USMLE - Official 2017 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jesus1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since there's no thread for the 2017 Step 2 CK, I figured I'd go ahead and create one. Happy new year in Step 2 CK land.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
Thanks for creating this post.

Did anyone get result yesterday? (A lot of anxiety but been helpful reading about how most of us attest to the clueless or better still educated guess experience of the test)

I took my test January 31, when should I expect score back? Thanks

Took it 3/30. Got my score today. Step 2 ck: 250 (Got a 250 on step 1 last year).

UW 1st pass 70% (during M3). UW 2nd pass 84% (during dedicated).
UWSA1=252 (3 days before exam)

I walked out of that exam feeling like I straight up failed. I remember about 15 questions that I got wrong and numerous others that I was uncertain about. Had trouble focusing and sleeping the past 3 weeks due to constant reminders of things I may have messed up on during the exam. It was terrible. Felt much better coming out of step 1 than step 2. In the end, score turned out way better than I was expecting.

I valued reading other people's experiences on this forum (that did bring me ease at times). Overall, it is absolutely normal to feel terrible after this exam and many in fact do.

I am so glad this is over.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10 users
Took it 3/30. Got my score today. Step 2 ck: 250 (Got a 250 on step 1 last year).

I walked out of that exam feeling like I straight up failed. I remember about 15 questions that I got wrong and numerous others that I was uncertain about. Had trouble focusing and sleeping the past 3 weeks due to constant reminders of things I may have messed up on during the exam. It was terrible. Felt much better coming out of step 1 than step 2. In the end, score turned out way better than I was expecting.

I valued reading other people's experiences on this forum (that did bring me ease at times). Overall, it is absolutely normal to feel terrible after this exam and many in fact do.

Congratulations!

Taking my exam June 7. Anyone else taking theirs around this time? Just took NBME 3 a few weeks ago to see where I stand, but can't find much conversation about its utility and accuracy as a predictor online. Seems many people defer taking this practice exam, is there any particular reason?

Members don't see this ad :)

congratulations

What material did you use?

Hi all, so looks like the average goes up in step 2 ck compared to step 1. Does that mean it's easier? I am almost toward the end of my clerkship and feels like I am still not really prepared at all.

Hey everyone, just found out I passed step 1 yesterday so I'm extremely motivated to tackle the next beast. I'm stronger in clinical sciences but I haven't really been doing anything for CK since I just finished step 1. I'm not sure how much time I need or even what resources to use. I did fairly well on shelf exams (I'm a final year student US-IMG) and used OnlineMedEd (loved it). I guess the plan is to buy Uworld? OnlineMedEd videos and supplement with Step-Up?? I wish we had a UFAP type of thing for this exam.

Reactions: 1 user
Hi everyone,
First, I’m very thankful to all participants of 2016 Step 2 CK Thread for valuable advice and sharing their correlations. It helped me tremendously!
I scored 270+, received my score yesterday around 11 am EST
Background: IMG, have already done a residency in my home country, step 1 score 250+
Preparation time: 6 months, reading books – 3 months, Qs + SA – 3 months
Study materials:
onlinemeded lectures, Emma Holliday shelf review videos
Medicine: SU2M 4th ed.
Peds: Blueprints Peds 6th ed.
OB/GYN: Blueprints OB/GYN 6th ed.
Psych: FA for the Psychiatry Clerkship 3rd ed.
Surgery: Surgery: A Case Based Clinical Review
Qbanks done random timed:
Kaplan 69%, SA 1 74%, SA 2 83%.
UWorld first pass 81%. Second pass – only incorrects.
Assesments:
NBME 4: 258 2 months out, before UWorld
NBME 6: 262 1 month out, after UWorld
Clinical mastery series:
Neuro 1 (44/50) 2 (45/50) 3 (43/50) 4 (43/50) = 87.5%
Medicine 1 (47/50) 2 (44/50) 3 (43/50) 4 (47/50) = 90.5%
OBGYN 1 (43/50) 2 (47/50) 3 (45/50) 4 (47/50) = 91%
Peds 1 (42/50) 2 (47/50) 3 (43/50) 4 (48/50) = 90%
Surgery 1 (44/50) 2 (41/50) 3 (45/50) 4 (45/50) = 87.5%
Psych 1 (42/50) 2 (44/50) 4 (42/50) = 85.3%
Free 120 3 wks out 86%, found them hard
NBME 7: 264 2 wks out
UWSA 1: 267 (85%) 1 wk out
UWSA 2: 259 (80%) 3 days out
Good luck to everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 14 users
Very impressive, great work!

Did you find doing all of the clinical mastery series helped? I don't think i'll have enough time to do them all so wondering which would be of most value

Very impressive, great work!

