UT Houston Class of 2009! part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Is anyone still looking for a roommate? I will be a MS1 at Baylor next year and would like to live with another medical student. I am not a big fan of cookie-cutter thin walled apartments so I am interested in finding a house/condo/duplex to share with someone.
These are a few examples of what I kind of had in mind:
http://www.har.com/7647535
http://www.har.com/4056094
http://www.har.com/2196418

If you are interested email me at [email protected]

--Stephen

Members don't see this ad.

Is anyone else STILL peeling from Welcome Weekend?? I am, and I get little water blisters on my arms every time I work out. I'm starting to think ,y skin will never stop peeling off.

Is anyone else STILL peeling from Welcome Weekend?? I am, and I get little water blisters on my arms every time I work out. I'm starting to think my skin will never stop peeling off.

Members don't see this ad :)
Ylime said:
Is anyone else STILL peeling from Welcome Weekend?? I am, and I get little water blisters on my arms every time I work out. I'm starting to think my skin will never stop peeling off.

Unfortunately, yes. :mad:

That sucks to still be peeling.. I feel bad because I know how bad it is.. I always feel like i'm going to pull too much skin and there won't be any new skin underneath.. I just made my dad feel so much better today. All along he was thinking that med school was going to be 40k a year for tuition.. when I let him down easy and let him know its only going to be around 10k he became a new person.. ah.. the joy of making parents happy while doing absolutely nothing..

does anything have info on the pre-entry program at UTH?

EEEEE said:
does anything have info on the pre-entry program at UTH?

I wasn't aware there was such a program.

I still haven't gone to get my vaccinations yet.......too busy avoiding studying for my finals :rolleyes:

Brain said:
I wasn't aware there was such a program.

I still haven't gone to get my vaccinations yet.......too busy avoiding studying for my finals :rolleyes:

I have yet to get all of my vaccinations and I've been here for almost a year :eek:

PeterGriffin said:
I have yet to get all of my vaccinations and I've been here for almost a year :eek:
yeah, but think of what you'll be coming in contact with at LBJ *shudder*

as for pre-entry don't know if I'd do it. you lose that much time of your summer/work/whatever you'll be doing. I didn't do it though (didn't know it existed till I showed up) so I may not be the best to ask.

another thought to keep in mind is how you'll pay your tuition. I really recommend getting some kind of credit card that gives you rewards because that is 40k of money over your four years. I have one that gives me 1% back but some of you may want something that gives you say airline miles. just make sure they don't take your tuition out of your award money and then go online and pay it through UTLink (you'll get that info later.) The site takes visa and master card and you can divide your payments up into 4 if your limit can't handle a semester or a whole year at once.

Anyone have any suggestions about what we should put in our thank you letters for our scholarships? I don't really know what to put, besides the typical 'Thank you for your donation.'

:confused:

Emily

Members don't see this ad :)
Ylime said:
Anyone have any suggestions about what we should put in our thank you letters for our scholarships? I don't really know what to put, besides the typical 'Thank you for your donation.'

:confused:

Emily

I know...Sometimes it's really hard to get started. I just used my last thank you letter as a template. I usually do something like this.

intro paragraph: 2-3 sentences expressing your gratitude
second paragraph: a little about yourself and your plans for the future
third paragraph: acknowledgement of the background info of the scholarship / scholarship donor (if applicable)
fourth paragraph: 1-2 sentences reiterating your thanks

Is anyone else thrilled they won't be having to write papers every couple of weeks in med school?

Stitch626 said:
I know...Sometimes it's really hard to get started. I just used my last thank you letter as a template. I usually do something like this.

intro paragraph: 2-3 sentences expressing your gratitude
second paragraph: a little about yourself and your plans for the future
third paragraph: acknowledgement of the background info of the scholarship / scholarship donor (if applicable)
fourth paragraph: 1-2 sentences reiterating your thanks

Is anyone else thrilled they won't be having to write papers every couple of weeks in med school?

Did you type it or is it hand-written? I am THRILLED about not having to write papers.

