UQ-Ochsner 2018 Cohort

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know what happened to the people who didn't match in previous cohorts? And perhaps why they didn't match?

Didn't match for residency in the USA you mean?
Yes and also not exactly.

Ochsner is good at "weeding" people out who wouldn't survive the match.
Not everyone can survive the clinical years (not talking pre-clinical in Australia), so some people will disappear into oblivion part way through (not to scare you guys, usually it's the ones that made you go - how did they get in? or those that really struggled through pre-clinical years.. the clinical years are only harder)

Also, it's rare, but it does happen that people fail things (semesters or rotations) so it can cause them to have to sit a year out/take a year off to match the year after. Not always, but does happen.

Generally, fortunately for Ochsner students, they have Ochsner hospital system. They will try to keep you if they can, if you make it to the end and graduate. However, just be realistic, you won't get a competitive specialty. It'll be family med, psych or may be internal med. UQ traditional students don't really have this to count on as much (*addit, on the other hand, UQ traditionals - are usually not American either and generally can fall back on a rural Australian internship, whether this will continue - I just don't know as class sizes get bigger across this country). *addit addit - I have no idea if they can keep it up perpetually. As class sizes get bigger and stay that way.

Occasionally, someone matched in a pre-lim year only. (which means having to apply for the match the next year)

Much of the time, those who didn't match weren't strategic - they didn't have back up.
As in..for instance, they may have gone balls in for neurosurgery and applied for nothing else (i made the neurosurgery part up by the way, but you get the gist). Regardless.
You can apply to rematch the following year or re-take whatever steps.

Sometimes, 1-2 choose to withdraw or not participate because they elect to stay in Australia and manage to get a position. It's hard because saying you're from Ochsner is like poison for anyone trying to stay in Australia, Ochsner's become well established and the brand is known to many of the local hospitals within Queensland. They know the majority of Ochsner students intend to return home and are part of program channelling them towards staying in the US for residency. It's not exactly a selling point for them to hire someone who's going to leave a month into the Australian internship.

Members don't see this ad.

Last edited:
Didn't match for residency in the USA you mean?
Yes and also not exactly.

Ochsner is good at "weeding" people out who wouldn't survive the match.
Not everyone can survive the clinical years (not talking pre-clinical in Australia), so some people will disappear into oblivion part way through (not to scare you guys, usually it's the ones that made you go - how did they get in? or those that really struggled through pre-clinical years.. the clinical years are only harder)

Also, it's rare, but it does happen that people fail things (semesters or rotations) so it can cause them to have to sit a year out/take a year off to match the year after. Not always, but does happen.

Generally, fortunately for Ochsner students, they have Ochsner hospital system. They will try to keep you if they can, if you make it to the end and graduate. However, just be realistic, you won't get a competitive specialty. It'll be family med, psych or may be internal med. UQ traditional students don't really have this to count on as much.

Occasionally, someone matched in a pre-lim year only.

Much of the time, those who didn't match weren't strategic - they didn't have back up.
As in..for instance, they may have gone balls in for neurosurgery and applied for nothing else.

Regardless.
You can apply to rematch the following year or re-take whatever steps.

Sometimes, 1-2 choose to withdraw or not participate because they elect to stay in Australia and manage to get a position. It's hard because saying from Ochsner is like poison for anyone trying to stay in Australia, Ochsner's become well established and the brand is known to many of the local hospitals. They know the majority of Ochsner students intend to return home and are part of program channelling them towards staying in the US for residency. It's not exactly a selling point for them to hire someone who's going to leave a month into the Australian internship.

Do you think other relatively non-competitive residencies are realistic in addition to the ones you mentioned? For example I'm really interested in path and neurology but I would probably still be satisfied with primary care if it turned out to be unrealistic.

Oh, I meant that in context of say you didn't match or weren't doing well during medical school.

Yea, pathology is also less competitive, relatively. Most people want clinical medicine (out in the wards, seeing patients). Once you get over to Ochsner, I'd suggest touching base with the pathologists there, do some shadowing and ask their advice.

Always have back up though, like it's not uncommon for people to apply to two specialties.
Family med is generally the back-up plan, not because it's least wanted, simply because it always has the greatest demand for new grads and the most spaces available. It's the most versatile field. (compare that to any hospital based specialty that is tied particularly to a tertiary centre, there's then far fewer spaces available - because there's fewer required)

Neuro is challenging to match in but not impossible. Specialty is..still a specialty even though it's not like it's cardiology level of competitiveness. Ochsner has a neurology department, if it makes you feel better, and they are able to have residents. That said, the peeps I knew who matched in it, worked extremely hard, did research relevant to neuro as med students and had great step scores.
They didn't struggle as a students.

