USMLE - Official 2017 Step 2 CK Experiences and Scores Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

Jesus1

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Since there's no thread for the 2017 Step 2 CK, I figured I'd go ahead and create one. Happy new year in Step 2 CK land.

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 4 users
comlex 1: 505 (lol)
step 1: 240

comlex 2: 650+
step 2 CK: 253

UWSA1 255, UWSA 2 256 (both 1 week before test). I studied for 5 weeks during dedicated, used FA step 2 book and Uworld only. Did approximately 100+ uworld questions a day on random tutor mode. I'm very happy with my score considering I walked out feeling completely demolished. I marked atleast 20 on each section. In my opinion exam was tougher than UWSA2 and question stems felt longer, couldn't go over any of the questions I marked. I'm guessing the curve was very generous on my form. Either way glad its over with and I can move on lol.

Reactions: 1 user
This is my first time posting anything, and I am not really sure why I am(I even gave myself the username idontknowy), because I just got my CK score back and its not good at all.
I think its because I am trying to figure out if I have at least a minute chance of matching anywhere.
I am an July 2015 grad US IMG

Step 1: 189, was a passing score in 2012 when I took it. (honestly my school hadn't completed the basic sciences curriculum before my exam) (I know, It was stupid of me to take)

Step 2: 232
Was not going to take it, but had 3 weeks study time and decided, why not?

I guess I am trying to figure out whether I should apply or not with these scores. I'm going for IM, but I am also doing research in a team that has the Neurology program director, so I might apply to that program.

Any thoughts, suggestions?

congrats on great score
can you share your preparation experience please
thank you

Firstly, before every shelf besides IM I made sure to finish at least all onlinemeded videos and notes, and UW questions in that topic. I.e ob/gyn
If I had still had time I'd do my combank questions. TBH most of my shelfs were 90-100 on the comat curve.

Online med ed:
did vids and notes at least twice or most for most topics. Some just read over again.

Bootleg pdf old uworld q's tutor/untimed as a learning resource during first half of year to study for shelves so technically did uw 1.5. Started doing UW I around mid April. Took the test 7/20

Step up to med for references and weak areas and step up to CK. This is key.
This makes you really understand those difficult to grasp topics and is much more thorough and in my opinion correct than MTB.
Step up to med is not necessary to read cover to cover but know step up to CK COLD.

Also, I truly believe half the battle is in your head. Make sure you're on your A game. Cut out all the BS that puts a weight on your shoulders. Med school can suck the life out of you and you need to be full of energy, and motivation to study and perform well for this test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Some happy but not superstar numbers to round this thread out a bit:

Step 1 222, Level 1 586
Step 2 235, Level 2 604

Step 2/Level 2 strategy was OnlineMedEd and annotating the corresponding Step Up to Medicine for IM and Master the Boards for everything else. Plus UWorld. Step 2 felt like absolute death, but I scored about the average of my UWSAs.

Reactions: 6 users
Step 1: 240
Step 2: 215 ...
I don't know what happened but I feel pretty hopeless right now and wondering if I still have a chance to match to an academic IM program

I'm also a DO

Any advice would be appreciated
I'm sort of in a similar boat. Also a D.O. striving for academic IM. Went from 235+ to 225+. Any advice would be great.

Here's an anecdote in favor of the accuracy of the UWSA!

Step 1: 244
UWorld percentage (only 1 pass, timed): 82%, getting between 85-90% at the end consistently.
UWSA1: 266
UWSA2: 272
FRED 120 (1 day before): 95%

Final Score: 269!!! :)

Study materials: Step Up to Medicine, UWorld, clerkship materials for surgery/peds/obs, plus a lot of referencing back to good old FA for Step 1.

Reactions: 2 users
Bombed Step 1 <220.

Took my first practice NBME for Step 2 about two weeks out and got 226.
1 week out I took NBME form 7 (whatever the most recent was). HUGE mistake. Got 205.
At my friend's suggestion, I took a Uworld self-assessment the next day and got 240. Still, my confidence had been shot so I pushed my test back, and didn't take another practice exam.

