UTHSCSA Class of 2009 part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
AsianDoc816--Thanks for the hotel info, I'll have to look into it.

I am a facebook fan too:) There's actually a group for the UTHSCSA Class of 2009 if you went/grad from UTAustin.

My facebook link is:

http://utexas.thefacebook.com/profile.php?id=7915551&l=386cc7d178

Members don't see this ad.

DualSuperLead said:
So I haven't posted anything on here in awhile, but I was wondering if any of you all are facebook fans? I think facebook is the best thing ever and it could be a way for people to start putting names to faces.

Anyway, everyone should go see the movie "Crash". Yeah, I know a movie with Ludacris and a surprise appearance by Tony Danza sounds fishy, but it is a really good exploration of urban racial tension.

Add me as a friend!
http://utdallas.thefacebook.com/profile.php?id=44400040
Hey there:

I must be ******ed because I couldn't figure out how to add you (I don't use facebook much).

My link:http://utexas.thefacebook.com/profile.php?id=7924136

Members don't see this ad :)
Hmmm.

I was only able to add MNsloopy. I guess I don't know how to use facebook either.

Class of 2009,

I'm passing along something I read about in this morning's San Antonio Express News, and it is a sad note indeed. A gentleman who was to be a member of your class was killed in Iraq on Saturday. Marine Reservist Sgt. Aaron N. Cepeda Sr, 22, was one of two San Antonio Marines killed late Saturday by a suicide bomber in Anbar province, Iraq. The newspaper article says that he'd been accepted to UTHSCSA medical school, with hopes of becoming a cardiovascular surgeon. So, very very sad news , but I thought you all would like to know about this.

Kevin
MS3

kevinf911 said:
Class of 2009,

I'm passing along something I read about in this morning's San Antonio Express News, and it is a sad note indeed. A gentleman who was to be a member of your class was killed in Iraq on Saturday. Marine Reservist Sgt. Aaron N. Cepeda Sr, 22, was one of two San Antonio Marines killed late Saturday by a suicide bomber in Anbar province, Iraq. The newspaper article says that he'd been accepted to UTHSCSA medical school, with hopes of becoming a cardiovascular surgeon. So, very very sad news , but I thought you all would like to know about this.

Kevin
MS3
:( :(

Rest well, Marine.

Thanks for the heads up, Kevin.

Here's the text of that article.

---------------------

Scott Huddleston
Express-News Staff Writer

On Mother's Day, at about 6 a.m., Marine Sgt. Aaron Cepeda Sr.'s wife got a call on her cell phone.

The caller identified himself as a member of the Marine Corps, Ella Cepeda recalled. He said there had been an accident but couldn't tell her the details over the phone. He asked her to come to the front door.

Two Marines in full dress uniforms were standing there, on the same 10-acre spread in Elmendorf where Aaron Cepeda had helped build his family's two-story house, swam in their pool and gone fishing with his son at a stocked pond.

It was supposed to be where he'd raise his children while chasing his dream of becoming a cardiovascular surgeon.

The Marines had news that put those plans to rest. Cepeda, 22, was one of two San Antonio Marine reservists killed late Saturday by a suicide bomber in a car in Anbar province, Iraq.

The other, Lance Cpl. Lance T. Graham, 26, had kidded with Cepeda when they visited Las Vegas before deploying that he was too young to be giving orders.

"So I'm being pushed around by a 22-year-old?" Graham quipped, Cepeda's wife recalled.

Playful taunting was at the core of their bond. Graham was a Madison High School graduate and Texas Longhorns fan. Cepeda had gone to Health Careers High School and was an Aggie, with a pre-med degree from Texas A&M University at Corpus Christi.

In Iraq, however, in the 3rd Battalion, 25th Regiment, 4th Marine Division, they were like family. Cepeda's parents would send $60 worth of jerky in a care package, and it would be gone in a day, since he'd share it with Graham and others in his unit.

They ate together, and on Saturday they died together.

Cepeda's son, Aaron Jr., turns 5 Thursday. Hearing him say "my daddy's dead" or "he says he's going to come back" was tough enough for relatives.

