UTHSCSA Class of 2009 part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
AggieGal said:
Hey guys- you may already know this but the info on the registration packet is wrong. We cannot login to the website yet, we don't have accounts. To get financial aid info you have to call the office 210-567-2635. They said packets will be sent the end of this week or late next week.
Thanks for finding that out, AG. :) I've been swamped this week and had forgotten about that. :thumbup:

Members don't see this ad.

EvoDevo said:
Thanks for finding that out, AG. :) I've been swamped this week and had forgotten about that. :thumbup:

That's what I am here for :)

eartoocean said:
Carpooling is good, but how about everyone getting scooters!
We wouldn't have to pay the high parking charges at the lot- and the motorcycles get to park closer than the cars to the school.
silverstella.jpg

Like that dude on Scrubs! :thumbup: :laugh:

AggieGal said:
Hey guys- you may already know this but the info on the registration packet is wrong. We cannot login to the website yet, we don't have accounts. To get financial aid info you have to call the office 210-567-2635. They said packets will be sent the end of this week or late next week.

No wonder! I called that triage number and they couldn't help me...thanks for the info!

So are you having fun at work? :)

-tx

Members don't see this ad :)
[/QUOTE]No wonder! I called that triage number and they couldn't help me...thanks for the info!

So are you having fun at work? :)

-tx[/QUOTE]

blah..work stinks! I can't wait until it gets warmer and then I can least look forward to going home and swimming. Did I tell you I have to dress up every day??

txguy said:
Well besides the management and small community, I liked the fact that an actual Washer and Dryer came with the apartment at Carlyle (The Vintage said renting them could add $30-$40 to your monthly bill!)....I don't want to rent/buy these on my own and have them lugged into my apartment....and I certainly don't want to relive the community laundromat situation I had at Dobie (dorms at UT Austin).....

Hope everyone is doing well....I am anxiously awaiting more information on our curriculum! :thumbup:

-tx

I'll second that one! I'm paying right now to rent my W/D and I think that's completely absurd! I mean, come on! I hate it when the apartment complex is like, "We provide the W/D extensions, but not the washer and dryer themselves." Anyway, I lived at Dobie too, txguy! Floor 9, room 904....I had some good times in that dorm room! Anyway, I didn't think that the W/Ds were that big of a problem at Dobie. When I lived at the Goodall Wooten (across from Dobie), I had to lug my clothes from floor 7 to the creepy basement that always smelled mildewy =( My bf has it even worse....he uses a common laundromat facility at his apartment complex and has to lug laundry past the pool and back (plus the quarter thing kinda stinks....you can never have enough quarters). Anyway, b/c I'm a good and sympathetic gf, I usually do some of his laundry for him =)

Okay, that was a quite a tangent, but I have strong feelings about the laundry convenience thing too!

AggieGal said:
blah..work stinks! I can't wait until it gets warmer and then I can least look forward to going home and swimming. Did I tell you I have to dress up every day??

Don't worry, AG, it will soon be over....and yes, dressing up every day would be a pain, especially if you have to wear heels!

txguy said:
Nice!

Yep, the second digit indicates what floor you are on.......I am in #824 (2nd floor for me!).....I'm also in that group of buildings in the "middle" and sorta behind the pool.....we will probably be a stone's throw away :oops: I can see myself borrowing notes from one of y'all in case I "miss" a class or fall asleep :smuggrin:

-tx

i've been reading back pages of this thread and i just noticed your post, txguy... you are actually going to be my neighbor... not that i ever see any of them very often anyway... :laugh: i just met the girl who lives in your future apt a few wks ago and learned that my neighbor on the side was actually one of our anatomy TAs as well as the 4th year class pres i believe... but looking forward to meeting ya!

AsianDoc816 said:
I'll second that one! I'm paying right now to rent my W/D and I think that's completely absurd! I mean, come on! I hate it when the apartment complex is like, "We provide the W/D extensions, but not the washer and dryer themselves." Anyway, I lived at Dobie too, txguy! Floor 9, room 904....I had some good times in that dorm room! Anyway, I didn't think that the W/Ds were that big of a problem at Dobie. When I lived at the Goodall Wooten (across from Dobie), I had to lug my clothes from floor 7 to the creepy basement that always smelled mildewy =( My bf has it even worse....he uses a common laundromat facility at his apartment complex and has to lug laundry past the pool and back (plus the quarter thing kinda stinks....you can never have enough quarters). Anyway, b/c I'm a good and sympathetic gf, I usually do some of his laundry for him =)

Okay, that was a quite a tangent, but I have strong feelings about the laundry convenience thing too!

