VCU Postbacc Fall 2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
The count so far is 7 (2 physio, 5 anat) for people currently in the cert program that got into MCV/VCU SOM for Fall 09. As for the anat people, I don't think they 4.0 fall semester, but did well. There are a few others on the waitlist. The number of acceptances is probably higher.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
The count so far is 7 (2 physio, 2 anat) for people currently in the cert program that got into MCV/VCU SOM for Fall 09. As for the anat people, I don't think they 4.0 fall semester, but did well. There are a few others on the waitlist. The number of acceptances is probably higher.

Hung, how many people would you say were in the program total? How many are going to finish?

probably 100-120 people started in fall and 60-80 will finish. the numbers are kind of deceiving because a lot of people don't know how to do well in the program (ie. read and memorize everything instatewaiter posted). in honor of instatewaiter, i might write an updated guide on how to do survive the program after the spring semester.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm sorry but perhaps I am misunderstanding what you are saying, and please correct me if I am wrong...

But from what it seems like, only 7/120 people were granted acceptance to MCV for next year from this year's CERT program? That seems awfully low (~6%).

I hope I am only misinterpreting your previous posts...please let me know if this is indeed what you truly meant...

Also, if people are not being granted acceptances to MCV, are they being granted acceptances anywhere? Are students getting accepted to any other US M.D. programs, and if so where?

Thank you very much for your time...

120 start the program, but most of these students are not ready for med school just yet...so at the end of the program it trickles down to 60-80. But yeah you're right, 7 out of ~70 is still too low of a "linkage" (10%). I applied to the program but I'm re-thinking...I'm going to guess those 7 people had good apps regardless (ok maybe not all 7 but half of them)

I'm sorry but perhaps I am misunderstanding what you are saying, and please correct me if I am wrong...

But from what it seems like, only 7/120 people were granted acceptance to MCV for next year from this year's CERT program? That seems awfully low (~6%).

I hope I am only misinterpreting your previous posts...please let me know if this is indeed what you truly meant...

Also, if people are not being granted acceptances to MCV, are they being granted acceptances anywhere? Are students getting accepted to any other US M.D. programs, and if so where?

I am in the phis cert program this year and got accepted to MCV (hi hung....its kim). Im actually turning it down to go to vet school, but nonetheless, the cert program was a very good program to make up for bad grades. I didnt really do any work the first three years of undergraduate and my GPA reflected it. With this program it was great because i got to goof off for three years and only work really hard for one semester before getting into professional school. That being said, i don't recommend this program for people with bad GPAs that really worked hard in undergraduate but just couldn't get the grades. The classes will be as hard if not much harder than what you have had before. Therefore there is a good chance it will bring down your GPA. Basically this program is good for those who have good MCAT scores and just need to make up for some bad behavior in undergrad.

120 start the program, but most of these students are not ready for med school just yet...so at the end of the program it trickles down to 60-80. But yeah you're right, 7 out of ~70 is still too low of a "linkage" (10%). I applied to the program but I'm re-thinking...I'm going to guess those 7 people had good apps regardless (ok maybe not all 7 but half of them)

There's about 100 people at the start and not everyone is going for med school. There's plenty of pre-dental people and some people who go for genetic counseling and others who go for PhD. I think on average, there's about 15 people who matriculate somewhere (medical or dental) the year following the program. There's another 15 who do the same the year after. After that there's a handful of people the following year. I think on average there's about 35 people out of the 100 who end up in medical or dental school within 3 years of completing the program. A lot of people don't even complete the program, however. I think around 60% actually finish the program. Low entrance requirements with a rigorous program mean not many people do well.

The more I read about this program the more I begin to wonder if I am the type of student that fits the profile for this program.

I will graduate with a solid GPA (~3.65), however, have less than average MCATs (27O)...

However, for me, one of the added benefits of doing a program like CERT is that I can be exposed to a few of the first-year medical school courses while hoping to take advantage of the VCU linkage.

Would those of you in the program suggest enrolling for someone such as myself.

The more I read about this program the more I begin to wonder if I am the type of student that fits the profile for this program.

