UTHSCSA Class of 2009 part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lane said:
we'll be sending out order forms for shirts, study CDs, etc. over the summer (hopefully soon)

Please say it'll be sent in May--I'm going to be out of the country from May 30th until right before school starts.......

I'm also pretty bummed that there won't be any "welcome weekend" :( ....but I have to agree it is not fair to put it all on current students to organize it. I think the welcome weekend should have been organized and ready to go around Feb 2nd :oops:

Anyway, TGIF! :D

-tx

Members don't see this ad.

Picked up "Clinical Micro Made Ridiculously Simple, 3d ed." yesterday. I'm really impressed how it uses classic memory techniques to help you remember the relevant info.

:thumbup:

EvoDevo said:
Picked up "Clinical Micro Made Ridiculously Simple, 3d ed." yesterday. I'm really impressed how it uses classic memory techniques to help you remember the relevant info.

:thumbup:

It reads smoothly and has great tricks to memorize. It's going to be a fantastic resource. I also picked up BRS Physiology by Costanzo recently and First Aid gave this book an A. I like the concise outline format and diagrams. I heard (from some UTHSCSA graduates) that physio was not a strong point at UTHSCSA so I figure there is going to be a lot of self learning. Maybe the new systems based curriculum will have a better physio section.

Members don't see this ad :)
So I went to the bookstore website.....and I didn't see anything worth buying. None of the clothing items have the logo on them, though the text says they do.... :confused:

EvoDevo said:
So I went to the bookstore website.....and I didn't see anything worth buying. None of the clothing items have the logo on them, though the text says they do.... :confused:

I have a navy blue baseball cap that just says University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio in yellow. I just went to the site to find it again and it is not there.

G0S2 said:
I have a navy blue baseball cap that just says University of Texas Health Science Center San Antonio in yellow. I just went to the site to find it again and it is not there.
Did you buy it from the website to begin with?

EvoDevo said:
Did you buy it from the website to begin with?

Yep. It was easy to find when I did. I can't find it now. It seems like they cut back on lots of stuff. There was a category called hats, I believe.

I got "Clinical Micro Made Ridiculously Simple" too--I love the format! (I have a feeling the info. will stick in my head for a long time :laugh: ) I also got the Lippencott Biochem and BRS Path (to get a feel for the BRS series--so far so good)

You guys are free to borrow my books to see if you like 'em anytime :D

So which atlas are you guys going to buy? I heard that it might better to get something more "realistic" as opposed to the netters? (Or perhaps in addition to the netters since we get a free one with membership to one of the organizations?)

-tx

txguy said:
I got "Clinical Micro Made Ridiculously Simple Too"--I love the format! (I have a feeling the info. will stick in my head for a long time :laugh:) I also got the Lippencott Biochem and BRS Path (to get a feel for the BRS series--so far so good)

You guys are free to borrow my books to see if you like 'em anytime :D

So which atlas are you guys going to buy? I heard that it might better to get something more "realistic" as opposed to the netters? (Or perhaps in addition to the netters since we get a free one with membership to one of the organizations?)

-tx

I recently picked up Rohen's Color Atlas of Anatomy at a used book sale here at UMass Med. More realistic in terms of what you will see during dissections. Here at UMass, students use Netter's with Rohen's.

Where are you guys buying these books--at the online bookstore???

Hrm. Rohen's....

Say guys, I've started a couple of links threads at uthscsa.lampshark.com. Pop on over when you get the chance and add to as you see fit. :)

Thanks.

AsianDoc816 said:
Amazon.com or half-price books here in Houston.

The back section of First Aid has a rating of all the common review books for each subject and gives them a letter grade based on reviews from current medical students. I also plan on recording important points from class/notes into First Aid during MS1 and MS2. Just an all around great resource to have.

Members don't see this ad :)
txguy said:
Please say it'll be sent in May--I'm going to be out of the country from May 30th until right before school starts.......

I'm also pretty bummed that there won't be any "welcome weekend" :( ....but I have to agree it is not fair to put it all on current students to organize it. I think the welcome weekend should have been organized and ready to go around Feb 2nd :oops:

Anyway, TGIF! :D

-tx
even if you don't receive it in time you'll still be able to buy everything - we'll have extras on hand when yall arrive :)

AsianDoc816 said:

Amazon.com

Sometimes you have to search for the ISBN# directly (rather than the name), so you know you are ordering the latest edition.

I noticed one error in the 2005 First Aid--it does not list the latest edition of Lippencott Biochem....I ordered the 3rd Ed. copyright 2005....

-tx

txguy said:
Amazon.com

Sometimes you have to search for the ISBN# directly (rather than the name), so you know you are ordering the latest edition.

I noticed one error in the 2005 First Aid--it does not list the latest edition of Lippencott Biochem....I ordered the 3rd Ed. copyright 2005....

-tx

Most likely b/c they have not received any feedback about it yet or haven't had time to review it themselves. The 2nd edition received a B, I think. The one change to Lippincott's that I like is the addition of a concept map at the end of each chapter and chapter summaries at the end of the book. It makes it a bit easier to put things together.

txguy said:
Amazon.com

-tx

Okay, I guess I'm just really ******ed but....what is 2005 First Aid?

AsianDoc816 said:
Okay, I guess I'm just really ******ed but....what is 2005 First Aid?
First Aid for the USMLE Step 1 - it gives a good overview of all the subjects covered on the USMLE.

OH. MY. GOD. Please tell me you guys aren't buying books yet. You will set yourself out as a 'gunner class' ifyou keep this up.

Hints for what to do until school starts
1- open shiner
2- drink
3 repeat.

roja said:
OH. MY. GOD. Please tell me you guys aren't buying books yet. You will set yourself out as a 'gunner class' ifyou keep this up.

1- open shiner
2- drink
3 repeat.

Hey, it's not the whole class....I wouldn't have bought any books if it weren't for these darned SDN guys scaring me half to death! (I feel like I'm already clueless and months behind!) Nah, it couldn't be that bad to at least get a glimpse of what I'm gonna be learning for the next 2 years....I mean, for the remainder of my life....

roja said:
1- open shiner
2- drink
3 repeat.

Hints for what to do during medical school (and perhaps residency)

1- open shiner
2- drink
3 repeat

Eid
UTHSCSA class of 2002

God, do I miss Shiner!!!!

I have been reading these review books for years. I am just hoping I can take Step 1 now and go right into rotations. :laugh:

roja said:
1- open shiner
2- drink
3 repeat.

They got Shiner out here in LA! It partly helps explain my drinking habits...

I think I'm feeling like AsianDoc--Should I already have my books??? Is there a magic ms1 book list going around that I haven't seen yet? You guys are freaking me out!!! :eek:

ladyybugg said:
I think I'm feeling like AsianDoc--Should I already have my books??? Is there a magic ms1 book list going around that I haven't seen yet? You guys are freaking me out!!! :eek:

The "magic" book that they're talking about is "First Aid for the USMLE Step 1: 2005." It supposedly has a good list of 1st and 2nd year textbooks to buy at the back of the book....I'm gonna buy it online at either B&N or Amazon. FYI, there's also one for Steps 2 and 3....it certainly wouldn't hurt to get a head start on book-buying, even if you don't pop 'em open until July. Geez, and I thought I was almost finished with school for a while! I told myself that I wouldn't be doing any academic activities over the summer. We'll see how that pans out.... :) Hope this helped!

On another note, I think I'm set to move in at Carlyle, but they haven't told me which apartment I'm in b/c they don't know for SURE. For anyone who can answer--how are you providing them with proof that you're a student at UTHSCSA? Angela said something about finding financial aid records online--is that what you guys are doing?

AsianDoc816 said:
The "magic" book that they're talking about is "First Aid for the USMLE Step 1: 2005." It supposedly has a good list of 1st and 2nd year textbooks to buy at the back of the book....I'm gonna buy it online at either B&N or Amazon. FYI, there's also one for Steps 2 and 3....it certainly wouldn't hurt to get a head start on book-buying, even if you don't pop 'em open until July. Geez, and I thought I was almost finished with school for a while! I told myself that I wouldn't be doing any academic activities over the summer. We'll see how that pans out.... :) Hope this helped!

On another note, I think I'm set to move in at Carlyle, but they haven't told me which apartment I'm in b/c they don't know for SURE. For anyone who can answer--how are you providing them with proof that you're a student at UTHSCSA? Angela said something about finding financial aid records online--is that what you guys are doing?