Did you do the "quarter trick" at Dobie? :laugh:

I guess Dobie wasn't sooo bad....but it was a little annoying when someone would take my clothes out of the dryer for me. :oops: I heard clothes at Jester sometimes got stolen from their community laundry room!

lilstina said:
i've been reading back pages of this thread and i just noticed your post, txguy... you are actually going to be my neighbor... not that i ever see any of them very often anyway... :laugh: i just met the girl who lives in your future apt a few wks ago and learned that my neighbor on the side was actually one of our anatomy TAs as well as the 4th year class pres i believe... but looking forward to meeting ya!

Are you able to study at home? I promise I won't be loud! :laugh: Hmmm, I wonder if I met you at the night before social in San Antonio? That's where I first met lane :thumbup:

Here's a question for current students: Are any of the workshops during orientation week worth attending? Here are the workshops I was thinking of attending:

"Social Life in San Antonio"
"Non-science Majors"
"Coming Back to School with Life Experience"

-tx

lilstina said:
hilton :oops: his little brother is going to be an MS1 next year

txguy said:
Did you do the "quarter trick" at Dobie? :laugh:

I guess Dobie wasn't sooo bad....but it was a little annoying when someone would take my clothes out of the dryer for me. :oops: I heard clothes at Jester sometimes got stolen from their community laundry room!

-tx

Errr, I didn't know about the quarter trick! :confused: But yah, Dobie wasn't bad, but it wasn't worth the money I was paying either....

Hey Guys,

I just want to make sure that UTHSCSA doesn't require a deposit prior to the May 15 "one school" deadline. They don't require one, right?
Thanks

OK Just a small gripe- today is the Battle of Flowers parade and everyone in the city is off work EXCEPT for my office! Bleh to penny-pinching lawyers!!

ladyybugg said:
Hey Guys,

I just want to make sure that UTHSCSA doesn't require a deposit prior to the May 15 "one school" deadline. They don't require one, right?
Thanks

I don't think there is a deposit....I made photocopies of everything I received and there is no mention of a deposit like the AMCAS schools.....maybe you could check with UTHSCSA to be sure? :oops:

AggieGal said:
OK Just a small gripe- today is the Battle of Flowers parade and everyone in the city is off work EXCEPT for my office! Bleh to penny-pinching lawyers!!

That sucks! #$@%^ lawyers! If it makes you feel any better, I've skipped class for the past 3 days :D :D

-tx

Members don't see this ad :)
AggieGal said:
:( That blows. St00pid lawyers. At least it's Friday, right?

What's the Battle of Flowers parade?

txguy said:
If it makes you feel any better, I've skipped class for the past 3 days :D :D
Ahhh, I see that you have a fine, fine work ethic, my friend...... :laugh: ;)

AG--Sorry about the lack of a holiday for you!

txguy--Way to give in to senioritis!

As for me, I have TWO WEEKS LEFT (plus finals) and I'm so ready to turn in my chips! I am ESPECIALLY tired of going into the lab--its monotonous work that's unpaid and unworthy of my time! Anyway, in line with Evo, TGIF!!! :thumbup:

EvoDevo said:
:( That blows. St00pid lawyers. At least it's Friday, right?

What's the Battle of Flowers parade?

Battle of Flowers= Fiesta parade and excuse for the entire town to party for a full day.

But on the other note, yes it IS Friday! WooHoo for that :)

AggieGal said:
Battle of Flowers= Fiesta parade and excuse for the entire town to party for a full day.

But on the other note, yes it IS Friday! WooHoo for that :)

Somehow, battling and flowers did not compute! :laugh:

TGIF for sure :thumbup: :thumbup:

AsianDoc816 said:
txguy--Way to give in to senioritis!

You should join in the fun!

Anyway, I hope everyone has a good weekend....I'll be at the Mavs/Rockets playoff game tomorrow! Should I bring an SDN sign? :idea:

-tx

txguy said:
Anyway, I hope everyone has a good weekend....I'll be at the Mavs/Rockets playoff game tomorrow! Should I bring an SDN sign? :idea:

-tx

Lucky!

