USMLE - Official 2017 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jesus1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since there's no thread for the 2017 Step 2 CK, I figured I'd go ahead and create one. Happy new year in Step 2 CK land.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
I took it 8/21 so assuming people who took it 8/17-8/19 have gotten their results, I’m assuming it’s this upcoming Wednesday. Honestly worried because my print permit button is still there :(
Print permit doesn't go away until a few days before in some cases unless your eligibility expires, then it'll be gone at the 31st of whatever month.

Members don't see this ad :)
I took it 8/21 so assuming people who took it 8/17-8/19 have gotten their results, I’m assuming it’s this upcoming Wednesday. Honestly worried because my print permit button is still there :(

I took it on Aug 15th and my permit is still here... :/

I took it on 8/21 too.. let's pray to God that it comes out this Wednesday!! And about permit, I guess it doesn't make any difference with the results. My step 1 & CS results came out on expected days even though the permits remained.

Reactions: 1 users
Let's hope even you get it this week Joanna. Can imagine how hard added sleepless nights can be!

It's been awful. I convinced myself million times that I failed. Ugh.

Btw, I called ECFMG (for IMGs) and was told that AS OF NOW there is no correlation between the CK permit and the score release or pass/fail.

Anyway... The wait is awful.

User @alexpack26 has been warned and post removed (as well as quoted material) for inappropriate content. This is a reminder to keep your posts professional and civil. Hate speech and racist remarks are not tolerated on SDN.

Reactions: 11 users
NBME 4: 226 (3 weeks)
NBME 6: 252 (2 weeks)
NBME 7: 230 (3 days)
UWSA 1: 250 (1 week)
UWSA 2: 240 (2 days)

Step 2CK: 253

UWorld is where it's at. I was pretty nervous because my first pass of UWorld was ~60%, but I guess I learned from my mistakes. NBME's are a waste of money. FA ck is crappy, MTB is even worse. I wasted time even flipping through these books. There was surprisingly quite a bit of material from Step 1 on my exam, however I don't think "studying" FA step 1 is necessary at all. UWorld is simply the best and only resource needed.

Reactions: 4 users
Resources used and advice for the kids?
Congrats on the score!!

Thank you,

Did all of uworld once throughout 3rd year then did it all a 2nd time in 3 weeks. Also did almost all the incorrects within that time period. No books(I tried both mtb & fa and read 1 chapter in each but I felt it was much lower yield than uw so i decided to focus on uw).

I also did NBMEs for practice.
1st nbme 7(days after uwsa1) 250.
2nd nbme 6(days before uwsa2) 260.

I'm going to say I don't think uworld is all you need. It's just the only decent resource out there right now. Hopefully someone makes a better review book, but I'm going to say only 60% of my exam was uworld material. The other 40% was just educated guessing.

I'm going to say I don't think uworld is all you need. It's just the only decent resource out there right now. Hopefully someone makes a better review book, but I'm going to say only 60% of my exam was uworld material. The other 40% was just educated guessing.

I agree. To me it was Uworld, Onlinemeded, Step 1 and LOTS OF EDUCATED GUESSING.

Reactions: 3 users
Members don't see this ad :)

What other source would you use for the other 40%? I agree with you completely about the exam only being 60% UWorld material but I think 60% is the maximum level of preparedness you're going to get on this test unless you somehow have a background in the random things they ask you. That's what sucks about step 2 ck.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
NBME 4: 226 (3 weeks)
NBME 6: 252 (2 weeks)
NBME 7: 230 (3 days)
UWSA 1: 250 (1 week)
UWSA 2: 240 (2 days)

Step 2CK: 253

UWorld is where it's at. I was pretty nervous because my first pass of UWorld was ~60%, but I guess I learned from my mistakes. NBME's are a waste of money. FA ck is crappy, MTB is even worse. I wasted time even flipping through these books. There was surprisingly quite a bit of material from Step 1 on my exam, however I don't think "studying" FA step 1 is necessary at all. UWorld is simply the best and only resource needed.
congratulations!!
How was ur step 1? IMG/AMG?
any supplement you recommend to UW?

congratulations!!
How was ur step 1? IMG/AMG?
any supplement you recommend to UW?

I'm a DO, Step 1 242. I did really like onlinemeded but I found out about it pretty late. I think it's a great resource to get the big picture, but it's probably not for everyone.

Can't be spoon fed the answers either. I think >90% of my exam was educated guessing while <10% was recalled directly from uw. The point is uw gives you the base plus teaches you to look for the important details in the Qs.