However, (as you guys are probably aware of already), Ochsner is still considered an IMG program.The match rates aren't necessarily comparable to say American graduates of American MD programs, with the majority of Ochsner grads ending up in primary care. (It could change, never know) That alone means you have to work harder than locally trained American grads who spent all 4 years in the USA, at least for the steps, to prove your worth. Also rotating through Ochsner are other American students on their Sub-Is or electives, LSU students and Tulane students. It's all competition.

But you never know :)
If you work hard, and people like working with you, many things aren't far beyond your reach.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh, I meant that in context of say you didn't match or weren't doing well during medical school.

Yea, pathology is also less competitive, relatively. Most people want clinical medicine (out in the wards, seeing patients). Once you get over to Ochsner, I'd suggest touching base with the pathologists there, do some shadowing and ask their advice.

Always have back up though, like it's not uncommon for people to apply to two specialties.
Family med is generally the back-up plan, not because it's least wanted, simply because it always has the greatest demand for new grads and the most spaces available. It's the most versatile field. (compare that to any hospital based specialty that is tied particularly to a tertiary centre, there's then far fewer spaces available - because there's fewer required)

Neuro is challenging to match in but not impossible. Specialty is..still a specialty even though it's not like it's cardiology level of competitiveness. Ochsner has a neurology department, if it makes you feel better, and they are able to have residents. That said, the peeps I knew who matched in it, worked extremely hard, did research relevant to neuro as med students and had great step scores.
They didn't struggle as a students.

However, (as you guys are probably aware of already), Ochsner is still considered an IMG program.The match rates aren't necessarily comparable to say American graduates of American MD programs, with the majority of Ochsner grads ending up in primary care. (It could change, never know) That alone means you have to work harder than locally trained American grads who spent all 4 years in the USA, at least for the steps, to prove your worth. Also rotating through Ochsner are other American students on their Sub-Is or electives, LSU students and Tulane students. It's all competition.

But you never know :)
If you work hard, and people like working with you, many things aren't far beyond your reach.

2nd year here, @A Leaky Sieve just out of curiosity what are your ties to UQ-O? Are you a graduate of the program?

Haha, not a UQ-O grad.
I was a traditional (back when I was a student).

Maybe I had ties, and maybe I don't really wish to share what they were on SDN. It would reveal more about me than I'd like in a public forum. Even as someone posting anonymously.
(**Addit, you can PM me to ask, I'm just adverse to posting)

What I will say is that I have close friends who graduated from the program. Who I knew since first year, and with whom I still keep in touch with. None of them, by the way, for a moment, ever stopped freaking out about the future. Like ever. The whole time we were in med school together, until maybe a few months before graduating. They seemed to think they would end up as rural GPs in some deserted bayou somewhere in Louisiana and not by choice. Or worse, unemployed, because they were (holy ****) IMGs. They thought they'd fail the steps, that didn't happen either. How I know it'll turn out for you guys...I don't, but I know they turned out fine. The program wasn't even well known then, or well established. So it was real gamble what they were doing. To make things matters worse, there were people we knew disappearing from the program each year (or every 6 months). Never even making it to the match.

Obviously, take what I say with a grain of salt, particularly as you haven't started rotations or returned to US soil yet.

When you get to the clinical years and go to NOLA (which is really soon as you're in second year, even though it may not feel that way now), you'll be surrounded by upper classmen about to put together their residency applications, or even Ochsner grads who may be your residents on the teams. That in addition to having Ochsner faculty & staff around, some of whom will have been IMGs in their past too. There's so many more people around to ask about things. Particularly by final year, if they like you, the advice is much more personalized and forth coming.

One huge down side to being pre-clinical in the Ochsner program is that you're so disconnected from what Ochsner is until you get there as a 3rd year. It's a lot of networks and supports you're missing. At the end of the day, Australian faculty and staff.. are just that. Most will have had no connection to the US medical system before. They will have never studied for the Steps or have any idea what a rotation outside of Australia is like. (Addit - Doesn't mean they aren't highly qualified, just that there's a disconnect - whatever you do, don't say things like..but in the US we do blah, or according to first aid, it's blah blah. while you're in Australia - you're in Australia, roll with it till you return home).

Last edited:
Hey, MS1 here in UQ-Ochsner, please feel free to ask questions. I will answer them honestly and truthfully.

Reactions: 1 users
Hey, MS1 here in UQ-Ochsner, please feel free to ask questions. I will answer them honestly and truthfully.
Can you give your Pros and Cons of the program so far? It seems like a lot of former students complained of administrative issues. Do you think UQ has improved in that aspect?

Can you give your Pros and Cons of the program so far? It seems like a lot of former students complained of administrative issues. Do you think UQ has improved in that aspect?

