University of Texas Medical School at Houston Class of 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Slowsky

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Hey fellow UTHSC-H class of 2015ers. I figured it was about time we set up our own thread :)

Members don't see this ad.

Way to show initiative. Three months and some change till we can finally begin. Anyone have any extra-ordinary plans prior to our foreboding matriculation?

Way to show initiative. Three months and some change till we can finally begin. Anyone have any extra-ordinary plans prior to our foreboding matriculation?

I'm trying to figure that out myself. Thinking that I'll do another road trip around the western United States while I still can-- I've done a couple before. Camp in National Parks, crash on friends' and mutual friends' couches... avoid thinking about biochemistry. Maybe go work on my Spanish (and my surfing) on a beach somewhere. Brew some new beers.

Also: Find a roommate for my 2 bed/2 bath place down the street from UT Student Housing. I have a small (and quiet, well-behaved!) dog, so housing isn't for me-- if anyone is interested in living within 5 minute's walk of the UT shuttle for $5-600/month, let me know. It's a nice place, and it'll be all set up and ready to go by June.

I've lived in Houston for the last three years, so if anyone has any questions about neighborhoods or the city, lemme know. I'm excited to start, but am also thankful for the upcoming summer and the relatively late date of classes starting relative to my original match school.

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm trying to figure that out myself. Thinking that I'll do another road trip around the western United States while I still can-- I've done a couple before. Camp in National Parks, crash on friends' and mutual friends' couches... avoid thinking about biochemistry. Maybe go work on my Spanish (and my surfing) on a beach somewhere. Brew some new beers.

Also: Find a roommate for my 2 bed/2 bath place down the street from UT Student Housing. I have a small (and quiet, well-behaved!) dog, so housing isn't for me-- if anyone is interested in living within 5 minute's walk of the UT shuttle for $5-600/month, let me know. It's a nice place, and it'll be all set up and ready to go by June.

I've lived in Houston for the last three years, so if anyone has any questions about neighborhoods or the city, lemme know. I'm excited to start, but am also thankful for the upcoming summer and the relatively late date of classes starting relative to my original match school.

I've also been living in Houston for almost three years, just enjoying my freedom: savoring each carefree weekend. Trying to catch up on a few philo books, def not going to have any motivation to decipher Spinoza once biochem/anatomy combo becomes my life. New beers, eh? That's straight awesome, maybe plan to bring some for the Retreat. I second the beach time, plans to hit both coasts immediately prior to starting. Congrats on jumping off the waitlist, looks like our class is shaping up quite nicely. Might be planning a Sunday Funday soon for all the locals, I'll let you know if you're interested.

I hail from the Med Center. Ladies and gentlemen, 60 days until matriculation. A show of hands, who has already started USMLE prep?.... No one? Right on! Looks like we have a good class on our hands.

Hey guys,

I'm from out of state, so I'm not too familiar with Houston geography. I got accepted in late May, so by the time I could look into housing, University Housing was completely full with a 200 person waitlist. I've been surfing Craigslist, but I figured it'd be best to ask Houston natives. Any suggestions for where to find housing? Ideally, I want walking distance to school, but I'm okay with public transportation. Thank you!

Hey guys,

I'm from out of state, so I'm not too familiar with Houston geography. I got accepted in late May, so by the time I could look into housing, University Housing was completely full with a 200 person waitlist. I've been surfing Craigslist, but I figured it'd be best to ask Houston natives. Any suggestions for where to find housing? Ideally, I want walking distance to school, but I'm okay with public transportation. Thank you!

I've worked in Houston for the last 3 years, coming directly from out of state undergrad and having never lived in Texas until that point. imho if you found a place in Midtown near Main Street, you would be golden due to its proximity to the rail (a straight shot to the med center), grocery stores, coffee shops, and a very robust nightlife. I, myself, am moving there from the medical center before classes begin. West medical center, directly south of Rice Village, like the 7575 Kirby apartments, is a popular location. But you will be surrounded by everything medicine, and sometimes I find its good to get away from that atmosphere. Avoid anything east of Highway 288, east of Interstate 59 North, south of lower 610 loop, due to its sketchiness. Good luck and welcome to H-town.

Hi Everyone!

I very recently found SDN and I'm happy to see there is a school specific thread for UTH c/o 2015.

Quick background on me: I graduated from college in 2008 and have been living in Houston for the last three years...but for the last month I've been living in Clear lake as I had already moved in preparation to attend UTMB before I got accepted to UTH and decided to switch schools.

Hi everyone!

I am an out of state applicant and just got accepted in mid-June---YAY!!

So, I am currently looking for an apartment and would not mind sharing one with a fellow med student. I would prefer to be near the medical school, on the shuttle route and have easy access to the light rail because I am not familiar with Houston and do not own a car. Does anyone know of any female med students looking for an apartment? I have not yet signed a lease but I plan to do so and begin moving in by the last week of July.

Thank you in advance! :love:

Last edited: