UTHSCSA Class of 2009 part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
lane said:
i've never had to wait more than 30 seconds to make a turn on babcock - the only weird thing about the intersection, though, is that you can't turn left directly out of the complex. you turn right, go about 100 feet, then flip a U-turn to go south. again, i've never had any problems with traffic.

i've also never had any safety issues with the complex. i actually sleep a lot of nights with the doors unlocked (oops) but i don't feel like i HAVE to padlock it or anything (unlike the place i lived in college).

and for the record, my travel time from my front door in the morning to the lecture hall door is 7 minutes :D

I was notified that I will be in Apt #632. Have any idea where that is???

Members don't see this ad.

G0S2 said:

That apt is in the building behind the pool facing the back parking lot (I have a sheet with the whole apt complex layout).....There's lots of parking back there!

-tx

txguy said:
That apt is in the building behind the pool facing the back parking lot (I have a sheet with the whole apt complex layout).....There's lots of parking back there!

-tx

Nothing like the beauty of a parking lot to cast my eyes upon. Oh well, it can't always be rolling green hills and trees. Who cares about the outdoors anyways, there is some studying to do!!!! :smuggrin:

Members don't see this ad :)
Just re-posting this info for new comers... congrats again to all you soon to be first years...

There is a new aprtament complex opening up called Braodstone Colonnade. The complex is the nicest I've seen in the area and they have great move in specials. A good number of current medical students are moving out there next year icluding myself, so I thought I'd let you guys know about it. If you end up checking it out, tell them Neil from the medical school sent you. She'll hook you up with 4 weeks free prorated over a 12 month lease. If you end up filling out an application, put my namedown, Neil Shah in the referral section. I get a little kick back once you have lived there for a month... once I find out that you put me down as a referral, I'll slip a $50 check into your school mailbox. The complex is really worth checking out... they have a nice gym with multiple treadmills with individual LCD TVs and a indoor basketball court. They have a really nice sports lounge with a kitchen, a huge plasma TV, a nice pool with outdoor TVs, a outdoor poolside fireplace, a a lot of BBQ grills by the pool. The floor plans are big and the interiors are really modern. There information is as follows:

1bd/1bth 568sq ft $577
1bd/1bth 664sq ft $655
1bd/1bth 707sq ft $687
1bd/1bth 858sq ft $779

2bd/2bth 997sq ft $926
2bd/2bth 1099sq ft $995
2bd/2bth 1146sq ft $1045

3bd/3bth 1311sq ft $1350

The typical rent for a 1bd/1bth in the area is $475 to $900 depending on the quality. This complex is the nicest I've seen in the area and not nearly as expensive as the rest of the nicer places. That's why a bunch of med students are moving there next year.

Melissa Garcia (or whoever is working there at the time)
Broadstone Colonnade
4330 Spectrum One
San Antonio, TX 78230
210-877-9926
210-877-9944 fax

Shoot me an email if you end up signing a lease and putting me down as a referral at [email protected]
I'll confirm it with Melissa and then once you've lived there for a month I'll hook you up with your $50.

See you guys at school soon...

Neil
MS-II

Hey guys...

Wanted to let you know about another complex. Whispering Creek.
It is 1.5 miles from the Med Center, and almost directly off of Floyd Curl. It took me about 2-3 minutes to drive to school and the great thing is that it is NOT located on a busy street, so its quiet and easy to get out of the complex. The complex is new, it is gated and has the 2 police officers living on the premise. It has a very nice pool, hot tub, and gym. Another plus for me was that every unit comes equipped with full size washer/dryer. I really liked the inside of the apartments, I thought they were at least as nice as Carlyle or Promontary Point. The main difference is that the kitchen and bathroom areas have hardwood floors, which I personally really like. I went up to San Antonio 3 different weekends and looked at over a dozen complexes in the med center, and this was by far the best. (BTW I did not check out Broadstone Colonnade so I can't comment.) These are the prices I remember.

