UTHSCSA Class of 2009 part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
txguy said:
Always gotta make time for _____ + booze action! (put any activity in the blank :laugh: )

-tx

shaving sheep

Members don't see this ad.

G0S2 said:
Thats how you break it to em??? I figured there would be a bigger SDN announcement since you are a MOD.
Breaking what to whom? :confused:

Members don't see this ad :)
EvoDevo said:
Breaking what to whom? :confused:

The roommate thing. Just trying to be, albeit not so well, funny.

Same with the shaving sheep thing. I love Mad Libs. I mean, come on, shaving sheep and booze action!! That is funny until you realize there are certain parts in this country where that is Saturday night.

Well, I didn't think it needed a huge announcement. It's not like we're getting engaged or anything....
:scared:

Um......yeah, about the roommate thing.....

SheepLover said:
Same with the shaving sheep thing. I love Mad Libs. I mean, come on, shaving sheep and booze action!! That is funny until you realize there are certain parts in this country where that is Saturday night.

Oh, right. Dallas/Fort Worth,Los Angeles, and Massachussets, right? :smuggrin:

EvoDevo said:
Well, I didn't think it needed a huge announcement. It's not like we're getting engaged or anything....
:scared:

Um......yeah, about the roommate thing.....

Backwoods Hill Country.

EvoDevo said:

I'm doing it right now... :p I'm sure G0S2 is doing the same...

GO SPURS!!!!
I love Robert Horry :love:

On a separate note, I spoke with Santina at Carlyle today-She told me that there are about 15 first year med students moving in!

ladyybugg said:
GO SPURS!!!!

I second that!!!!!!
I love Glenn "Big Dawg" Robinson as well...I hope he wins a ring with us this year...

I can't even describe how big of a fan I am...I would watch USC football lose 10 games if it meant that the Spurs would win a championship...I'm going to do all the wrangling I can to make it to some playoff games when I get back...

Do you know how incredibly difficult it was to be a Spurs fan in Los Angeles last year?

ladyybugg said:
GO SPURS!!!!

On a separate note, I spoke with Santina at Carlyle today-She told me that there are about 15 first year med students moving in!

Doesn't he remind you of Will Smith?? (The Fresh Prince of Bellaire) :laugh:

Sounds like we're going to have fun next year!

USCTex said:
Do you know how incredibly difficult it was to be a Spurs fan in Los Angeles last year?

.4 seconds....that was bs last year!!

-tx

Hey there:

Anyone interested in doing our own sort of welcome weekend this summer? What I mean is, what if we have a get together in San Antonio (or somewhere else?). If we had enough people, maybe we could get some first years to show up (free food/booze) to tell us "how it's going to be."

What do y'all think? If yes, then what dates are good?

I'll also post this on the class forum page (uthscsa.lampshark.com).

EvoDevo said:
Hey there:

Anyone interested in doing our own sort of welcome weekend this summer? What I mean is, what if we have a get together in San Antonio (or somewhere else?). If we had enough people, maybe we could get some first years to show up (free food/booze) to tell us "how it's going to be."

Great idea. Pre orientation week? During or post? I would say, at least for me, maybe during the week before the White Coat?? July 17-22??

EvoDevo said:
Hey there:

I love the idea. Count me in!

I agree with G0S2--the week before orientation sounds perfect. We will probably all be in town by then, and most of us won't know anybody (we'll be very bored!).

EDIT: Most of us probably have family coming in on July 22nd or July 23rd, so July 17-21 sounds like a good time......

I wonder if lane or the administration could allow us to contact all MS0s or do you guys want to keep it SDN and word-of-mouth?

btw, happy cinco de mayo! :D

-tx

Members don't see this ad :)
Good idea on the dates, guys. Is there any interest in doing it earlier? Say in June? I'm just throwing that out there because I know we're all in the boring doldrums stage...waiting for things to start, etc. If not then the 17-21st sounds good.

As far as what we'd do, I don't want to replicate stuff that's going to be in the orientation week because, come on, that'd be boring. I'm thinking of either dinner out somewhere, or if it's late enough that we've moved in, then a BBQ at someone's place. I know that I have a pretty good-sized grill so I wouldn't mind hosting it (G0S?).

I'll contact Lane and see what kind of interest there is on that end.

I'm totally up for the unofficial welcome weekend! The 17-21 sounds great to me....I'm anxious to meet everyone (for some of you, a second time). I was actually thinking about something like that earlier today. I have a friend who is currently an MS1, so I could ask her if she'd be interested in "sharing" her first-year experiences with us. Eeeee! I'm so excited!