No. UQ admin is a joke. We've spent the last 6 weeks still trying to get schedules sorted. Outside of Admin, the faculty is pretty good. There are some excellent lecturers and some not so great. There are also a couple of time waster classes that are required. Outside of that the curriculum is pretty good, there's very little busy work/assignments so there is ample free time for independent step study. They emphasize clinical training, which has been reported as a big asset by residency program directors. The domestic students are young (many under 20 years old) so it seems that some activities are very basic and common sense for most of the American cohort (i.e. How to talk to patients). However, the domestic students are on top of everything, and will put you to shame the first several weeks (mainly because they've taken many of the same classes as undergraduates). So far I have no regrets in choosing UQ over a US school, and would make the same decision if I had to do it over.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Reactions: 2 users
The pros are that you are at a beautiful country/ campus which is A LOT better than freezing your ass off in the north east US. You start doing clinical work very early on and have some great lectures. The hardest part about this school is that they aren't a USMD so they don't teach to step one. It's your responsibility to use resources such as Pathoma, sketchy micro and macro, Dr. Najeeb and others. It's definitely NOT impossible to do well though. They have USMLE tutorials to try and compensate for the areas they are weak in. I will tell you this right now you will NOT sufficiently learn: microbio, biochem, and pharm. Go into this knowing you'll need to learn those on the side, again there are weekly tutorials but it's important to know this now. I would say my biggest complaint is that it's honestly too easy to get in to our program. Our class is mixed between a bunch of people who are very capable but just didn't get into a USMD, and those who quite frankly don't really have a place being in medical school.

I would say my biggest complaint is that it's honestly too easy to get in to our program. Our class is mixed between a bunch of people who are very capable but just didn't get into a USMD, and those who quite frankly don't really have a place being in medical school.

I wouldn't be so quick to judge your class's capability after 6 weeks. UQ-O has been at roughly the same level of competitiveness for 8-9 years since it's inception and has managed to do pretty well regardless of entrance standards. In fact MCAT minimums are a bit higher now plus there is an interview (things that previous classes did not have).

I'm a second year who knows most of my ochsner class pretty well. I would say there are very few people I've met who shouldn't be here. I've been here for 2 semesters and we've seen data on how many people fail per semester or need to take supps and its a very small minority of students. I think roughly 30 out of 500 something needed supps and that includes all cohorts.

Most people will act like they don't study but in reality they do, or they manage to cram it in before exams. If they aren't cut out for this, they will get weeded out at some point, whether its in the preclinical or clinical years. I think the biggest difference is some people are just working really hard all the time and therefore are always on top of everything and some people are lazy study just enough but will get it eventually.

I just think making making the average MCAT a 30 wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.
I wouldn't be so quick to judge your class's capability after 6 weeks. UQ-O has been at roughly the same level of competitiveness for 8-9 years since it's inception and has managed to do pretty well regardless of entrance standards. In fact MCAT minimums are a bit higher now plus there is an interview (things that previous classes did not have).

I'm a second year who knows most of my ochsner class pretty well. I would say there are very few people I've met who shouldn't be here. I've been here for 2 semesters and we've seen data on how many people fail per semester or need to take supps and its a very small minority of students. I think roughly 30 out of 500 something needed supps and that includes all cohorts.

Most people will act like they don't study but in reality they do, or they manage to cram it in before exams. If they aren't cut out for this, they will get weeded out at some point, whether its in the preclinical or clinical years. I think the biggest difference is some people are just working really hard all the time and therefore are always on top of everything and some people are lazy study just enough but will get it eventually.

I just think making making the average MCAT a 30 wouldn't be the worst thing in the world.

If they did that they wouldn't be able to fill their class (which is something they still struggle with). Remember at the end of the day this is an important revenue stream for them and a business, and they need to walk a fine line between attracting quality students who can graduate and quality students who would actually attend. If they raise the MCAT score too high, most students would choose M.D. schools stateside or DO schools at that level of competitiveness. Remember, this is a secondary option for most people who didn't get in stateside (no one is choosing this school over a U.S. M.D. acceptance in hand). And it will continue to be that way as graduates are IMGs and therefore disadvantaged in the match, which they always will be (by nature of being an IMG).

That all being said, I still love it here and there are plenty of very bright hardworking students who would be successful anywhere (medicine is a bit self selective in that people pursing it are generally pretty hardworking smart people intrinsically). Don't forget these so called U.S. med school rejects are working side by side in the classroom against some of the best and brightest domestic students in Australia.

At the same time, data has shown that people who can score at roughly the 50th percentile on the MCAT can be successful in medical school (this is one of the reasons the MCAT was given a new scoring format to reset the bell curve drawing attention to the 500 score which is 50th percentile. Coincidentally or not, UQ's minimum MCAT score for interview is around this level (499 last I checked).

Last edited:
Remember, this is a secondary option for most people who didn't get in stateside (no one is choosing this school over a U.S. M.D. acceptance in hand). And it will continue to be that way as graduates are IMGs and therefore disadvantaged in the match, which they always will be (by nature of being an IMG).

