VCU CERT vs Bluefield MABS

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

VCU or MABS

• Total voters

thapanda

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone!

I woke up a few days ago and discovered I had received two acceptance letters from two master's programs! However, I am struggling to decide which program to attend, and I would like to get some insight or help with my decision-making process.

VCU Cert
Pros:
  • It is a local program in a city I very much enjoy living in, so I wouldn't have to move. I could see the building where my classes would be from my apartment.
  • Affiliated with a state school MD program with a guaranteed interview if benchmarks are met (3.5 gpa in the program and 508 MCAT).
  • More variable options for courses and electives. Only three courses are required for all students; the rest are electives.
  • Included MCAT prep course with the tuition.
Cons:
  • Only a graduate certificate program. If I wanted to continue on to a master's, it would be another year of direct study.
  • 2k more expensive than MABS
  • A guaranteed interview does not mean guaranteed admission.
  • Urban program where there may be distractions involved with cities (I get distracted easily when studying, thanks ADD).
  • Would need to retake the MCAT and get a 508 or above after the program ends
Bluefield/VCOM MABS:
  • Affiliated with VCOM, where if benchmarks are met, I get guaranteed admission to its affiliated DO program (3.5 gpa and a 497 MCAT)
  • I have the Mcat score (499) for half of the benchmark. So I can solely focus on classes.
  • 2k less expensive than VCU
  • It is located in a mountain college town with more outdoor activities options. The location is arguably better, with fewer distractions.
  • Master's degree in biomedical sciences awarded at the end of the program.
Cons:
  • Affiliated with a DO program. I am shooting for admission to an MD school.
  • It is considered to be more intense, and more time is needed to study to meet the 3.5 GPA requirement.
  • Less flexibility with electives. The curriculum is set.
  • It starts in July, so I need to quit my job and move relatively soon.
  • The mission of the affiliated DO program does not resonate with me completely, and it would not be the best fit for my future goals.
I know it might seem like an obvious decision, but I am terrible at making decisions and commitments.

Thanks!

Members don't see this ad.

So I graduated from the CERT recently, and I recommend the program if you want a sincerely rigorous experience and want to see what med/grad school is like (work load, the cadaver lab, etc). The professors are good and you will learn a lot.

But if you are trying to go to VCU, I would NOT recommend it, as out of all those previous CERT students who applied this cycle (from all the various years of CERT graduates), they basically have not accepted a single CERT student this cycle thus far. I have a decent MCAT (510+), and I was able to get the guaranteed interview, so they "kept up their side of the bargain..." but it is NOT useful if you are trying to go to VCU.

I know that you said you want to go MD, but with a 499 MCAT, I would recommend that you should consider some DO schools. If you want to go to VCOM, MABS offers a guaranteed interview (which will work with your MCAT) and their program is probably easier and cheaper than VCU, honestly.

And, I did not think the included MCAT review was that useful, although the Kaplan books are pretty decent.