Guess what? I talked to Santina today and my apartment is set to go--I'm in #228, somewhere around the pool area =) Woohoo! One more week for me (well, 5.5 days) and then I'm going shopping for some new apartment stuff! So ready to chillax for a while....

EvoDevo said:
Good idea on the dates, guys. Is there any interest in doing it earlier? Say in June? I'm just throwing that out there because I know we're all in the boring doldrums stage...waiting for things to start, etc. If not then the 17-21st sounds good.

As far as what we'd do, I don't want to replicate stuff that's going to be in the orientation week because, come on, that'd be boring. I'm thinking of either dinner out somewhere, or if it's late enough that we've moved in, then a BBQ at someone's place. I know that I have a pretty good-sized grill so I wouldn't mind hosting it (G0S?).

I'll contact Lane and see what kind of interest there is on that end.

We can certainly host it and I think that July is better since we will all be there. There will be plenty of anticipation during July 17-21 and it will be good to feel like we are getting the process started in a very low stress casual atmosphere where we can ask the MS2's whatever we want. Too bad I just got rid of my Charbroil Big Easy.

Awesome. I can't wait!

I just sent Lane a PM asking if there are any MS1's who'd be willing to come and give talks. Let's see what happens. :)

AsianDoc! Sounds life fun! Where are you going? Ikea?

txguy said:
I wonder if lane or the administration could allow us to contact all MS0s or do you guys want to keep it SDN and word-of-mouth?

btw, happy cinco de mayo! :D

-tx
Yes! Happy Cinco de Mayo. I"m sure that there are some racous parties going on in SA today. :D Especially with it being so close to the weekend......

I'm going to see if the administration will allow us to contact the other MS0's and invite them/tell them about the class website. The last thing we need right now is to have the "SDN clique" solidified before school even starts. That wouldn't be cool. We wanna have as many people show up as possible. :D

EvoDevo said:
The last thing we need right now is to have the "SDN clique" solidified before school even starts. That wouldn't be cool. We wanna have as many people show up as possible. :D

Agreed. :laugh: :D

-tx

count me in too guys! I am always game for a party :)

Hey guys,

I just got a letter in the mail with info on orientation, white coat, parking and login stuff....I have email and access to inside.uthscsa.edu! :) (before you first login, you have to change your password...I had to call triage to help me :oops: )

Here is an email I received I thought SA folks might be interested in:

The Special Events Council is offering tickets to Round 2 of the San Antonio Spurs Playoffs.

Tickets will be sold on Friday, May 6, 12-1 PM, on a first come first serve basis. Prices are $52 or $42.

All locations are balcony level. Credit cards only. Game 1 will be on Sunday, May 8 (time not known).

Game 2 tickets are also available (date and time not known).

Please contact [deleted contact info], for additional information.

Also, guys, don't forget you have to send all transcripts to the registrar's office before you can register (there's a hold on our acct until we do :scared: ). Apparently, TMDSAS keeps all of our transcripts for themselves! :mad:

cya,

-tx

Hi Everyone,

I've been on SDN for a very long time, but not very many posts. First I wanted to say hello to my fellow classmates next year. I am truly looking forward to meeting all of you. I'm coming from UT Dallas.

Second, I had a question. I took a film class this semester which took me by complete surprise... the amount of presumed knowledge, types of projects, etc.. It was completely out of my realm. I got a D in that class!! So finally, after 4 years of undergrad with A's and B's, I broke the seal not with a C, but a whole D-!

I was wondering, if anybody knew, whether or not this is going to adversely affect my status at UTHSC SA. I know we need at least a C in our pre-req's which is not a problem at all. But a D in an elective... hmm..

Thanks.

Masoud

Oh My! Rocket's up by 13 with <4 minutes to go. And did you SEE that rejection??!! :laugh: :horns:

Masoud309 said:
Hi Everyone,

I've been on SDN for a very long time, but not very many posts. First I wanted to say hello to my fellow classmates next year. I am truly looking forward to meeting all of you. I'm coming from UT Dallas.

Second, I had a question. I took a film class this semester which took me by complete surprise... the amount of presumed knowledge, types of projects, etc.. It was completely out of my realm. I got a D in that class!! So finally, after 4 years of undergrad with A's and B's, I broke the seal not with a C, but a whole D-!

I was wondering, if anybody knew, whether or not this is going to adversely affect my status at UTHSC SA. I know we need at least a C in our pre-req's which is not a problem at all. But a D in an elective... hmm..