I mostly agree, with the exception that in my class there are several students that did have US MD acceptances and did choose UQ-O over stateside schools for various reasons. That being said there are also a lot of students that applied multiple cycles to US schools and were not accepted. Either way, previous year match results show that those that put in the time and hard work will have the opportunity to match into competitive specialties. Those that don't will get weeded out. This IS a business for Ochsner and it is in their best interest to make sure everyone does well on USMLE and is successful at matching so they can continue to fill the program and continue to raise tuition. We'll see how successful this year's match turns out, which is the largest to enter so far, in a few hours.

Members don't see this ad :)
I mostly agree, with the exception that in my class there are several students that did have US MD acceptances and did choose UQ-O over stateside schools for various reasons. That being said there are also a lot of students that applied multiple cycles to US schools and were not accepted. Either way, previous year match results show that those that put in the time and hard work will have the opportunity to match into competitive specialties. Those that don't will get weeded out. This IS a business for Ochsner and it is in their best interest to make sure everyone does well on USMLE and is successful at matching so they can continue to fill the program and continue to raise tuition. We'll see how successful this year's match turns out, which is the largest to enter so far, in a few hours.

Interesting, thanks for the reply. I do know of many in the class who had DO acceptances and turned them down to come here (preferring the MD or didn't like the DO program/location), but I didn't know of anyone with US MD acceptances in hand and choosing to come here. But again, its not like I polled everyone on why they are here or where else they got in lol so I'm sure there are outliers.

So yea I don't doubt it and I was just trying to simplify my point I wasn't trying to make it seem like everyone is a U.S. med school reject who comes here. Alternatively there are many really smart people with solid, exceptional profiles who probably would have gotten in to U.S. med schools if they tried another cycle but they couldn't be bothered. Other students just applied to UQ-O, got in, and didn't try anywhere else because this was good enough for them or they liked it enough. Since applications are off cycle from U.S. application timelines this is a common theme for many. There are also heaps of non trad older students here so for them, perhaps time was a factor and this was the quickest path in rather than spending another year strengthening their app.

Obvsiously times can change, but there was a similar misconception about int'ls at UQ last decade (pre-Ocshner), and while it was true that most of those from the US and Canada went overseas because they could not get in state-side, there were a few every year (me included) who had other reasons. Some did to follow a significant other, others because they had visited/lived in Australia before and really wanted to return and take the chance to be able to stay, and still others could get in to an MD program in the US but followed their more romantic instincts to seek adventure without feeling it necessary to 'maximize odds' or 'minimize risks' for what was to come after, as generally in their lives.

For the 5 or 6 cohorts I knew about, my educated guess, while accounting for the occasional shadier type who could have been lying about his reasons, would be that these 'exceptions' accounted for ~10-15% of the int'ls.

Last edited:
Is the list up anywhere yet? Or do you know of any impressive matches?
I have a copy of the powerpoint slide but it has photos and names so I will see if they post it. The highs - Neurosurg at Tulane, Vascular Surg at Cincinnati to name a few. A few other categorical surgical positions, tons of IM, neuro, psych, peds, FM, rads.

I think impressive is the fact that we are continuing to get mid 90's match rate, equivalent to US programs. That alone is worth mentioning. This class was significantly larger than previous classes too, I think ~90. Next match is 110ish, and ours will be 110ish as well.

Is the list up anywhere yet? Or do you know of any impressive matches?

It was posted in our group today. I haven't seen it publicly posted anywhere yet, but I'm sure it will be on the Ochsner website and MedEdPath shortly. There were several matches into emergency, OBGYN, radiology, anesthesiology, neurology, psych and of course family, IM, and peds. There were also matches into general surgery, neurosurgery (Tulane), vascular surgery (Cincinnati), and ortho (Atlanta). What's particularly encouraging is that most matched outside of Ochsner, including those that matched into competitive specialties (the first time an ortho matched outside of Ochsner). There were also matches in California and New York, which have historically been a challenge and/or not possible. Other top programs include Dartmouth, Mayo, Hawaii, Maine Med, and Lahey. In my opinion, this match is much more indicative of how residency directors are favorably viewing UQ-O graduates.

Congrats on the residency match to the most recent class. My critiques before weren't meant to speak poorly of the program (I think far from that). I do believe however that this program is gaining attention and that with that it's time to stop making this purely a cash gold mine for UQ-O, and really put it in the competitive spotlight. This is why I think a 30 MCAT/ 506 and up isn't uncalled for. There are so many people applying to medica school for such few spots that spaces will get filled.

Neurosurgery AND vascular surg!

That's first time I've heard of any UQ grads matching in either of those surg specialties (outside of Australia).
Glad to hear it's finally been cracked!