1brm/1ba. 600 sq. feet $587/month
1brm/1ba. 728 sq. feet $647/month

I put down a deposit and rental app last weekend. I am really pumped about moving in there and hopefully some of you guys will be moving in too! P.M. if you want more info about the place....

I am totally feeling left out with all the apartment hunting going on! My mom and spent last weekend fixing up our "mini" apartment outside for me. It's very cool and I am pretty excited about it. I am so tired of work and I am ready to get back in the groove of school (I know I'll eat my words later.) Well anyway, here's wishing you guys luck in finding the perfect place. At least take comfort in the fact that SA is a great city and we're lucky to be going to med school here :)

G0S2 said:
i think it's right below me
runaway.gif

lane said:
i think it's right below me
runaway.gif

Well, I was told that 632 was the third floor. Is that incorrect?? Maybe I need to contact Santina again.

We should receive our registration/orientation packs in 2-3 weeks for those who were wondering.

AggieGal said:
I am totally feeling left out with all the apartment hunting going on! My mom and spent last weekend fixing up our "mini" apartment outside for me. It's very cool and I am pretty excited about it. I am so tired of work and I am ready to get back in the groove of school (I know I'll eat my words later.) Well anyway, here's wishing you guys luck in finding the perfect place. At least take comfort in the fact that SA is a great city and we're lucky to be going to med school here :)

When are you going to invite us over to the "mini" apartment then???

w00t! Unless I end up finding a suitable house/condo before school starts, I'll be living in Carlyle Place along with everyone else. :D

Hrm. They said that I would likely be living close to you and Lane. Heh. :smuggrin:

And G0s, 632 *is* on the third floor.

*Waves at everyone*

EvoDevo said:
w00t! Unless I end up finding a suitable house/condo before school starts, I'll be living in Carlyle Place along with everyone else. :D

Hrm. They said that I would likely be living close to you and Lane. Heh. :smuggrin:

*Waves at everyone*

And I think the 3rd floor is the top floor, so Lane must be living on the same level. They did joke (I think) and told me that they were trying to stick us all on the same floor. I don't know, but it sounds like the makings of a pseudo-frat.

G0S2 said:
And I think the 3rd floor is the top floor, so Lane must be living on the same level. They did joke (I think) and told me that they were trying to stick us all on the same floor. I don't know, but it sounds like the makings of a pseudo-frat.
And this would be a bad thing. A *very* bad thing. :smuggrin:

EvoDevo said:

*Waves at everyone*

Nice!

Yep, the second digit indicates what floor you are on.......I am in #824 (2nd floor for me!).....I'm also in that group of buildings in the "middle" and sorta behind the pool.....we will probably be a stone's throw away :oops: I can see myself borrowing notes from one of y'all in case I "miss" a class or fall asleep :smuggrin:

Has anyone gotten that medloan stuff in the mail from AAMC? :confused: What are your thoughts on that?

-tx

Members don't see this ad :)
txguy said:
Nice!

Yep, the second digit indicates what floor you are on.......I am in #824 (2nd floor for me!).....I'm also in that group of buildings in the "middle" and sorta behind the pool.....we will probably be a stone's throw away :oops: I can see myself borrowing notes from one of y'all in case I "miss" a class or fall asleep :smuggrin:

Has anyone gotten that medloan stuff in the mail from AAMC? :confused: What are your thoughts on that?

-tx

Woohoo! Looks like you and I will be living fairly close to one another....I was told today that I was in a 2nd-floor apartment overlooking the pool. I didn't ask what number it was b/c that wouldn't help me much as far as location goes. At this point, I'm almost 99% sure that I'm going to committ myself to a 12-month lease at Carlyle Place.

Evo--come and join us! Wait a sec, why am I the only GIRL living at Carlyle with all you guys? Oh well, I get along better with guys anyway.... :D

AsianDoc816 said:
Woohoo! Looks like you and I will be living fairly close to one another....I was told today that I was in a 2nd-floor apartment overlooking the pool. I didn't ask what number it was b/c that wouldn't help me much as far as location goes. At this point, I'm almost 99% sure that I'm going to committ myself to a 12-month lease at Carlyle Place.

