz told me that Mamm Phys is not required, but strongly suggested. And since I have had so much physiology over the last year, I was thinking about switching it up a little and doing Immunobiology.

Oh yea, and thanks for all of your responses

To be honest, I dont know anything about Linda Costanzo. Is she a really good prof???
Also, Dr. Liechnitz told me that Mamm Phys is not required, but strongly suggested. And since I have had so much physiology over the last year, I was thinking about switching it up a little and doing Immunobiology.

Oh yea, and thanks for all of your responses

Linda Costanzo writes essentially the definitive book on Physiology. My friend and his entire medical school class are in love with her because her book has helped them so much in studying for the boards. I imagine she must be a great teacher too.

I have said this before and I will say it again, unless you are in the anatomy program and are required to take histo, do not take histo.

Not kidding on this. Histo is absolutely worthless in terms of medical school. It is much, much harder in grad school. It is a joke in med school. Dont waste your time if you dont have to take it. It is arguably the most difficult program in the cert program.

Mammalian phys is a pretty big hurdle in the program. About 10-20 (of 150) people get As b/c the curve is pretty strict. It is very easy to miss an A by one question.

Costanzo is a very well known name. She is a great teacher and writes the book used by almost every medical student in the US to study for the boards. She is also an editor for the review book that every med student uses for the boards.

okay, so i'm going to switch histo to something else. should i take immunology then? or pharmacology? or human genetics? i took immuno before, didn't do too well, but i know vcu uses the same book. suggestions?

oh and...

for anyone commuting to class and parking in the A lot, would you be willing to drive me (and my room/classmate) as well? we can partially pay for your decal, gas, and services. :)

oh, and i talked to dr. leichnetz. he said that drug dependence is looked upon as an easy A, so he kinda suggested that i take something harder.

Hey guys, thanks for all of the responses. I think mamm phys is definitely the right choice after all.

hey. can someone post the information about the biochemistry orientation date and time and location?

Does each track have a separate orientation or are we all together. I am looking forward to meeting everyone. Moving to Rmond on Saturday (skipping the general grad orientation :eek:)

Hello Everyone ,

4. How do you register for classes. I know the online eservices system but do you need permission from the program director to register?

I have emailed maceyka and Kordula and hope to hear back soon. Any help would be appreciated. See you guys in class.

In years past you had to go to orientation to register via paper sheets. They do this so that they can advise students and look over what they sign up for. You might want to contact Kordula or whoever your program director is.

Thanks...

Take phys. From the old dean of admissions to MCV (ie VCU school of medicine), the 2 classes which are looked at most strongly are Biochem and mammalian phys. These are pretty representative of what med school will be like. You need to get As in both of them. For Biochem that is not too tall of an order but phys is a hard class.

oh, and i talked to dr. leichnetz. he said that drug dependence is looked upon as an easy A, so he kinda suggested that i take something harder.

While Drug dependence is looked at as an easy A, if you get As in all of your other courses it is hard to keep you out of med school. I would however listen to what he has to say. He is very involved with the admissions process and has been around the cert program for a while now. Since it has been 3 years since I have been there he probably is a bit closer to the action now that I am.

If you all want to look at some of the course lectures they are posted on blackboard for biochem and physio. See you next Thursday. :)

Everyone ready for class this Thursday? What classes are you guys taking?

not ready yet. hope to see everyone in class on thursday.

Now remember these tests that i have are from when I did the program, which means they were from a while before me. I would still recommend you try and get some newer tests from anatomy, physiolgy or the graduate student union. But these should be a good start, especially for physiology which hasnt changed a whole heck of a lot in the last decade or so.

-instate

Last edited:
A little bit of advice....

I finished the certificate program in physiology in May 2008. It was a lot of hard work actually.

1. While you are settling into the class routine, the one thing to remember is NOT to get behind. The first 2-3 weeks won't be bad until your are hit with exams after exam.
2. There are tests banks in the different departments, so make use of them. Try to get them ahead of time. They will help you with the type of questions they will ask on the test.
3. If you don't understand something, talk to the professors. They are more than willing to help you.
4. For your elective course, I would recommend not overdoing your course load. Basically you need to do well in Physio & Biochem. It's going to be a lot of hard work to try to get an A in Physio, only about 10-15 got A's last year. Basically, on the MC tests, you can only miss approx 26 questions in total (this includes the final comprehensive exam at the end). Biochem was actually not bad at all. A definite A was 87 avg, but they did lower the avg last year to less than 87 but I made sure I had at least an 87.

If you have any questions specific questions let me know!

Do you have old tests you would like to contribute?

A little bit of advice....

I finished the certificate program in physiology in May 2008. It was a lot of hard work actually.