Lol
it's honestly too easy to get in to our program. Our class is mixed between a bunch of people who are very capable but just didn't get into a USMD, and those who quite frankly don't really have a place being in medical school.
I would actually agree with this. In terms of, there's a lot of variability in the international students that attend UQ as a whole. Yes, a lot of people deserve a chance, a low MCAT score doesn't automatically translate into being a bad doctor etc. But there were also a few people I'd feel apprehensive about work with as a resident (picture Doug Murphy on Scrubs).

They didn't used to conduct interviews to UQO (they still don't at UQ tradish so at least there's now interviews for UQO) so you can imagine how much stranger some of the personalities used to be. So strange, they were well known across 4 years worth of classes as that guy/gal

As the program gets more traction, i think there'll be far more applicants and more selectivity.
that's the only thing that will push up the average MCAT score required to actually get in, for instance. or at least lead to higher quality cohorts coming through. More people applying early and with better applications.

It's better for Ochsner, the patients and communities in NOLA too, given that students are involved in their care, and any residents that match there.

If UQO was surprised about turning people away in recent years, it's possible they'll be turning away more now as more and more grads match into specialties, in addition to primary care.

Congrats on the residency match to the most recent class. My critiques before weren't meant to speak poorly of the program (I think far from that). I do believe however that this program is gaining attention and that with that it's time to stop making this purely a cash gold mine for UQ-O, and really put it in the competitive spotlight. This is why I think a 30 MCAT/ 506 and up isn't uncalled for. There are so many people applying to medica school for such few spots that spaces will get filled.

I have friends in OMSA who regularly communicate with mededpath, and to date, while mededpath is working hard to market the program, it is still not known well enough around the country to confidently fill a class with scores that high according to them. This is also not their model- their model is pretty well implicitly understood. If you have the scores to reach their minimums, you'll get an interview, and provided you don't do anything crazy in the interview and you apply early, you'll get a seat (which is quite refreshing as there is nothing mysterious about getting in- no need to build villages in Africa and cure AIDS to have a shot). Their model is to offer seats with rolling admissions until it is full (based on the absolute minimums they feel you need to reach to successfully complete the program and practice). The program is better known each year, and this is reflected in the fact that the class fills a bit earlier each year. But what they don't want is to offer seats to people who back out at the last second with other offers somewhere else and then they lose tuition dollars.

After 8 years they finally raised the MCAT minimum to 26/499 from 24 and I'm sure in a few more years if the yield is still high enough they might increase scores higher. But seeing as 95% matched I don't think they are concerned about quality of students.

lol, well, gradual change is better than nothing at all. 8 yrs is not bad for change. it's a relatively new program, it's going to take time for it to gain attention. more so because it is IMG.

At least on my part, it's wishful thinking for a longer term future. it's not likely anything will change in the next 1-2 years it's still fast for a massive almost bureaucratic institution. (I wouldn't suggest to any premed that they have anything to worry about any time soon)

For me at least, it's not just about whether I care about UQ or quality of programs matched (which are all important truly, as opportunities are then more accessible to students) but the clinicians or residents and patients that end up with those souls on their services.

but yea, no way they're going to slow or shut down a gold mine going into the millions per class. education is big business in these parts.
(bordering on unethical, but such is life).

I think we can all find common ground that it's an amazing program. I'm not saying this in a braggadocios way but I got a 30 on the MCAT and I know people who got 31 and even 32. I think they can make the leap into making the average a 29-30. There are people in my class who don't know what DNA is and what transcription and translation are. It's really sad quite honestly.

I would like to add that Sackler's most recent starting class had an average of 508 or 78 percentile on the MCAT. So to state that people won't go is really not true.

Keep in mind that Sackler's been taking Americans since the 1970s, building its reputation through the decades (up to the early 2000s, before Cornell Qatar and before the UK started opening up to foreigners, it was the top int'l school available to Americans). Its class size is also much smaller, and there is an additional cultural/religious draw (among American Jews) to Israel, which helps increase admissions stats.

Cornell Qatar, as another example, chose different marketing: it refused to let students in with lower stats than Cornell, and increased size only as stats allowed (most years it's MORE competitive than Cornell). Ochsner OTOH started with what they thought was a reasonable size, dependent chiefly (at least in the first few years) on what they determined would keep their PLACEMENT stats up (which was partly dependent on Ochsner taking many of its own grads).

At any rate, from what you guys are saying, this sounds like a real breakout year -- higher stats, more competitive placements, with the biggest class yet, all while relying less on Ochsner to take up any slack(?)

Last edited:
This is becoming quite an interesting conversation. I agree with the points made that in time it will only my get harder. I just cringe when I hear "what's a base pair"?

I don't think it's a cash gold mine. That seems a bit disingenuous. I will be the first to admit some of the UQ specific stuff is a ****show and the UQ administration could care less about us, but it is vastly different when you get to New Orleans. They knew all of us by name and face within a few days of being there. They want us to succeed. Not only that, we are matching competitive residencies and have equivalent match rates to US programs. This isn't something where they are taking all of your money and then leaving you high and dry at the end.