Evo--come and join us! Wait a sec, why am I the only GIRL living at Carlyle with all you guys? Oh well, I get along better with guys anyway.... :D
Man, it sounds like Carlyle Place is going to be fuuuuuunnnn!!! :D

I've got a BBQ grill and a cute dog. We're all set, folks! :)

AsianDoc816 said:

Overlooking the pool?? Nice!! :thumbup: :thumbup: When I lived at Sterling on Oltorf (in Austin) I had a pool view apartment--it was fun to sit on the porch and read :cool:

AsianDoc816 said:

Don't worry, I think Ladybugg is also going to be living at Carlyle....I believe she was in San Antonio this past weekend to shop around....

EvoDevo said:
Man, it sounds like Carlyle Place is going to be fuuuuuunnnn!!! :D

I've got a BBQ grill and a cute dog. We're all set, folks! :)

Looks like Merlin will have some neighbors to play with :D

-tx

txguy said:
Overlooking the pool?? Nice!! :thumbup: :thumbup: When I lived at Sterling on Oltorf (in Austin) I had a pool view apartment--it was fun to sit on the porch and read :cool:

Don't worry, I think Ladybugg is also going to be living at Carlyle....I believe she was in San Antonio this past weekend to shop around....

-tx

Carlyle is going to be fun!!! Kidding about the frat. Can't do it like I used to now that I am a geezer at 30.

We will get our financial aid packs in 2-3 weeks as well so I beleive were are getting orientation/registration/fin aid all at once.

Here is the total for me as an MS1 (NONRESIDENT)----> $45,625!!!!! :scared:

wassup... I'll be part of the incomming class of 2009 at UTHSCSA... just thought I'd holla ;-)

I'm looking for a nice apt to live in... probably a single for at least the first year (until I find a good roommate)... any recommendations???

I've already seen a few and I was interested in Promontory Pointe and Med.
center apt... any feedback on these two and other apts would be nice! Thanks!!

skim7x said:
wassup... I'll be part of the incomming class of 2009 at UTHSCSA... just thought I'd holla ;-)

I'm looking for a nice apt to live in... probably a single for at least the first year (until I find a good roommate)... any recommendations???

I've already seen a few and I was interested in Promontory Pointe and Med.
center apt... any feedback on these two and other apts would be nice! Thanks!!

Welcome to the thread!

The 3 most popular seem to be Carlyle Place, Whispering Creek, and Broadstone.....

I went to SA to visit Carlyle Place, Promontory Pointe, and The Vintage in person.....I have quoted the post of my impressions of each of these below:

I took digital pictures of these 3 apartment complexes--You can find them at http://piya317.blogspot.com/ Click on "March 2005" under "Archives" on the right......

Call soon to get price quotes! I imagine the rates will rise as time goes by. And make sure to tell them you are going to be a medical student--you get a discount!

Good luck! :luck:

-tx

txguy said:
Here are my impressions!

