UT Houston Class of 2009! part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm at the Alta Lofts on Almeda. :D

Members don't see this ad.

Versailles Park on Almeda.....moving next week

UT Housing on El Paseo

Members don't see this ad :)
Archstone Brompton court....... August 1st

I'll be living in the Spires. I'll probably be moving in July 8 or something around that time.

MadameLULU said:
wow...luxury apartments

It's actually an inheritance of sorts. My parents bought a place there after I moved out of the house after high school. They lived there for a while but then decided they wanted a house again. They had a little trouble selling and they decided to let me take over it since I need to be in the area. They think they might be ready to live in again by the time I'm done with med school so it's a sweet deal for me and they'll have a place when they don't want house maintence (my parents are kinda old).

Maroneal Apts...moving in June 8. Can't wait!

I'm literally dreaming about Step 1. Different drugs are going to battle with their side effects or enzymes cause tragedy or AHHHHHH!!!!! :eek:

I think its time for a run. I may be training for a marathon. Half way there but who knows....

PS - Anyone who puts my name on their lease when they sign at the Maroneal as a reference will get a $200 bonus from me if I get the referral. :)

The Riverwalk on Old Spanish Trail

Members don't see this ad :)
new poll.... :p

Will you be living alone or with a roomate/spouse/sig. other in the fall???

just keeping my last idea alive, humor me :)

SEUPATTY said:
new poll.... :p

Will you be living alone or with a roomate/spouse/sig. other in the fall???

just keeping my last idea alive, humor me :)

I'll be living alone. I have pets that are difficult for anyone but me to live with.

On an unrelated note, did you guys get the email for the retreat? I'm starting to make my moving arrangements so now it's starting to really sink in that I'm actually going to medical school in the Fall.

Brain said:
I'll be living alone. I have pets that are difficult for anyone but me to live with.

On an unrelated note, did you guys get the email for the retreat? I'm starting to make my moving arrangements so now it's starting to really sink in that I'm actually going to medical school in the Fall.

What kind of pets do you have, if you don't mind me asking? I really like animals so I'm always curious about pets. I have some 2-year old hermit crabs that I'm bringing with me and I'll probably buy some fish and maybe a hamster or something once i get there.

I got the e-mail for retreat too...ugh, i hate retreat type things. The one for my undergrad honors college was at Camp Allen too. In my experience, if you're not athletically inclined and ultra-gregarious, these things are painful. But I feel like I *should* go since I'm sure most of our class will be there. Anybody else feel like this? :oops:

Living alone with my cat. After living with people and by myself i have decided this is the only way to go.

getunconcsious said:
What kind of pets do you have, if you don't mind me asking? I really like animals so I'm always curious about pets. I have some 2-year old hermit crabs that I'm bringing with me and I'll probably buy some fish and maybe a hamster or something once i get there.

I got the e-mail for retreat too...ugh, i hate retreat type things. The one for my undergrad honors college was at Camp Allen too. In my experience, if you're not athletically inclined and ultra-gregarious, these things are painful. But I feel like I *should* go since I'm sure most of our class will be there. Anybody else feel like this? :oops:

To answer poll girl :p ...Just me and my cat. I've never lived alone before, but I think I'll appreciate the stress-free enviroment when exam time rolls along.

And to reply to the above post...I am totally feeling you on that one! I hate being forced to make friends. It's not that I don't want to meet people - it just seems like by the time I show up to these things there's already established cliques and that makes me feel insecure. Where's my therapist? Oh, and I hate the outdoors - or maybe it's the outdoors that hates me. What did y'all do when you were at Camp Allen (please don't say hiking!)?

getunconcsious said:

I have two parrots. Here's a pic of one of them
348844431IzbmGO_th.jpg

They can be hard to deal with because they scream and are very messy. Additionally, one of them doesn't like men and she'll fly and attack. That makes bring home a new boyfriend for the first time very problematic. She actually bit an X on the nose :oops:

I hear you on the retreat thing. I'm athletically challenged and somewhat introverted so I dread going to these things. I'll definitely be there though and hopefully I'll see you guys and the folks I met at welcome weekend. Maybe we should have an SDN get together of some sorts. I'd like to meet you guys but I feel like a dork going around "So, do you frequent SDN?"

