USMLE - Official 2017 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jesus1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since there's no thread for the 2017 Step 2 CK, I figured I'd go ahead and create one. Happy new year in Step 2 CK land.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Step 1: 226 :(

UWorld 1st pass: 70%
Uworld Incorrect second pass: ~85%
UWSA1: 262 (1 week out)
UWSA2: 253 (4 days out)

Step 2: 263!!!
After step 1 and feeling absolutely horrible walking out of step 2 I was just hoping for average, so I am beyond thrilled

Step 1: used DIT, FA, Pathoma, Uworld. Too many resources and not enough questions by far (barely finished Uworld)

3rd year: Did mostly below-avg to average for my shelves, though I honestly did not study near enough. Ended on IM, only then began using Uworld and made it through about 80% of the medicine section before dedicated (still did below average on the shelf)

Step 2: Dedicated was 3.5wks, I took 1 day off each week otherwise studied, literally, every waking moment. I did not want to repeat my mistakes from step 1 so I used primarily Uworld. I did 100-150/day then made an Anki deck of topics I missed/didn't know. I used my old FA1 and my OME notes for reference. Towards the end, I skimmed through most of the Pocket Medicine book, which I found helpful to organize topics. I also read Secrets but I didn't find it as helpful as others.

Reactions: 5 users
Hi guys,
I (also my husband) got my CK score today.
I am an IMG, old graduate(2009), Have completed home residency(anesthesiology), NO US clinical experience
Step 1:255, CS-pass
CK- 259.
I am planning to couple's match with my husband. He is also an old graduate, completed home residency (radiodiagnosis), currently doing a fellowship in Canada.
His scores are, Step 1-254, CS-pass and CK-264
I believe that he is a strong applicant with many pubmed publications.
I really wanted to score 260+ in CK but couldnt. I am not working currently since i dont have a license here. Am i a weak applicant?
Is it a good idea to couple's match? (anesthesiology and radiology). I cant think of the idea of both of us going to different programs since i have a 3 yr old kid. Inspite of scoring a 259, I am terrified now.
Please give your suggestions

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi guys,
I (also my husband) got my CK score today.
I am an IMG, old graduate(2009), Have completed home residency(anesthesiology), NO US clinical experience
Step 1:255, CS-pass
CK- 259.
I am planning to couple's match with my husband. He is also an old graduate, completed home residency (radiodiagnosis), currently doing a fellowship in Canada.
His scores are, Step 1-254, CS-pass and CK-264
I believe that he is a strong applicant with many pubmed publications.
I really wanted to score 260+ in CK but couldnt. I am not working currently since i dont have a license here. Am i a weak applicant?
Is it a good idea to couple's match? (anesthesiology and radiology). I cant think of the idea of both of us going to different programs since i have a 3 yr old kid. Inspite of scoring a 259, I am terrified now.
Please give your suggestions

You are terrified with step 1 and 2 above 250? Rlly? ;p
You will be more than fine :) Apply wherever you want! Goodluck

congratulations!!
What do you think helped you the most?

Of the resources that I listed, definitely UWorld is the highest quality and helped me on more than just content. If you use it on random, 40-question blocks, it obviously helps with timing and confidence (both of which are huge components of a good test day). But taking a big picture perspective, I would say that my performance on Step 2 CK was really a culmination of a M3 year in which I worked a lot. Like anything in life, I don't think there's a silver bullet to get an awesome score. Hard work over a long period of time seems to work best.

Reactions: 1 user
You are terrified with step 1 and 2 above 250? Rlly? ;p
You will be more than fine :) Apply wherever you want! Goodluck
Thanks for your nice words. I am terrified because I am an old graduate and currently not practicing anesthesia. That's why I wanted to score 260+ but I couldn't. But my husband did. So I am afraid that I might be weakening his application

You are underestimating the struggles IMGs can go through...

