UW-Madison c/o 2027 hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got mine at about 5:45

Members don't see this ad.

I haven’t gotten mine either, but I’m also far down the alphabet

I got mine at 5:56est, my last name starts with an S, if that helps. They might not be going in alphabetical order.

Members don't see this ad :)
My alphabet starts with J but haven't gotten mine. I know everyone supposes to get it but that makes me so anxious

Got mine at 6:49 PM EST, maybe they are doing it based on order of who submitted their application. All I know is I’m not looking forward to these essays over break

Reactions: 1 user
Just got mine, last name M first name N. They sent it to both my primary and secondary emails address.

Last name T and first name S, so I'm trying to be patient lol

Members don't see this ad :)
Received mine at 7:30pm central time and omg can we talk about how long that application is!!!

Reactions: 1 users
Hey everyone glad we finally got the supplemental app even though it sucks to have to write more essays. I am confused about one thing though- in the diversity section it asks “What did you list as your first career choice in your VMCAS essay?” (as well as second choice) and I don’t remember specifying this anywhere. Can someone explain how I’d find this?

Hey guys! Quick question. I’m sure you noticed the PhD/DVM program. If we select this, I’m sure it’s only a few spots. If we get denied from that does our DVM application also get denied. I think it would be cool to do but don’t want to sign up for it if it’ll hinder me from the DVM program as a whole.

Hey guys! Quick question. I’m sure you noticed the PhD/DVM program. If we select this, I’m sure it’s only a few spots. If we get denied from that does our DVM application also get denied. I think it would be cool to do but don’t want to sign up for it if it’ll hinder me from the DVM program as a whole.
I don't know Wisconsin's policy specifically, but the other schools generally put you back into the general pool if you get denied DVM/PhD. Note: Some schools make it so that if you deny dual degree after receiving acceptance, they no longer consider you for solo DVM.

If you're not entirely sure you want to do DVM/PhD over solo DVM, I would contact admissions tbh

Did you ever figure out the PhD question? This was something I am interested in too but I don’t see on their website if you are able to get back in the general DVM pool if not accepted?

Hey everyone glad we finally got the supplemental app even though it sucks to have to write more essays. I am confused about one thing though- in the diversity section it asks “What did you list as your first career choice in your VMCAS essay?” (as well as second choice) and I don’t remember specifying this anywhere. Can someone explain how I’d find this?
Did you find an answer to this? I'm almost done except for this part because I can't find it on my application that I saved

Did you find an answer to this? I'm almost done except for this part because I can't find it on my application that I saved
No I haven’t found it! Does anyone know the answer to this???

I'm just doing it based on what I wrote in my main vet essay tbh. Academia/Research
What type of research do you want to do. I’m also planning on that path so I’m always interested in what others are doing!

What type of research do you want to do. I’m also planning on that path so I’m always interested in what others are doing!
Comparative Oncology, want a mix of clinics and basic science research. Interested in drug/diagnostics development and data science mainly. What about yourself?

I did SA on my primary, and Eq on my secondary. It was in one of the questions on the VMCAS application I think.

Comparative Oncology, want a mix of clinics and basic science research. Interested in drug/diagnostics development and data science mainly. What about yourself?
That’s awesome! I’m looking definitely along the lines of neuro/TBI/concussions. I’m working with the department of defense right now on a project using animal models and it’s been a really interesting study

That’s awesome! I’m looking definitely along the lines of neuro/TBI/concussions. I’m working with the department of defense right now on a project using animal models and it’s been a really interesting study
I have been interested in animal behavior or pathology. Unfortunately, I had a very socialized German Shepherd who became "reactive" after two large unleashed dogs attacked him while he was using the bathroom and I was alone, and helping him work through his issues has really made me have a passion for helping dogs who are aggressive as it can help strengthen the bond between owner and pet. I want to work with dogs specifically at risk for BE as I understand it is a final act of kindness, but I would like to help give them one last chance before a permanent solution is found. Maybe there's a link between neuro/TBI/concussions that can be seen in a dogs brain that can be pinpointed to help determine how to best treat aggression and reactivity in dogs similarly to how they can see the difference in human brains that are healthy or affected by mental illnesses such as depression and PTSD. I think it would be interested to find a connection between pathology and animal behavior and studying the brains of different dogs, aggressive and not, to find the best way to help our furbabies feel more comfortable in their day to day life.

