UT Houston Class of 2009! part 01

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.
WW was a lot of fun! 160 people, that sounds like a really good turnout. I am so sunburned from welcome weekend, and I think a little hungover still. I am proud to say I was the last person to leave the pool party, and did so carrying a half-full keg on my back, so that it might not be wasted, like I was. Hadn't partied that hard in a while, also glad that only students were at the Lounge. If I said anything to anyone that would make them think I am not a nice person, I probably didn't mean it (standard disclaimer for days and nights like that). There is no way I will be able to keep up that sort of pace while I am in school, I am just too old now I guess. Now that I am back up in Connecticut, it is weird being the only person with some sun, much less a sunburn.

Ylime, I think we sat at the same table at the BBQ.

Members don't see this ad.

DeepCowboy said:
Ylime, I think we sat at the same table at the BBQ.

Yeah we did, I was just thinking about that yesterday! You're a cool guy! :)
See ya at Retreat.

::Seabass:: said:
mmm, don't want to rat it out on SDN since I know people who are applying this cycle are either reading this thread or will go back and read it later....lets just refer to it as the 'infiltration'

I heard your class didn't think it was as cool due to a littler website slip up or something like that from my class, but I know we have always had a lot of fun doing it in the past. hopefully it will be back in place next year. :)

That's kinda what I thought you were talking about...but I didn't know it was a tradition. I just thought it was something that your class did last year. Actually, I had been asked to be a part of that by some people in my class, but it never came to be :(

Members don't see this ad :)
PeterGriffin said:
That's kinda what I thought you were talking about...but I didn't know it was a tradition. I just thought it was something that your class did last year. Actually, I had been asked to be a part of that by some people in my class, but it never came to be :(

Am i the only one who doesn't understand all this code...'infiltration' ??

cluelesspremed said:
Am i the only one who doesn't understand all this code...'infiltration' ??

No, you're not alone. I don't have any idea either. :confused:

Emily

My sunburn on my face from Saturday is peeling and it's driving me crazy, not to mention the fact that it doesn't look so great!

Is anyone planning on buying a new laptop soon? I remember there being a flyer in our acceptance packet stating that several discounted HP models were going to be offered by the school - but I have not heard anything about this since. Lately I've seen ads for some good middle-of-the-line Dell computers going for about $1000 and I'm tempted to just buy one now.

And to anyone from Houston: do you know of any furniture stores in Houston with decent prices? I'm moving end of May and want to buy my furniture now (I'm looking for bedroom set, couch mainly) so I can have it delivered right after I move. The only stores I know of are Star Furn. and the Roomstore.

Thanks! :)

Ylime said:
My sunburn on my face from Saturday is peeling and it's driving me crazy, not to mention the fact that it doesn't look so great!

My face has been peeling like crazy the last couple of days. A guy in class today asked me if I had leprosy :eek:

Stitch626 said:
Is anyone planning on buying a new laptop soon? I remember there being a flyer in our acceptance packet stating that several discounted HP models were going to be offered by the school - but I have not heard anything about this since. Lately I've seen ads for some good middle-of-the-line Dell computers going for about $1000 and I'm tempted to just buy one now.

And to anyone from Houston: do you know of any furniture stores in Houston with decent prices? I'm moving end of May and want to buy my furniture now (I'm looking for bedroom set, couch mainly) so I can have it delivered right after I move. The only stores I know of are Star Furn. and the Roomstore.

I don't know how much of a "do-it-yourself" type of person you are; but Ikea has CHEAP furniture and it tends to hold up well for the price. The only problem is that you have to assemble a lot of it b/c it is flat-packed. Another Houston favorite is Gallery Furniture- they save u money!! They are ust a typical furniture store- based in Houston. Good luck!

arodzx said:
I don't know how much of a "do-it-yourself" type of person you are; but Ikea has CHEAP furniture and it tends to hold up well for the price. The only problem is that you have to assemble a lot of it b/c it is flat-packed. Another Houston favorite is Gallery Furniture- they save u money!! They are ust a typical furniture store- based in Houston. Good luck!