I am an IMG. With Step 1: 239 and CK pending. I don't underestimate anything. The thing is, 250 and above is very rare and honestly, bitchin***g about it is not the way,

197 step I (was scoring 210-213 on nbme)-****ty period in my life while studying and after it.
239 USMLE step II !!!!!!
Uwsa I -238
Uwsa II- 211. Felt a bit off that day. Thank god it was just a fluke for me.
By far one of the most satisfying accomplishments of my life so far.
#youcandoit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 6 users
I am an IMG. With Step 1: 239 and CK pending. I don't underestimate anything. The thing is, 250 and above is very rare and honestly, bitchin***g about it is not the way,
Hi, honestly I wanted suggestions for couples match. Not complaining about my score. Since both Anesthesiology and radio diagnosis r both competitive, I wanted to know whether couples match is a good option.

I thought it was 3-4 Wednesdays?
If you took it on Monday/Tuesday, you get scores on the 4th Wed.
If you took it on Thur/Fri etc - 3rd.

It happened to me with Step 1. But yeah, who the f** knows.
I'll just have another sleepless night.

Hi!
I took it on August 22nd and didn't get my scores yet.
Next wednesday?

Step 1 score : 251
Took 17 days for step 2 studying only completing uworld once (didn't use it for third year). Didn't have time for incorrects. 79% random mode.
Step 2 CK: 254

Took the test yesterday. It felt like I took the wrong test from a different universe of medicine that had vaguely similar diseases. There was a block where for literally 80% of the questions I wasn't sure on any of the answers and guessed. I am pretty sure I scored 40-60% correct total and hoping for a pass.

UWSAs in the 250's. If I actually got a step 2 score in the 250's I will eat a bar of soap and post the video online.

Step 1: low 230's
Step 2CK: 255.

Welp, pick a brand guys.

Reactions: 13 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Step 1: 235
Step 2: 261

NBME 4 prior to studying:245
UWA1 2 weeks out: 257

Good luck to those who still await! It has def been a long wait, glad it's done!

Reactions: 2 users
Thanks for your nice words. I am terrified because I am an old graduate and currently not practicing anesthesia. That's why I wanted to score 260+ but I couldn't. But my husband did. So I am afraid that I might be weakening his application

I'm an almost "old graduate" with wayyyy lower Step 1 scores. So, I know the struggle but I'm telling you, YOU have nothing to worry about :)
Not sure about the couple's match, but maybe try to apply to different hospitals but separately? You don't have to work at the same hospital as long as it's the same city, no? Maybe this will help you :)

A friend of mine who took his test on 20 something of August got the email this morning. He'll check his score when he gets home. I find it strange that he got his score and you didn't.

A friend of mine who took his test on 20 something of August got the email this morning. He'll check his score when he gets home. I find it strange that he got his score and you didn't.

Yeah, me too :( There are also a few other people who wrote the exam on the same day as I did and they didn't get anything. I just hope it's not a bad sign, you know? I really can't think of anything that would make them release my score later

Yeah, me too :( There are also a few other people who wrote the exam on the same day as I did and they didn't get anything. I just hope it's not a bad sign, you know? I really can't think of anything that would make them release my score later
If there's anything I leaned, is to trust your UWSA2 score.

A friend of mine scores same on both UWSAs as me ended up with one point higher than me on the real thing.

If there's anything I leaned, is to trust your UWSA2 score.

A friend of mine scores same on both UWSAs as me ended up with one point higher than me on the real thing.

I REALLY HOPE SO!!! I'd be so so happy :) Fingers crossed! Thank you :)

I REALLY HOPE SO!!! I'd be so so happy :) Fingers crossed! Thank you :)

Each and single one of my peers who wrote the exam before September got their Step2CK score back. I am talking about n of 100+. You should call NBME and confirm there is no technical error or something.

USMD here.

Step 1: 235

Did UW twice and supplemented with SU2M. UWSA 1/2 and NBME 7 >250.

Step 2: 251

Just remember y'all: the permit means nothing

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 3 users
Each and single one of my peers who wrote the exam before September got their Step2CK score back. I am talking about n of 100+. You should call NBME and confirm there is no technical error or something.

I'm an IMG...Maybe it's different for us.
I just hope it doesn't mean anything bad.

well im another n who took it august 22nd and did not get it back.