Is anyone interested in sharing an apt @ Carlyle? I'm looking at the student budget and it occurs to me that cutting even more out of my COL budget might make me a happy camper. :D Anyone? Bueller?

I have a cute dog!

4kw45i

EvoDevo said:
Is anyone interested in sharing an apt @ Carlyle? I'm looking at the student budget and it occurs to me that cutting even more out of my COL budget might make me a happy camper. :D Anyone? Bueller?

I have a cute dog!

4kw45i

He's so cute!!! What's his name?

Man, I have wanted a dog for a long time....a yellow dog of some sort. But I don't think I'd be able to take care of him....peeps that have dogs, how do you find time to walk them everyday??? A dog would especially help with my anticipated boyfriend separation anxiety....

AsianDoc816 said:
He's so cute!!! What's his name?
His name is Merlin (Merlito, Merlito-mou, "Hey You!") and he's about six years old. It's amazing how quickly time flies!

AsianDoc816 said:
Man, I have wanted a dog for a long time....a yellow dog of some sort. But I don't think I'd be able to take care of him....peeps that have dogs, how do you find time to walk them everyday??? A dog would especially help with my anticipated boyfriend separation anxiety....
Well, you just make it part of your routine. Fer example, in the morning I set the coffee pot going, put on my shoes, and take him for a quickie walks. Evenings we go a couple of hours before bed. It's relaxing and good for time away from the annoyances of life. He even makes a great study break, you know?

Anyhoo, you're welcome to come by and borrow him whenever. He's really sweet and loves people. :thumbup:

Any current students or even my fellow '09 classmates taught at a test prep center (Kaplan, Princeton Review)?

I'm really looking for a job in about a month back in SA. Anyway, Kaplan really helped me with the MCAT and it just seems like a really interesting thing to do, help others get into grad school (plus the way I understand it, the hourly wage is pretty good)...

Anyway, anyone who has any knowledge on this...please post any advice...

Hi there...Kristin from c/o '08 here! I teach (well, unfortunately not currently) for Princeton Review here in town. As far as I know, they have classes starting beginning of May and beginning of June. Training is pretty painless...they actually flew me to Arizona to get trained for O-chem! :) (Pretty sweet, huh?!) The hourly wage is very, very good and it's an incredibly rewarding job. I am not sure if they have any spots open for teaching this summer, but you can contact James (Assistant Director) at the San Antonio office at (210) 824-8378!

Let me know if you have any questions or if I can help in anyway!

Kristin

I got my Financial Aid Award Offer in the mail!

$1500 TPEG! :D But what happened to the Perkins?? :confused:

Which lender are you guys going to use? :confused:

-tx

txguy said:
I got my Financial Aid Award Offer in the mail!

$1500 TPEG! :D But what happened to the Perkins?? :confused:

Which lender are you guys going to use? :confused:

-tx
Hey Tx,
I got $1500 TPEG as well...but what is TPEG??

ladyybugg said:
Hey Tx,
I got $1500 TPEG as well...but what is TPEG??

Its a grant (basically free money!).....I think it stands for "Texas Public Education Grant" but I am not sure.....

So from reading posts in the Financial Aid forum it looks like the best lenders are the ones that have no fees (i.e. origination and guarantee). The lenders that only have repayment incentives are not as desirable because most students consolidate their loans later and might forfeit any of these repayment bonuses!

-tx

Try to do some research on loans too. Total Higher Education looks pretty decent. Does anyone have preference for others?

Does anyone know the exact days of our orientation. I'm in the process of applying for a summer job and need to know, but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere. Did I just overlook it?

drsaxon said:
Does anyone know the exact days of our orientation. I'm in the process of applying for a summer job and need to know, but I haven't seen it mentioned anywhere. Did I just overlook it?

July 24-White Coat Ceremony

July 25-Registration/Orientation week begins

Aug 1- Classes start.

drsaxon said:

It should all be in the orientation packet that UTHSCSA mailed out a couple of weeks ago....everbuddy take note that vaccinations must be turned in 30 days before orientation....so that's June 25!

AsianDoc816 said:
It should all be in the orientation packet that UTHSCSA mailed out a couple of weeks ago....everbuddy take note that vaccinations must be turned in 30 days before orientation....so that's June 25!