Promontory Pointe:
Promontory pointe is located on Medical Drive, quite a ways from the health science center (its on the other side of fredericksburg (spelling?). This apartment complex is HUGE and hilly!! THere were like 25 buildings that must have totaled to about 800 units or so. You drive up a very curvy hill to get up to the main entrance (it reminded me of that hill with the most turns in the world in San Francisco). This apartment complex has a jogging trail, fitness facility, 2 swimming pools, an aerobics room (the lady said they offer free yoga classes, aerobics classes, etc.), and they even have an onsite masseuse--dunno what to make of that! I was able to look at a 747 sq ft 1/1 and a 855 sq ft 1/1. They are running some very temporary specials (she said it would not last long) on these apartments. THe 747 which normally goes for 699 is going for $650/mo. (14 month lease) and the 855 which normally goes for 799 is going for $715/mo. for a 14 month lease. The 855 I looked at had hardwood floors in the kitchen and bathroom, but this was not the case with most of the apartments, she said. I should mention that the closet in the 855 is the same size as the one in the 747, narrow and long. I stopped by this apartment complex at night to see how loud it was and if I would be able to study at night. Well, like people have said, it is pretty loud--it seems like alot of undergraduate or otherwise partying type of people live here. Also, I guess since its so big, there were constantly people going in and out. Coincidentally, I met a 2nd year student on my SWA flight back to Dallas! I asked if she was a med student because I saw her with a HUMUNGOUS pathology book lol :laugh: . Anyway, she lived at Promontory Pointe her 1st year and she hated it! Like a poster on SDN said, the management is terrible. She said a good way to tell if an apartment complex is good, is if 2nd years and beyond live there. She currently lives at Whispering Creek (if this isnt the name, then its Whipsering SOMEthing) and she likes it--so this is another option to consider. Like Carlyle, Whispering Creek is a smaller complex, so perhaps you get more personal attention with the management--they probably know everyone on a first name basis. So Promontory Pointe is a nice apartment complex, but I'm not sure its worth it because of the millions of tenants, poor management, and its even a little farther away from campus than the other 2 apartment complexes I looked at.

Here is the link to Promontory Pointe on apartmentguide.com:
http://www.apartmentguide.com/Prope...cedSearch=&wsv_qsNoAreas=&wsv_qsSFlg=&lk=dtTb

The Vintage:
The Vintage is located on Louis Pasteur, literally right next to the health science center. This is a very nice apartment complex and it is not very large. Its in the shape of a U. It is gated, with a security officer at the gate (they are there from 5pm-1am). When I drove in, I immediately felt safe and secure. There is a big circle driveway that leads to the leasing office and both parking garages (there isn't much space to "drive around" in, like at most other apartment compexes--its just a big circle driveway) This complex looks like an outdoor hotel--all of the entrances to the apartments face the inside of the "U" and the balconies face the outside, to the general public. Everyone parks in 1 of the 2 parking garages, which go up 4 or 5 levels--there are elevators too! (I peeked into the garages and I saw alot of Lexuses, Acuras, and BMWs :)) You probably always get pretty close parking to your apartment due to the extra vertical real estate of the garage. The lady I talked to said these apartments are "high yield," which means they don't really run any specials, promotions, etc. Right now, there are no vacancies, so the prices are very steep. The 748 sq ft 1/1 is currently running at $850! She said the prices might go back down to about $800 in the summer, when people tend to move out. The deposit on this complex is $200 (!). Unlike the other apartments, you have to pay extra to get valet trash pickup. Also, from what I remember, they don't include W/D units in the apartments--you have to pay extra for this. However, they do have public W/D units that everyone can use--I didn't get to see them. I was not able to get into this apartment complex at night to check out the noise level--this probably speaks to the security of the complex!

Here is the apartmentguide.com link for The Vintage:
http://www.apartmentguide.com/Prope...cedSearch=&wsv_qsNoAreas=&wsv_qsSFlg=&lk=dtTb

Here is a secret "Virtual Tour" website that they gave me to look at:
http://www.circlepix.com/site/tour/skin.htm?id=214987&skin=86&room=&page=

Carlyle place:
Carlyle is located on Babcock, about 2-4 minutes from school (you COULD walk if you really wanted to, but I would just drive the short distance in your car). I loved these apartments the best! It is a very small complex--only about 100 units or so. There is a swimming pool with a heated spa, 24 hr fitness center, and business center (where you can make copies and fax stuff) All apartments come with Whirlpool fridges and microwaves. And all apartments come with actual Washer/Dryer units instead of just the connections (The Vintage didn't come with W/D I dont think). Unlike Promontory pointe, they will re-wire the cable for you, if you want your TV in a different part of the living room than it is when you move in. Again, with these smaller compelexes, it seems like you get more personal attention from management. The staff was warm and welcoming--just like on the phone when you call in (Santina is a sweetheart). They even opened the office early for me so I could come in and look at 9am on a Saturday (I knew it was going to rain in the afternoon, so I wanted to get all my apt shopping done in the morning). They have all sorts of events for their tenants and cookies everyday! The specials and pricing on the 758 and 827 sq. ft 1/1's are posted above in my other post. The deposit is $50 to secure an apartment and price. I drove around Carlyle at night and it was very quiet. Like lane said, you can probably study at home if you don't feel like going to the library.