I will graduate with a solid GPA (~3.65), however, have less than average MCATs (27O)...

However, for me, one of the added benefits of doing a program like CERT is that I can be exposed to a few of the first-year medical school courses while hoping to take advantage of the VCU linkage.

I wouldn't recommend it.

Last edited:

1) More people will get in off of the medical school wait list.

2) The vast majority of those who dont get into medical school also don't belong in medical school. The program has a way of attracting people who just aren't smart enough to handle medical school and really don't realize it yet. Those people either drop out or do not do very well. Just finishing the program is not enough; you need to do well to prove you belong in medical school.

Of those who didnt bomb the program or drop out, those that actually belong in medical school will get in either that year or the year after. Very few people who should get in, dont get into somewhere after a few years.

There is no linkage to MCV and while I think a larger portion of the CERT class should get in, when you realize the students they are competing against it becomes clear. It is hard to turn away a kid from undergrad with a 3.8 and a 33 to accept a kid with a 3.5 in the cert program but a
3.0 from undergrad a 30 MCAT.

The Cert program is good for those who can perform. I feel that anyone who would succeed at EVMS' or Georgetown's post-bac program would also succeed at MCV/VCU's- the only difference is that MCV is less selective of its applicants.

If you think than any of these programs- EVMS, georgetown, MCV- are going to be like undergrad where you can waltz in, study a bit and then continue to the next level, you have a rude awakening ahead of you and you will likely find yourself in the midst of the 40 that drop out.

Depending on what you are looking for, this program can be for you. This is a cheaper smp-like program that can help you get into a medical school. However, you are on your own in this program and very "survival of the fittest" situation. If you are a self-motivator and looking for an opportunity to prove yourself, then I would recommend this program.

With your stats, you might be better off retaking the MCAT. If your science gpa isn't as high as your cum gpa, that could also be holding you back.

Every year I post a little guide to Richmond for those not from the Richmond area. I am a Richmond native and have lived here essentially all my life. This should help you guys out. I posted this a couple years ago:

Here are a few terms about Richmond Living:
West End- west of the city (duh). Where it begins is arguable but since things are moving west, anything west of Glenside Dr is a good guide. This term is generally used for things much further west all the way to the short pump mall.

South Side- anything across the James river from the city.

The fan the area boxed east to west by belvedere st to boulevard and north and south by Broad St and Cary St. The roads in the fan FAN out hence the name "the fan". See later in my post.

the museum district- the western extension of the fan. Its boarders are: east to west- from boulevard to thompson. North to south from broad street to cary street (many still call this the fan)

350px-RichmondFanDistrict.jpg

in the above picture MCV is located right above where the purple line intersects the 2nd O of downtown

Sketch areas that you probably don't want to live in include: oregon hill, Jackson ward, Randolph, or anything with court in it (ie Gilpin court). Also, dont live right across the river from downtown (ie called manchester on the second picture). Finally dont live too far north of broad street in church hill. For those of you that went to the financial aid workshop the director lady told you that Jackson ward is a good area to live in. I pretty much crapped myself when she told you that. Jackson ward is a really sketchy, pretty dangerous part of Richmond. Don't live there if you dont have to.

Here is a second picture that shows things a bit further east
350px-DowntownRichmondNeighborhoods.jpg

Here MCV is located right around where it says "court end"

The Fan: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fan_District
Note that while Wikipedia doesnt consider west of boulevard 'the fan' many in Richmond do. Others refer to west of boulevard as "the museum district." Either way it is nice to live near carytown (shopping/eating area). You will be good living pretty much anywhere in the fan area. But the further away (west) from the undergrad campus, the quieter things will be. Generally around the 2000 block (of streets parallel w/ broad st) you should be in good shape. Other considerations are that there are a lot of bars on Robinson. So you might want to live around there (i think about 2500 block). The further west you go, generally the safer things get.