Keep in mind that Sackler's been taking Americans since the 1970s, building its reputation through the decades (up to the early 2000s, before Cornell Qatar and before the UK started opening up to foreigners, it was the top int'l school available to Americans). Its class size is also much smaller, and there is an additional cultural/religious draw (among American Jews) to Israel, which helps increase admissions stats.

Cornell Qatar, as another example, chose different marketing: it refused to let students in with lower stats than Cornell, and increased size only as stats allowed (most years it's MORE competitive than Cornell). Ochsner OTOH started with what they thought was a reasonable size, dependent chiefly (at least in the first few years) on what they determined would keep their PLACEMENT stats up (which was partly dependent on Ochsner taking many of its own grads).

At any rate, from what you guys are saying, this sounds like a real breakout year -- higher stats, more competitive placements, with the biggest class yet, all while relying less on Ochsner to take up any slack(?)
Ochsner took 7-8 students at least? But that isn't unreasonable if you consider that the goal of the program is to keep physicians in Louisiana.

Ochsner took 7-8 students at least? But that isn't unreasonable if you consider that the goal of the program is to keep physicians in Louisiana.
I'm not so sure that that's the goal of the program. Certainly there's a goal of training residents at Ochsner, for a host of reasons, but they don't need to take their own grads to do that (taking *some* will always be necessary so as not to appear to be dissing its own training), while it was an original intention to take enough of their own in order to guarantee early success of the program (this admitted by the head of Ochsner when we met in Brisbane just before the first cohort).

But what I mean re: decreasing reliance, isn't the number of grads they take staying about the same as cohort size increases?

Last edited:
I'm not so sure that that's the goal of the program. Certainly there's a goal of training residents at Ochsner, for a host of reasons, but they don't need to take their own grads to do that (taking *some* will always be necessary so as not to appear to be dissing its own training), while it was an original intention to take enough of their own in order to guarantee early success of the program (this admitted by the head of Ochsner when we met in Brisbane just before the first cohort).

But what I mean re: decreasing reliance, isn't the number of grads they take staying about the same as cohort size increases?

Yeah I don't think they drastically increased the number of grads into the residency program here. Regarding the statement about physicians in Louisiana, I remember being told a stated goal of why they added this school was partly due to the physician shortage in the south. Obviously there were other reasons as well.

A 30 mcat average for a relatively new IMG program just seems unrealistic especially when tuition is over 67K. Many of us (like myself) current applicants likely had interviews at US schools but for one reason or another got waitlisted. The average mcat for DO matriculants last year was 502 (a 30 mcat is roughly a 508 I think) so idk how they could fill a class if they have to compete with DO schools, who have a lower mcat average than uq-ochsner already, and have students be willing to pay such a high tuition.

Sackler is a much older program and attracts a lot of Jewish applicants, who tend to have better education/stats. RCSI might be a good comparison but they are also a much older program and have lower tuition as well. If UQ-Ochsner wanted a 30 or 508 mcat average they could do it but i imagine they simply wouldn't fill their class (which it seems like they really want to do) or have to lower their costs because other options are more attractive to applicants who want to practice in the US than a relatively new IMG program with a high tuition.

I just don't like your implications that somehow your class is any dumber than any other class that came before you. It isn't- I know plenty of people just like you with 30+ MCATs. No idea what the average MCAT is, but there is a difference between that and the bare minimum they want you to have to apply. And I wouldn't worry so much about what other people know after 6 weeks. There are no prereqs so people come here with all kinds of backgrounds, some need to do a lot more catching up.

@sean80439 yes the match rate was impressive at 95% (esp since last year 93% and year before 91% with smaller classes) but thats just the people who applied for the match. We still don't have all the numbers of how many people in that class total. For example, I have heard that 15 people or so didn't apply for the match because they still had not taken step 1 by 4th year (just what I heard). They only showed 74 people on the match list (not sure how many total in the class). Still considering class size expanded, 95% is an improvement, unless they talked a bunch of people into not applying for the match to skew the stats positively.

...I remember being told a stated goal of why they added this school was partly due to the physician shortage in the south. Obviously there were other reasons as well.
That was part of the sales pitch locally, yes. Ochsner is a private enterprise, not the state of LA, and any increase in permanent docs from among *Ochsner* grads is incidental, while the piched increase in local docs is indirect:

1) former students may be a little more likely to stay longterm after having lived in LA two years longer than non-LA residents, but by that argument the subset of the subset of 7 per year who end up staying would be vastly outnumbered by those they could poach from Tulane and LSU (where students were in LA for at least 4 years) for residency.