Here is the link to Carlyle on apartmentguide.com:

In summary, all 3 apartment complexes were nice, so I really think it boils down to management, pricing, and location. Someone should check out Whispering Creek and post their impressions. Good luck! :luck:

-tx

txguy said:

-tx
Right. Cuz he's a friendly dog, and cute to boot. :)

Hey man, maybe we can get a Halo2 clan group going or something. Beer, pizza, and death. :cool:

G0S2 said:
Here is the total for me as an MS1 (NONRESIDENT)----> $45,625!!!!! :scared:
Jeebus! Sorry, man.

Still, you must be a stud to have gotten in as a NR. I know whose notes I'll be "borrowing." :D ;)

EvoDevo said:
Jeebus! Sorry, man.

Still, you must be a stud to have gotten in as a NR. I know whose notes I'll be "borrowing." :D ;)

You gotta do what you gotta do. All I can say is that primary care is out. I am going to have to be a dermacardioradanethesiologist.

Looks like we will have some fun X-Box moments. I find it is an awesome study break. Nothing like blowing some heads off!!!

G0S2 said:
You gotta do what you gotta do. All I can say is that primary care is out. I am going to have to be a dermacardioradanethesiologist.

Looks like we will have some fun X-Box moments. I find it is an awesome study break. Nothing like blowing some heads off!!!
You gotta do what you gotta do, mang.

You too, eh? Halo2 player? What's your gamertag?

EvoDevo said:
You gotta do what you gotta do, mang.

You too, eh? Halo2 player? What's your gamertag?

I am still workin on Halo. I have never played online so you guys will have to show me the way. I did finish Ghost Recon 2. Enjoyed it very much. It should be interesting to battle in Halo 2 given we may all be living within shouting distance of one another.

You Carlyle people are bumming me out with your talk of BBQ's and frathouse shinanigans! Right now I'm feeling lonely over at Whispering Creek. Oh well...Come on people! I want some neighbors too!

EvoDevo said:
Right. Cuz he's a friendly dog, and cute to boot. :)

Hey man, maybe we can get a Halo2 clan group going or something. Beer, pizza, and death. :cool:

Absolutely. "You killed EvoDevo" :smuggrin:

G0S2 said:
I am still workin on Halo. I have never played online so you guys will have to show me the way. I did finish Ghost Recon 2. Enjoyed it very much. It should be interesting to battle in Halo 2 given we may all be living within shouting distance of one another.

You must join us! Evo and I have played a few games and had lots of fun. I hear Ghost Recon 2 is a good game, but I have yet to try it out. I just got Splinter Cell Chaos Theory the other day and its really fun so far....

By the way, my xbox live gamertag is piya (my Thai name :oops: )....

-tx

dizzydog said:
You Carlyle people are bumming me out with your talk of BBQ's and frathouse shinanigans! Right now I'm feeling lonely over at Whispering Creek. Oh well...Come on people! I want some neighbors too!
Ah man. :( You could always sign an app over @ Carlyle.....it's never too late. :idea:

And you could put me down as your reference. :smuggrin:

G0S2 said:
Man, what I'm thinking about is a LAN party. We could also all go online as well with the dude who has the biggest TV (mine is 32").

txguy said:
Absolutely. "You killed EvoDevo" :smuggrin:
Yeah. I wonder who's killed whom more? :smuggrin:

txguy said:
You must join us! Evo and I have played a few games and had lots of fun. I hear Ghost Recon 2 is a good game, but I have yet to try it out. I just got Splinter Cell Chaos Theory the other day and its really fun so far....