Mine got forwarded from home and lost in the mail :(
I called today to make sure they had already mailed me a new one.

Did anybody receive any Perkins loan?? :confused:

-tx

I don't have my fin aid letter either :( For some this may be personal but did anyone here not have an EFC that was $0.

I heard from previous years that the majority of students had EFCs of $0, and except maybe the kids who got stuff filled out towards the deadline, basically most of them got virtually identical aid packages. That might be wrong but it seems to make sense.

USCTex said:
I don't have my fin aid letter either :( For some this may be personal but did anyone here not have an EFC that was $0.

I heard from previous years that the majority of students had EFCs of $0, and except maybe the kids who got stuff filled out towards the deadline, basically most of them got virtually identical aid packages. That might be wrong but it seems to make sense.
I haven't received mine either man. Don't worry. It'll be here in good time. :) And my EFC was $4700.

txguy said:
Did anybody receive any Perkins loan?? :confused:

-tx

Hi Txguy,

I'm a first year here at UTHSCSA. The school didn't give out Perkins loans until maybe September this year becuase apparantly the Federal Gov't was slow in sending the money. Don't worry, it will come if you have been offered one. Also if you weren't (and I wasn't initially but had indicated I was interested), they might offer you it later. It's essentially another subsidized loan which is always better than an unsubsidized. I think what happened is that I had been offered $X in unsubsidized loans and I reduced the amount taken once I was told I would be given a Perkins loans. You can always return money back that you won't need.

~Abbiequeen :)

[musings]

Anyone else feeling the pre-school blahs? I feel as if I'm in Limbo....Neither here nor there. I find that I'm obssessively interested in anything non-medical in nature. I can't stand watching medical shows (except for Scrubs) and I don't want to hear about life in first year. I'm not interested a lick in work, except that I have a strong work ethic and sense of pride. So true slacking is out, but so is really caring about my research, which is a weird feeling.

I dunno. I worked so hard to get to this point and now all I feel is "meh." Maybe once I leave Houston and move out then it'll all start to feel real.

[/musings]

EvoDevo said:
[musings]

Anyone else feeling the pre-school blahs? I feel as if I'm in Limbo....Neither here nor there. I find that I'm obssessively interested in anything non-medical in nature. I can't stand watching medical shows (except for Scrubs) and I don't want to hear about life in first year. I'm not interested a lick in work, except that I have a strong work ethic and sense of pride. So true slacking is out, but so is really caring about my research, which is a weird feeling.

I dunno. I worked so hard to get to this point and now all I feel is "meh." Maybe once I leave Houston and move out then it'll all start to feel real.

[/musings]

Amen brother!! It's a bit of an anticlimatic feeling. You want to get in so bad and then when you do its like "crap, there is a lot of work to do!!" I am all for learning, but the rigors of constant examination can be tiring. I attended the White Coat last year at UTHSCSA and one doc said something very important. He wanted every MS1 to write the top 5 reasons that they are entering medicine on to an index card and have it on them at all times as a constant source of motivation. It sounds a bit corny but I am going to do that. There are going to be many days, and many early mornings (3-5am) where some of us will wonder what the hell we are doing with our lives. I have my sources of inspiration that carry me on, however, I cannot wait for the day where I can just practice medicine.

wow this thread died...

well, kiddos, i have some news :oops: i was offered a spot in a 3200 sq ft house with 2 classmates for a VERY good price and it was too good to pass up. i won't be staying at carlyle next year :( however, i have absolutely NOTHING but good things to say about the complex and i would still be chillin in apt 635 if this perfect situation hadn't fallen into my lap when it did. i still know the gate code, though, so i'll still be by to chill by the pool and party with the MS1s.

to those who listed me as a referral, however, i will still make it worth your while ;) i won't be collecting any $$ from the complex, but a promise is a promise and i'll make good on it.

also, we've simply run out of time for the welcome weekend. we're going to try to mail something out within the next week with info on various stuff. if you'd like to come to SA for a weekend and you need a place to stay we'll do our best to house you so you can save some $$$ on hotel rooms and such.

lane said:
wow this thread died...

well, kiddos, i have some news :oops: i was offered a spot in a 3200 sq ft house with 2 classmates for a VERY good price and it was too good to pass up. i won't be staying at carlyle next year :( however, i have absolutely NOTHING but good things to say about the complex and i would still be chillin in apt 635 if this perfect situation hadn't fallen into my lap when it did. i still know the gate code, though, so i'll still be by to chill by the pool and party with the MS1s.

to those who listed me as a referral, however, i will still make it worth your while ;) i won't be collecting any $$ from the complex, but a promise is a promise and i'll make good on it.

also, we've simply run out of time for the welcome weekend. we're going to try to mail something out within the next week with info on various stuff. if you'd like to come to SA for a weekend and you need a place to stay we'll do our best to house you so you can save some $$$ on hotel rooms and such.