Final score: 253!! Was absolutely floored considering I felt like I could have bombed this one as well when I walked out. I literally cried from happiness while I was in Tumor Board. Feeling pretty stoked right now :)

Reactions: 5 users
NBME 3-247, 4-260, 7-230s, 6-273. UWSA 1 (230s), UWSA 2 (240s). Read deal-260+ (Thank God).
Resources-DIT Step 2 CK (thorough) and about half of Secrets/Firecracker, a few select chapters in Toronto Notes, FA Step 1 Public Health Chapter, Clinical Mastery Series exams, UWorld during M3 (not during dedicated). Used OME during M3 as well.
Tips;
FC is a decent, relatively thorough resource (readings at least even if you have no time for the questions).
OME is great but you need to back it up with a resource that gives you details. A surprisingly large number of 2CK questions depend on knowing details, not necessarily the "next best step in management" which OME excels at.
Many people don't recommend DIT for whatever reason but it was really clutch for the real deal.
Anyways glad to be done with this test.

Last edited:
Firstly, before every shelf besides IM I made sure to finish at least all onlinemeded videos and notes, and UW questions in that topic. I.e ob/gyn
If I had still had time I'd do my combank questions. TBH most of my shelfs were 90-100 on the comat curve.

Online med ed:
did vids and notes at least twice or most for most topics. Some just read over again.

Bootleg pdf old uworld q's tutor/untimed as a learning resource during first half of year to study for shelves so technically did uw 1.5. Started doing UW I around mid April. Took the test 7/20

Step up to med for references and weak areas and step up to CK. This is key.
This makes you really understand those difficult to grasp topics and is much more thorough and in my opinion correct than MTB.
Step up to med is not necessary to read cover to cover but know step up to CK COLD.

Also, I truly believe half the battle is in your head. Make sure you're on your A game. Cut out all the BS that puts a weight on your shoulders. Med school can suck the life out of you and you need to be full of energy, and motivation to study and perform well for this test.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
thank you for sharing

Members don't see this ad :)
Step 1: 230

Step 2: 251

Pretty freaking pumped. Going for EM and checked on shift today. Finally had a chance to let myself mull it over and be happy.

Pseudo-pseudo-baseline in March: NBME 7: 230
Pseudo-baseline in ~April: UWSA 1: 232
(took to see if I could push my exam up and try to get an earlier audition in. I determined I could not.)
UWSA 2 (20 days out): 254
Free 120 (1 day out): ~87% (I think)

UWorld first pass: between 74-78% (I forget exactly)
UWorld second pass: 83%

For ****s and giggles:
COMLEX level 1: 639
COMLEX level 2: 739

Reactions: 4 users
DO student applying for ACGME Neurology.

Step 1: Low 240s
UWSA1: Low 250s
UWSA2: High 240s
Step 2 CK: 250s

I'm so relieved to have boards out of the way! Hopefully I'll run into some of you future neurologists on the interview trail!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
Step 1: 249
UWSA1: 249
Step 2: 249

Studied UWorld only for 3 weeks. Seems I've found my lucky number.

Reactions: 5 users
What details are we talking about here?
congratulations btw.... awesome job done!
Like knowing details about disease pathophysiology and not necessarily just knowing that the first step in management is this and that. For example (in MS), you need to know stuff about the attack on oligodendrocytes, internuclear ophthalmoplegia, needing drugs like Oxybutynin for urge incontinence, etc. Was not just enough to know that an MRI is your first step in management ->CSF studies for oligoclonal bands, etc. These "basic" science like details are not exactly highlighted in OME.

Occasional lurker, this may be my first post here. But waiting for these test results was extremely stressful, especially since I did poorly on Step 1. I am a US grad applying to a not competitive specialty.

Step 1: 200 (So terrible, but at least I passed?)

In order of what I took, I had 4 weeks of dedicated study time and took 2 days off for CS which I took at the end of the second week. In general on shelf exams I did ok, but below average. Never honored one.

