UTHSCSA Class of 2009 part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G0S2 is speaking with a Thai accent.... ;) :D

Great idea, txguy! :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

To all current students, post grads, and possibly MS0's with info:

I just received my "First Aid USMLE Step 1" book and I was browsing through the books they list in the back, wondering which ones were the most useful (there are several "A" rated books in most categories). So I thought we could make a list of which books students found most helpful for Step 1. If we have time, I have heard that it is advisible to read these books as we study during our basic science years along with First Aid of course, so that we can maintain a USMLE "awareness" and use their study hints/mnemonics to supplement our understanding in our classes! (For example, during Microbiology, we could also use "Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple" alongside our class)

Anyway, here are the categories--I thought maybe you could also put comments in paranthesis as well, explaining a little about the pros/cons of the book: (I have added a couple books a 4th yr said were helpful)

-Anatomy-

-Biochem-
Lippincott's Harvey and Champe- it takes time to get through it, however, it should be used as a study guide during biochem. Students swear by this book for reviewing for the shelf exam.

-Histology-

-Physiology-
Board Review Series (2 different students recommended this)

-Neursciences-

-Behavioral Sciences-

-Micro/immunology-
Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple (I heard this book is "golden")

-Pharm-

-Path-
Board Review Series Path used with Robbins Review (question format and has pictures)

-Comprehensive-(i.e. Kaplan organ based, High Yield Systems based review, etc)
Has anyone heard anything about these comprehensive, systems-based books??

Thanks! And if there is a better way to collect/present this information or if I'm missing any categories, let me know :D (If you "quote" this post, then make sure you remove the beginning and ending quote tags to retain the bolded formatting!)

Members don't see this ad :)
txguy said:
To all current students, post grads, and possibly MS0's with info:

I just received my "First Aid USMLE Step 1" book and I was browsing through the books they list in the back, wondering which ones were the most useful (there are several "A" rated books in most categories). So I thought we could make a list of which books students found most helpful for Step 1. If we have time, I have heard that it is advisible to read these books as we study during our basic science years along with First Aid of course, so that we can maintain a USMLE "awareness" and use their study hints/mnemonics to supplement our understanding in our classes! (For example, during Microbiology, we could also use "Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple" alongside our class)

Anyway, here are the categories--I thought maybe you could also put comments in paranthesis as well, explaining a little about the pros/cons of the book: (I have added a couple books a 4th yr said were helpful)

-Anatomy-

-Biochem-
Lippincott's Harvey and Champe- it takes time to get through it, however, it should be used as a study guide during biochem. Students swear by this book for reviewing for the shelf exam.

-Histology-

-Physiology-

-Neursciences-

-Behavioral Sciences-

-Micro/immunology-

-Pharm-

-Path-
Board Review Series Path used with Robbins Review (question format and has pictures)

Thanks! And if there is a better way to collect/present this information or if I'm missing any categories, let me know :D (If you "quote" this post, then make sure you remove the beginning and ending quote tags to retain the bolded formatting!)
Hey, I have a better idea. Since the format of this thread is linear, it makes it difficult to find information. One has to search and stuff and things are hard to find. However, if we started some sort of yahoo! group (or if I set up some forum software on my server) then we could post this material there. What do you think? I can provide a link to that stuff in my sig so folks could find it.

Anyway, just an idea. What do you guys think?

Did you guys receive your orientation packets today? I DID =)

Yes, and I am done with both my presentation and my test....

AsianDoc816 said:

No! :mad:

What's in it?? :D

AsianDoc816 said:

I'm jealous! What's it say?

G0S2 said:
Oh sweet, does he have a sister??? Thai women are hot!!!!
I dunno. Why don't we ask if he has several sisters. :smuggrin:

[/pimp]

Wait a second! Don't you have a GF??? :eek:

EvoDevo said:
I dunno. Why don't we ask if he has several sisters. :smuggrin:

[/pimp]

Wait a second! Don't you have a GF??? :eek:

Yep, I do. Just having fun.

She is actually in Iraq right now. Works for the Dept of State.

G0S2 said:
Thai women are hot!!!!