Me too. Gave it on 21st of august and haven't got my result yet. Hope I get it next week.

I never post here, but have been continuously stalking as I neurotically waited for my Step 2 scores so thought I would share...
Step 1 : 233

NBME 6 (3 weeks out): 217
UWSA 2 (9 days out): 250
UWSA 1 (4 days out): 239
NBME 4 (4 days out): 237

Real deal: 255!! Thrilled! I did feel like my test was more similar to UWSA 2 than any other practice exam I took, so happy it correlated well.

197 step I (was scoring 210-213 on nbme)-****ty period in my life while studying and after it.
239 USMLE step II !!!!!!
Uwsa I -238
Uwsa II- 211. Felt a bit off that day. Thank god it was just a fluke for me.
By far one of the most satisfying accomplishments of my life so far.
#youcandoit

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
congrats on great score
can you share your preparation experience please
thank you

Another one of those people with pretty darn predictive UWSA results:

UWSA1: 254 (a week and a half before exam)
UWSA2: 253 (two days before exam)
2CK: 259. Felt moderately decent during the exam and thought it went ok. Happy with my score for sure!

Prepared with basically just U World questions for a dedicated three weeks and scattered Sketchy Micro/Pharm refreshers.

Step 1: 208 (eww)

UWSA 1: 243 (2 weeks out)
NBME 6: 241 (1 week out)

Real deal: 242 (right on the money)

Resources: Honestly I always found myself to be average in medical school (average on the exams, quizzes, etc.). Step 1 was a fluke for me. I had a melt down during the step 1exam and I am convinced it caused my score to plummet. Materials: keep it light and know it as best as you can. Uworld, OME, and half of memorang step 2 ck deck (its uworld and nbme rolled into a deck). Hindsight says I should have read all of Uworld secrets days before rather than try to 1 day before LOL.

Reactions: 4 users
Everyone got a score higher than UWSA1...
Incredible..
I got 255 on UWSA1, I just hope I get above 240 and I am happy!

YOU PRICK!!!! you were afraid of failing! :)
Very, very happy for you!
Congrats :)
To be completely honest, some part of me feels a little disappointed. My average UWSAs was 250 and I was hoping for 250+ (probably was looking for another miracle like the one I had on step1). However, if Dr. Peter Katsufrakis somehow offered me a 230 right after I took the test, I would have been thrilled with it; that's how terrible I felt during and after the test. I guess it's just that seeing people outperforming their practice tests makes me a little envious. With that said, I wouldn't change a thing. I am totally content with what I got and know that in the grand scheme of things, 245 or 250, combined with my step1, will have an identical outcome on my residency application process.

Reactions: 3 users
To be completely honest, some part of me feels a little disappointed. My average UWSAs was 250 and I was hoping for 250+ (probably was looking for another miracle like the one I had on step1). However, if Dr. Peter Katsufrakis somehow offered me a 230 right after I took the test, I would have been thrilled with it; that's how terrible I felt during and after the test. I guess it's just that seeing people outperforming their practice tests makes me a little envious. With that said, I wouldn't change a thing. I am totally content with what I got and know that in the grand scheme of things, 245 or 250, combined with my step1, will have an identical outcome on my residency application process.

Totally understand and yes, 245-250 - won't make a difference.
I'm still praying for a pass, so you know haha XD

I'll send you 2 bottles of vodka/wine/champagne or whatever you like if it happens :p XD

But yeah, I hope I did well.
Congrats again and I'm really happy for you!
Was gonna say shampoo, but then I remembered that I didn't meet my UWSAs average so I no longer need to.

Thanks and I'll keep following your updates to see how well you do.

Yeah, I feel ya. All my practice tests were so consistent - 252 on both NBME's, 254 on UWSA1 - yet I only got a 242 on the real thing. Even when you do decently, it's frustrating to work so hard and then underperform. I had been especially concerned about getting a high score because my step 1 wasn't that good and I'm still hoping for a shot at more competitive programs. I just hope they pay less attention to the actual score and look favorably on the fact that it's a significant improvement from step 1.