Ylime said:
Did you type it or is it hand-written? I am THRILLED about not having to write papers.

I typed it since my handwriting is atrocious. Bad handwriting = good doctor??

BTW...after seeing that UTMB, UTSW & UTSA have already received their financial aid packages, I decided to call our financial aid office. Don't hold your breath .... they haven't even started processing and individual packages won't be announced til June. Sigh.

Ylime said:
I am THRILLED about not having to write papers.
Hmmm
I'm sorry to inform you that most likely you will have to write two essay papers in Immunology. We have one due on friday. :( These papers make up 20% of the final grade.

Don't worry, it's not that bad. ;)

jpro said:
Hmmm
I'm sorry to inform you that most likely you will have to write two essay papers in Immunology. We have one due on friday. :( These papers make up 20% of the final grade.

stupid Dr. Actor! :mad:

Good Morning all.....and a bump :)

jpro said:
Hmmm

and THEN you get to do your patient history/exam write-ups with differential etc for physical diagnosis. BARF. glad that is behind me. I guess the good thing about those at least is it is something you have to learn how to do to be a 'real' doctor.

jdovez said:
So how bout them Rockets?? Looks like Houston has something else over Dallas!
I am glad...I am not a fan of dallas or their teams ever since i have moved up to Dallas. They are way too cockey.

OK guys, I just emailed the University of Nevada School of Medicine to tell them that I'd like to withdraw :eek: Making decisions is frightening! But, I just know that I will be happier at UT-Houston. So it's official, I'll definitely be seeing you guys next year! :thumbup: :D

getunconcsious said:
OK guys, I just emailed the University of Nevada School of Medicine to tell them that I'd like to withdraw :eek: Making decisions is frightening! But, I just know that I will be happier at UT-Houston. So it's official, I'll definitely be seeing you guys next year! :thumbup: :D

Yay! Welcome to UT Houston Class of 2009, officially! See you in August!

getunconcsious said:

Congrats! It's tough decision but it has to feel good knowing where you'll be for the next four years.

A question for you all:

I'm finally being a good kid and made an appointment for tomorrow to get my required vaccinations. On the memo we got in our information packet, it said we need the meningococcal vaccination. However, it doesn't say it on the actual vaccine form we have to have filled out. Do we really need to get it? It's an expensive shot and doesn't really work. But I suppose it won't hurt with all the crap we will be exposed to....

Brain said:
A question for you all:

I'm finally being a good kid and made an appointment for tomorrow to get my required vaccinations. On the memo we got in our information packet, it said we need the meningococcal vaccination. However, it doesn't say it on the actual vaccine form we have to have filled out. Do we really need to get it? It's an expensive shot and doesn't really work. But I suppose it won't hurt with all the crap we will be exposed to....

Don't worry too much about those yet. You wont really be exposed to much until 2nd year at the earliest unless you just really want to. I still haven't gotten all of my vaccinations

PeterGriffin said:
Don't worry too much about those yet. You wont really be exposed to much until 2nd year at the earliest unless you just really want to. I still haven't gotten all of my vaccinations

We have a form that we have to get filled out and sent in by a certain date. I don't know what they'll do if we don't send it in on time. Also, I need to get them done before I graduate so I can still use the student health services which is cheap.

Hey, anyone know how to apply for student housing? Do we have to contact them by snail mail or what? Should I even apply this late? I just made the decision today, so I couldn't really apply before now.

Brain said:
A question for you all:

What i find interesting is the actual form that they told us to refer to and that they want our doctor's to fill out says nothing about getting a meningococcal vaccination. So even though the memo says we need it, I am not worrying about it. After all how do they know if we have the vaccination, when the form that they need back says nothing about it.

getunconcsious said:
Hey, anyone know how to apply for student housing? Do we have to contact them by snail mail or what? Should I even apply this late? I just made the decision today, so I couldn't really apply before now.