Did you find doing all of the clinical mastery series helped? I don't think i'll have enough time to do them all so wondering which would be of most value

Thank you!
I found them very helpful. CMS questions seemed harder than in NBME, but were not as twisted as in UWSA. I've learnt a lot from them. If I had to choose, I wouldn't do Neuro ones (I don't remember a lot of them on the exam), Surgery (Qs on this topic were easy for me on the exam), but definitely do Psych ones. It may be wise to decide according your own strengths and weaknesses.
By the way, UWSA 2 contains at least 5 Qs from Surgery form 4, few CMS Qs are also scattered across Uworld Qbank.

Thank you!
I found them very helpful. CMS questions seemed harder than in NBME, but were not as twisted as in UWSA. I've learnt a lot from them. If I had to choose, I wouldn't do Neuro ones (I don't remember a lot of them on the exam), Surgery (Qs on this topic were easy for me on the exam), but definitely do Psych ones. It may be wise to decide according your own strengths and weaknesses.
By the way, UWSA 2 contains at least 5 Qs from Surgery form 4, few CMS Qs are also scattered across Uworld Qbank.

Were the CMS exams done during your board preparation or throughout the year? Also, is there any reason why you did not take NBME 3?

Congrats on the score!!

Were the CMS exams done during your board preparation or throughout the year? Also, is there any reason why you did not take NBME 3?

Congrats on the score!!

Thank you!
I was doing CMS exams during the last month of my preparation between NBME 6 and 7. I haven't taken NBME 3 because there isn't Expanded Feedback for this form. For me there isn't any sense in taking practice exam if can't find out which Qs I got wrong. For my wrong Qs in CMS and NBME I googled the topic and tried to figure out the right answer. So I used them not only as an assessment but also as a learning tool.

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you!
I was doing CMS exams during the last month of my preparation between NBME 6 and 7. I haven't taken NBME 3 because there isn't Expanded Feedback for this form. For me there isn't any sense in taking practice exam if can't find out which Qs I got wrong. For my wrong Qs in CMS and NBME I googled the topic and tried to figure out the right answer. So I used them not only as an assessment but also as a learning tool.

Looking back, would you have reordered any of your practice exams?

Looking back, would you have reordered any of your practice exams?

No, this order worked just perfect for me. It should be mentioned that I did CMS randomly 2 per day. And NBME 7 is not that scary after all CMS forms ))

Last edited:
Hi everyone,
First, I’m very thankful to all participants of 2016 Step 2 CK Thread for valuable advice and sharing their correlations. It helped me tremendously!
I scored 275, received my score yesterday around 11 am EST
Background: IMG, have already done a residency in my home country, step 1 score 254
Preparation time: 6 months, reading books – 3 months, Qs + SA – 3 months
Study materials:
onlinemeded lectures, Emma Holliday shelf review videos
Medicine: SU2M 4th ed.
Peds: Blueprints Peds 6th ed.
OB/GYN: Blueprints OB/GYN 6th ed.
Psych: FA for the Psychiatry Clerkship 3rd ed.
Surgery: Surgery: A Case Based Clinical Review
Qbanks done random timed:
Kaplan 69%, SA 1 74%, SA 2 83%.
UWorld first pass 81%. Second pass – only incorrects.
Assesments:
NBME 4: 258 2 months out, before UWorld
NBME 6: 262 1 month out, after UWorld
Clinical mastery series:
Neuro 1 (44/50) 2 (45/50) 3 (43/50) 4 (43/50) = 87.5%
Medicine 1 (47/50) 2 (44/50) 3 (43/50) 4 (47/50) = 90.5%
OBGYN 1 (43/50) 2 (47/50) 3 (45/50) 4 (47/50) = 91%
Peds 1 (42/50) 2 (47/50) 3 (43/50) 4 (48/50) = 90%
Surgery 1 (44/50) 2 (41/50) 3 (45/50) 4 (45/50) = 87.5%
Psych 1 (42/50) 2 (44/50) 4 (42/50) = 85.3%
Free 120 3 wks out 86%, found them hard
NBME 7: 264 2 wks out
UWSA 1: 267 (85%) 1 wk out
UWSA 2: 259 (80%) 3 days out
Good luck to everyone!
Congratulations on your awesome score!

Any reason you didn't do NBME 3? Also, do you think using a "comprehensive" review book (ie, MTB, FA) matters? Or QBanks are adequate if you did well on step 1?

Congratulations on your awesome score!

Any reason you didn't do NBME 3? Also, do you think using a "comprehensive" review book (ie, MTB, FA) matters? Or QBanks are adequate if you did well on step 1?

I haven't taken NBME 3 because there isn't Expanded Feedback for this form. For me there isn't any sense in taking practice exam if can't find out which Qs I got wrong. For my wrong Qs in CMS and NBME I googled the topic and tried to figure out the right answer. So I used them not only as an assessment but also as a learning tool.