It has a good list of review books for each subject in the back and gives them a letter grade. For example, Clinical Micro Made Ridiculously Simple received an A. I have been told by more than one medical studen that it is a good idea to have First Aid with you during MS1 and MS2 so you can occasionally write some notes in it so it will be an more familiar reference to fall back on for Step 1.

The reason why I have these books is b/c I am at a med school and many of my med student friends tell me what really worked for them. So, every now and then, I will pick one up so I won't have to later. Once we are all in the thick of classes, we can share ideas about what works and what doesn't. I am not actively studying from these books right now.
:scared: :scared: I just flip through them to see what they are all about.

What he said. I'm not actually studying yet, just collecting books. :D

You gusy are going to end up looking back at the end of second years and feel the futility and sadness of having to watch ms1's make the same mistake over and over. buying tons of review books you won't use. Remember, you have to read the syllabus also whihcisn't a two page summary fo the entire semester!

Take serious chill pills and just wait. First Aide is a good start. from there, wait and see how you are doing in individual classes. some you might want a stud guide, some you won't.

Take a deep breath and drink more. :D

AsianDoc816 said:

Hmmmmm.....I thought Angela would just trust us? :rolleyes: :D (Have you seen that t-shirt, "Trust me, I'm a Doctor"--maybe we can make a shirt that says, "Trust me, I'm a medical student" :laugh: )

By the way, if you are thinking about where you want to put all of your furtniture in your apt, I found out that Carlyle's maintence guys will re-route your cable/tv outlet to pretty much any wall you want (they pick up the carpet and run a wire). The Time Warner rep I talked to said most apartments don't allow that to happen, let alone do it themselves free of charge!

EvoDevo said:
What he said. I'm not actually studying yet, just collecting books. :D

Ditto.

Besides, First Aid has some cool mnemonics and other stuff I think will help us alongside our first 2 years....and G0S2 is right, at least these books won't seem foreign to us if we've already been looking at them throughout MSI and MSII.

Just collecting and lightly perusing!

-tx

AsianDoc816 said:

I haven't been asked to provide proof. When I was in SA I turned in an application and have an apartment number. After I got back home Santina (Assistant Manager) called letting me know that I've been approved- I believe they ran a credit check. So, as far as I know, i just have to turn in my signed lease. You should be fine if you submit a copy of your financial aid award letter.

ladyybugg said:
I haven't been asked to provide proof. When I was in SA I turned in an application and have an apartment number. After I got back home Santina (Assistant Manager) called letting me know that I've been approved- I believe they ran a credit check. So, as far as I know, i just have to turn in my signed lease. You should be fine if you submit a copy of your financial aid award letter.

Yes, it was the financial aid stuff....Santina said something about this acting as "proof" of our student status at UTHSCSA....sorry for the confusion. I'm 99% sure that I've been "approved," but they're checking to see if they can get me into a first-floor apartment (I've been placed in a 2nd floor apartment). I think this is why I haven't been assigned an official apartment number yet. I really just need to make another visit down to SA after I get out of school....

roja said:
....some you might want a stud guide, some you won't.
So what are you trying to say here, eh? Am I not man enough for you? :( :(

*sobs uncontrollably*

Go Mavs!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D

-tx

txguy said:

-tx

As long as you watch the Spurs at 10:30 ET... ;) It's sacrilege to spend the next four years in SA and not cheer for basketball's classiest and best team...

Manu is awesome.

USCTex said:
As long as you watch the Spurs at 10:30 ET... ;) It's sacrilege to spend the next four years in SA and not cheer for basketball's classiest and best team...

Manu is awesome.

Deal.....and maybe you could cheer for the Longhorns next year?

Just messin' with ya! :D :D

-tx

EvoDevo said:
So what are you trying to say here, eh? Am I not man enough for you? :( :(

*sobs uncontrollably*

Education is never a waste. :love: :p :p

txguy said:

-tx

Hey now, the Rockets still have a chance! Geez, when they were up 2-0, I thought they'd have 4 games easy....now, it looks like anything could happen. Go Rockets!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :) :luck: :p :luck:

guys and gals,

Is there anything we need, fin aid wise, to see at inside.uthscsa.edu
And if so, do you call that number to get a log in? Has anyone done that?

Also, hooray for the Spurs.

USCTex said:
guys and gals,

Is there anything we need, fin aid wise, to see at inside.uthscsa.edu
And if so, do you call that number to get a log in? Has anyone done that?