Church Hill: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Church_Hill
Note that you dont want to live very far north of Broad street. If you can, stay SOUTH of broad street (red line going up church hill). Really I cant stress this enough. If you go like 10 blocks north of broad around church hill you will get shot. Only half kidding about this. South of broad street has some very beautiful areas and some very nice apts. North of broad is a great place to buy crack. You see the dark black line going north of church hill, that is where the projects are and is arguably one of the most dangerous area of Richmond. So stay away from it.

Shockoe Bottom: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Shockoe_Bottom
Apts are spotted throughout here generally above shops or in converted industrial buildings. The apts generally have a lot of character but, it can get loud if you are near the clubs/bars. Most of my class lives in the bottom so that is a consideration, plus it is nice and close to MCV. Basically on a decent day you can walk from the bottom. Things can get pricey here but if you look you can find a cheap place.

Here is my update from the past year or so:
I had been hearing a lot of talk about the new revitalization of the Manchester area. I was curious about how much they could have done and my girlfriend was looking for a place to live so we decided to head across the river. I am not too sure what people consider a 'revitalization' but it didnt look a whole lot different. I'd still recommend not living there (well that is unless you plan to sling crack to pay for school-which i also do not recommend- but Glenda Palmer, the financial aid lady, always encourages us to be creative to save money. She may recommend differently than I do. Perhaps you should e-mail her).

Now a bit west from manchester you get to the Westover Hills/Forrest Hill Ave area (still in the southside). It is a bit of a drive but using the Nickel Bridge (which funny enough has a 40 cent toll) it takes around 10 minutes to get to school. This is a pretty safe area and you can get a pretty nice house to rent or buy for really, really cheap. Of the south-side area, this is probably one of your better options based on price and distance from school. This is right across the river from where the "fan" turns into the "museum district"

The Fan
Stretches of the fan are surrounded by kinda sketchy areas. In some stretches of broad you may feel unsafe. My GF lived on Grace a few years back and the alley behind her building was shared with the shops on broad st. While I felt perfectly safe, she often felt uneasy walking alone at night. So if you are a female and are worried about safety or just a sissy, living south of Grace would be best. The interior of the fan (the streets around grove, hanover, stuart) is pretty darn safe. The museum district is also really very safe.

The West end-
This is where I grew up so if you have any questions feel free to PM me. Unquestionably the safest and nicest area of Richmond. Can be a bit of a hike to class ranging from 15-45 minutes based on what part of the west end you live in. The apt prices vary wildly from obscenely expensive to pretty cheap.

Church Hill
I re-read what I wrote and it basically sounds like church hill is a war zone. It is not. South of broad is very very nice. Some of the nicest apts I have seen in R-Va are in Church hill. The people I know that live there feel safe. That said, stay south of broad because the projects really are about 10-15 blocks north with a nice little transition zone starting about 6 blocks north of broad. Stay south of broad and you will be fine and shouldnt feel unsafe.

I currently live in the fan/museum district. There are pros and cons about each area. My class is spread mainly in Downtown and the fan. There are probably a few dozen who live in the southside or west end. If you have questions feel free to PM me. If you have a specific apt complex in mind I probably wont be able to help you since I have limited exposure to the thousands of apt complexes in Richmond. But if you are worried about an area or want some input, feel free to PM me.

for those that aren't bringing a car or bike, checkout downtown, monroe ward and shockoe area. there are campus buses that have routes through those areas. i live near monroe park (near undergrad campus) and i just hop on the campus connecter bus for a short ride to campus everyday. vcu students ride free on all the public buses in richmond.

vcu also has graduate housing a couple blocks from classes. it is very convenient, but
more expensive.

instatewaiter, did you ever create a cheap food/restaurant guide?

Members don't see this ad :)

As someone else said, this is more of a program for people with a higher MCAT and lower GPA (not always, but definitely fits the bill). I would probably consider taking the time to ensure you do better on your MCAT.

I am in the phis cert program this year and got accepted to MCV (hi hung....its kim). Im actually turning it down to go to vet school, but nonetheless, the cert program was a very good program to make up for bad grades. I didnt really do any work the first three years of undergraduate and my GPA reflected it. With this program it was great because i got to goof off for three years and only work really hard for one semester before getting into professional school. That being said, i don't recommend this program for people with bad GPAs that really worked hard in undergraduate but just couldn't get the grades. The classes will be as hard if not much harder than what you have had before. Therefore there is a good chance it will bring down your GPA. Basically this program is good for those who have good MCAT scores and just need to make up for some bad behavior in undergrad.