I second the Ikea idea. That store is awesome, although maybe not the best place for a sofa.

Theres something called "fingers" furniture which isnt too bad either.

PeterGriffin said:
I got about $29,000 in loans and about $3000 in grants for this school year. I don't remember when they were announced, but you don't get the money until sometime around the weekend before school starts. Some people didn't get there money until a week or so into classes.
Hey.. got a question for you.. how much money do you actually get back after tuition? That 32K you got.. was that before or after tuition? Thanks!

Stitch626 said:

yeah i was wondering the same thing...one of my friends who's into computers told me to wait it out though until about summer esp. for dells...that their prices drop around then. i've personally always got dells and dont even know anything about other brands now a days...anyone computer saavy here?

Members don't see this ad :)
bluerose said:
Hey.. got a question for you.. how much money do you actually get back after tuition? That 32K you got.. was that before or after tuition? Thanks!

the 32K was the total amount of my loan. They pay your tuition before they even give it to you though. And I got it split up into two payments. So I ended up getting around 10K each semester

PeterGriffin said:
My face has been peeling like crazy the last couple of days. A guy in class today asked me if I had leprosy :eek:

That's so funny! Has this person never had a sunburn in his life?!?! I would think it would be rather obvious that it's just a sunburn.

PeterGriffin said:

My scalp where I part my hair got burned. Now it's peeling and looks like I've got a bad case of dandruff :oops:

Are there any used furniture stores that deliver??

Does IKEA deliver?

Brain said:
My scalp where I part my hair got burned. Now it's peeling and looks like I've got a bad case of dandruff :oops:

The skin on my nose is blistering and it looks like a$$. So many people stare that I want to ask if they've ever seen a sunburn before.

Thanks, UT-Houston! :)

getunconcsious said:
The skin on my nose is blistering and it looks like a$$. So many people stare that I want to ask if they've ever seen a sunburn before.

A blistering nose sounds painful. Luckily, my stripes from my sunburn have faided away and my neck and arms no longer look I was creative with sunscreen.

getunconcsious said:

This morning I was peeling 2-3 inch strips of skin off my shoulder. Honest to god strips! The skin was surprisingly strong and it reminded me of seran wrap....with little pores on it. Now I have this white, scaly, cracked plaque on my arm that looks like psoriasis. When will it end????????????? :(

Stitch626 said:
This morning I was peeling 2-3 inch strips of skin off my shoulder. Honest to god strips! The skin was surprisingly strong and it reminded me of seran wrap....with little pores on it. Now I have this white, scaly, cracked plaque on my arm that looks like psoriasis. When will it end????????????? :(

Have any of you used aloe??

I have been most amazed by my LACK of peeling. Somehow, this aloe that I purchased at Walgreens is amazing. Both of my arms got burned bad. My shoulders never see the sun, but did that day so they were extremely bright red. I have been applying generous amounts of aloe since the night of the event and I have not peeled at all. To the contrary, my skin has darkened rather nicely and the little remaining redness is still alright. About 2 days ago my arms started to "bubble" after not using allow that day and after a shower (drying I presume), so I applied allow and went to sleep. The bubbling has disappeared and my skin is as intact and continuous as a sheet of aluminum.

I don't know why I am posting this other than the fact that I am SO amazed by the results.

I'm get sunburned a lot too. The best thing I have discovered to use is the blue aloe gel w/ LIDOCAINE. It takes away the pain of having a sunburn, and it moistens your skin so you won't peel as bad. Its amazing stuff. It doesn't matter which brand you use (the off brands are far less expensive) Hope this helps with everyone who got sunburned!

also if you pop an aspirin or anti-inflamm as soon as you realize a sunburn is going to happen you would lessen the severity of the reaction. and if you take something that only works 4hrs keep remembering to take it that often for a day or two.

SUNSCREEN people! EVERY DAY!!!!! this is Houston and we get a 9 or 10 UV index every day from here on out till rainy winter season. :)

jdovez said:
Have any of you used aloe??