But when he said, "Mom, I told Daddy not to get on the bus, but he did," recalling that day in January at San Antonio's Marine Reserve center, that might have been the hardest.

"What I hate is that it'll be a closed coffin," said the Marine's father, Michael Cepeda Sr.

As a former helicopter pilot in Vietnam, Michael Cepeda Sr. knows a person in uniform doesn't question a government's reasons for a war. Yet he had urged his son to come home a few weeks ago after a mortar round threw him 10 feet, injuring his back and leaving him deaf in one ear.

His son could have returned, Michael Cepeda said, and had the church wedding he'd longed for. He could've studied at the University of Texas Health Science Center, which called his wife Monday to say he'd been accepted at the medical school. He could have raised little "A.J." and Journee, his 16-month-old daughter, on the wooded acreage he would've inherited, where he'd lived all his life.

But the Marines' motto is semper fidelis —always faithful. He stayed in Iraq and hoped to return to San Antonio with his buddies in the fall.

"I told him to be careful about cars, to shoot and ask questions later," his father said. "But he didn't want to get into trouble. If he saw a car zig-zagging and could sense danger, he didn't know if he should shoot or not."

Funeral arrangements are pending with Angelus Funeral Home. A service and burial are planned at St. Anthony's Church in Elmendorf.

Aaron Cepeda also is survived by his mother, Diana Cepeda, and an older brother, Michael Jr.

Though Aaron was fit and athletic, he was preceded in death in recent years by two younger brothers who were disabled and in poor health. His father long has suspected the effects of his exposure to the defoliant Agent Orange in Vietnam.

Aaron's strength, intellect and drive always defied that notion.

"He was my pride and joy," Michael Cepeda Sr. said.

Ella Cepeda, who recently turned 24, received a birthday card from her husband over the weekend.

Now, the family will have to prepare for Aaron Jr.'s birthday, just a few days before they bury his daddy.

kevinf911 said:
Class of 2009,

Kevin
MS3

Very sad. Thank you for passing that along.

kevinf911 said:
Class of 2009,

Kevin
MS3

Thank you for passing this along....my thoughts and prayers go out to them....very, very, very sad news :( ......

-tx

My regards and prayers go out to the Cepeda family....

Last exam for me in a few hours! :thumbup: :thumbup:

AD: You're done today too, right? If so, good luck! :luck:

-tx

txguy said:
Last exam for me in a few hours! :thumbup: :thumbup:

AD: You're done today too, right? If so, good luck! :luck:

-tx

Yes....almost done....exam is at 9 AM....and then I'm DONE forevaaaaa!!!!!! :D

:luck: GOOD LUCK TX! :luck:

Members don't see this ad :)
good luck on your tests guys.

Oh, I am SO done with undergrad! Well, let's see, I'm actually done for the second time....graduated in December 2003 and had the crazy idea to take MORE classes this semester. So, I finished with my Psychopharmacology class yesterday at 10:30, made a 95 on my last 15-page paper ever, and completed my term paper for lab after my final. Ahhhhh, and guess what? I'm headed to SA later today to get my parking permit, student ID, and secure things at Carlyle. Woot woot! Yah, and for some reason, I still wake up at 7:45 in the morning.... :thumbup: :p :laugh:

Hey everyone!!!!

A question to current students----

What social activities usually go on during orientation week? If you don't know what specifically is being planned for our orientation, what kinds of things did your class do? Just curious. :hardy:

ladyybugg said:
Hey everyone!!!!

What social activities usually go on during orientation week? If you don't know what specifically is being planned for our orientation, what kinds of things did your class do? Just curious. :hardy:

Thank god I graduated. I'm driving back to San Antonio today...
To everyone else who graduated or is about to, congratulations.

Anyway, we are going to have an outstanding time that orientation week, if for no other reason than I don't intend to let anyone spend those nights at home without a fight.

The weekend before August 1st, we don't know if orientation stuff is still going on then do we? Because, if we have that friday or saturday free -- Schlitterbahn up in new braunfels is awesome...