Reactions: 1 user
Got score back from 8/16 exam this past Wednesday

Step 1: 245, UWorld first pass during third year: 71% correct, UWSA1 (1week out): 257, Step 2CK: 253

Had about 2 weeks to study for and take Step 2. Mostly just went through UWorld as much as I could during that time, but I would say I only got through about 1200 questions on my second pass. Also read Step 2 Secrets, and flipped through some sections of MTB. However, I would say I devoted the overwhelming majority of time to UW. Decided not to do any other tests besides UWSA1, which I took 1 week out. Thought about doing UWSA2 4 days out, but I didn't want to get discouraged if it went poorly so close to test day.

I would say I felt that the test was quite difficult. Lot of questions came down to 50/50 choices for me, was surprised at some of the stuff they chose to focus on. Some stuff on there that I had legitimately never heard of before. I think a big thing for me was endurance on test day. Lots of caffeine during breaks, and just trying to not get thrown off when you realize you got a question on a previous block wrong. Anyways, I was hoping to get close to my UWSA1 score and I did, so pretty pleased overall. Good luck to everyone else still waiting on scores, thanks for all of the advice and input from this thread!

Thought I would add my studying experience to the thread because reading about all yours has helped me a lot along the way.

I had 5 weeks dedicated study time then ended up postponing the exam for a week for family reasons and took it a week into my surgery subI, which was not ideal. I didn't actually study at all the last 5 days because I was so busy with the subI.

I took 4 practice exams in the following order (and as you can see, did progressively worse, lol!), each one week apart. Didn't take any practice exams within a week of the real exam.

NBME 6 - 290
NBME 7 - 279**
UWSA1 - 274
UWSA2 - 270

**Final score was 278, which makes NBME 7 the best predictor for me. However, my score was almost exactly the average of the 4 practice exam scores.

What I used:

- Studied very hard for shelf exams. I think this was the best preparation for me. I've posted about how I prepped for most of these in the respective shelf forums. I averaged 93.5 raw score. I used different specific resources for each, but for all of them I used U World, Online Meded, the Texas videos, Firecracker, and my own flashcards that I made from other resources. I also did most of the practice NBMEs.
- Did a second pass of U World during dedicated plus my incorrects. Because I delayed a week, I got through another 20% of a third pass for lack of ideas of what else to study
- Rewatched about 50% of the Online Meded videos
- Rewatched the Texas videos
- Continued to do about 300 flashcards a day from my shelf study decks
- Read MTB but hated it. Could have done without it. Not nearly enough detail and many factual errors, especially the OB/gyn section.

For those interested in U World scores:

1st pass (during shelf study): 86%
2nd pass (during dedicated): 92%
3rd pass (only did 20% and probably didn't gain much from it): 98%

Of note, I took CS a week before I took CK so I was studying for that at the same time. I posted about how I felt coming out of CK in this thread previously, but the short version is that I felt fine overall but some questions were bizarre.

Reactions: 9 users
Since it helped me during the waiting period to see correlations between practice exams and the real thing....

Step 1- 216

UWSA1- 234
UWSA2- 243
Step 2- 246

Thought I would add my studying experience to the thread because reading about all yours has helped me a lot along the way.

I had 5 weeks dedicated study time then ended up postponing the exam for a week for family reasons and took it a week into my surgery subI, which was not ideal. I didn't actually study at all the last 5 days because I was so busy with the subI.

I took 4 practice exams in the following order (and as you can see, did progressively worse, lol!), each one week apart. Didn't take any practice exams within a week of the real exam.

NBME 6 - 290
NBME 7 - 279**
UWSA1 - 274
UWSA2 - 270

**Final score was 278, which makes NBME 7 the best predictor for me. However, my score was almost exactly the average of the 4 practice exam scores.

What I used:

- Studied very hard for shelf exams. I think this was the best preparation for me. I've posted about how I prepped for most of these in the respective shelf forums. I averaged 93.5 raw score. I used different specific resources for each, but for all of them I used U World, Online Meded, the Texas videos, Firecracker, and my own flashcards that I made from other resources. I also did most of the practice NBMEs.
- Did a second pass of U World during dedicated plus my incorrects. Because I delayed a week, I got through another 20% of a third pass for lack of ideas of what else to study
- Read MTB but hated it. Could have done without it. Not nearly enough detail and many factual errors, especially the OB/gyn section.

Of note, I took CS a week before I took CK so I was studying for that at the same time. I posted about how I felt coming out of CK in this thread previously, but the short version is that I felt fine overall but some questions were bizarre.
Well done! What did you score on step 1?