LOL....this is true! And no I don't have any sisters! :laugh:

AsianDoc816 said:

Details, details! :D

-tx

Members don't see this ad :)
So I just spent alllll day in sa searching and searching for an apartment to live in... at times..it became hopeless and i was going to build a box to live in..but in the end..it got better!! so overall..i looked at 10 complexes.. Carlyle Place, Misson Ranch, Chapel Ridge, Stone Hollow, Stratford, Medical Center Apartment Homes, Promontory Pointe, Signature Ridge, The Vintage, and finally Broadstone Collonade... if anyone needs help in finding a place..i feel as if i know enough to be a realtor... prices..amenities..even crime rates!!.. everything!..haha..feel free to IM me whenever.. i'm happy to respond and help out.

IM: princessd0nna (a very very old sn...haha..hence "princess")

happy huntings future classmates.

ad0rkable said:
so overall..i looked at 10 complexes.. Carlyle Place, Misson Ranch, Chapel Ridge, Stone Hollow, Stratford, Medical Center Apartment Homes, Promontory Pointe, Signature Ridge, The Vintage, and finally Broadstone Collonade...

Yeah looking sucks...I spent half of spring break out in the field. I visited 7 complexes (surprisingly all of which are on your list) plus I spent two days house hunting but, after living in a frat house for three years, I couldn't deal with housemates...I need my own place...at least a year.

Which one did you like the best? Where you think you're going to be next year?

txguy said:
Details, details! :D

-tx

The following are included in the orientation packet:

--temporary parking permit
--workshop interest survey
--roommate card
--health insurance coverage information form
--UTHSCSA map
--student immunization record
--financial aid process information letter

Woohoo! =)

AsianDoc816 said:
The following are included in the orientation packet:

--temporary parking permit
--workshop interest survey
--roommate card
--health insurance coverage information form
--UTHSCSA map
--student immunization record
--financial aid process information letter

Woohoo! =)

Got mine in the mail today :)

Hey, on your "Financial Aid Process Information Letter" does it say "Residual funds are mailed to your home address.will occur according to the schedules below." and then not say anything below? :confused: :confused:

-tx

txguy said:
Got mine in the mail today :)

Hey, on your "Financial Aid Process Information Letter" does it say "Residual funds are mailed to your home address.will occur according to the schedules below." and then not say anything below? :confused: :confused:

-tx
i'll check that when i get home and let you know. Did you figure out how sign on? I guess I'll just have to break down and call Triage on Monday, I just figured they were going to be busy and irritable with all of us calling.

hey future doctors.....

just wanted to let all of you who are still hunting for a place to live that i've come across some really nice duplexes this week....i'm gonna be a third year student come July, and like many of y'all i lived in an apt. here in SA for my first two years, but have really been wanting something different....anyways, these places are BRAND NEW, still under construction, about 6 miles from campus/hospitals (a 15-20 min. commute), 2 bedroom, 2 bath, garage, ceramic tiled living/dining area....plus a really nice back yard (i can have a dog now!) the price is going to be just about exactly the same for a "nice" apt in this part of town.....$780 and the deposit of only $300.

i told the leasing agent that i'd pass along the info. just as a courtesy, plus i wouldn't mind having a fellow med student as a quiet neighbor.

if interested the leasing lady is Jeana Seale @ 210-473-9451 or you can get in touch with me if you have any questions (i took some pictures of the place today i'm about to download)

welcome to SA guys, y'all are gonna like it here!

kevin
210-696-5908

EvoDevo said:
Hey, I have a better idea. Since the format of this thread is linear, it makes it difficult to find information. One has to search and stuff and things are hard to find. However, if we started some sort of yahoo! group (or if I set up some forum software on my server) then we could post this material there. What do you think? I can provide a link to that stuff in my sig so folks could find it.

Anyway, just an idea. What do you guys think?

Sounds good! So how is it going to work? :confused:

Btw, I ordered the new Lippincott's Biochem (I'm taking biochem right now anyway, so I thought it coudln't hurt) and the Clinical Micro Make Ridiculously Simple (3rd ed.)....so I'll check them out and let you guys know!

-tx

txguy said:
To all current students, post grads, and possibly MS0's with info: (on Books)

I'll just toss in my $0.02 here. The first caveat to remember is that everyone learns differently. The key is to find the books and resources that fit your learning style and help you the most. If something isn't working or doesn't prepare you enough or is too much detail or not enough... ditch it , no matter what anyone elses "ratings" say. The second caveat is that in most of your classes, they will be giving you a "syllabus" and CDROMs that have most all the information they want you to know. Some are better organized and presented than others. For example, for anatomy, the syllabus is so well organized that all I needed was an atlas and I was good to go. For Microbiology, I thought the immunology syllabus could really use some work so I read the syllabus concepts in a Lange book which explained them much more clearly. Lastly, in medical school for some reason there is this pressure that you are somehow missing something if you don't have all the resources your friends have... hence the urge to buy lots of books which end up sitting collecting dust on the shelf. The key again is to find out what works for you and use it.