I think there might still be some apartments left at the new student housing but I'm not sure. There should definately be some available here at the old housing. You should probably just call and ask
http://ae.uth.tmc.edu/housing/index.html

I have an official copy of my immunization records, but no doctor signature for it because I had my immunizations so long ago. I just got the copy from UT's records. I only need a TB test (and meningitis one, but i'm not gonna worry about it) to complete my immunizations. Anyone have any idea if I can just attach the copy of my records and then get a TB test and have a doctor sign off on that and then mail it in? I just don't think a doctor would sign off on vaccinations they didn't give me.

getunconcsious said:

When I called about 2 weeks ago the guy said they still have some of the 1BR available in the new complex. They do not know the availability in the old one until people start moving out (I think he meant give their notice that theyre gonna leave), but he said that given so many people are moving over to the new complex, there should be availabilities. You just need to get on the waitlist and tell them when you want to move in. Also, they give priority to the move in date and not to the date you sign up for the waitlist. So, if you signed up for the waitlist now and something opened up say in mid june and you put june as your move in, you would get that ahead of someone that signed up in february to move in in july. Also, most people are going to move into the new complex in june and july, so that's the best time to try to move into the old complex. I recommend just calling, they are extremely nice and helpful.

ccstevem said:
I have an official copy of my immunization records, but no doctor signature for it because I had my immunizations so long ago. I just got the copy from UT's records. I only need a TB test (and meningitis one, but i'm not gonna worry about it) to complete my immunizations. Anyone have any idea if I can just attach the copy of my records and then get a TB test and have a doctor sign off on that and then mail it in? I just don't think a doctor would sign off on vaccinations they didn't give me.
take your record with you when you go to get the TB stuff, the doc there can fill it in and sign off on it. most people don't still go to the same doc they had when they were little. if you can get hold of your original imm record for the doc, that would probably be best.

If you are going to be getting shots at UT Health Center then they WILL NOT sign off on them. I tried to have them sign off on them, but they told me that if you did not get all of those fom them they would be violating their insurance boundaries....I just got an official copy of my records and sent it to them - UT said that is as official as it gets when it comes to them. :rolleyes:

relema said:
What i find interesting is the actual form that they told us to refer to and that they want our doctor's to fill out says nothing about getting a meningococcal vaccination. So even though the memo says we need it, I am not worrying about it. After all how do they know if we have the vaccination, when the form that they need back says nothing about it.

I will say one good thing about that form though...it only asks you to check a box next to "have you had chicken pox?". Woohoo! No varicella vaccine!?!

Current students: I need a new printer. Do you think it's worth it to buy an all-in-one printer (scan/copy/print) or is that just a waste of my money? Thanks, I appreciate your input.

I forgot to ask... Did anyone else get a letter recently that says they can check their financial aid status online at UTLink? I can't find a way to look at the Fall 2005 term - only Spring and Summer 2005 are available. I assume the financial aid office hasn't put the Fall 2005 option up yet...but why would they send me a letter saying I can check my status now? :confused:

Stitch626 said:
I forgot to ask... Did anyone else get a letter recently that says they can check their financial aid status online at UTLink? I can't find a way to look at the Fall 2005 term - only Spring and Summer 2005 are available. I assume the financial aid office hasn't put the Fall 2005 option up yet...but why would they send me a letter saying I can check my status now? :confused:

Bump from page 6?! I got that letter too, and when I tried to check I had the same problem.

I guess this is more of a question for current students. Has anyone taken the medical Spanish course from UH? Here is a link I got from the UTH site if anyone else is interested:

http://www.med.uth.tmc.edu/student/opportunities/tmc spanish fall04.pdf

Is taking this doable and worth it? It's something I want to take but won't get to now either because of timing or money.

Brain said:
I guess this is more of a question for current students. Has anyone taken the medical Spanish course from UH? Here is a link I got from the UTH site if anyone else is interested:

http://www.med.uth.tmc.edu/student/opportunities/tmc spanish fall04.pdf

Is taking this doable and worth it? It's something I want to take but won't get to now either because of timing or money.
I think I remember looking into it but ending up thinking I didn't want to pre-plan out all that time for a class, I like flexibility.