I have been most amazed by my LACK of peeling. Somehow, this aloe that I purchased at Walgreens is amazing. Both of my arms got burned bad. My shoulders never see the sun, but did that day so they were extremely bright red. I have been applying generous amounts of aloe since the night of the event and I have not peeled at all. To the contrary, my skin has darkened rather nicely and the little remaining redness is still alright. About 2 days ago my arms started to "bubble" after not using allow that day and after a shower (drying I presume), so I applied allow and went to sleep. The bubbling has disappeared and my skin is as intact and continuous as a sheet of aluminum.

I don't know why I am posting this other than the fact that I am SO amazed by the results.

Yes! That is the aloe I'm using. (Does your bottle say 2/$5 or $2.99 each?) Not working here. :( Maybe it's expired?

Enough about damaged skin...is anyone moving into a new apartment soon? I'm moving middle of May and I can't wait!

Today (Apr 15th) is the day that scholarship recipients are supposed to be notified (this is for the institutional scholarships and the Nikaidoh one that required an essay). I talked to Marsha in the Student Affairs office and she said that as far as she knew, letters had not gone out. Recipients only are notified, and the notification is by letter. So she said if I don't get a letter, I could call her back next week to make sure. If any of you guys get a letter, it would great if you could post that. I am all the way in Connecticut, so you get letters faster, generally. If you want to call Marsha yourself next week cuz you didn't get a letter, her number is 713.500.5163. She's super nice.

also if you pop an aspirin or anti-inflamm as soon as you realize a sunburn is going to happen you would lessen the severity of the reaction. and if you take something that only works 4hrs keep remembering to take it that often for a day or two.

SUNSCREEN people! EVERY DAY!!!!! this is Houston and we get a 9 or 10 UV index every day from here on out till rainy winter season. :)

Congratulations on being done with classes FOREVER!!!

DeepCowboy said:
Today (Apr 15th) is the day that scholarship recipients are supposed to be notified (this is for the institutional scholarships and the Nikaidoh one that required an essay). I talked to Marsha in the Student Affairs office and she said that as far as she knew, letters had not gone out. Recipients only are notified, and the notification is by letter. So she said if I don't get a letter, I could call her back next week to make sure. If any of you guys get a letter, it would great if you could post that. I am all the way in Connecticut, so you get letters faster, generally. If you want to call Marsha yourself next week cuz you didn't get a letter, her number is 713.500.5163. She's super nice.

Thanks for the heads up!

Stitch626 said:
Yes! That is the aloe I'm using. (Does your bottle say 2/$5 or $2.99 each?) Not working here. :( Maybe it's expired?

Enough about damaged skin...is anyone moving into a new apartment soon? I'm moving middle of May and I can't wait!

2/5 baby, you know how we roll!!! I think they just put out the batch I bought that day ;)

I actually just got called yesterday about an apartment complex I am on the waitlist for, they had 2 apartments I could have had at the end of june, but alas, I am still unsure of my plans. I was excited by the thought of picking out a place and making a decision, but I think Ill just linger some more.

Which complex are you going into though? Its good to be excited!!!

Oh, and Deep thanks for the scholarship info, thats good stuff.

I'm moving into my place July 1st and was wondering what everyone is going to do once they move to Houston before school actually starts... I know I'm just going to take some time to get a feel for the city and hopefully get to know more people in the area.

jdovez said:
2/5 baby, you know how we roll!!! I think they just put out the batch I bought that day ;)

I actually just got called yesterday about an apartment complex I am on the waitlist for, they had 2 apartments I could have had at the end of june, but alas, I am still unsure of my plans. I was excited by the thought of picking out a place and making a decision, but I think Ill just linger some more.

Which complex are you going into though? Its good to be excited!!!

Oh, and Deep thanks for the scholarship info, thats good stuff.