Here are my thoughts

-Anatomy-

For me, the syllabus, CDROM, Galen questions, library resources (they give you all this stuff), and a good atlas (that you buy) was all I needed. I prefer the Rohen's Color Atlas of Anatomy because it uses photographs which look much more like what you are seeing than the Netter drawings. You can also usually get a free Netter by signing up for AMSA (of course you have to pay the AMSA membership fee, but I thought it was a good deal) when you register, and your table will have a shared Netter.

-Biochem-

When I took biochem we didn't have to take the shelf test, so I just used the syllabus.

-Histology-

The Wheaters book they have in the bookstore is a good reference. I didn't use it but I had friends that liked it. I just used a histology atlas and concetrated on the syllabus. Every non-visual fact you need to know for exams is in this syllabus. Dr. King is a great teacher and makes his syllabus very comprehensive, and he also makes you know the syllabus well -- so that thing is going to be your histo Bible.

-Physiology-

I generally hate the BRS series. BRS physiology is an exception, however. It is fairly decent, although they are going to want you to know things in much more detail than BRS provides. It is a good USMLE review tool, but again, if things haven't changed, they are going to want you to buy some textbook(s). My advice is to make sure you also get any Q&A companion book and do the practice questions. For my class, physiology was the class that was structured the most like an undergraduate class you would have in college.

-Neursciences-

Syllabus and CD was all I needed. There is a different course director now so things may have changed.

-Behavioral Sciences-

Syllabus. For the sake of Pete don't get anything else.

-Micro/immunology-

-sigh- I really hate the "ridiculously simple" type stuff. If it works for you, great. But to me it just seems like so much "by dummies, for dummies" marketing crap. Get a real book like Lange's Microbiology and Immunology (the combined book). Any time you find yourself saying "what the heck are they talking about in this syllabus?" or "why are they comparing MHC proteins to hot dogs?" Go to Lange and find clear explanations with good diagrams. The Immuno people tried to get us to buy some books (which worked for some people... so no knocks) but the Lange had everything I needed.

The micro syllabi are generaly good, but the Lange helps here too. You will also cling for dear life to this little booklet called "The Integrator." It will be your best friend through the Micro part of the course and your best friend as you study for USMLE micro.

-Pharm-

Dr. Keaton is your resource here. His syllabus has everything you need. You might get a review book for the USMLE but most people didn't need one.

-Path-

They are going to make you buy big Robbins. It is a good book, with good pictures you will need to study but a lot of material. Make sure you get the Robbins Question book. I used big Robbins for reference and pics, baby Robbins for study, and the Robbins Q book for questions. I also used questions on a bunch of websites out there too.

The place where this comes in handy is in studying for Step I. I waffled between First Aid and Step Up. First Aid has lots of great factoids and is well presented, but Step-up was a little more comprehensive.

In second year, you will have a class called ICS which is basically a clinical pathophysiology/treatment course. The year went fine for me, but if I had it to do all over again, I would get a copy of Lange's Current Medical Diagnosis and Treatment and use it as an ICS/Clinical Pharm reference throughout the year. The syllabus they give you is great in parts and not so great in others. The CMDT book is a big fat reference (with an Index!) so you won't read it cover to cover, but it is great for looking up specific topics.

Anyway, that is what worked for me, so your mileage may vary. Good luck.

txguy said:
Sounds good! So how is it going to work? :confused:

Btw, I ordered the new Lippincott's Biochem (I'm taking biochem right now anyway, so I thought it coudln't hurt) and the Clinical Micro Make Ridiculously Simple (3rd ed.)....so I'll check them out and let you guys know!

-tx
Well, we could do a Yahoo! Group thing. But I wonder if everyone would be good with that?

FYI: the AMSA membership costs the same as a Netter's. they'll be in your face to get you to sign up as soon as you get to school, but you may want to check out some info on the organization to see whether it's right for you. either way you'll get a netter's for $60

Thanks for the reply Spiff! Great stuff :thumbup:

-tx

another FYI: i don't know how much emphasis to put on this, but do NOT get Megalife insurance. either get on your parents' policy or spend a few more bucks with another company.