The school offers a lunchtime spanish class for different levels both semesters of the year which I think is free (or pretty cheap) and once a week. Another thing to conider is a summer program down in Mexico learning medical spanish and shadowing btwn MS1 and MS2. A friend of mine did that and really enjoyed it.

Stitch626 said:
I forgot to ask... Did anyone else get a letter recently that says they can check their financial aid status online at UTLink?
Status check now available, although they have not issued awards yet I don't think. Yay! Another thing to obsessively check every day!

Directions:
1. Log in to UTLink.
2. Hover on the blue "Term" tab at the top. Select any term, even "Not Applicable," it doesn't seem to matter which one you choose. The one most in the future still says "Summer 2005." The screen will reload, and now it says the term under your name in the upper right hand corner.
3. Hover on the blue "Financial" tab. Click the "Financial Aid" sub-tab. If you are using a laptop or other screen with low resolution, you may have to scroll horizontally (using the bar at the bottom of your screen) to get the whole blue tab system to work correctly. Screen will reload.
4. In the "Term" dialog box, select "2005-06..." This is new.
5. In the "Program" dialog box, select "Medical 1st Year."
6. Hit search and the screen will reload, telling you that they haven't done anything yet. It will show you the status of them receiving your application and downloading your FAFSA, though, with dates. Holy calendar, Batman!

Another fun thing to do on UTLink is check to see if they received your undergraduate transcript. Select a term (Step 2 above). Hover over the blue "Admin" tab, then over the "Status" sub-tab, then click the "Admissions" sub-sub-tab. The screen will reload. In the "Term" dialog box, select "Medical 2005." The screen will reload and Congratulations! another affirmation that you have been accepted to medical school. Oh yeah, back to my point, the transcripts they have received will be listed, along with some other stuff including your crappy GPA. Wait, that's just me. Fresh!

Thanks! They must have added the 2005-2006 tab in the last couple of days because I have been checking this site obsessively. This is what happens when you don't have a job and all your friends work. Not that I'm complaining though....

I wonder why they list my FAFSA date as 4/4? I submitted my FAFSA in early January. Oh well.

Stitch626 said:
Thanks! They must have added the 2005-2006 tab in the last couple of days because I have been checking this site obsessively. This is what happens when you don't have a job and all your friends work. Not that I'm complaining though....

I wonder why they list my FAFSA date as 4/4? I submitted my FAFSA in early January. Oh well.
I believe 4/4 is the date they downloaded it from the Big Brother government database. Also, I think it has something to do with the TMDSAS Last Master File Update date.

how do you log into UT Link?

Today was my last day of classes! :D Now just 2 1/2 weeks of exams and I'll be done with my first year of med school...assuming I pass everything :scared:

By the way, did anyone happen to catch the triumphant return of Family Guy last Sunday. It was freakin' sweet!

PeterGriffin said:
Today was my last day of classes! :D Now just 2 1/2 weeks of exams and I'll be done with my first year of med school...assuming I pass everything :scared:

By the way, did anyone happen to catch the triumphant return of Family Guy last Sunday. It was freakin' sweet!

Hells yeah! Family Guy was awesome! American Dad isn't as good I don't think. That alien is really annoying.

getunconcsious said:
Hells yeah! Family Guy was awesome! American Dad isn't as good I don't think. That alien is really annoying.

First, I must say that the NBA has become ridiculous when they threaten a lifetime ban of my man Van Gundy for saying (probably rightfully so) that Yao has been the target of some questionable officiating. Having gone to Game 4 (and returning for 6) I can say that the officiating has been garbage. My blind, brittle grandmother could have made better calls. Alas however I digress.

I want to wish all of you the best of luck at UT Houston over the next 4 years. I have finally decided that I will be returning to nyc and attending aecom. I want to thank you all for the information that you guys shared and the advice you levied. I truly appreciate it all. Best of luck to you guys, to the person who gets my spot, and to the person who ends up with the "office of family and friends" scholarship. Take care one and all.

Best of luck, jdovez. We'll miss you in Houston. Have fun in New York! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.