Going to finish packing :)

ladyybugg said:
Hey everyone!!!!

the peer advisors are in charge of those social events, but we were just chosen a couple of weeks ago. we haven't met about orientation week yet since we have finals starting this week but we should have an idea soon.

last year we had a night of playing pool at Fast Eddie's, which went really well since it gave people a good social scene to mingle and meet lots of people...we'll probably do this again.
we'll probably also hit up a Missions game for the same reason...it's chill and it'll give yall a good chance to hang out with your new classmates.
we'll also probably end up at some bars/clubs like Hooligans (formerly Duke's), Howl at the Moon, etc.

the big thing that we're already planning (that i think i've mentioned before) is our semiformal banquet. we found a venue yesterday and we're crunching numbers at this point, but it will be on friday, august 12. we wanted to have an end-of-the-year semi but (much like the welcome weekend) we didn't want to pull anything off last second just for the sake of doing so. so we decided to postpone it until august so we could invite your class as well as the incoming dentite class and DS2s (maybe more, we'll see)...and so we could devote the time and energy to make it awesome. $30 will get you great food, great music (we're looking at having a DJ AND a live band), and great times with tons of HSCers (and we're working on having some free drinks in there too).

while i'm thinking about it, i may as well tell you about the facebook we're going to do too. we just took pictures of everyone in our class yesterday and we're going to ask that everyone in your class send in a picture of yourselves so we can make a facebook (like a yearbook but at the beginning of the year). that way it'll be easier for yall (and us) to recognize who's who in your class AND our class. we'll also put info like hometown, college, hobbies, specialty of interest, etc. it should be a fun venture!

we're finalizing a packet to send out to everyone that'll be piggybacked with info the school is going to send out late may/early june. we'll include info on orientation stuff, the big sib program, the facebook, etc. as well as an order form for t-shirts, study CDs (these are KEY), semi tickets, etc.

as always, if you have any questions you can hit me up via PM or e-mail at [email protected]

Great post, Lane.

Okay, we need to post a social calendar on the class home page. :D The pre-orientation party should be the weekend of our white coat. Friday the 21st? Saturday? Thoughts?

and how was the 5K? are you all sweaty?

Is anybody going to buy the Dell Laptop (Dell Latitude D610) through the Univeristy Student Laptop purchase program?? The on-campus technical support is certainly appealing!

Comments? Thoughts?

-tx

EvoDevo said:
Check out Antenna. :)

Yeah, I kicked ass. And I got hit on too. :eek:

Not suprising! :D Congrats. (on both counts. ;))

txguy said:
Is anybody going to buy the Dell Laptop (Dell Latitude D610) through the Univeristy Student Laptop purchase program?? The on-campus technical support is certainly appealing!

Comments? Thoughts?

-tx

I'm gonna talk it over with my dad (he's a computer freak), but I'm thinking yes. I was planning on getting a laptop anyway. Is it strange to have both a laptop and a desktop PC? Sorry, I'm a little technology un-savvy. :confused:

Guys, I'm getting really sad....this is my last day in Austin. Going home tomorrow to spend some time with the fam. Geez, I've really fallen in love with this awesome city. I really don't think that any other Texas city can compare....

txguy said:

Comments? Thoughts?

-tx
got a link?

AsianDoc816 said:
Guys, I'm getting really sad....this is my last day in Austin. Going home tomorrow to spend some time with the fam. Geez, I've really fallen in love with this awesome city. I really don't think that any other Texas city can compare....
Sorry, AD. Yeah, you're right about Austin. It really *is* the best city in the state. But at least San Antone is close..... ;)

AsianDoc816 said:
I'm gonna talk it over with my dad (he's a computer freak), but I'm thinking yes. I was planning on getting a laptop anyway. Is it strange to have both a laptop and a desktop PC? Sorry, I'm a little technology un-savvy. :confused:

Let us know what your dad says! I already have a laptop, but I'm afraid its a little out of date (plus, the HD has crashed so many times, I would hate for that to happen in med school!). I just thought the on-campus techinical support would be pretty convenient. I had a laptop similar to the Lattitude D610 at my last job (I think it was a C400?)--it is really light, dependable, and has a pretty good battery life. Anybody else have thoughts? The due date for a reply is June 3rd!

And I agree, Austin is a city like no other......I think a t-shirt my friend has sums it up nicely, "Keep Austin Weird."

EvoDevo said:
got a link?

Be on the lookout for a letter from the medical dean's office. It will include:

*An update on our new "organ system" curriculum!
*Syllabus Info
*Computer Needs

-tx

txguy said:
Be on the lookout for a letter from the medical dean's office. It will include:

*An update on our new "organ system" curriculum!
*Syllabus Info
*Computer Needs

-tx
To relieve any anxiety, I can go ahead and tell you what that letter will probably say :)

Curriculum: The material won't change, but the order will. It'll make things easier and it'll allow you to get through everything 6 weeks shorter than previous classes. They're excited and you shouldn't be apprehensive, etc etc etc
Syllabus: It's ~$350 for almost all the notes you'll need. Be sure to set the money aside. They'll also probably say you should still buy the textbooks and attend all the classes, but you can decide that when you get here.
Computer needs: Everything on campus is PC compatible. You may run into some problems if you have a Mac. They'll say you don't NEED a computer since they just upgraded everything in the library, but it's recommended. You'll also need to buy a PDA for 3rd year.

There ya go :)

lane said:
To relieve any anxiety, I can go ahead and tell you what that letter will probably say :)

Curriculum: The material won't change, but the order will. It'll make things easier and it'll allow you to get through everything 6 weeks shorter than previous classes. They're excited and you shouldn't be apprehensive, etc etc etc
Syllabus: It's ~$350 for almost all the notes you'll need. Be sure to set the money aside. They'll also probably say you should still buy the textbooks and attend all the classes, but you can decide that when you get here.
Computer needs: Everything on campus is PC compatible. You may run into some problems if you have a Mac. They'll say you don't NEED a computer since they just upgraded everything in the library, but it's recommended. You'll also need to buy a PDA for 3rd year.

There ya go :)

:( I guess an apple powerbook G4 is out of the question? :(

By the way, thanks for the info on your previous post! Love the ideas! :idea: :thumbup:

-tx

txguy said:

Comments? Thoughts?

-tx
I think i'm gonna buy an IBM. I've been in laptop hell the last two weeks trying to figure out which one to get...I think I've settled on the IBM

I'm gonna miss Austin soooo much too!! I just moved all my furniture out of my apt, so it's totally empty in here. I have one more week in this city and I plan on enjoying it:)

MNsloopy said:
I'm gonna miss Austin soooo much too!! I just moved all my furniture out of my apt, so it's totally empty in here. I have one more week in this city and I plan on enjoying it:)

I'm leaving tomorrow....moving out at the end of June. I spent my last official day here with my bf at the botanical gardens in Zilker Park....it was such a beautiful day and I had a wonderful time. :D

I'm waiting for an apt at whispering creek to open. Are there any SDNers that live there and are gonna move out in july?

Thanks
Masoud

Hey guys,

I emailed the manager of the HSC computer store with a couple of questions and thought I would copy & paste the correspondence here:

Questions:
1) There is a due date of June 3rd to send our intent to purchase this laptop during orientation week. I was just wondering if we could hold off on this decision and purchase the laptop during the school year? (I already have a laptop that barely meets the minimum requirements set forth in the letter, and I want to see if I can use it before I purchase a new laptop)

2) Can we select a Dell laptop other than the Latitude D610 and still be supported by the University Computing Resources Department's Dell certified technicians? Or is the Dell Latitude D610 the only laptop that can be purchased through the purchase program and be supported by the school?

Answer:

The purchase of the laptop is based on the lead time we need to get the products in for you to use them upon registering. The agreement we have with Dell is for a short period of time and then it will be taken away. That is usually 1 month (30 calendar days). We do have an agreement with a company called SHI that supports Dell products (Latitude and Optiplex) that offer some discounts from retail products from the HS Computer Store, and that is all year.

Our Computer Support are trained to support the Dell laptop (Latitude only), desktop (Optiplex only) and all Apple products.