Living alone.. Getting a two bedroom in case I decide to have a roommate later on.. but i'm used to living alone so it'll be fine. And about the retreat...
I think it will be fun just to meet a few more classmates before school starts.... so we'll see how that goes

Brain said:
I have two parrots. Here's a pic of one of them
348844431IzbmGO_th.jpg

They can be hard to deal with because they scream and are very messy. Additionally, one of them doesn't like men and she'll fly and attack. That makes bring home a new boyfriend for the first time very problematic. She actually bit an X on the nose :oops:

I hear you on the retreat thing. I'm athletically challenged and somewhat introverted so I dread going to these things. I'll definitely be there though and hopefully I'll see you guys and the folks I met at welcome weekend. Maybe we should have an SDN get together of some sorts. I'd like to meet you guys but I feel like a dork going around "So, do you frequent SDN?"

Cute parrot ;) He (she?) does look a little menacing though.

I guess I will go to retreat since it seems like everyone else is going. I always was one to give in to peer pressure. The SDN get together sounds like a good idea, I'd definitely go if I'm in town (I'm in Nevada for a while).

To answer stitch's question, we had various team sports, swam a lot, and just hung out. No hiking was involved. However, the UTH flyer mentions community showers. Now when I was at Camp Allen we had 2-person rooms each with its own bathroom. So it may be a different type of deal. Anyways, I just avoided most of the sporting events and held court with a group of bitter malcontents while chain smoking at a picnic table. I suppose something similar might transpire this time.

What is everyone's vacation plans? I'm spending a weekend in San Francisco followed by 5 days in Yosemite. I just booked the cabin so I'm really excited even though I'm not going until the end of July/beginning of August. How about you guys?

Brain said:
What is everyone's vacation plans? I'm spending a weekend in San Francisco followed by 5 days in Yosemite. I just booked the cabin so I'm really excited even though I'm not going until the end of July/beginning of August. How about you guys?

None for me, I am working until I move to Houston. Fun times. San Francisco and Yosemite sound like fun though, I've never been to either.

Stitch626 said:
Maroneal Apts...moving in June 8. Can't wait!

hey, I 'm moving in there too..on June 9th. Maybe we could hang out...talk about, ummm....stuff. :oops:

PM me

Brain said:

I quit my job today and I'm moving up to Alaska to work for my buddy's landscaping business as soon as my two weeks are up. I plan on wrestling small, defenseless animals and hopefully work my way up to a bear by summer's end while consuming copious amounts of microbrew. So much for having the soles of my shoes melt to Houston concrete this summer :thumbup:

AJ

I am going to UTSW.. anyone want my very cool UT-H welcome weekend t-shirts?

I know this is REALLY early, but I was curious as to what book aids did current students find helpful in preparing for the Step 1 and for certain classes (e.g. First Aid, Board Review Series, etc...)?!? Thanks for the input. :)

SEUPATTY said:
Just out of curiosity. A poll of sorts....

Where is everyone living when school starts (those who have already decided)

I think I may be in the new student housing :thumbup:

new student housing here too...unit 4(?) i think.
i'll be in houston starting the first week of june so if anyone else is gonna be around feel free to message me

Stitch626 said:
To answer poll girl :p ...Just me and my cat. I've never lived alone before, but I think I'll appreciate the stress-free enviroment when exam time rolls along.

And to reply to the above post...I am totally feeling you on that one! I hate being forced to make friends. It's not that I don't want to meet people - it just seems like by the time I show up to these things there's already established cliques and that makes me feel insecure. Where's my therapist? Oh, and I hate the outdoors - or maybe it's the outdoors that hates me. What did y'all do when you were at Camp Allen (please don't say hiking!)?

maan am I the only one who's into doing things outdoors? I think retreat will be a lot of fun and outdoorsy activities are usually a GREAT way to get to know random people

and about pets...has anyone ever adopted a pet (small dog) from an animal shelter. i'll be living alone next year and after hearing someone come speak about pet shelters and the number of pets that are put to sleep every year and options for adopting pets on a temporary basis, I've started to kinda want to adopt one....any input?

thanks!

cluelesspremed said:
and about pets...has anyone ever adopted a pet (small dog) from an animal shelter. i'll be living alone next year and after hearing someone come speak about pet shelters and the number of pets that are put to sleep every year and options for adopting pets on a temporary basis, I've started to kinda want to adopt one....any input?

thanks!

Unfortunately, the student housing seems to not allow pets. I have a cat and (I wanted to bring her along so I asked the people in the leasing office). I may try to sneak her in though :)

Valtry said:
I know this is REALLY early, but I was curious as to what book aids did current students find helpful in preparing for the Step 1 and for certain classes (e.g. First Aid, Board Review Series, etc...)?!? Thanks for the input. :)
Like over a year and half too early. :p First aid is only useful your first 1.75 yrs as a possible pneumonic and what to learn first. You'll learn so much more than this book contains. Also don't go crazy taking notes all over it and then plan to actually use it for Step 1. You'll write in a ton of info that isn't necessary. Buy a used one from Half Price books and then get the current year version at xmas before you take the test. They do make improvements every year. I'm actually whiting stuff out of mine I wrote in during 2nd semester of this year and I'm glad I barely opened it till finals time.