2) having its own program (rather than formerly training Tulane + LSU students) has allowed Ochsner to increase its postgrad training (more training begets more training..). But again, this is not a reason for Ochsner to take many (a disproportionate number) of its own grads.

Last edited:
@sean80439 yes the match rate was impressive at 95% (esp since last year 93% and year before 91% with smaller classes) but thats just the people who applied for the match. We still don't have all the numbers of how many people in that class total. For example, I have heard that 15 people or so didn't apply for the match because they still had not taken step 1 by 4th year (just what I heard). They only showed 74 people on the match list (not sure how many total in the class). Still considering class size expanded, 95% is an improvement, unless they talked a bunch of people into not applying for the match to skew the stats positively.

There were 94 graduates with 79 entering the match and 75 of those matching (5 of which are returning to Australia). In talking with the admin based in NoLa, there were multiple reasons why some didn't enter the match, whether is was to finish a research year (there are a few MD/PhD candidates), because they hadn't taken Step 1 and/or Step 2 (this was common and now the requirements have changed so that you must take Step 1 prior to commencing Phase 2 of the program), to take a gap year, or for whatever reasons they weren't ready or didn't want to pursue medicine. Keep in mind that not every graduate enters the match at every medical school, and for this reason when schools post their match rates it is based on the number of students that enter the match and submit a rank list, not on the number of students that graduated. A 95% match rate is impressive for most US medical schools, let alone an international school.

Does anyone know what happens to the people who didn't match? How has it worked out for former UQ-O graduates that were in that position?

Does anyone know what happens to the people who didn't match? How has it worked out for former UQ-O graduates that were in that position?

Most go through the SOAP, choose a prelim program, do a research year and reenter the following year, or reevaluate their desired specialty and overall goals. There really is no reason that you shouldn't successfully match if you are realistic about your goals (based on your Step scores, LORs, academic performance, away rotations, research, etc.) and are strategic in your match plan (by applying to enough realistic programs, getting and going on enough interviews, and ranking enough programs). Those that don't match did so because either they had unrealistic goals, didn't rank enough programs (this year the average was around 12), or messed up in some other way.

Actually you STILL don't need to take Step 1 to progress into Phase 2. It's sort of ridiculous if you think about it. Part of it is due to students inability to prepare, part of it is due to the lack of structured training and time wasted on Australian information, and part of it is due to students not feeling pressured to take the exam because there isn't a requirement to pass it prior to starting. Yes, it was stated last year that it was 'required' but it really wasn't, and still isn't.

74/79 is great. I'm not sure what your point is with some students not entering the match. That isn't relevant if you are doing what you are supposed to be doing as a student. Yes I have heard that some students still hadn't taken Step1/2 and honestly, those students shouldn't even be considered part of the discussion. There were ~90 students in the class, it was slightly smaller than the current MS4, and my class. In fact the current MS4 class is the largest, they overenrolled (oops) thinking that some were going to drop. Our year I believe had dropped to the 110ish range, but we are still sitting at around 24/rotation so that must include people who were MD/PhD and 4th years that had to retake a rotation or 4th years that are taking a 3rd year rotation because they took a research rotation off during 3rd year and have to make one of those up.

Last edited:
Actually you STILL don't need to take Step 1 to progress into Phase 2. It's sort of ridiculous if you think about it. Part of it is due to students inability to prepare, part of it is due to the lack of structured training and time wasted on Australian information, and part of it is due to students not feeling pressured to take the exam because there isn't a requirement to pass it prior to starting. Yes, it was stated last year that it was 'required' but it really wasn't, and still isn't.

They may have changed requirements from current M3s to M2s starting at ochsner next year. I don't know the specifics but it is possible that it is required for my class not yours.

They may have changed requirements from current M3s to M2s starting at ochsner next year. I don't know the specifics but it is possible that it is required for my class not yours.
I doubt it. We were told it was mandatory no pass no progress, but then emails flew around at the end of the year stating that if you weren't scoring a pass on practice tests to email them and they would figure something out. They used to let people take the first rotation off - I think 30-35 students did for my year - and let you study more. Then a few weeks ago an email went out stating that you had until the end of Y3 to take the exam.

Most go through the SOAP,

SOAP is a brutal process to go through.
(i suppose that's obvious). for a couple of ones that had to, it was a tragedy to hear about it (as in they had high step scores, great LORs etc etc). generally yea it was due to lack of strategic application (having no back up when they applied for something competitive). Ochsner was supportive, to it's credit, in helping to fax a lot of last minute info everywhere to get them through.

As jb271 said, a lot of things are predictable.
you know how you're going to do with your step scores, and there's ways you can plan for what's to come.