-tx

txguy said:
Hey guys,

I emailed the manager of the HSC computer store with a couple of questions and thought I would copy & paste the correspondence here:

Questions:
1) There is a due date of June 3rd to send our intent to purchase this laptop during orientation week. I was just wondering if we could hold off on this decision and purchase the laptop during the school year? (I already have a laptop that barely meets the minimum requirements set forth in the letter, and I want to see if I can use it before I purchase a new laptop)

2) Can we select a Dell laptop other than the Latitude D610 and still be supported by the University Computing Resources Department's Dell certified technicians? Or is the Dell Latitude D610 the only laptop that can be purchased through the purchase program and be supported by the school?

Answer:

The purchase of the laptop is based on the lead time we need to get the products in for you to use them upon registering. The agreement we have with Dell is for a short period of time and then it will be taken away. That is usually 1 month (30 calendar days). We do have an agreement with a company called SHI that supports Dell products (Latitude and Optiplex) that offer some discounts from retail products from the HS Computer Store, and that is all year.

Our Computer Support are trained to support the Dell laptop (Latitude only), desktop (Optiplex only) and all Apple products.

-tx
Good work, txguy! Notice that they *do* support apples. :p

txguy said:

Comments? Thoughts?

-tx

Hi all,

I'm in co 2009 and have been reading this thread for a couple of months. I'm excited to meet everyone in July. Just wanted to let you know that I bought a Latitude D810 a couple of months ago for med school and absolutely love it so far. It's a little bigger than the 610, but other than that it has many of the same features. I would definitely recommend either of these computers. Let me know if you have specific questions about it.

EvoDevo said:
Good work, txguy! Notice that they *do* support apples. :p
Tech support is trained to help with apple products (they have some in the library), but the software distributed by course directors won't work on macs (at least not the aforementioned library macs).

lane said:
Tech support is trained to help with apple products (they have some in the library), but the software distributed by course directors won't work on macs (at least not the aforementioned library macs).

Hey Lane-

I appreciate your help with all this. How important is the software that the course directors provide? Is it crucial for the course? I imagine the answer is yes. I purchased an iBook G4 (switched from PC) less than 6 months ago and I would rather not drop the $$ on another computer. If the software is a small aspect to the course I could always use a PC in the library. If not, then I will bite the bullet and "dude....get myself a Dell."

There is some really great software known as "Virtual PC": it creates a portion of your Mac that you can run Windows from. Hence, with this program you should be able to run PC-only software without any problems.

Where can you get it (good question :p)? I got mine from the UTHSCSA bookstore...I'm not sure how much it costs for students, but for staff and such you get a huge discount...ended up purchasing Office 2004 with Virtual PC for about $10.

Prophecies said:
There is some really great software known as "Virtual PC": it creates a portion of your Mac that you can run Windows from. Hence, with this program you should be able to run PC-only software without any problems.

Where can you get it (good question :p)? I got mine from the UTHSCSA bookstore...I'm not sure how much it costs for students, but for staff and such you get a huge discount...ended up purchasing Office 2004 with Virtual PC for about $10.

I forgot about that. Thank you.

G0S2 said:
Hey Lane-

I appreciate your help with all this. How important is the software that the course directors provide? Is it crucial for the course? I imagine the answer is yes. I purchased an iBook G4 (switched from PC) less than 6 months ago and I would rather not drop the $$ on another computer. If the software is a small aspect to the course I could always use a PC in the library. If not, then I will bite the bullet and "dude....get myself a Dell."
they're talking about reworking the quiz structure next year, so i don't know how important the Galen program for gross will be, but this year we had weekly quizzes based off questions directly from an Excel-based program (Galen). the neuro, histo, and micro CDs with all the slides and such were made with Macromedia (but back in like 94) and the library macs wouldn't read them. i know that they're replacing histo lab with a new DVD-based computer program, but since it's brand new i'd assume that it'd be mac-compatible (though you never know) if you wanted to just spend time in the library you could check all that out without any problems...it would probably be better than dropping $1200 on a new PC. i honestly don't know much about macs or Virtual PC so you may want to check it out when you get here.

Hey folks, I started a "social calendar" thread on the class page. Hopefully it'll help us keep track of things as they come up. Feel free to put stuff up there.

Cheers!