Also, hooray for the Spurs.

When I spoke to Fin Aid last week they told me that they are still working on getting our accounts up and that the site should be good to go soon.

Wake up, people!!!

I'm so mad at the refereeing that's going on with the Rockets. They are getting HOSED by bs calls.

At least the Spurs are doing alright. :D

EvoDevo said:
Wake up, people!!!

I'm so mad at the refereeing that's going on with the Rockets. They are getting HOSED by bs calls.

At least the Spurs are doing alright. :D

hehe :D :D Well, at least the Mavs/Rockets series has been very close and exciting to watch--in a perfect world both teams would advance to the 2nd round (leaving the likes of Sacramento and Seattle behind)

Hello everyone........the semester is winding down for me....finals are next week and then I'm freeeeee for a few months....

-tx

txguy said:
hehe :D :D Well, at least the Mavs/Rockets series has been very close and exciting to watch--in a perfect world both teams would advance to the 2nd round (leaving the likes of Sacramento and Seattle behind)
If by "close" you mean that the Rockets would have won the last game but for Crap Calls, then yes, it has been a "close" series. :D :D :D

HaloWuss said:
Hello everyone........the semester is winding down for me....finals are next week and then I'm freeeeee for a few months....

-tx
Good. More time to have me slaughter you on Halo2. :smuggrin: ;)

BTW, the new maps are online in Live today. :thumbup:

G0S2 said:
Celt's are in trouble.
Sadly, the Celtics haven't been good since the days of Robert Parrish, Larry Bird, etc.

And man, I remember watching Magic Johnson and Kareem play the Bird/Parrish Celtics back in the day. Like, I saw a game from courtside. That's when basketball was a sport of beauty.

*holds up lighter*

EvoDevo said:
If by "close" you mean that the Rockets would have won the last game but for Crap Calls, then yes, it has been a "close" series. :D :D :D

hehehe, be careful or Marc Stein may fine you 100 large too!! :laugh:

EvoDevo said:
Good. More time to have me slaughter you on Halo2. :smuggrin: ;)

:laugh:

EvoDevo said:
BTW, the new maps are online in Live today. :thumbup:

Sweeeet! I totally forgot about that! Was there any truth to a new "sidewinder-type" map?

-tx

EvoDevo said:
Sadly, the Celtics haven't been good since the days of Robert Parrish, Larry Bird, etc.

And man, I remember watching Magic Johnson and Kareem play the Bird/Parrish Celtics back in the day. Like, I saw a game from courtside. That's when basketball was a sport of beauty.

*holds up lighter*

I hear you! Robert Parrish, the "Chief"!!!

I grew up in the late 80s watching Michael Jordan, Larry Legend, Magic, Barkley, Malone, Dominique Wilkins, Hakeem Olajuwon, Isiah Thomas/Dumars, etc etc.....its just not the same anymore!

-tx

EvoDevo said:

*holds up lighter*

That's why it's tough to see Bird sitting on the opposing team's bench.

txguy said:
hehehe, be careful or Marc Stein may fine you 100 large too!! :laugh:
Yeah, isn't that a load of crap??? That seemed extremely excessive to me.

txguy said:
You're laughing now but you won't be soon enough, boy-o. :smuggrin:

txguy said:
Sweeeet! I totally forgot about that! Was there any truth to a new "sidewinder-type" map?
Yes. It's called "Containment" and is pretty cool.

BTW, it looks like G0S and I are going to be rooommates. :thumbup: He also has an Xbox. So that makes, what, three of us there who play? Think we'll have time for a little Lan-party/BBQ/Booze action?

:idea:

EvoDevo said:
BTW, it looks like G0S and I are going to be rooommates. :thumbup: He also has an Xbox. So that makes, what, three of us there who play? Think we'll have time for a little Lan-party/BBQ/Booze action?

Always gotta make time for _____ + booze action! (put any activity in the blank :laugh: )

-tx

EvoDevo said:
Yeah, isn't that a load of crap??? That seemed extremely excessive to me.

You're laughing now but you won't be soon enough, boy-o. :smuggrin:

Yes. It's called "Containment" and is pretty cool.

Thats how you break it to em??? I figured there would be a bigger SDN announcement since you are a MOD.

Status
Not open for further replies.