By the way, my xbox live gamertag is piya (my Thai name :oops: )....

-tx
I haven't played either of those. Good? What's SCCT like?

dizzydog said:

Don't fret dizzydog....I'm sure that there will be other, non-SDN medical students who will be living at Whispering Creek :oops:

And to think that we SDN peeps own the world....hehehe

AsianDoc816 said:
Don't fret dizzydog....I'm sure that there will be other, non-SDN medical students who will be living at Whispering Creek :oops:

And to think that we SDN peeps own the world....hehehe

It is funny that we SDN'ers represent what, 3-4% of the MS1 class?? I actually may never see you guys.

G0S2 said:
It is funny that we SDN'ers represent what, 3-4% of the MS1 class?? I actually may never see you guys.

I'm sure it'll be clichish but with only 200 people I hope I know everyone.

I don't agree with everything on this list but someone emailed me this today:

You know you're from San Antonio When...

You lost your virginity at Mission drive-in.

You know exactly how to get to the "Ghost Tracks" from anywhere in town.

You think "pro-choice" means flour or corn tortillas.

You've never been to the Alamo.

You think a health drink is a Margarita without salt.

You think being able to read the Taco Cabana menu makes you bilingual.

There has been a road crew on your street since before the Alamodome was built.

You remember when Crossroads Mall used to be called Wonderland.

You know all about the "Dancing Diablo" and the "Donkey Lady" bridge.

Your subwoofer has twice the value of your car.

You have three rodeo outfits but never have been on a horse.

You're an expert with the brake pedal, but you have no idea what a blinker is.

Your idea of culture is wearing a Hard Rock T-shirt.

You think the last supper was at Mi Tierra restaurant.

You do your grocery shopping at a flea market.

You think local politicians are crooks, but you still do not vote.

You have a "Selena Lives" bumper sticker on your car.

You care if San Antonio is in the "national spotlight".

A formal occasion is getting a glass with your longneck.

You believe Tacos, barbecue, tequilla, and beer are the four basic food groups.

You rented Pulp Fiction to escape the everyday violence of the city.

You think wearing bows in your hair will get you a husband.

Your White mother learned how to make Tamales & Menudo from your neighbors.

You know the "real" definition of FIESTA is "stay home if at all possible".

You have ordered Mexican food at a Chinese restaurant.

You had breakfast tacos at Taco Cabana on Christmas morning.

You remember hamburgers from Whopper Burger.

You're elementary field trip was to the Butter Crust Bakery.

EvoDevo said:
I haven't played either of those. Good? What's SCCT like?

Chaos Theory is the third installment in Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell series and its probably the best "stealth action" game out there on any system. You get to use all sorts of high tech gadgets/gizmos while you sneak around in the shadows and silently take out your enemies :smuggrin: Or, you can always say "screw covert ops" and go in gunz-a-blazin!

I haven't tried the multiplayer yet, but its very innovative. You have mercenaries vs. spies (2on2 action). The spies sneak around and complete missions while the mercenaries try to stop them by hunting them down FPS-style. You can also play co-op missions on xbox live! (I wish you could do this in Halo 2)

If you get it, we should definitely play! :thumbup:

-tx

txguy said:
Chaos Theory is the third installment in Tom Clancy's Splinter Cell series and its probably the best "stealth action" game out there on any system. You get to use all sorts of high tech gadgets/gizmos while you sneak around in the shadows and silently take out your enemies :smuggrin: Or, you can always say "screw covert ops" and go in gunz-a-blazin!

I haven't tried the multiplayer yet, but its very innovative. You have mercenaries vs. spies (2on2 action). The spies sneak around and complete missions while the mercenaries try to stop them by hunting them down FPS-style. You can also play co-op missions on xbox live! (I wish you could do this in Halo 2)

If you get it, we should definitely play! :thumbup:

-tx

Yeah, I plan on picking that one up any day now. It looks incredible.