I have been interested in animal behavior or pathology. Unfortunately, I had a very socialized German Shepherd who became "reactive" after two large unleashed dogs attacked him while he was using the bathroom and I was alone, and helping him work through his issues has really made me have a passion for helping dogs who are aggressive as it can help strengthen the bond between owner and pet. I want to work with dogs specifically at risk for BE as I understand it is a final act of kindness, but I would like to help give them one last chance before a permanent solution is found. Maybe there's a link between neuro/TBI/concussions that can be seen in a dogs brain that can be pinpointed to help determine how to best treat aggression and reactivity in dogs similarly to how they can see the difference in human brains that are healthy or affected by mental illnesses such as depression and PTSD. I think it would be interested to find a connection between pathology and animal behavior and studying the brains of different dogs, aggressive and not, to find the best way to help our furbabies feel more comfortable in their day to day life.
I absolutely love this!! If we both get into Wisconsin we need to make this happen

I absolutely love this!! If we both get into Wisconsin we need to make this happen
Even if we don't both get in, I would still love to work on something like this!! We could work on it together during or after vet school, but I think if there was a concrete difference, it may allow us to decide on better meds to give them and help calm the furbabies down. Just like humans have around 8 different types of depression, there may be different forms of aggression that can be treated differently for more success. Even if there isn't any major difference, hopefully, it will open the door for other testing to be done.

Even if we don't both get in, I would still love to work on something like this!! We could work on it together during or after vet school, but I think if there was a concrete difference, it may allow us to decide on better meds to give them and help calm the furbabies down. Just like humans have around 8 different types of depression, there may be different forms of aggression that can be treated differently for more success. Even if there isn't any major difference, hopefully, it will open the door for other testing to be done.
My dog also became reactive after he was attacked by another dog while using the bathroom. He is the sweetest boy and I can tell he’s just scared and nervous. We’ve been through training and he’s a lot better, but still not the same. I think this is an amazing thing to research and I’d love to work on this with you guys if possible!!

My dog also became reactive after he was attacked by another dog while using the bathroom. He is the sweetest boy and I can tell he’s just scared and nervous. We’ve been through training and he’s a lot better, but still not the same. I think this is an amazing thing to research and I’d love to work on this with you guys if possible!!
Unfortunately, people around my apartment don't leash their dogs so I have had several dogs run into my dog's face too, even when I yell at them to leash their dog. The worst part is one of the dogs that attacked mine is still left off-leash and runs up to mine, but I carry a noise corrector now to keep them back since I have desensitized my dog to it. I would really enjoy working on something to help the poor babies who are reactive through no fault of their own and I would love it if you worked on it with us too!! My dog is also not the same even with training. He trusts me to protect him while he uses the bathroom now, but he's definitely hyper-vigilant with his surroundings now on walks and it seems like he doesn't enjoy them as much anymore and it's heartbreaking to see.

I love how we’re getting a project together and we aren’t even in school yet

Reactions: 2 users
Is it best to write all the optional essays (specifically the COVID one) even if you don't have much to say?

Is it best to write all the optional essays (specifically the COVID one) even if you don't have much to say?
Wait you don’t have to answer everything???

I did all of them. But I want to say if it reads optional they should t hold it against you if you didn’t.

First time OOS applicant.. working on the supplemental app! Good luck everyone ~

For the updated experience section, are you guys writing it in essay format or in bullet point format with summaries for each experience? Not sure if they want a formal essay or to just list the experience followed by summary like we did in the VMCAS experience section

For the updated experience section, are you guys writing it in essay format or in bullet point format with summaries for each experience? Not sure if they want a formal essay or to just list the experience followed by summary like we did in the VMCAS experience section
I'll be doing bullet points with experience and number of hours with a mini paragraph/couple sentences of responsibilities below. My friend who now is a 1st year at UW did the same with her supplemental for this question also. :)

I just emailed the office of academic affairs to clarify the diversity section two part on the supplemental. Probably won't get anything till at least Monday since its Saturday but I'll post here once I get a response!

Reactions: 2 users
Is anyone else having difficulty logging into the supplemental application? I’ve tried to reset my password, and never received a reset link

Does anyone know if the updated experience and work sections required to fill out? I have had a really heavy academic quarter and haven't gained any new experience or jobs since September, so I have nothing to add to these prompts.

Does anyone know if the updated experience and work sections required to fill out? I have had a really heavy academic quarter and haven't gained any new experience or jobs since September, so I have nothing to add to these prompts.
I just wrote "No new animal experiences." since I didn't get any more since September.

Heard back from Carmen today regarding the diversity section question. Just put your current top 2 interests, they are very aware this may change in the course of the program. Best of luck to those who are also still working on the supplemental...currently procrastinating one last essay :lol:

Reactions: 6 users
Did Wisconsin require the gre this cycle or was it optional I saw something for the GRE on the supplemental application site?

do y’all think fostering an animal can count as animal hours? for the additional experience section I have not had any further experience but I feel awful putting that lol

do y’all think fostering an animal can count as animal hours? for the additional experience section I have not had any further experience but I feel awful putting that lol
As long as this experience is new and you didn't have it included on your VMCAS, I'd count it! If they don't want to that's their choice but I would at least have it on there so they can consider it.

• Care

Of course! Fostering is a very important part of volunteer veterinary work, and we sooo appreciate it in clinics.

You are giving your time, and love to an animal who needs a place to stay. You’re helping them recover psychological and emotionally from whatever trauma they come from. Depending on the case, you might also be nursing them back to health.

I would definitely mention it!

• Care
I put fostering on my initial application! Like someone else said it wouldn’t hurt your application so why not.

• Care