Thanks.

Masoud
Hey Masoud, welcome to the thread! :)

I actually don't think it'll be a problem, but why don't you call the school and find out??

And the Rockets have it! GOOOOOOOO ROCKETS! :) :luck: :p

Masoud309 said:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks.

Masoud

I would be stunned if that was a problem....I don't believe anything short of not getting your degree or having all the pre-reqs will affect your admission status.

p.s.
You should've called me. J/K.

I think the self-made welcome week sounds like a great idea. If you need any extra hands to make calls to the admin or MS1s or whatever you just post it and I will be happy to help anyway I can.

God, Tracy has some some skills doesn't he...and the celtics...even with pierce getting ejected...that was a crazy turn of events. I love basketball :)

BTW,
Broadstone has an indoor basketball setup (sadly, one of the reasons I chose it) so, anyone who wants to play...I am (almost) always willing...

Masoud309 said:
Hi Everyone,

Thanks.

Masoud

Welcome to the thread, Masoud! I don't think it should be a problem either, as long as you passed (a D is passing, right?). But what do I know? I think you should contact the admissions office or possibly Dr. Jones himself just for peace of mind.

Rockets Fans: Haha.......good game fellas (for 3 quarters at least :oops: ).....on to game 7!! (trying to snag tickets as we speak!)

Everyone: I think we need everyone to post (lurkers included!) if you are interested in a "welcome weekend" get together....it might be a good idea to get an early headcount, no?

TGIF everyone :D

-tx

Thank you for the welcome guys. From what I have read so far in this thread and also the undergraduate schools from which we all come, our class is gonna be AWESOME!! If we all pour in what we've got, we can all do REALLY well on all the exams and what not. From the beginning, when I first went to SA to check things out, it was the cooperative and friendly atmosphere of the school and the students that got me hooked.

Masoud :thumbup:

I think a welcome weekend would be awesome! I'm moving into Broadstone on July 16th and will have absolutely nothing to do. I'll have to admit that I was a bit disappointed when I found out that we didn't have one. I can't wait to meet everyone!!!! Broadstone actually has a good set up as well.....just to throw in some ideas.

See ya'll in San Antone!

Hey guys! I am so excited to read all the posts about the welcome weekend! As a current student, I have to apologize on behalf of my class for not getting it together in time.....but if we were gonna do it, we wanted to do it right and just felt very rushed at the end! Our bad! :(

HOWEVER, with that said, I know a lot of us are very anxious to meet y'all and would love to tell you all about first year and answer any questions you may have! So, please invite us to the welcome weekend! :) Also, if anyone wants to come into town before school starts and wants to meet up with a current first year student...a ton of us are staying in San Antonio for the summer doing research/preceptorships, etc. and would love to meet with ya! Just something to keep in mind.....

I'm off to study (well, actually, watch basketball! The NBA playoffs are not good for my exam preparation!)

Kristin :)

drsaxon said:
I think a welcome weekend would be awesome! I'm moving into Broadstone on July 16th and will have absolutely nothing to do. I'll have to admit that I was a bit disappointed when I found out that we didn't have one. I can't wait to meet everyone!!!! Broadstone actually has a good set up as well.....just to throw in some ideas.

See ya'll in San Antone!

Another Broadstonite...It is a pretty nice get-up...I'm living at the back of the complex.
I'm pretty thrilled...I'm from San Antonio so I literally go home and move into Broadstone in 8 days. Wacky.

Hey guys!

Glad to see that there's interest in our own welcome weekend/day. I'll take on the task of setting it up, but does anyone wanna help? :D

Also, y'all head over to the class forum page (uthscsa.lampshark.com) and put your name down so I can start getting a head count.

w00t!

EvoDevo said:
Hey guys!

Glad to see that there's interest in our own welcome weekend/day. I'll take on the task of setting it up, but does anyone wanna help? :D

Also, y'all head over to the class forum page (uthscsa.lampshark.com) and put your name down so I can start getting a head count.

w00t!

I'm up for a welcome weekend as well - definitely in July, since I'll be in Mexico for the month of June :) I'm happy to help in whatever way I can. I said before that I'm moving into Broadstone on July 1, but it's looking more like the 3rd now. There is a room that can be rented out for parties at Broadstone that is pretty nice (I think it is $75 for one night with a $500 refundable deposit). There are computers, a flat screen TV, couches, and a full kitchen attached so that we could have food and everything; the indoor basketball court is attached as well. The only problem we might have would be (potentially) lack of space. I think other Broadstone people alluded to this option, too... even if we don't use it for the welcome weekend, it's great to remember it as an option for future events. Broadstone also has an outdoor BBQ pit that is for community use. If someone is brave enough to BBQ in that setting (that someone NOT being me ;) ), then we could consider that as well.