NBME 7: 222
UWSA 1: 244
NBME 3: Did it for the questions, so no real score
NBME 4: 218
NBME 6: 211
UWSA 2: 234

Step 2 CK: 231

So still below average, but I'm still pretty proud of doing wayyy better than my step 1.

I feel that my numbers are a little unusual. Like I did the best on NBME 7, but I took it first so who knows.

I studied with a partner for step 2, which I think really helped me alot. I used Step up to medicine, Uworld (though didn't finish the 2nd time around), MKSAP questions, and some Secrets (light study while me and my partner were driving). I also used the Notes section in Uworld more. Before I would review wrong questions and be like OK I will remember it, but typing the notes was way better.

Now to go back to working on my application....
Good luck to everyone!!!

Reactions: 2 users
Everyone who got their score back, did you have 20-30 stupid mistakes that you recalled after the exam? I keep having nightmares about easy points I missed on the exam and it's killing me because they were such easy points and I know my score would be better (still didn't receive score) if I wasn't tired and missing these easy questions. Along with all the biostat and ethics and other questions that I don't even remember I'm so nervous about my score. I just made so many stupid mistakes.

Also took exam on August 25th really need my score by next Wednesday to add it to my application? Is there a chance that it would come next week?

Also took exam on August 25th really need my score by next Wednesday to add it to my application? Is there a chance that it would come next week?
My friends who took the test a week before you got their scores yesterday so I think there's a chance you get it next week

Everyone who got their score back, did you have 20-30 stupid mistakes that you recalled after the exam? I keep having nightmares about easy points I missed on the exam and it's killing me because they were such easy points and I know my score would be better (still didn't receive score) if I wasn't tired and missing these easy questions. Along with all the biostat and ethics and other questions that I don't even remember I'm so nervous about my score. I just made so many stupid mistakes.
Yep! I counted 25 stupid gimme questions that I missed and it drove me crazy for 6 weeks. Don't let it get to you. You arent the only one who missed those questions. We only remember the ones we got wrong. Trust yourself. You will be fine!

I'm in the same boat!!
When I finished my exam, I felt I had around 50 answers wrong, just started reading for step 3 and I remembered a few simple questions for which I got the answers wrong. Everytime this happens, I freak out and I remain anxious for the next 3-4 hours. I'm very nervous too..

But I guess we just need to have faith and wait patiently.

I was just checking out a forum on Facebook and I really don't know how so many Arab guys got a 270+ almost all the Arabs got 270s. What do these guys read down there lol

I'd like to know as well
inappropriate content removed by moderator
I don't doubt that is true in some instances, but the same probably also happen in a small scale anywhere there is a bunch of students preparing for the step exams, including US med schools (just like in that article regarding radiology board exams). I'd say that sort of thing tends not to happen in "arab facebook groups", but rather among friends in the same institution in general.

Last edited by a moderator:
Question: I have the exam in on Sept 11. On Uworld tests, I'm averaging in 50's. I want to apply this year for residency? What do you guys think I should do?
I've already taken the test once in April and I failed: 190. What should I do....I'm freaking out. Could use some advice...I've already finished my fourth year of med school...so can't really wait around another year.

Question: I have the exam in on Sept 11. On Uworld tests, I'm averaging in 50's. I want to apply this year for residency? What do you guys think I should do?
I've already taken the test once in April and I failed: 190. What should I do....I'm freaking out. Could use some advice...I've already finished my fourth year of med school...so can't really wait around another year.

What have you been doing for the past 5 months? Why didn't you apply for match last year?

I was just checking out a forum on Facebook and I really don't know how so many Arab guys got a 270+ almost all the Arabs got 270s. What do these guys read down there lol

let me tell the situation here .
our batch was have 300 students , we graduate on July this year.
only one student of our batch did step 2 CK .
so as you see it's small percentage who take the exam , and usually the ones who take it are on top of the class .
thats why you see the high scores . if all my batch done the exam (i bet that about the half of us will failed the exam )
during our intern year now , i estimate the about 30 students of our batch will do this exam . and most of them will study for months almost full time . so you can imagine that the trend will be high scores . except for those who have situations made them took it early , like me XD

but lets wish i can also get >240 i will be so happy , as i total dedicated time 2 monthes and 1 week . but it's possible , i saw from the experinces here , that 6 weeks is really enough to get good score .