Couldn't agree more. I finished first semester with a 4.0 (was in Phys program) and dropped out bc of acceptances to US Allo schools. Didn't have much interest in going to MCV (mostly for OOS/financial reasons).

Keep in mind that this is 7 people that got in MCV only. I knew quite a few others that got into several other schools. And as Instatewaiter said, more will probably get in off the waitlist. Something else to think about is (as has been stated before) that not everyone wanted to go to med school. Some wanted to get masters, vet school (congrats by the way!), dental school, etc. There was also a large majority of people who probably did the program and will decide not to pursue whatever professional field they originally thought because they just weren't cut out for it.

My 2 cents: The program IS difficult, but not impossible. I graduated undergrad with a 3.3 overall and a 2.9 BCPM. I think that reflects the little amount of work I actually did in UG. At the post-bacc, I studied/read for a few hours a day (no more than 3 or 4) and that number deteriorated significantly throughout first semester. I dropped out after first semester because I had already gotten into my top few schools and there was no need for me to pay tuition just for the hell of it. The program probably boasts fewer acceptances to med school than some other programs, but take that for what it's worth. I thoroughly enjoyed the courses and would have taken some different ones, given the chance to go back. The professors, for the most part, were excellent and really did seem to care about how the students were doing. I might have gotten into med school without the program, but doing well in it definitely bolstered my chances.

If you do the program, be fairly certain you can do well. You have probably heard before, it is a "double edged sword." Good luck to all. Feel free to PM me if you have any questions.

PS. Sorry for the novel

-A

Good thing you posted. So far only two people willing to post about their acceptances. Are still seating in classes or working to pay off the program?

Good thing you posted. So far only two people willing to post about their acceptances. Are still seating in classes or working to pay off the program?

Moved back home and working (a little).

Good luck with everything.

Thanks. Good luck at UNC. Do Tarheel fans think Nova pose a threat? Nova is a dangerous team. It sucked to get killed by them (UCLA), but watching Duke get creamed was very enjoyable.

I am unfamiliar with the the VCU post bac program.

1, Is it worthwhile; if so why?

2. Are non Virginia residents at a disadvantage in the VCU admissions process?

3. Does the VCU post bac program have a good track record for getting its grads into med school?

Thanks for any favorable or unfavorable information you care to share about this program.

I am unfamiliar with the the VCU post bac program.

1, Is it worthwhile; if so why?

2. Are non Virginia residents at a disadvantage in the VCU admissions process?

3. Does the VCU post bac program have a good track record for getting its grads into med school?

Thanks for any favorable or unfavorable information you care to share about this program.

read the thread. Literally all of these questions are answered in this very thread. Here's a summary

1) yes- if you do well, it gets you in even if you have a bad GPA

2) no

3) for those who do very well, yes. For those who do not do well, no.

Thanks. Good luck at UNC. Do Tarheel fans think Nova pose a threat? Nova is a dangerous team. It sucked to get killed by them (UCLA), but watching Duke get creamed was very enjoyable.

Absolutely. I had them in my Final 4 of my bracket. I'm pretty worried about them.

Just got an email from Dr. De Felice saying I have been accepted to VCU for the post bac program!! Just thought I'd share the good news!! Best of luck to whoever else is applying.

A.

Congrats. What are your other options?

Congrats. What are your other options?

Hey Hung,

Well at the moment, I have acceptances from:

Dominican University in IL (Although no one seems to have even heard of this school - very small, I think classes are 5-12 students, tier 1 midwest, formal certificate program, MCAT prep included in tuition (about 20,000$), offers basic science and upper level science with cadaver dissections + clinical op at RUSH Hospital)

VCU (no need getting into the details here :) )

Northeastern University in Boston
(classes are 5 - 20 students, 40 post bacs accepted each year, informal - non certificate granted but still eligible for committee letter, advantage here is my chief has a lot of friends at Harvard Med so I can get some clinical shadowing done there, no MCAT prep (will probably just take Kaplans), tuition is 900$/course)

EVMS (On Waitlist at the moment, although I think it might be better for me to go back and retake u.grad classes I didn't pay attention (or attend) and got <B in.)