Thanks!
It's funny that I asked for your advice 6 months ago at the beginning of my prep, and you never answered ))

I didn't find MTB "comprehensive" at all. I knew that cholesterol guidelines changed in 2014, and compared this topic in SU2M and MTB. Than I compared couple topics more, and every time MTB was inferior, IMHO. I didn't mind to read a little bit more books. I graduated long time ago, and needed relevant and up-to-date information. If you are a student, and your med school teaches you well, maybe QBanks are all you need. Can't say anything regarding FA, never opened it.

Thanks!
It's funny that I asked for your advice 6 months ago at the beginning of my prep, and you never answered ))
Really? I haven't taken (or even started studying for) Step 2, so I'm not sure how I could have helped, but where/when did you ask for my assistance?

EDIT: I see your message now - so sorry that I didn't respond! I really can't think of any other reason why I didn't, other than that I really don't have much advice to offer about the test since I haven't taken it, and thus have such minimal experience with it! Anyway, thanks for responding and again congratulations on your fantastic score!

Really? I haven't taken (or even started studying for) Step 2, so I'm not sure how I could have helped, but where/when did you ask for my assistance?

EDIT: I see your message now - so sorry that I didn't respond! I really can't think of any other reason why I didn't, other than that I really don't have much advice to offer about the test since I haven't taken it, and thus have such minimal experience with it! Anyway, thanks for responding and again congratulations on your fantastic score!

No hard feelings ))

For any question writer who is reading this forum.. it is clearly confusing English usage to write out numbers above 10. It is also not the standard practice in the hospital... unless you care to give examples of when it is?

Just a side question I know this is an experience thread but, 1 read of Kaplan LN and MTB2 + Uworld good enough?/ Given recently took step 1 and is currently doing residency in home country good enough for CK?

Thanks to all previous posters at SDN who provided their experience and suggestions on study strategies.
My bio: an old graduate, working full time in a non-clinical field, with spotted study time 3-4 hours a day (before and after work and before going to sleep)

My take is the following: a good learning plan (read all relevant SDN posts) and NBME testing are a must.

Here is my experience:

- Read quickly MTB, Step up the medicine (6 months before)
- Kaplan Q-bank, random, timed, one time and then incorrect questions - (5 months before)
- NBME form 3 - 232 predicted (3 months before)
- NBME form 4 - 218 predicted (3 months before)
- USMLE World, random, timed, one time - 76% (2 months before)
- Have read quickly Kaplan CK 2017 notes (3 weeks before)
- NBME form 6 - 249 (2 weeks before)
- USMLE World, random, timed, incorrect only (a week before)

> USMLE Step 2 CK - 259

(NBME form 7 - 239, a day after the CK exam; purchased but did not have time to take it before the actual CK exam)

Reactions: 5 users
Thanks to all previous posters at SDN who provided their experience and suggestions on study strategies.
My bio: an old graduate, working full time in a non-clinical field, with spotted study time 3-4 hours a day (before and after work and before going to sleep)

My take is the following: a good learning plan (read all relevant SDN posts) and NBME testing are a must.

Here is my experience:

- Kaplan Q-bank, random, timed, one time and then incorrect questions - (5 months before)

> USMLE Step 2 CK - 259

(NBME form 7 - 239, a day after the CK exam; purchased but did not have time to take it before the actual CK exam)

Wait ... you took an NBME the day AFTER your exam?

Can you please explain why, I'm genuinely curious.

Reactions: 1 users
Wait ... you took an NBME the day AFTER your exam?

Can you please explain why, I'm genuinely curious.

I bought two test 2 weeks before the exam. In the last 4 days before the exam, I decided to skim through the text book and my notes rather then spend time on the last NBME test. Think of the following, NBME test shows your weak areas. What is the rational to know your weak areas if you do not have time to correct the issue? I had a good score on the most recent NBME form, and preferred to enter the exam room with a piece in mind. I think NBME form is a predictor of a score late in the study, and a useful guide to estimate the study time at the beginning of a study period. Educational value diminishes at the end of a study period.

I am not an exception in having been asked multiple times 'so, how do you feel? Do you think you have passed?' I reply with the same old 'there is no correlation of your feelings. I had a good learning plan (thanks to SDN!), and NBME forms predicted a passing score.' I guess it was my 'suppression' defence mechanism kicked in... However, I was very curious after the exam. As I said earlier, I have already purchased the NMBE form. Another data point predicting the actual score in the waiting period helps keep cool and calm. NMBE is just a tool in everyone's disposal.