Have a great day, and good luck on finals! We're almost there!

I am a class of 2005 UTHSCSA student and I am moving north for residency. If anyone is interested in a larger house that is in a nice neighborhood about 10 minutes from school/hospital. Here is the link

Home

Hey guys!

I recently discovered this forum on SDN and have been browsing through posts too. I'm really excited to meet all of you in July! I'm graduating from UT Austin in May and hope to travel a bit before classes start. I'm going to be living at Broadstone Colonade...I'll probably move in on/around July 1st:)

I think the pre-welcome weekend get together is a great idea..count me in:)

I look forward to meeting everyone! :)
Myrna

MNsloopy said:
Hey guys!

I recently discovered this forum on SDN and have been browsing through posts too. I'm really excited to meet all of you in July! I'm graduating from UT Austin in May and hope to travel a bit before classes start. I'm going to be living at Broadstone Colonade...I'll probably move in on/around July 1st:)

Myrna

Welcome Myrna!!!

Time can't fly fast enough.

MNsloopy said:
Hey guys!

Myrna

Welcome to the thread! :D

So where do you plan on going this summer?

-tx

Possibly Disneyworld...I grew up in Cali (yes, I grew up in the "OC" ;) ) and went to Disneyland at least 2X a year, so I'm going through withdrawal now..hehe

I also might go to Montreal...all my relatives live up there, not to mention it's an AWESOME city. There is so much culture! I love it!

MNsloopy said:
Possibly Disneyworld...I grew up in Cali (yes, I grew up in the "OC" ;) ) and went to Disneyland at least 2X a year, so I'm going through withdrawal now..hehe

I also might go to Montreal...all my relatives live up there, not to mention it's an AWESOME city. There is so much culture! I love it!

I went to Disneyworld during spring break this year--it was really fun! :thumbup: :thumbup: :thumbup: I know you'll have a blast if you go.

-tx

Welcome to the thread, Myrna (sorry I'm late on the welcome)! Anyway, my parents used to take my sister and I to Disney Land/Disney World almost every year for a period of ~5 years! I used to love it and I'd also love to go back (lots of fond childhood memories). I think they'd think I was crazy if I proclaimed that I wanted to go back though. Hehe. Disney World is a little neater b/c they have Epcot, Animal Kingdom, and Universal Studios (I think that's what it's called). I also used to have Nationals for cheerleading in the Disney World area....check out a hotel called the "All-Star Sports Resort"--its a really cool hotel that's lavishly decorated with sports stuff (sounds guyish, but it's really cute). Anyway, I have some fond high school cheerleading memories there (yes, I was a cheerleader). Here's the link for the hotel:

All-Star Sports Resort

I am so pumped b/c I only have 2 more days until FREEDOM! WOOT! :D :thumbup: :p

Welcome to everyone and congrats on those about to be graduamated!!! w00t!

Time to have some intense fun, folks. :D :thumbup:

A cheerleader? How cool is that? :D

Let's take a poll and see what we have:

AsianDoc: Cheerleader
Evo: Football player, Marine

did anyone make the fiesta festivities?

AsianDoc816 said:
I am so pumped b/c I only have 2 more days until FREEDOM! WOOT! :D :thumbup: :p

Ditto. I'm done on Wednesday! :D

EvoDevo said:
A cheerleader? How cool is that? :D

Let's take a poll and see what we have:

AsianDoc: Cheerleader
Evo: Football player, Marine

txguy: exotic dancer

:laugh:

txguy said:
txguy: exotic dancer

:laugh:

Hehehe. ;) Do Asian male exotic dancers exist?

roja said:
did anyone make the fiesta festivities?

I went to the river parade. It was cool but kind of rainy.

by the way:

AggieGal: drill team, FFA, 4-H (I used to show turkeys)

So I haven't posted anything on here in awhile, but I was wondering if any of you all are facebook fans? I think facebook is the best thing ever and it could be a way for people to start putting names to faces.

Anyway, everyone should go see the movie "Crash". Yeah, I know a movie with Ludacris and a surprise appearance by Tony Danza sounds fishy, but it is a really good exploration of urban racial tension.

Add me as a friend!
http://utdallas.thefacebook.com/profile.php?id=44400040

Status
Not open for further replies.