Don't buy any books till you see what you get handed down. If you join AMSA (or something like that) you get a free Netter and I joined something that got me a free Stedman's (which I use ALL the time.) DO NOT GO OUT AND BUY EVERYTHING OFF THE BOOKLIST. I don't even know where you would find it if you were looking for it but you'll spend over $800 for the first semester. Syllabus is usually more than enough for class.

Things you will need for first semester:
Biochem - syllabus
Anatomy - syllabus
Histology - syllabus
Embryology - syllabus seeing a trend yet??? All of your test questions will come out of the syllabus. Another good investment is the old exam CD you'll be sent info about sometime this summer.

Other books you may want to consider:
Biochem - BRS (only really useful for the final and I'm not finding it useful for step 1) and Lipincott's seems pretty decent as a reference but I never used it. I would probably get this book if I had it to do again. OLD TESTS!!!
Embryology - don't really have anything to add, I opened my BRS once.
Histology - you'll only be tested on slides posted on the internet. you can buy a slide book of them when you start the course. don't waste your time looking through the microscope at stuff you won't be tested on. print out the slides and bring to lab if you go at all. I did 'lab' on my own and used a histo atlas to label the slides (what you need to know will be in the margin.) don't get the histo book. old tests.
anatomy - netter's and rohen. BRS is dry and crappy. I used netter's flash cards a bit but they are far from complete. lab manual - go over the stuff you will cover in lab before you go. lab time will then be study time instead of standing around with your head up your butt. I've used High Yield anatomy a bit for step 1.

you'll also need a Bates which is annoying but something you'll use from time to time.

ok, thats all for first semester. I'll do second semester lata.

Thanks for the input! I was just being a curious bee...have nothing else to worry about with school being done, so I can cross this off my list of nothing now! Again, thanks! :D

Anyone know of any furniture stores that have decent prices and deliver too?

I'm looking for a queen mattress around $500 and a couch around $500....

I don't want to fuss with a van and finding someone to help me move it.

Thanks

cluelesspremed said:
maan am I the only one who's into doing things outdoors? I think retreat will be a lot of fun and outdoorsy activities are usually a GREAT way to get to know random people

thanks!

I'm into the outdoors thing too. Retreat should be fun...

As for adopting a pet, yes, I've done that. I have a cocker spaniel that I adopted from Cocker Spaniel rescue a few years ago. Here is a link for a bunch of dog rescue organizations in the Houston area..

http://people.txucom.net/window/pure.htm

Hope that helps.. :thumbup:

cluelesspremed said:

thanks!

Nope, I go hiking almost every weekend in the North GA mountains. My boyfriend and I always do some hiking when I visit him in Nevada, and I'm taking a hiking vacation in the summer. I'm also into swimming and kayaking. However, I'm not into team sports which is probably what will be going on at the retreat.

cluelesspremed said:

thanks!

I've just had bad experiences while camping. The first time I went camping I got food poisoning. Lesson to all: don't eat potato salad that has been sitting around in 90 degree weather. It's the sickest I've ever felt in my life and just reminiscing makes me want to :barf:. Second time camping: caught in torrential rainfall. Unfortunately, someone forgot to close up the tent and because we were camped on a hill, all the cold water collected at my end - completely soaking my sleeping bag. Day two: stinging nettle, fell on a thorn bush, slipped on rock and fell in river. Nature has made it very clear to me that I need to remain indoors.

You should definitely get a pet from the Humane Society/SPCA! The cost is around $100 and the money goes to feed and care for the animals that haven't been adopted out yet. Also, if you adopt from there, at least you'll know you won't be getting a dog from one of those "puppy mills"....Or you can always get a cat. :)

Valtry said:
Thanks for the input! I was just being a curious bee...have nothing else to worry about with school being done, so I can cross this off my list of nothing now! Again, thanks! :D
yeah I know :) I took myself to Europe the summer before so I didn't sit at work surfing SDN. If I had, I would have been shopping for the same info. ;)

one thing to keep in mind about books. review books are short, sweet and to the point. almost too short to learn the info the first time or two you go through the info and are really processing everything and learning how it goes together, etc. after the 2nd time is a good time to flip through a review book casually (hell, even keep them by the toilet) because it focuses you in on the big main points quickly and then you learn the little side info the next time you go through the syllabus better. textbooks are dense and wordy. too wordy a lot of times and you just get dragged down into it and stop remembering what you're learning. this is why the syllabus is good, cuts out all the extra info that is just, well extra, lol. and besides, you will have NO time if you actually read the assigned reading.