I had dinner with my dad last night and talked to him about the Dell Latitude 610. He didn't know about that laptop specifically, but he thought it'd probably be a good idea to have a laptop, especially for the courses that integrate computer imagery (i.e., gross anatomy) with lab/lecture. It seems like you'd be at a pretty serious disadvantage if you didn't have one for these types of classes (current students--correct me if I'm wrong). Since I don't currently have a laptop (mine crashed a few months ago), I'm definitely gonna fork out the $2100 to buy the 610. I'm looking forward to the technical support should anything go wrong with it. It's good to know that the tech help supports Apples as well....I know how loyal you Mac people are to your Macs. :)

Decided on an official moving date into Carlyle: June 29. I don't know if I'll stay from June 29th until school starts, but I should be coming in and out of SA from the 29th on. Back in Sugar Land for now....leaving for Hawaii on June 20th. :p

BTW, thanks Evo for the social calendar....I'm already looking forward to the semi-formal (it's four days shy of my 23rd b-day)!

AsianDoc816 said:
I had dinner with my dad last night and talked to him about the Dell Latitude 610. He didn't know about that laptop specifically, but he thought it'd probably be a good idea to have a laptop, especially for the courses that integrate computer imagery (i.e., gross anatomy) with lab/lecture. It seems like you'd be at a pretty serious disadvantage if you didn't have one for these types of classes (current students--correct me if I'm wrong). Since I don't currently have a laptop (mine crashed a few months ago), I'm definitely gonna fork out the $2100 to buy the 610. I'm looking forward to the technical support should anything go wrong with it. It's good to know that the tech help supports Apples as well....I know how loyal you Mac people are to your Macs. :)
So txguy and I were talking about this last night. We both have laptops that meet the specs (or close enough) called for. I dunno. I figure if I can get at least two more years out of my old warhorse then it's better to hang on to it. I can't imagine any software being so crazy that it bogs down my laptop (Pentium M 1.3, 64MB vid card, wireless B, etc.) What I will do is buy more memory and maybe a desktop to use as an "external" hard drive.

Besides, I had a Dell laptop for three years before this one an it was a creaky, heavy, buggy sonofagun. :scared:

BTW, thanks Evo for the social calendar....I'm already looking forward to the semi-formal (it's four days shy of my 23rd b-day)!
No problem. My birthday is soon after as well. :D

none of the programs they distribute will kill your computer. i still run a good ole 800MHz 256MB RAM desktop and i've had NO problems.

in all honesty you don't need a new computer/laptop unless you like to type your notes during class and/or you want/need to be on AIM or surfing the internet in the lecture hall.

the vast majority of the class does not own a laptop and we're just fine - the gross anatomy program is a collection of questions, not visual dissection guides or anything. there are programs available to purchase for that kind of thing, but they're not distributed by the course directors.

despite what everyone seems to think, you don't NEED to drop thousands of dollars on new computers, books, tools, etc. everyone's different, so just show up and see what you need personally.

lane said:
none of the programs they distribute will kill your computer. i still run a good ole 800MHz 256MB RAM desktop and i've had NO problems.

in all honesty you don't need a new computer/laptop unless you like to type your notes during class and/or you want/need to be on AIM or surfing the internet in the lecture hall.

the vast majority of the class does not own a laptop and we're just fine - the gross anatomy program is a collection of questions, not visual dissection guides or anything. there are programs available to purchase for that kind of thing, but they're not distributed by the course directors.

despite what everyone seems to think, you don't NEED to drop thousands of dollars on new computers, books, tools, etc. everyone's different, so just show up and see what you need personally.
Thanks for the note of sanity, lane. :thumbup:

Episode III was a good movie!! Lots of action and very nice visual/special effects :thumbup: :thumbup:

-tx

txguy said:
Episode III was a good movie!! Lots of action and very nice visual/special effects :thumbup: :thumbup:

-tx

Did you go last night at midnight? I didn't, but my sister did....I'm guessing that she won't be up until late this afternoon. She's a die-hard Star Wars fan in denial. I just like the romance b/w Hayden Christensen and Natalie Portman. My sis and I will probably go see it for her second time later on today or tonight! :p

txguy said:

-tx
You *must* have gone to the midnite showing. :laugh: I'll probably go see it this weekend. Looks good!

AD, welcome back to the Houston area.

Status
Not open for further replies.