Well done! What did you score on step 1?
Low 260s, quite a bit lower than my practice test average actually. What's interesting is that my step 1 score report had asterisks to the right of almost every subsection while my step 2 score report only had one, yet I somehow did a bit better percentile-wise. Not sure how that happened, but I'll take it!

NBME 6 - 290
NBME 7 - 279**
UWSA1 - 274
UWSA2 - 270

What I used:

Hey bro, can you please share your flashcards with me? Im assuming you made them on Anki or an app of that sort?
[email protected]

This is my first post. I took my CK exam on Aug 23rd. My permit is still visible and hopefully I get my scores this Wed Sept 13th. I went over online med Ed twice along with the videos and did uworld twice. MTB 3 for Peds. Total study time was 10 weeks. My practice exams were all over the place in order.

UWSA2: 214 (I really didn't get good sleep the night before and wasn't really focused and wanted to stop after the 2nd block but went ahead and just wanted to get through the questions and didn't think through the answer choices)
NBME4:220
Nbme6: 222

1 week before the exam
Nbme 7:235
Uwsa 1: 243
FRED 120 online: 80%

Real exam day I felt it was more like NBME practice exam than uworld or uwsa. I felt 50% of every block were straightforward and 25% wtf and 25% it was 50:50. But overall when I got out of the exam I didn't feel it was impossible and at least passed (Idk if this is a good thing) but there were few blocks about 3-4 blocks I had to guess on last 2-3questions because some of the questions in those blocks required lot of thinking and didn't wanna fall for the trap.

Really don't know what score to expect but just have a feeling I passed. But I just hope I got over 230+ .

Anyone waiting for scores this week who took it during the week of 8/21

This is my first post. I took my CK exam on Aug 23rd. My permit is still visible and hopefully I get my scores this Wed Sept 13th. I went over online med Ed twice along with the videos and did uworld twice. MTB 3 for Peds. Total study time was 10 weeks. My practice exams were all over the place in order.

UWSA2: 214 (I really didn't get good sleep the night before and wasn't really focused and wanted to stop after the 2nd block but went ahead and just wanted to get through the questions and didn't think through the answer choices)

1 week before the exam

Real exam day I felt it was more like NBME practice exam than uworld or uwsa. I felt 50% of every block were straightforward and 25% wtf and 25% it was 50:50. But overall when I got out of the exam I didn't feel it was impossible and at least passed (Idk if this is a good thing) but there were few blocks about 3-4 blocks I had to guess on last 2-3questions because some of the questions in those blocks required lot of thinking and didn't wanna fall for the trap.

Really don't know what score to expect but just have a feeling I passed. But I just hope I got over 230+ .

I took it on the 23rd as well, which was a wednesday. So does that mean 3 wednesdays from then or 4?

I took it on 8/15 and still haven't gotten the survey email or my score back. This Wednesday will be the 5th Wednesday....

1 week before the exam

Even I gave on 8/21. Hoping the result comes on 13th.

I took it on 8/15 and still haven't gotten the survey email or my score back. This Wednesday will be the 5th Wednesday....

Hopefully you get it this week! I don’t think I got any survey either but I literally just noticed my permit disappearing an hour or two ago although that might just be speculation for when the score is coming.

Hopefully you get it this week! I don’t think I got any survey either but I literally just noticed my permit disappearing an hour or two ago although that might just be speculation for when the score is coming.
I don't think it has anything to do with the permit. Mine disappeared even before last Wednesday. In most probability we will get the result this coming Wednesday.. Let's keep our fingers crossed

Usually its been the case, when your window period is not over then the permit disappears a week or few days before the Wednesday of the score release. It doesn't mean pass or fail but just lets you know that you're scores are going to come out the following Wed. All the best to everyone.

1 week before the exam

I had exact same experience, took it on Aug 15, felt it like NBME, with almost 50% of qs were straight forward and 25% were wtf lol and 25% were average. Ethical wss were difficult. Over all i think i passed with an average score. This Wednesday will be a good wednesday hopefully for all of us.
Nbme 3 is 235
Nbme 6 is 265
Nbme 4 is 262
Uwsa1 is 250 or 248 i forgot. Sorry
Uwsa2 was 200
did both uwsa as an 8 hours test one day before the real deal.

I had exact same experience, took it on Aug 15, felt it like NBME, with almost 50% of qs were straight forward and 25% were wtf lol and 25% were average. Ethical wss were difficult. Over all i think i passed with an average score. This Wednesday will be a good wednesday hopefully for all of us.
Nbme 3 is 235
Nbme 6 is 265
Nbme 4 is 262
Uwsa1 is 250 or 248 i forgot. Sorry
Uwsa2 was 200
did both uwsa as an 8 hours test one day before the real deal.

