UW-Madison c/o 2027 hopefuls

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I was called 2 weeks ago for a scholarship that covers the first year! They said the general scholarship form is sent out in late spring.
Are you IS or OOS? That’s amazing, congratulations!!

Members don't see this ad.

Has anyone who accepted their seat heard anything about financial aid? I signed up for the NetID thing, but I haven't seen anything else. Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything :)

Has anyone who accepted their seat heard anything about financial aid? I signed up for the NetID thing, but I haven't seen anything else. Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything :)
I haven’t heard anything yet, hopefully we’ll be hearing more after the deadline to accept

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone who is attending in fall start to find housing yet?
Yes! My wife and I just signed a lease for an apartment about 5 miles from the school. It's an apartment in Fitchburg. We toured a bunch of other places too, so there seems to be a good amount of housing available in the area.

I was recently accepted into my top OOS program earlier this week and will be pulling myself from the IS alternate list! For reference I was originally 17 and moved to 9. Best of luck to all! ❤️

Does anyone have any insight on what housing looks like in the area? I saw the email they sent out and it had some info, but I'll be moving from PA, so I won't be able to tour anywhere before moving in. Is on-campus housing reasonable, or is off-campus housing a better deal?

Does anyone have any insight on what housing looks like in the area? I saw the email they sent out and it had some info, but I'll be moving from PA, so I won't be able to tour anywhere before moving in. Is on-campus housing reasonable, or is off-campus housing a better deal?
I posted earlier that my wife and I recently got an apartment in the Fitchburg area (~5 miles from UW), and during our time looking for housing, there were lots of option depending on your situation. I didn't even really consider on-campus housing considering I'm married with 3 pets, but in terms of off-campus housing, it really ranges in price. The availability is very high with it being a big city, it's just what fits your budget/situation. We were largely looking at 2b/1ba places (actually settled for a LARGE 1b/1ba), and these primarily ranged in price from about $1500-2200+. 1b/1ba were obviously less expensive, maybe in the range of $1200-1800; again, we didn't look too much into these. Ours ended up being on the high end since it was a large 1b/1ba. Other than the one we ended up getting in Fitchburg, we did tour several other apartments, namely Crosshill Heights, Preserve West, and Swan Creek. Preserve West was definitely the least expensive of the ones we looked at, but there were also several red flags in terms of the actual living situation; Crosshill and Swan were very nice, just more on the pricey side. I really don't have any info about the on-campus housing situation, so that might be good to look into as well. Overall, there's lots of available housing in the city, just depends on where your budget is at.

Members don't see this ad :)
I don't know of any vet students who live on campus. There are a few decent apartment complexes about a ten minute walk from the school that a lot of us live in (usually in the 1000-1800 range for a studio or one bedroom of varying niceness, and plenty of bigger options for roommates), otherwise a lot of people commute from the neighboring towns where the rent is a little cheaper.

Not going to Madison, but I am originally from Madison so I can help out a little here! If you can make it work I highly recommend living off campus/not in the downtown area your savings accounts will thank you and imo its not the nicest area to live in due to it being so crowded and really close to the overall UW undergrad campus and SO much construction that makes driving conditions dicey come winter time. Fitchburg is a good option, so is Verona and the West side of Madison if you can make it work 😊

I don't know of any vet students who live on campus. There are a few decent apartment complexes about a ten minute walk from the school that a lot of us live in (usually in the 1000-1800 range for a studio or one bedroom of varying niceness, and plenty of bigger options for roommates), otherwise a lot of people commute from the neighboring towns where the rent is a little cheaper.
Can I ask where these apartments are located so I can look into availability?

Can I ask where these apartments are located so I can look into availability?
University Avenue, from the 1600 to 2500 block for the ones near campus, and the towns of Fitchburg and Verona for the farther out ones.

For those working on the scholarship application, does anyone know what they are looking for for the rating descriptions of different areas of interest?

For those working on the scholarship application, does anyone know what they are looking for for the rating descriptions of different areas of interest?
My guess is they want to know why you are more interested in one area than another but I could be misreading it.

Does anyone know how many electives people usually enroll in their first year? I just did my enrollment for Fall semester and signed up for one elective, but idk if it's better to do more?

Does anyone know how many electives people usually enroll in their first year? I just did my enrollment for Fall semester and signed up for one elective, but idk if it's better to do more?
From what they said at the open house/tour, it sounded like it’s really personal preference. Some people don’t take any, some people will take 1 or more than 1. I don’t think I will take any first semester just with adjusting to new living situation and the workload, but it depends on you!

I made my NetID and have access to my student homepage. What happens next?
You should be able to start enrolling in your classes if you want now! I received an email recently from them about enrolling in Fall classes with detailed instructions, and that's all done through your student homepage. That's also where you can access financial stuff. I have yet to fully explore the full extent of it, but that's what I have used it for thus far anyways. I was also able to access my Canvas page for the school by clicking on the Academic Navigator box, but obviously since no courses have started, it is empty.

You should be able to start enrolling in your classes if you want now! I received an email recently from them about enrolling in Fall classes with detailed instructions, and that's all done through your student homepage. That's also where you can access financial stuff. I have yet to fully explore the full extent of it, but that's what I have used it for thus far anyways. I was also able to access my Canvas page for the school by clicking on the Academic Navigator box, but obviously since no courses have started, it is empty.
Thank you so much! Do you know how to access scholarship applications? I saw a few posts above about them

Thank you so much! Do you know how to access scholarship applications? I saw a few posts above about them
Yes! I received an email a few days age about applying for scholarships and it said that we can start applying for them. There is a link in that email that should take you right to the scholarship application. The email was from a Stella Molde.

If you didn't get that email, you can also access the scholarship application through the MyUW page by clicking on the box titled, "Student Center". From there, click on the box entitled "Wisconsin Scholarship Hub". This should take you to this hub and if you log in with your NetID credentials in the top right corner, it should take you right to the vet med scholarships. I will warn you that the "School of Veterinary Medicine Scholarship", which you should get automatically for being part of the SVM, is quite lengthy lol, so it might take you a few days! I for one will certainly not finish it until next week since I have finals tomorrow lol.

Yes! I received an email a few days age about applying for scholarships and it said that we can start applying for them. There is a link in that email that should take you right to the scholarship application. The email was from a Stella Molde.

If you didn't get that email, you can also access the scholarship application through the MyUW page by clicking on the box titled, "Student Center". From there, click on the box entitled "Wisconsin Scholarship Hub". This should take you to this hub and if you log in with your NetID credentials in the top right corner, it should take you right to the vet med scholarships. I will warn you that the "School of Veterinary Medicine Scholarship", which you should get automatically for being part of the SVM, is quite lengthy lol, so it might take you a few days! I for one will certainly not finish it until next week since I have finals tomorrow lol.
Thank you so much!! So excited for this fall!

Does anyone know for scholarships, if you rate something as zero, do you have to write anything in the rating description?

Does anyone know if there are opportunities to work on clinical skills during the first semester if we didn't get into the clinical skill class?