My apartment-to-be is at the Maroneal. Sort of pricey, but I chose the smallest model (only 610 sq ft :eek: ) so the rent will still lie within my monthly budget. The place is a 10-15 minute walk to school (its near the corner of Main & Holcombe) and in a very safe (or lets hope so) residential neighborhood. Perks: catered breakfast every Saturday, free shuttle right around the corner, free movie rentals, extremely clean and quiet.

I'm watching a show about Jeffery Dahmer right now. Did you know he killed his first victim when he was only 18? Hmmm...I think I'll go lock the door now.

MadameLULU said:
just wondering- has UT-houston sent out fin. aid awards yet?

Not as of yet. I am still waiting to hear. I was told that they don't even review the fafsa until late this month, so I am unsure when they will make the awards.

On another note, the Maroneal is really nice, did you deal with the woman in the office who is very .......energetic....for lack of a better word (less PC I would say her eyes bug out and she looks like she's about to explode). Anyway, the place was nice, but a bit too pricey for us (needed the big 1BR).

On an other another note..I FINALLY peeled!!! Its very interesting. While playing basketball for multiple hours, I think the sweat was too much for my battered skin. The sweat actually got trapped underneath the dead skin and formed sweat filled "bubbles" all while Im running around playing ball......it was pretty damn cool!

Stitch626 said:
My apartment-to-be is at the Maroneal. Sort of pricey, but I chose the smallest model (only 610 sq ft :eek: ) so the rent will still lie within my monthly budget. The place is a 10-15 minute walk to school (its near the corner of Main & Holcombe) and in a very safe (or lets hope so) residential neighborhood. Perks: catered breakfast every Saturday, free shuttle right around the corner, free movie rentals, extremely clean and quiet.

I'm watching a show about Jeffery Dahmer right now. Did you know he killed his first victim when he was only 18? Hmmm...I think I'll go lock the door now.
Stitch, you'll be living right across the street. I'm in the subdivison across greenbriar.
If anyone needs help finding a place, my wife is a real estate agent and she'd be more than wiiling to help you out. PM me.

jdovez said:
On an other another note..I FINALLY peeled!!! Its very interesting. While playing basketball for multiple hours, I think the sweat was too much for my battered skin. The sweat actually got trapped underneath the dead skin and formed sweat filled "bubbles" all while Im running around playing ball......it was pretty damn cool!

Wow..I'm so proud of you! Well, well, it looks like your 2/$5 aloe didn't work so hot after all. :p As for me, I truly believe I'm going to get an infection from the obsessive picking at my skin.

I don't think I met the crazy woman you spoke of at Maroneal. That is too bad. Crazy people are a trip! Either that or really scary.

Stitch626 said:
Wow..I'm so proud of you! Well, well, it looks like your 2/$5 aloe didn't work so hot after all. :p As for me, I truly believe I'm going to get an infection from the obsessive picking at my skin.

I don't think I met the crazy woman you spoke of at Maroneal. That is too bad. Crazy people are a trip! Either that or really scary.

eh, I guess you get what you pay for, ALTHOUGH, I think if I would not have sweat so profusely, the aloe would have been proven in its worth if applied GENEROUSLY. On Tuesday at work I was shooting green flakes of dried aloe left and right. Good thing I didn't ruin any experiments!

As for the woman....I am sure you will meet her as you live there. The maroneal was definitely in the most posh area of all the places we looked at, but that woman was just too much. I was walking around with bug eyes and making fast non descript moves the whole rest of the weekend after meeting her (to screw with my gf).

Damn, the other school I am considering just sent me a letter that they have gone up in price by about 2 grand.......argh

OK, I don't know if anyone will respond or will want to respond. I want to take a little informal poll to give me some more info about some of the incoming class. If you don't want to answer you obviously don't have to, but this is strictly voluntary so please do not assault other people's views or whatnot. Curious?

OK, I am trying to gauge the political sway of the class somewhat. I want to know how many of you guys who are entering or are current students would describe yourself as liberal or more than liberal. I am most definitely more than liberal and was curious if there would be some if any likeminded people at the school. Again I SINCERELY appreciate any feedback and this info may help me to make a decision on how well I might fit into the school. Thank you in advance.