I almost went ahead an purchased an NBME after Step 1 so I feel what you're saying

It would almost be like a peek at your results early

I found all UWSAs and NBMEs to be predictive and representative for step 1. What is the verdict for step 2? Which are: more similar to the real deal in terms of difficulty/content? more correlative/predictive? NBME or UWSA?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Here is my experience:

> USMLE Step 2 CK - 259

Congratulations on the great score. And thank you for your insight.
Do you recommend Kaplan notes ? and how long did it take you to go through them ?

Step 2ck results

Nbme 4-233. 5 weeks out before uworld Qbank

Nbme 3-239 3 weeks out
Nbme 6-250 2 weeks out
Nbme 7-235 1 week out

Uwsa 1-255 1 week out
Uwsa 2-263 4 days out

Uworld Qbank- did once during third year forget the average. Did a second time during the study period-84%

Step 2ck259

Nbme 7 is a very poor predictor. Best predictors were the uwsa 1 and 2

Reactions: 2 users
Step 2ck results

Nbme 4-233. 5 weeks out before uworld Qbank

Nbme 3-239 3 weeks out
Nbme 6-250 2 weeks out
Nbme 7-235 1 week out

Uwsa 1-255 1 week out
Uwsa 2-263 4 days out

Uworld Qbank- did once during third year forget the average. Did a second time during the study period-84%

Step 2ck259

Nbme 7 is a very poor predictor. Best predictors were the uwsa 1 and 2
Great score, congrats.

Aside from UW, what other sources did you use/recommend?

Great score, congrats.

Aside from UW, what other sources did you use/recommend?

I really only used uworld. I learn by doing questions. Reading Master the boards was too passive for me. I only used MTB as a reference if a uworld explanation wasn't sufficient.

Uworld was the only resource I used third year too.

I really only used uworld. I learn by doing questions. Reading Master the boards was too passive for me. I only used MTB as a reference if a uworld explanation wasn't sufficient.

Uworld was the only resource I used third year too.
Thank you. If you don't mind, how did you do on step1?

Had the pleasure of experiencing NBME 7 today.
when-your-mom-says-yaass--full.jpg

Also took UWSA 1 - totally agree with cheetah

Took Step 2 CK today. Man, what a tough exam. Already thinking of all the questions I got wrong, and even a few that I can't remember if I changed the answer from right to wrong. Driving me insane.

Took Step 2 CK today. Man, what a tough exam. Already thinking of all the questions I got wrong, and even a few that I can't remember if I changed the answer from right to wrong. Driving me insane.

Congrats on being done!

Similar or different than uworld? What would you do differently if given more time? Recommendations for someone taking it in 2 weeks?

How long does it take for scores to be reported? If I took my test yesterday 5/25, when should I hear back?

Congrats on finishing.

You are allowed to obsess over it for one night only. Now you need to pull your act together and study OMM. Destroy COMLEX!

Congrats on being done!

Similar or different than uworld? What would you do differently if given more time? Recommendations for someone taking it in 2 weeks?

Thanks. Very similar to UW in terms of length of stems and difficulty. The single best thing that helped me was my endurance. I feel like I finished my last block strong, and probably could've done a couple more if I needed to. Stamina is huge, keeps you sharp. Make sure you rest your eyes on your break, not just use the bathroom. And I got a good nights sleep vs Step 1 where I slept a 4-5 hours. Helped a lot too.

Congrats on finishing.

You are allowed to obsess over it for one night only. Now you need to pull your act together and study OMM. Destroy COMLEX!

Thanks, man.

I already took COMLEX on the 8th haha.

Thanks. Very similar to UW in terms of length of stems and difficulty. The single best thing that helped me was my endurance. I feel like I finished my last block strong, and probably could've done a couple more if I needed to. Stamina is huge, keeps you sharp. Make sure you rest your eyes on your break, not just use the bathroom. And I got a good nights sleep vs Step 1 where I slept a 4-5 hours. Helped a lot too.

Thanks, man.

I see. Then you can obsess all you want:p

Thanks, man.

So how much caffeine did you have throughout the day??? haha

Took the beast recently. It was tough no doubt. Essentially studied for a month. I went through UWORLD once and then redid my incorrect questions. I supplemented UWORLD with MTB2. Scored a 250+ on Step 1 and I am hoping for something similar on Step 2ck.

Thanks, man.

What did you think about COMLEX?

The exam was brutal. I can think of two or three stupid mistakes I made.

I'm bracing myself for a bad score.

The exam was brutal. I can think of two or three stupid mistakes I made.

I'm bracing myself for a bad score.
2-3 stupid mistakes? Lol...I'm thinking more along the lines of 20-30 at least. Even 30 wrong is 90% correct. I'm sure you'll be fine.

Sent from my LG-TP260 using SDN mobile

Reactions: 1 users