Took the test yesterday. It felt like I took the wrong test from a different universe of medicine that had vaguely similar diseases. There was a block where for literally 80% of the questions I wasn't sure on any of the answers and guessed. I am pretty sure I scored 40-60% correct total and hoping for a pass.

UWSAs in the 250's. If I actually got a step 2 score in the 250's I will eat a bar of soap and post the video online.

255!
Congratulations! We did not forget! Your choice!

Hey all! Posting for all the average achievers out there. These forums have been helpful to me for the past couple years so thought I would post my experience. Took exam in mid July.

Osteopathic student, prepped for 3.5 weeks with one full pass through UWORLD and one additional pass through missed questions, used MTB to annotate/refer to. The exam day felt horrible and I legitimately thought I failed. I made many stupid mistakes that I knew I messed up right as the blocks ended. I felt like I knew less than 50% of the questions confidently and truly thought I did worse than Step 1. I felt that the exam was harder than Step 1 because I felt like the questions were speaking another language with the wording that was used. I don't think it was knowledge lacking, but more poor test-taking/anxiety. I also ran out of time on the first block and had to blindly guess on 6 questions. I scored above average on all of my shelf exams except Surgery.

Uworld first pass, timed random- 66%
NBME 4- 2.5 weeks before test- 233
UWSA 1- 10 days before test- 240

Step 1: mid 230s
Step 2CK: 248!!!

Super stoked with my score! Best of luck to all of you still waiting. Just do your best and trust in your preparation. You can do it!

Last edited:
I totally get you. I'm waiting for my results but I'm hoping 245+ cuz I'm an IMG and applying for anesthesia. But then when I think about how my day went, I should be content somewhere in 230s. Got 250 and 236 in UWSA 1 & 2 respectively.
Guess it just makes us human when we think like that. We all wanna score well:) Guess I will be a mess when my results come out.

step 1: 244
step 2: 264

very happy with it :)

Did not take any practice tests. Prep was with UWorld

Last edited:
Reactions: 7 users
I never post here, but have been continuously stalking as I neurotically waited for my Step 2 scores so thought I would share...
Step 1 : 233

NBME 6 (3 weeks out): 217
UWSA 2 (9 days out): 250
UWSA 1 (4 days out): 239
NBME 4 (4 days out): 237

Real deal: 255!! Thrilled! I did feel like my test was more similar to UWSA 2 than any other practice exam I took, so happy it correlated well.
Congratulations!!
Very impressive improvement! Any tips/advice/strategies that you would recommend?

STEP 1 - 231
Uworld around 60% during M3 year, 80% during study time.
UWSA 1 - 261 a few days before
STEP 2 - 254

Only used Uworld and the UWSA 1 to study at a pace that let me get through all the questions once. Had 5-6 weeks of study time, ramping up the amount of questions each day towards the end. I would say the biggest thing that really helped me feel confident on test day was doing 3-4 sets of 40 questions a day in timed mode. It's really tempting to lollygag around in tutor mode, but I'd advise against it. I would do my 120-160 questions per day, review what I missed the next day, and then do 120-160 more. Wrote down what I missed / learned during review, although I didn't necessarily go back and read it. Rinse and repeat. I thought it replicated test day pretty well, and that way you don't get psyched out by immediate feedback of tutor mode if you miss a couple. Biggest thing is building up your endurance and confidence, the rest will fall into place.

Step 1 - 254
UWSA 1 (4 weeks before) - 236
UWSA 2 (1 week before) - 256
NBME form 7 (4 days before) - 230
NBME form 4 (3 days before with hopes of regaining confidence after 7) - 250

Step 2 CK: 262

Very happy considering I felt terrible coming out of that test and my practice exams were all over the place. I thought the behavioral/ethical questions were especially difficult and those are normally easier for me.

2 weeks of dedicated study time. Mostly just used UW - I used it to study for shelves throughout the year and then just repeated incorrect questions before the exam. Also quickly reviewed Groovernaculum's rapid review anki deck in the days leading up.