Just booked my one-way flight to cowboy country.

G0S2 said:
Yeah, I plan on picking that one up any day now. It looks incredible.

Just booked my one-way flight to cowboy country.

Yup, the graphics alone will make you think you're playing on a high end PC!

Hope everyone is havin' a good day....I gotta stop goofing off and get some studying done :laugh:

-tx

G0S2 said:
When are you going to invite us over to the "mini" apartment then???

Whenever you guys want I am totally game!

FYI: For those looking for a laptop, Dell is having a $750 off $1500 coupon tomorrow starting at 8am. Coupon code is J096TQ8TFFG2VX . There are also potential Big Bucks coupons you can get off ebay. Also, if you register through www.fatwallet.com and go through their links, you can get 3% cash back. I personally have a 700m and it's one sweet computer!

Hey folks-

Found a website with some interesting numbers for the average malpractice insurance premiums by specialty (only lists Gen Surgery, OB/GYN, and internists.)

Anyway, note that the article is dated 2002. Think how high they must be by now! :thumbdown:

At least Texas isn't the worst.

http://aspe.hhs.gov/daltcp/reports/mlupd1.htm

Put a deposit on a Broadstone apartment today. Still gotta mail back the application. Sort of far from the school but it really was nice...

For anyone still looking, you know that the lodge has a two bedroom floorplan for $760...plus it is easily the closes complex to the school.

Broadstone's website talks about "urban living" and being able to walk to resturants, stores and hotels. At the same time it looks like while you COULD walk you probably would drive to the shops. Is that a correct assesment? Or are the apartments part of a pedestrian friendly "urban" development?

Trying to pick apartments from a far...

PZimm said:
Broadstone's website talks about "urban living" and being able to walk to resturants, stores and hotels. At the same time it looks like while you COULD walk you probably would drive to the shops. Is that a correct assesment? Or are the apartments part of a pedestrian friendly "urban" development?

You're right on the first point...while the apartments are within 'walking distance' to some shops and stuff, you would probably drive to get to where you want to go. The only places that are within 'actual' walking distance is a Jason's Deli and a maternity clothes shop. But there's a Fuddrucker's, Bennigan's, Starbucks, HEB, etc. within a mile, maybe a half of a mile, of the complex. Most of the places that you would want to go to (major retail stores, restaurants, etc.) are not far at all from the medical center. This is a very nice area in that everything is relatively close, i.e. within a few miles.

But still, Broadstone is great and set back a little ways from the highway behind the retail complex so that you don't have major traffic. I'm so excited to move in!!!

futrdrbaker said:
You're right on the first point...while the apartments are within 'walking distance' to some shops and stuff, you would probably drive to get to where you want to go. The only places that are within 'actual' walking distance is a Jason's Deli and a maternity clothes shop. But there's a Fuddrucker's, Bennigan's, Starbucks, HEB, etc. within a mile, maybe a half of a mile, of the complex. Most of the places that you would want to go to (major retail stores, restaurants, etc.) are not far at all from the medical center. This is a very nice area in that everything is relatively close, i.e. within a few miles.

But still, Broadstone is great and set back a little ways from the highway behind the retail complex so that you don't have major traffic. I'm so excited to move in!!!

Thanks for the response. Broadstone looks great, but it is kind of pricey... Much to think about.

futrdrbaker said:

Ooooh....walking distance to Jason's Deli? That's one of my favorite places to eat....but I'm pretty much sold on Carlyle....

walking distance is subjective - as a native texan i'd rather drive somewhere than walk (i even drive to my mailbox and it's just across the pool :D)

there's a schlotzsky's (now 'sky's...weird) less than a quarter mile from carlyle but i've never driven there. eh well.

Good morning all :sleep: .....today I have my last test until Finals! :D

Later!