From what I have have seen at least within my friends circle, NBME 4 and 7 were good predictor and UWSA1 for some it was right on target for others they got lil less than that.

I personally felt the real exam was easier than UWSA 2 or maybe by doing all these practice exams and uworld we learned from the mistakes. Overall just hoping I got 230+ the very least.

From what I have have seen at least within my friends circle, NBME 4 and 7 were good predictor and UWSA1 for some it was right on target for others they got lil less than that.

I personally felt the real exam was easier than UWSA 2 or maybe by doing all these practice exams and uworld we learned from the mistakes. Overall just hoping I got 230+ the very least.

Do you think 230+ is considered a decent score? I know its well below average - I got a 232 and I am quite disappointed.

Do you think 230+ is considered a decent score? I know its well below average - I got a 232 and I am quite disappointed.

A solid score would be 240+ or pretty much anything above avg. But the very least 230+ is still competitive and safe. But it also depends on what specialty you wanna go into. By looking at your id I assume you wanna go into neuro. I think you should be fine.

I know a handful of my friends who scored in the 215s and low step 1 matching into IM residency without trouble and that too Carribbean. Also my other friend who got a 238 on CK and a Caribbean student and no links matched into radiology. I don't know why people freak out if they get in the 220s or in the teens. They all ended up matching , maybe not a top notch program but at least something is better than nothing.

Reactions: 5 users
Step 2 experience- took the test 8/2

NBME 4 (3 weeks out) 228

UWSA 1 (1.5 weeks out) 262

NBME 6 (5 days out) 262

UWSA 2 (3 days out) 249

NBME 7 (2 days out) 238 (wtf!!!)

Free 150: 90%

Step 2 Ck: 264

Step 1: 234

Did Uworld throughout 3rd year for each rotation. Reset at the end of third year where i had 3 week ED rotation and was lazy and didnt study and forgot all the questions (lol). Then after ED, I did 3 weeks of dedicated study doing 8-12 hours a day 5 days a week (took a three day weekend in there). I would take random timed tests and then review them. In between tests I would watch OME at 2x just to take a break from questions and this would then help me review some concepts I felt insecure on. There is the new "intern" content and I watched some of those videos, but felt it was not a useful for the test.

My theory/experience on the test—I had been reading this forum a little before my exam but basically read the entire thing after my test was over and I was freaked out because, I had a little different experience. My first two sections of my test were like WTF are these questions. Then I had a section where I maybe marked 7-10. Then a few sections of moderate difficulty and my 7th section was the second easiest where I marked about 10-12. And lest section marked about 15. I was usually getting about 50% of my marked questions right on practice tests. Anyway my thoughts walking out where that was long and tough but no where near the same feeling as step 1 and I think that’s bc my wtf sections were early on.

Anyway, I have never posted before but wanted to let people know UWSA is gold (per every other post) and that if you buckle down you can rock the test even with an “average” step 1.

Okay, I have a weird question...

My step 1 score report was available till September 6th.

It went away and... SHOWED UP AGAIN TODAY and will be available till May 2018.

Why did it happen? Does it mean anything? Like a Step 2 CK failure, so they put it up or something?

Why did it happen? Does it mean anything? Like a Step 2 CK failure, so they put it up or something?

That just sounds like a mistake on their part. How weird

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

That shouldn't correlate with CK at all. Relax and wait till tomorrow. I know it's easier said then done but just trying to stop you from freaking out about something.

I know, right?
It obviously had to happen 1 day before I get my scores. Like I'm not freaked out enough :/
I've read this thread and have been following your story. NBME definitely hoed you by not giving you the score last week. Like many people said, keep faith in your UWSAs (of 243 I believe you said), and you should do well. Oh and just be hopeful and pray. At the end of the day remember that this is just a test and it doesn't define how amazing of a physician you will be and how many lives you will touch in your career. It's just another checkpoint to pass so you can move onto the next stage of your career. Best of luck!

I've read this thread and have been following your story. NBME definitely hoed you by not giving you the score last week. Like many people said, keep faith in your UWSAs (of 243 I believe you said), and you should do well. Oh and just be hopeful and pray. At the end of the day remember that this is just a test and it doesn't define how amazing of a physician you will be and how many lives you will touch in your career. It's just another checkpoint to pass so you can move onto the next stage of your career. Best of luck!

True.

Thank you, I appreciate your words :) It means a lot!

Counting down the hrs. It's so hard to focus on the residency apps until the scores come out .

Reactions: 2 users