That sucks Lane, however, we all understand, I am sure. $$ is tight in med school so you are making a good choice. It would have been nice to say that I live next to the Prez.

Are we going to have the opportunity to purchase some cool Class of 2009 T-shirts??

G0S2 said:
That sucks Lane, however, we all understand, I am sure. $$ is tight in med school so you are making a good choice. It would have been nice to say that I live next to the Prez.

Are we going to have the opportunity to purchase some cool Class of 2009 T-shirts??
we'll be sending out order forms for shirts, study CDs, etc. over the summer (hopefully soon)

lane said:
wow this thread died...

This bites, Lane!!! - Although I do wish you the best at your new place. All of us Carlyle will just have to have fun without you :laugh:

lane said:
wow this thread died...

First, that is unfortunate concerning welcome weekend but understandable...hopefully the school administration will throw its resources behind it come next year...it seems a burden to put it on over extended first year kids...

The real trouble is UTHSCSA doesn't percieve, like Southwestern does, that is competing with any private or out of state schools and so there is no incentive to throw "welcome weekends" and such to try to intice accepted students to marticulate. This is a defeinitive argument for Texas going away from a "match" and Texas residents being able to view acceptances from multiple schools...in this scenario UTHSCSA would almost certainly have a welcome weekend and put considerable effort in recruiting accepted students for marticulation as it would be "competing" with every other school in Texas.

Second, Lane, I met a friend of yours...I was playing beer pong tonight with a girl named Wendy, from Austin, out here at USC who is in ADPi...I was wearing a Texas Medicine shirt and she, without prompting, claimed to know you...she then proceded to claim that you would've gotten into a "better" medical school had you not been playing varsity baseball...she had of course been drinking significantly...but still, ouch for me...

EvoDevo said:
[musings]

[/musings]

Its called "Senioritis". The cure is lots of shinerbock, laying by the pool adn if you can swing it, sex.

You'll get into the swing of things when you start, trust me... :D

USCTex said:
First, that is unfortunate concerning welcome weekend but understandable...hopefully the school administration will throw its resources behind it come next year...it seems a burden to put it on over extended first year kids...

The real trouble is UTHSCSA doesn't percieve, like Southwestern does, that is competing with any private or out of state schools and so there is no incentive to throw "welcome weekends" and such to try to intice accepted students to marticulate. This is a defeinitive argument for Texas going away from a "match" and Texas residents being able to view acceptances from multiple schools...in this scenario UTHSCSA would almost certainly have a welcome weekend and put considerable effort in recruiting accepted students for marticulation as it would be "competing" with every other school in Texas.
Yeah, I'm really disappointed about this. I don't understand why it's something that the current M1 class has to do en toto. It seems like a better plan would be to have the administration take care of the logistics while the current class deals with specific topics, themes, etc.

It would have been nice.

roja said:
Its called "Senioritis". The cure is lots of shinerbock, laying by the pool adn if you can swing it, sex.

You'll get into the swing of things when you start, trust me... :D
:idea:

So nice to have you back, hon. :love:

EvoDevo said:
[musings]

[/musings]

Yes, I completely feel ya there....It's only 1.5 more weeks for me before I get to play all day though. I am so happy b/c one of my finals was made "optional" by my professor....stroke of luck/saving grace or what? So now all I have is one Psychopharmacology final to study for. Oh, and I finally turned in my 15-page paper for my Emotion seminar class--phew!

That really bites about not having a welcome weekend. I have to agree with USCTex that I think it's due to a lack of competition with other schools. Did Southwestern just have a second-look weekend or a welcome weekend as well? I could tell at my interview that UTSW was all about marketing....I felt like they were trying to sell me a product or something. Nonetheless, it felt kinda good at the time....

Status
Not open for further replies.