1. While you are settling into the class routine, the one thing to remember is NOT to get behind. The first 2-3 weeks won't be bad until your are hit with exams after exam.
2. There are tests banks in the different departments, so make use of them. Try to get them ahead of time. They will help you with the type of questions they will ask on the test.
3. If you don't understand something, talk to the professors. They are more than willing to help you.
4. For your elective course, I would recommend not overdoing your course load. Basically you need to do well in Physio & Biochem. It's going to be a lot of hard work to try to get an A in Physio, only about 10-15 got A's last year. Basically, on the MC tests, you can only miss approx 26 questions in total (this includes the final comprehensive exam at the end). Biochem was actually not bad at all. A definite A was 87 avg, but they did lower the avg last year to less than 87 but I made sure I had at least an 87.

If you have any questions specific questions let me know!

How would you recommend tackling Biochem and Physiology? Also what is your opinion of Biostatistics?

How would you recommend tackling Biochem and Physiology? Also what is your opinion of Biostatistics?

Physiology, the first test is the easiest with respect to the other tests. I haven't seen this years syllabus but if it similar to last years, I believe we had 33 questions on our first test....3 per lecture. Each test gets increasingly more difficult. Study hard, definitely don't wait until the last minute.

Biochem - our first test last year was worth 120 points. I personally didn't think it was difficult but it does cover a wider range of information. I think the avg was about 99/120. IMO the second test was a lot harder. If you don't already know your Amino Acids then I suggest starting to learn them now. I think the classes are recorded this year too (they were last year). So you can always download and re-listen to the lectures.

Recommendations - print out your ppt slides before class off blackboard, take notes on them or bring your lap top. Everyone's probably had the first two day of classes, so I suggest that you be on top of those materials covered before Monday. If you can read ahead in physio before the lecture, it helps. Definitely review the old tests, they are very helpful.

Biostats-I actually took Drug Dependence last year. I will be taking Biostats this semester. Maybe I'll see you in class. But from what I heard, it was relatively easy.

Well, it depends on which department you are in i.e. physio, biochem, micro, etc. Basically, the certifcate program is the first year of the Masters for most programs. I can tell you that if you are in Physio that once you're finish with the certificate and want to go ahead and do the Masters, you can talk to the program director about transitioning into the Master's Program. For Physio, it's only an additional year. If you are Micro I believe it is longer. If you know that you do and will be doing the Masters, definitely talk to the program director (not course director) and maybe they'll transition you into the Master's sooner. Hope this helps. If you have any other questions let me know.

Physiology, the first test is the easiest with respect to the other tests. I haven't seen this years syllabus but if it similar to last years, I believe we had 33 questions on our first test....3 per lecture. Each test gets increasingly more difficult. Study hard, definitely don't wait until the last minute.

Biochem - our first test last year was worth 120 points. I personally didn't think it was difficult but it does cover a wider range of information. I think the avg was about 99/120. IMO the second test was a lot harder. If you don't already know your Amino Acids then I suggest starting to learn them now. I think the classes are recorded this year too (they were last year). So you can always download and re-listen to the lectures.

Recommendations - print out your ppt slides before class off blackboard, take notes on them or bring your lap top. Everyone's probably had the first two day of classes, so I suggest that you be on top of those materials covered before Monday. If you can read ahead in physio before the lecture, it helps. Definitely review the old tests, they are very helpful.

Biostats-I actually took Drug Dependence last year. I will be taking Biostats this semester. Maybe I'll see you in class. But from what I heard, it was relatively easy.

Cool thanks. Right now Physiology isn't too bad. We've just covered simple and facilitated diffusion but I have no doubt it'll be much harder soon. Do you happen to have old tests that we current Certificate people might be able to use? Thanks. My Biostats class is the MW at 4 by the way.

does anyone know where to go to get the test bank for the grad assoc?

Last edited:
Sent you an e-mail. Sat is fine.

are our student ids suppose to let us enter sanger and other buildings at night? i tried swiping my id card at night today and it didn't work.

Call security and get them to add you. They can do it electronically. should take a few seconds

thanks. which other buildings can or should i get access to?

Any you're allowed to:

Defintes- sanger, hunton hall, egyptian
Possibles- MSB
They prolly wont let you but might as well try: main hospital, north hospital, west hospital (makes it easy not to have to walk through the rain after hours) and massey cancer center

Wow Physiology is starting to pick up. Fehrer's lectures have way more stuff than either of the Costanzo's.

Hey I was wondering if any one has the test banks for Physiology. I know we have a test this friday and was thinking of trying the dept. to see if they have any. I am freaking out for some reason although the first few lectures were not so bad.

where is everyone studying?

ok question:

what program exactly are u all talking about? the ms in physio? which program is the SMP?