you'll get a lot of advice about what to do and not do and you just have to do what works for you. I tried to give very standard info that most would agree with me on. Some people liked the embryo book for the pics or if they are into OB/GYN. I could do the 3-D images in my head from the pics in the syllabus and words but that just isn't some peoples strong suit. some people just feel compelled to buy a ton of books. everyone is different. I've found some books I've liked from reading SDN that I don't think anyone else in my school has used but people at other schools have really loved. (physiology)

a really good tip. the LRC has all the books. go check one out and flip through it and see if you like it before buying. you may also find you use one book for maybe 5pgs in it total. just go to the copy machine. the binders just get heavy and books are a big pain to carry on top of it. some people get the syllabus bound, other put it in binders. some get the opposite side of the page hole punched so they have a clean side on the right to take notes on.

one more point about Step 1 and then I'll stop. studying hard for your classes IS studying for Step 1 even if it won't all be covered in the test. it is also preparing you for the wards. I kind of kick myself every time I go to review something from first year I didn't do a good job learning.

TMC update in the Houston Chronicle. we already have a couple 3rd rotations at St Luke's (like cardiology as one month of IM.)

Does anyone know approximately how long it took for UT Link to post that they had received your transcripts after you had sent them?

KristenLS said:
Does anyone know approximately how long it took for UT Link to post that they had received your transcripts after you had sent them?
It took maybe a week. Though at first they had my record completely wrong,( wrong school, wrong degree) It took them a month to fix that:)

relema said:
It took maybe a week. Though at first they had my record completely wrong,( wrong school, wrong degree) It took them a month to fix that:)

Yeah, they have me scheduled to recieve a M.S. as my graduate degree when it's actually a MPH. These two degrees are not at all comparable. Do you think it's worth calling them about, or does it not matter anymore?

Brain said:
Yeah, they have me scheduled to recieve a M.S. as my graduate degree when it's actually a MPH. These two degrees are not at all comparable. Do you think it's worth calling them about, or does it not matter anymore?

I would call just to CYA, if nothing else.

Brain said:
I just send them an e-mail and they fixed the errors on my records. I think it is worth it to fix it.

RangerD said:
I'm into the outdoors thing too. Retreat should be fun...

As for adopting a pet, yes, I've done that. I have a cocker spaniel that I adopted from Cocker Spaniel rescue a few years ago. Here is a link for a bunch of dog rescue organizations in the Houston area..

http://people.txucom.net/window/pure.htm

Hope that helps.. :thumbup:

Hey guys,

thanks for all of the input on the pet situation...i'm still looking into it.

So is anyone else gonna be around the med school/med center at all this summer? I'll be around so let me know!

For the current students: are laptops really a must right away? I was thinking of getting one anyways, but I really didn't like any of those HP laptops that the med school is advertising to us. Any suggestions on when/where to look for new laptops?

Thanks!

I think I'm going to end up getting a Dell laptop closer to when school starts. If you watch the page at www.slickdeals.net they are always posting new coupon copes for Dell products. They recently had a $750 off coupon for any system priced 1499 or higher that I missed.

LanceP97 said:
I think I'm going to end up getting a Dell laptop closer to when school starts. If you watch the page at www.slickdeals.net they are always posting new coupon copes for Dell products. They recently had a $750 off coupon for any system priced 1499 or higher that I missed.

Although I am not going to the school anymore, I am still subscribed here. I just gotta say sorry Lance, I saw that coupon and pounced on it (700m with upgrades for $820 shipped!!!!), but I forgot to post it here. I meant to, but I was floating around giddy with the deal and petrified that my girl was gonna tear me a new one for spending money we don't have!

cluelesspremed said:
For the current students: are laptops really a must right away? I was thinking of getting one anyways, but I really didn't like any of those HP laptops that the med school is advertising to us. Any suggestions on when/where to look for new laptops?

Thanks!
not quite sure here since we were never required to get lap tops, but I'm thinking if you 'need' them now it is for neuro anatomy lab which isn't till the spring semester.

they were beta testing the program my year with 40 kids from my class and it was pretty good for learning the lab. :thumbup:

Status
Not open for further replies.