:)

EvoDevo said:
Well, we could do a Yahoo! Group thing. But I wonder if everyone would be good with that?
we have a yahoo! group set up for our class - you may as well set yours up and then advertise it when you get to school so everyone can join. we also have our unofficial listserve through the group since the deans don't like us to use the school listserve for non-academic matters

lane said:
another FYI: i don't know how much emphasis to put on this, but do NOT get Megalife insurance. either get on your parents' policy or spend a few more bucks with another company. :)

I totally agree here. The Mega Life insurance policy seems like it was designed to be a supplemental policy for UT undergrads who still have some coverage under their parents' policy. Their list of terms, conditions, and exclusions is extensive. Mega basically personifies the big, faceless, monolithic company whose greatest desire is to turn you upside down and shake you vigorously to see how much money falls out. All of the people I know who have filed a significant claim with Mega who have had to fight tooth and nail to keep their claim from being denied. Injured during an intramural sport? Too bad. Newly discovered congenital problem that needs correcting? You are out of luck. Keep in mind that if you don't have some other insurance company lined up the school willl automatically default you (and bill you) into Mega Life. As far as I know the Mega fee is not refundable so get something set up beforehand.

If you are single, lanes advice is good. If you are married and/or have a family, make sure to go to the couples workshops and talk to some of the other married people.

Also, sorry I wasn't more detailed with the AMSA stuff. I thought it was a pretty good deal. In addition to the Netters, you get some free pizza lunches, some free histo test reviews that everyone else has to pay for (they aren't super great but scads of your OC classmates will pay for them anyway), a magazine that works good for paper mache projects, and occasional rate deals on rental cars and hotels. The political activism side of AMSA tends to be left of center and is sometimes annoying, but membership doesn't actually require you to do anything.

Do you have suggestions for alternatives to MegaLife?

lane said:
another FYI: i don't know how much emphasis to put on this, but do NOT get Megalife insurance. either get on your parents' policy or spend a few more bucks with another company.

:)

Man, I HATED Mega Life... they were like "aww, you got *decapitated*? Too d@mn bad!"

*sniff*

NIOSA.....

*sob*

Hey Everyone!!!
I just got back from San Antonio! I looked at 4 complexes- Carlyle, Whispering Creek, Broadstone, and Med Center Apt. It was a tough choice between whispering creek and Carlyle (I got really creepy vibes from Broadstone) and decided on Carlyle (I liked that they were more homey and were willing to work with me in getting my stuff shipped to them prior to move in as i am coming from CA). Yay!!! I'm so excited!!! I also stopped by the administration offices at UTHSCSA and they told me the following-
1. They sent out the registration packets (some of you have received them already)
2. The financial aid lady told me that this year they are running more behind than usual so don't expect anything till the end of month (she told me that she didn't have any information at this time)
3. Expect a letter from Dr. Clare regarding the new curriculum shortly
4. We should be getting another packet of info as well as the one sent out last week
5. New course catalog is at the printers
6. The Parking office said that they won't even receive any student list till mid June- "So there is nothing an MS0 can do to get his or her name on a wait list untill then"

Fun Fun Fun at Carlyle!

ladyybugg said:
Hey Everyone!!!
I just got back from San Antonio! I looked at 4 complexes- Carlyle, Whispering Creek, Broadstone, and Med Center Apt. It was a tough choice between whispering creek and Carlyle (I got really creepy vibes from Broadstone) and decided on Carlyle (I liked that they were more homey and were willing to work with me in getting my stuff shipped to them prior to move in as i am coming from CA). Yay!!! I'm so excited!!! I also stopped by the administration offices at UTHSCSA and they told me the following-
1. They sent out the registration packets (some of you have received them already)
2. The financial aid lady told me that this year they are running more behind than usual so don't expect anything till the end of month (she told me that she didn't have any information at this time)
4. We should be getting another packet of info as well as the one sent out last week
6. The Parking office said that they won't even receive any student list till mid June- "So there is nothing an MS0 can do to get his or her name on a wait list untill then"

Fun Fun Fun at Carlyle!

Great info!! :thumbup: And welcome to Carlyle :D

EvoDevo said:
Hey guys!

I set up a forum for our class @ http://uthscsa.lampshark.com/. This is my server, so if you have any ideas for how things should be set up and/or added, let me know!

Evo

Checkin it out as we speak....I think this is an excellent way to organize everything!