---
btw congrulations for all of you on the good scores , i really happy that you relieved from the fear , and good luck on your careers doctors :D

I just wanted to share some encouragement for anyone who might have been in the same place I recently was.

I didn't do well on Step 1. 209. I'm trying for EM, so this felt like a death sentence. Not to mention all the stuff you hear about programs cutting at 210 and 220 ( :cryi: just 1 more point!).

My hope was that I could at least show my general determination and that I was capable of improvement with a decent/average-ish Step 2 CK score.

In the last year I've gone through some of the Step Up series (Medicine, Surgery, Pediatrics), most of the Uworld question pond, and Blueprints OB/Gyn. I took 3.5 weeks off for the exam and went through my text sources again as well as 98% of the UWorld Questions. 10 days out (and 5 organ systems left to go) I took the UWSA Form 1 and got a 245.

I got my Step 2 CK score back yesterday: 264.

I hope my story can help give heart to anyone who didn't perform like they'd hoped on Step 1 and has been hoping they can do better. It happens :cat:

Reactions: 7 users
Step 1: 211

6 weeks dedicated study time. Used uWorld which was incredible as a resources, MTB 2&3 which both seemed to add nothing to uWorld, and tried Secrets but hated it. I have serious concentration issues so I would do 2-3 blocks daily with 3-4 hours per block for review. Looking back I could have been more disciplined.

uWorld first pass during clerkships: 71%
uWorld second pass during dedicated: 85% (only redid incorrect and all of peds as peds was noticeably my worst subject. Also did Kaplan peds only)
NBME 4: 260 4 weeks out
NBME 6: 263 3 weeks out
UWSA 1: 265 10 days out
UWSA 2: 254 10 days out (did them back to back for endurance and real deal simulation, as you can see my score dropped b/c I got tired)

Step 2 CK: 272! HOLY F!!! So happy

I was honestly rocked by step 1. It was an incredibly rough time in my life and obviously I did not handle that well. I came back in third year and had a fire under me to prove that I could do better than what Step 1 showed. My shelves were mostly very good with a range of 85-91ish. I hope this post helps others that are in similar spots to where I was. You can turn this around. Keep pushing and don't lose hope.

Reactions: 12 users
Guys I know this is totally unrelated. But does the eras photo have to be HD? At the studio the lady taking the picture said one of the pictures will be HD and she basically just gave me the wrong picture in HD format and the one that I actually liked isn't. Is it a big deal if I use the none HD one?????

Guys I know this is totally unrelated. But does the eras photo have to be HD? At the studio the lady taking the picture said one of the pictures will be HD and she basically just gave me the wrong picture in HD format and the one that I actually liked isn't. Is it a big deal if I use the none HD one?????

I don't think HD really matters. The file requirements are so crazy that it likely won't matter afterwards anyway. My picture went from 3 megabytes to <150kb.

I'm in the same boat!!
When I finished my exam, I felt I had around 50 answers wrong, just started reading for step 3 and I remembered a few simple questions for which I got the answers wrong. Everytime this happens, I freak out and I remain anxious for the next 3-4 hours. I'm very nervous too..

I immediately recalled a lot of gimme questions and it's been giving me so much anxiety. I have been the most unproductive I've ever been for the past 2-3 weeks because confronting any possible wrong answers I might've put just makes me spiral into more anxiety. Luckily I'm in a super chill rotation that doesn't really require studying.

I immediately recalled a lot of gimme questions and it's been giving me so much anxiety. I have been the most unproductive I've ever been for the past 2-3 weeks because confronting any possible wrong answers I might've put just makes me spiral into more anxiety. Luckily I'm in a super chill rotation that doesn't really require studying.
When are you expecting your result?