PeterGriffin said:
Congratulations on being done with classes FOREVER!!!
Thanks! :D

(though I hate to break it to you, we have class once a week during third year...)

Stitch626 said:
My apartment-to-be is at the Maroneal.
AHHHHHHH!!!!! I could have gotten a free month of rent off you!!!

ok, from now on, anyone going to look at the Maroneal PLEaSE pm me for my name so I get a referral if you live here. you'll save me so much moola and something pretty nice ($$$) will come your way from me too! :)

jdovez said:
OK, I am trying to gauge the political sway of the class somewhat.
Can't say what your class will be like but I can speak for mine which is actually about half and half and the more active people tend to be liberal.

Then again, just expect some things to be very conservative since this is Texas (views towards sex, marriage, etc.) It drove me wacko moving back and everyone seeming to be 22 and married. I'm 25 and still have no married friends from college and would say most of us don't want to head that way till 30ish+ and that was the feeling shared by most of the people I went to college with way back when.

I'd say I'm more liberal on social issues and more conservative on political ones.. if that helps any. Also.. If anyone is considering 7575 Kirby to live in mention that Lance sent you.. Just a shameless plug for myself for some free money.

Thanks! :D

(though I hate to break it to you, we have class once a week during third year...)

:eek:

by the way, were you in class on Friday?? I saw RJ carrying a cake on the bus and he said it was for the 10 people that were still going to class. When I walked by your lecture hall there was hardly anyone in there

THANK YOU!!!!! Everything I was gonna say. You rock Seabass! Aspirin by the first day, reapply sunscreen, and aloe for pain/ peeling. That way you lower your risk of skin cancer/ looking like you're 60 at age 30). :):) Thanks!!

PeterGriffin said:
:eek:

by the way, were you in class on Friday?? I saw RJ carrying a cake on the bus and he said it was for the 10 people that were still going to class. When I walked by your lecture hall there was hardly anyone in there
lol, I only went to class spring semester of MS1 and I'm still asking myself why I did that... I'm soooo not an auditory learner, I just zone out the whole time!

next time you see RJ tell him to sign his name in his own damn box! (lol, he keeps signing in mine since we have the same last name beginning)

fotolilith said:
THANK YOU!!!!! Everything I was gonna say. You rock Seabass! Aspirin by the first day, reapply sunscreen, and aloe for pain/ peeling. That way you lower your risk of skin cancer/ looking like you're 60 at age 30). :):) Thanks!!
well I did get to spend my winter break recovering from laser resurfacing and my mom just had an actinic keratosis removed from her nose :eek: I have been a sunscreen goddess for the last 4yrs or so and it has made a hUgE improvement in how my skin looks (I raged war on my skin with soccer.) I look at some of the girls in my class who are 2yrs younger and I know lay out or tan all the time and they already have skin that looks 35-40yrs old. i wonder if they notice....

well I did get to spend my winter break recovering from laser resurfacing and my mom just had an actinic keratosis removed from her nose :eek: I have been a sunscreen goddess for the last 4yrs or so and it has made a hUgE improvement in how my skin looks (I raged war on my skin with soccer.) I look at some of the girls in my class who are 2yrs younger and I know lay out or tan all the time and they already have skin that looks 35-40yrs old. i wonder if they notice....

hey why do UT students hate baylorites?

more_eschool said:
Don't come around our turf, ya hear!! Go back across the street before I cyber-woop yur butt, you whiny momma's boy!

Gee, that was fun.

DeepCowboy said:
Don't come around our turf, ya hear!! Go back across the street before I cyber-woop yur butt, you whiny momma's boy!

Gee, that was fun.

lol sounds like what gangs would say.

we are the two closest medical schools (physically speaking) in the US, can't we all just get along

more_eschool said:

Cuz Dr. Red Duke gets his dog to go pee on the Baylor sign. ;)

yeah! LaserZ! :)

Yeah, I knew gals my age with craters of crows feet from worshipping the sun for so long. :thumbdown:

Status
Not open for further replies.