-tx

Today, I have a test and a presentation to give....

Then it's one more test and two more papers until finals....

Counting down, down, down--3.5 weeks of class left! :D

USCTex said:
Put a deposit on a Broadstone apartment today. Still gotta mail back the application. Sort of far from the school but it really was nice...

USCTex, I'm so happy that you're [probably] moving into Broadstone! I'm moving in July 1, so you'll have to come over and say hello! I hope you're living in a building close to mine :)

PZimm said:
At the same time it looks like while you COULD walk you probably would drive to the shops. Is that a correct assesment? Or are the apartments part of a pedestrian friendly "urban" development?

While it is true that walking distance is subjective, I would walk places from Broadstone. Especially with the current price of gas, I just grab my iPod and walk to my destination, as long as it isn't dark. Broadstone is in a safe neighborhood, so I feel pretty comfortable walking to Jason's Deli or wherever.

Having said this, my walking habit is definitely a byproduct of the fact that I studied abroad... learning to live without a car really helps to make you less dependent on it when you return!

To all current students, post grads, and possibly MS0's with info:

I just received my "First Aid USMLE Step 1" book and I was browsing through the books they list in the back, wondering which ones were the most useful (there are several "A" rated books in most categories). So I thought we could make a list of which books students found most helpful for Step 1. If we have time, I have heard that it is advisible to read these books as we study during our basic science years along with First Aid of course, so that we can maintain a USMLE "awareness" and use their study hints/mnemonics to supplement our understanding in our classes! (For example, during Microbiology, we could also use "Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple" alongside our class)

Anyway, here are the categories--I thought maybe you could also put comments in paranthesis as well, explaining a little about the pros/cons of the book: (I have added a couple books a 4th yr said were helpful)

-Anatomy-

-Biochem-

-Histology-

-Physiology-
Board Review Series (2 different students recommended this)

-Neursciences-

-Behavioral Sciences-

-Micro/immunology-
Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple (I heard this book is "golden")

-Pharm-

-Path-
Board Review Series

-Comprehensive-(i.e. Kaplan organ based, High Yield Systems based review, etc)
Has anyone heard anything about these comprehensive, systems-based books??

Thanks! And if there is a better way to collect/present this information or if I'm missing any categories, let me know :D (If you "quote" this post, then make sure you remove the beginning and ending quote tags to retain the bolded formatting!)

-tx

To all current students, post grads, and possibly MS0's with info:

I just received my "First Aid USMLE Step 1" book and I was browsing through the books they list in the back, wondering which ones were the most useful (there are several "A" rated books in most categories). So I thought we could make a list of which books students found most helpful for Step 1. If we have time, I have heard that it is advisible to read these books as we study during our basic science years along with First Aid of course, so that we can maintain a USMLE "awareness" and use their study hints/mnemonics to supplement our understanding in our classes! (For example, during Microbiology, we could also use "Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple" alongside our class)

Anyway, here are the categories--I thought maybe you could also put comments in paranthesis as well, explaining a little about the pros/cons of the book: (I have added a couple books a 4th yr said were helpful)

-Anatomy-

-Biochem-
Lippincott's Harvey and Champe- it takes time to get through it, however, it should be used as a study guide during biochem. Students swear by this book for reviewing for the shelf exam.

-Histology-

-Physiology-
Board Review Series (2 different students recommended this)

-Neursciences-

-Behavioral Sciences-

-Micro/immunology-
Clinical Microbiology Made Ridiculously Simple (I heard this book is "golden")

-Pharm-

-Path-
Board Review Series

-Comprehensive-(i.e. Kaplan organ based, High Yield Systems based review, etc)
Has anyone heard anything about these comprehensive, systems-based books??

Thanks! And if there is a better way to collect/present this information or if I'm missing any categories, let me know :D (If you "quote" this post, then make sure you remove the beginning and ending quote tags to retain the bolded formatting!)

-tx

Status
Not open for further replies.