-tx

ladyybugg said:
Hey Everyone!!!

Fun Fun Fun at Carlyle!

Woohoo! I have a female companion to live at Carlyle with (all the rest of the Carlyle peeps are guys)! This is gonna be so much fun! Also, thanks for all of the info.--I'm glad that we'll be learning about our curriculum shortly =)

This is kinda random, but I am getting my braces off tomorrow morning! :D <---thats what I hope I will look like

So at least patients at the clinic/hospital won't think I'm some High School volunteer :laugh:

-tx

txguy said:
This is kinda random, but I am getting my braces off tomorrow morning! :D <---thats what I hope I will look like

So at least patients at the clinic/hospital won't think I'm some High School volunteer :laugh:

-tx

Never had braces, but I still look like I'm 15 =(

....I seriously hope that this won't be detrimental to my relationships with patients!

It seems like everyone hates megalife. Any examples of reasonable claims denied? Does anyone know if there any better alternatives for individuals who can't fall under their parent's insurance?

AsianDoc816 said:
Eh, I didn't get that impression, AD. I wouldn't worry about it. ;)

EvoDevo said:
Eh, I didn't get that impression, AD. I wouldn't worry about it. ;)

Well, that's good to hear....maybe I looked older cuz it was kinda dark in the restaurant :D

It's icky and gloomy here in Austin....don't ya just hate April showers?

AsianDoc816 said:

I was thinking 16 when I met you at the UT-Houston social :laugh: Just kidding :D

-tx

txguy said:
I was thinking 16 when I met you at the UT-Houston social :laugh: Just kidding :D

-tx

You're one to talk, tx! Hehe, j/k. So, how does it feel to have your braces off? :D

USCTex said:
Yeah looking sucks...I spent half of spring break out in the field. I visited 7 complexes (surprisingly all of which are on your list) plus I spent two days house hunting but, after living in a frat house for three years, I couldn't deal with housemates...I need my own place...at least a year.

Which one did you like the best? Where you think you're going to be next year?

Broadstone was my last place to visit, and I signed within 5 minutes within being on property...maybe i smelled too many chemicals from the pretty pool..haha..but the other places weren't as appealing...plus ..I just heard two ppl from my school are also going to be there.. so the more the merrier.. and we can carpool! I live with 5 other girls now, but I like having people around...maybe I'll get a dog to replace everyone...

ad0rkable said:
Broadstone was my last place to visit, and I signed within 5 minutes within being on property...maybe i smelled too many chemicals from the pretty pool..haha..but the other places weren't as appealing...plus ..I just heard two ppl from my school are also going to be there.. so the more the merrier.. and we can carpool! I live with 5 other girls now, but I like having people around...maybe I'll get a dog to replace everyone...

A carpool would defintley be a good idea.

On a serious note has anyone heard or visited Hampton Cove. If you have please let me know. There's an outgoing fourth year moving out who says he absolutley loved the place plus it was a lot cheaper than Broadstone...according to him. The website makes it look good: http://www.hamptoncove.net/

ad0rkable said:

YAY! Another friend at Broadstone! :D I'm totally in favor of the carpooling - it'll also provide incentive to get out the door on time in the mornings.

When are you moving in? I'll be there on July 1.

AsianDoc816 said:
You're one to talk, tx! Hehe, j/k. So, how does it feel to have your braces off?

Hahaha....that would be funny if we rounded together during 3rd year....I bet they would really give us a hard time :)

Anyway, I feel fantastic with my braces off! I keep licking my teeth--its so slippery lol

-tx

Well besides the management and small community, I liked the fact that an actual Washer and Dryer came with the apartment at Carlyle (The Vintage said renting them could add $30-$40 to your monthly bill!)....I don't want to rent/buy these on my own and have them lugged into my apartment....and I certainly don't want to relive the community laundromat situation I had at Dobie (dorms at UT Austin).....

Hope everyone is doing well....I am anxiously awaiting more information on our curriculum! :thumbup:

-tx

Carpooling is good, but how about everyone getting scooters!
We wouldn't have to pay the high parking charges at the lot- and the motorcycles get to park closer than the cars to the school.
silverstella.jpg

Hey guys- you may already know this but the info on the registration packet is wrong. We cannot login to the website yet, we don't have accounts. To get financial aid info you have to call the office 210-567-2635. They said packets will be sent the end of this week or late next week.

Status
Not open for further replies.