I think my plan is as follows: I am leaning toward NU at the moment - once that's done and I do well, I will apply for EVMS or Georgetown for the SMP and then apply to many Allopathic schools early. Again, provided I study hard, get great grades, and take a formal MCAT prep course this time around.

A.

Hey Hung,

Well at the moment, I have acceptances from:

Dominican University in IL (Although no one seems to have even heard of this school - very small, I think classes are 5-12 students, tier 1 midwest, formal certificate program, MCAT prep included in tuition (about 20,000$), offers basic science and upper level science with cadaver dissections + clinical op at RUSH Hospital)

VCU (no need getting into the details here :) )

Northeastern University in Boston
(classes are 5 - 20 students, 40 post bacs accepted each year, informal - non certificate granted but still eligible for committee letter, advantage here is my chief has a lot of friends at Harvard Med so I can get some clinical shadowing done there, no MCAT prep (will probably just take Kaplans), tuition is 900$/course)

EVMS (On Waitlist at the moment, although I think it might be better for me to go back and retake u.grad classes I didn't pay attention (or attend) and got <B in.)

I think my plan is as follows: I am leaning toward NU at the moment - once that's done and I do well, I will apply for EVMS or Georgetown for the SMP and then apply to many Allopathic schools early. Again, provided I study hard, get great grades, and take a formal MCAT prep course this time around.

A.

If you get accepted to EVMS take it in a heartbeat. They have super high linkage with their med school. You can call them and see where you stand in the waitlist (upper 1/3, middle 1/3, lower 1/3).

Does Dominican U have any linkage to RUSH or maybe other IL schools?

Does Dominican U have any linkage to RUSH or maybe other IL schools?

According to the Director of the Program there is no existing formal linkage, however, there are professors from RUSH med that also teach at Dominican and vice versa. But, there is no guarantee which is unfortunate.

A.

officially accepted today... I'm really excited about the program! I hope that this is a good thing to do for my situation. I have a 3.86 cum/3.6 sci, but mediocre MCAT (29) and with my choice of athletic training for my major and music for my minor, I don't have many traditional pre-med upper level science courses. I'm hoping my grades next year and a potential MCAT re-take (and lets pray, an increase) will help my shots for the next go-round.

does anyone have an idea on how helpful financial aid is with students in this program? I'm waiting on my parents taxes to finalize my FAFSA, and I'm a little worried that with the current economic situation we're going to get passed over so that the medical students are able to get the help they need.

officially accepted today... I'm really excited about the program! I hope that this is a good thing to do for my situation. I have a 3.86 cum/3.6 sci, but mediocre MCAT (29) and with my choice of athletic training for my major and music for my minor, I don't have many traditional pre-med upper level science courses. I'm hoping my grades next year and a potential MCAT re-take (and lets pray, an increase) will help my shots for the next go-round.

does anyone have an idea on how helpful financial aid is with students in this program? I'm waiting on my parents taxes to finalize my FAFSA, and I'm a little worried that with the current economic situation we're going to get passed over so that the medical students are able to get the help they need.

I'm surprised you haven't been accepted with your stats, if you are well-rounded in all other areas. Are you on the alternate list at VCU? If you haven't taken the MCAT more than once, maybe you should give it a shot and re-apply, early before spending the dough on a post-bacc

I'm surprised you haven't been accepted with your stats, if you are well-rounded in all other areas. Are you on the alternate list at VCU? If you haven't taken the MCAT more than once, maybe you should give it a shot and re-apply, early before spending the dough on a post-bacc

i am waitlisted at VCU currently, and after speaking with my interviewer following finding out I was waitlisted, he told me the committee had reservations because of my lack of upper-level science courses. I think this isn't necessarily correct, because my athletic training courses are science based, and quite difficult, but he said that they were worried about me being able to handle the courseload. That's why he recommended doing an smp. I took the MCAT twice, and improved by 3 points on the second round... I'm thinking about taking it again this summer before I start the program, but I'm not sure what to do differently so that I know my score will go up. I know I need some of those traditional, hard science courses on my record. There were a few key things that I think messed me up- the 29 (if it had been even 3 points higher I think it would have made a difference), a "C" in gen chem sophomore year, and not taking genetics, biostats, etc. I also think I didn't apply to the right schools.

