Dedicated time to study for Step 2 CK?

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

docren004

2+ Year Member
Reaction score
In the post-Step 1 pass/fail era, how much dedicated study time are students normally taking to prepare for Step 2 CK after third-year rotations? What is normal these days? What is ideal?

Of course, everyone is different, and third-year rotations with shelf exams is year's worth of excellent preparation for Step 2.

I think the addage used to be that you need 2 months to prepare for Step 1, 2 weeks to prepare for Step 2, and a number 2 pencil to prepare for Step 3, but I am guessing this has probably shifted a bit since Step 1 went pass/fail.

Members don't see this ad.

My school is giving us 4 weeks between our last 3rd year rotation and our first 4th year rotation. I think they wanted us to only take about 2-3 weeks of dedicated. Personally, I’m taking a little more time, might move my test date up if I’m feeling more confident when it gets closer.

See if you have the option to either do an easy elective last or something similar. I basically had 8 weeks dedicated for that reason