Yeah so there's my brief, boring sob story. I'm also on the waitlist at GW, but I doubt I'll get off either. I'm planning on submitting my AMCAS on like, May 16th...even though they're gonna wait to see my fall semester grades. I"ve had this past year off already working a research job, so I feel like this is the best way to take the next step.

My application was put on hold until some point this week when I was told that the admissions committee will reconvene and make a decision regarding my application...

My best guess for why my application was put on hold is the fact that I am currently taking Organic Chemistry II right now as a result of a late start in my pre-med coursework as well as some other mitigating circumstances...

I really hope to get in, and would look forward to the opportunity to move to VA in the August..

Is anybody else on the wait-list, or had their application put on hold until sometime this week?

Profs are busy writing grants right now. Just try your best to not think about it.

My application was put on hold until some point this week when I was told that the admissions committee will reconvene and make a decision regarding my application...

My best guess for why my application was put on hold is the fact that I am currently taking Organic Chemistry II right now as a result of a late start in my pre-med coursework as well as some other mitigating circumstances...

I really hope to get in, and would look forward to the opportunity to move to VA in the August..

Is anybody else on the wait-list, or had their application put on hold until sometime this week?

I got an email saying that I was On hold until the committee meets this week as well. Hope I get some good news!

lets make it 3

I got that email last monday

Okay, that makes me feel quite a bit better that other people got the same email...

When do you think we will hear something, probably sometime tomorrow or Friday?

Possibly, but we may have to wait until Mon again. I wonder how many people are on the "hold" list. Good luck to everyone here.

I just got an email today saying that I was accepted into the program and I should get my official acceptance notification in the near future! Good luck everyone!

I received the same acceptance email this afternoon...exciting stuff...

Looking forward to heading down south this August...

Hung....

Are there any more updates on those in the program getting accepted to VCU or other US MD schools? I'd love to hear...

Also, I was wondering which elective(s) you suggest taking for the first semester. I anticipate the first semester to be difficult because of the required physiology and biochemistry courses. Furthermore, I want to ensure that I am not overloaded so that I can perform my absolute best for those crucial fall grades...

I was thinking about taking the neuroscience course, however, if you would suggest otherwise please let me know...Also, if there any professors that should be avoided, please let me know as well (if you want to be more discrete about it please feel free to PM me)...

Hey,

for you guys who got that email and postal mail from Susan about your acceptance...have you responded yet (i.e. confirmed you intent to study at VCU)?

A.

Hung....

Are there any more updates on those in the program getting accepted to VCU or other US MD schools? I'd love to hear...

Also, I was wondering which elective(s) you suggest taking for the first semester. I anticipate the first semester to be difficult because of the required physiology and biochemistry courses. Furthermore, I want to ensure that I am not overloaded so that I can perform my absolute best for those crucial fall grades...

I was thinking about taking the neuroscience course, however, if you would suggest otherwise please let me know...Also, if there any professors that should be avoided, please let me know as well (if you want to be more discrete about it please feel free to PM me)...

You don't really have a choice of professors if you decide on a certain class. Almost all courses are taught by multiple (10 or more) professors, each focusing on their "specialty." There are some bad ones, but there are also some good ones.

If you are talking about Neuroanatomy, it was only offered in the Spring this year. The Fall electives were things like Immunology, Drug Dependence, Biostats, etc. I took Drug Dependence because it was supposed to be really easy. It wasn't as easy as everyone has said in the past - apparently they are trying to make it more difficult. In hindsight, I wish I had taken Immuno for the sake of knowing the material for medical school. My friends that took it did a pretty good amount of work for it, but most ended up with B's and some with A's. Drug Dep definitely requires the LEAST amount of work, but that's probably one reason many people thought it was hard.

The neuroscience in the fall is a hard class. Professional schools will see it as a graduate school class, not something too applicable to say med school or dental school. I got this info from the prof that teaches it. I was considering it too last fall.

Like Aladdin, I took Drug Dependence and found it harder than expected. It was a lot of memorizing random facts. Sadly, Drug Dependence is not included in the upcoming fall curriculum. http://www.medschool.vcu.edu/graduate/premed_cert/certcurriculum.html

I had friends that took the Biostats on the MCV campus and didn't find it difficult. It was very time consuming because of the weekly hw. The hw were stats assignments, like evaluate data, etc. Not do these problems from the stats book. This might be a class to consider if you are good with time management and busy work. Overall, Biostats is very consuming but not hard.

I had friends that took Human Genetics. For a three credit class, it is hard. You need to have some critical thinking skills to get an A in the class.

Histology = time consuming and lots of material to memorize. I didn't take the class but I did see some of the exams and talked to the people that took it. It is doable. However, to ace histo, biochem, and physio, you need to come in prepared and dedicated. I heard of one guy hitting the 4.0 in the fall from the anatomy department, but that is all. He got into MCV for this fall already too.

I'll write some more about electives later. Just remember, you need to get an A in physio if you are premed.

Thanks for the advice...

Based on your descriptions and knowledge of the coursework in the program, would you instead suggest taking two courses (for a total of 6 credits) for fall electives...(i.e. biostats 3cr. and immunobiology 3cr.)

Would either of these courses seem relevant to medical schools and are they more "doable" than some of the more difficult courses such as the neuroscience course or the histology course?

Thanks...

If you are looking to do medical school take:

Mammalian Physiology: 5 credits
Biochemistry (Bic/MIC): 5 Credits
Seminar: 1 credit
1 Elective: 3-4 credits

You need special permission to take over 16 credits. Trust me, take as light a load the first semester, especially if you are looking to get into medical school for the following year.

I would definitely recommend taking Neuroanatomy for 2nd semester. It's slightly easier than Mammalian Physiology since the questions are more straight forward and you don't have that ridiculous cumulative final. Anyone who can get an A in Mammalian Physiology can definitely pull an A in Neuroanatomy. Plus it's looked upon very highly by the admissions committee, on par with Mammalian Physiology's consideration. In regards to the Mammalian Physiology final, study early for that test. The questions themselves aren't that hard but the sheer volume of the material can crush you if you aren't adequately prepared. Also since it counts for 25% of your grade, it can be your saving grace and boost you from a high B into a low A. Or worse, it can destroy your grade and drop you to a solid B or even a C if your luck is that bad. Try to take Physiology over the summer if you can. It doesn't matter if it's at a university or a community college. It will help you take care of the basic concepts so you can hit the ground running in that class.

Quick question...

Are the CERT program classes taken downtown at the medical school or closer to the Fan on VCU's main campus?

Quick question...

Are the CERT program classes taken downtown at the medical school or closer to the Fan on VCU's main campus?

All of your classes will be on MCV campus. The only possible exception would be Biostatistics, which I think only the 2nd semester offering is on the undergrad campus.

When do classes start? Same time as the med school classes?

Mid to late Aug. VCU will send out a package with all the important info.

I'm sorry, but the questions I'm about to ask may have already been addressed, however I was wondering if someone could give me some definitive answers...

My question is:

The guaranteed interview for the CERT program is granted to those who have a GPA of 3.5 or better as well as an MCAT of 28 or higher...

Does the 3.5 GPA come from your undergraduate work, or from your GPA in the program?

Secondly, if the 3.5 GPA is indeed from the CERT program, when would that need to be determined by? The end of the first semester classes? Also, when would these interviews normally be scheduled for, sometime in January?

If so, it would seem that the admissions committee at MCV must set aside a few additional spots for acceptances every year to students who will be getting interviews from the CERT program. Does this sound logical?

I would greatly appreciate some concrete answers to these questions...thanks...