Adding to what pitman said:
former students may be a little more likely to stay longterm after having lived in LA two years longer than non-LA residents, but by that argument the subset of the subset of 7 per year who end up staying would be vastly outnumbered by those they could poach from Tulane and LSU (where students were in LA for at least 4 years) for residency.

uQO was set up post-Katrina, when Ochsner was expanding.
filling the void left by hospitals that were unable to recover.
at the time there was a need for more doctors. it was blocked by tulane and lsu from creating it's own school, hence having to partner overseas. so it's a bit more than just an enterprise to get money.

some of the UQ trad students also match at Ochsner each year (generally the ones who had Ochsner rotations in the past or Ochsner spouses..would never underestimate the power of relationships or how frequently medcest occurs), seeing as not all UQO grads choose to stay Ochsner for residency either.

I doubt it. We were told it was mandatory no pass no progress, but then emails flew around at the end of the year stating that if you weren't scoring a pass on practice tests to email them and they would figure something out. They used to let people take the first rotation off - I think 30-35 students did for my year - and let you study more. Then a few weeks ago an email went out stating that you had until the end of Y3 to take the exam.

that's about right - so far.
every year for the last god knows how many they try to make the steps a requirement and then they tell everyone they changed the requirements for that particular year. then they back track and tell the year after they're changing things. i suppose one of these years it will actually happen.

it's okay to be behind one rotation, considering that graduating on time is December under UQ/Australia. being one rotation behind means you still get to start in july.

they may start to discourage that (harder anyway), becuase if you end up failing a rotation once you start 3rd year and end up 2 rotations behind, you won't be able to start residency on time in july. and hence, you won't be able to participate in the match right after "grad', but have to wait the following year. it has happened that UQO students fall behind (but are still passing) to that degree, and there's been much angst directed at the school, because they are forced to take a year off between grad and residency.

I know no one anticipates not taking the step 1 on time.
sh** happens though. like no one planning to fail rotations - but rotations so different to what you think you know about medical school as pre-clinical year. they can very unpredictable. live exams are much more subjective.

I just don't like your implications that somehow your class is any dumber than any other class that came before you. It isn't- I know plenty of people just like you with 30+ MCATs. No idea what the average MCAT is, but there is a difference between that and the bare minimum they want you to have to apply. And I wouldn't worry so much about what other people know after 6 weeks. There are no prereqs so people come here with all kinds of backgrounds, some need to do a lot more catching up.
I can't tell what anyone's implications are anymore in this particular conversation.

however, I take it there's an underlying concern over school or personal reputation based on a mcat minimum cut off haha. I could be wrong and oversimplifying.

Also, dumb, shady people have great MCAT scores too. (Lol not sure just raising the MCAT cut off changes much either - but i don't think that's what was implied. I would go a step farther and say there should be pre-reqs, but the school has a bottomline it has to meet).

This is becoming quite an interesting conversation. I agree with the points made that in time it will only my get harder. I just cringe when I hear "what's a base pair"?

I can say I agree with cringing too...
but also probably for different reasons.

It's not so cute anymore working with people (whether arts or science background as undergrads - doesn't matter) who still can't keep up by residency and there's really sick patients they have to manage.

you can be behind (we're all kinda sh%$ when we first start as interns by the way) but there's eventually a line that's crossed. kudos to those who realize they're behind and are doing something about it (most of us are paranoid about whether we're doing a good job), but some remain oblivious and fail to see any need to improve. apart from doubling or tripling the work load of people around you, if you fall into that category (there is nothing worse than having to work 3-4hrs overtime simply because the other prsn on the team is a douche or none of us can trust them to look after their patients), it's also dangerous. this isn't like any other professional degree. there's a great deal of trust and responsibility involved.

Anyway, difficult balance that schools face. student welfare.
economics. industrial interests for hospitals too who would like quality or at least safe & efficient graduates. public health safety.

For anyone who has gone through the interviews I know you guys signed a non disclosure agreement, but I was wondering if you can answer some of these questions. If these questions violate the agreement though, I understand in you not being able to answer them.

I have gone through the five domains. But I was also wondering if they have questions that are meant to confuse you as some medical school interviews do? Or even questions pertaining to issues we have today such as the affordable care act or our healthcare system?
As far as question structures go, should I expect more scenario type questions (like "explain a time you had a conflict with a colleague") or open ended questions (like "what are your interests in global medicine?").

As far as preparation goes, I've looked through a bunch of sample medical school interview questions related to the five domains. I've outlined possible things and examples to talk about and practiced how I will present myself to interviewers. Is there anything else I should do to prepare for this?

Also, if anyone has any tips on how to manage nerves (I sure do need it haha!) that would be terrific! I'm so worried I would be so nervous during interview day that I end up talking fast or stuttering.

Thanks!

Also, if anyone has any tips on how to manage nerves (I sure do need it haha!) that would be terrific! I'm so worried I would be so nervous during interview day that I end up talking fast or stuttering.
If you don't have asthma or a resting HR <55 or a systolic BP <100...
Beta blockers are your friend.

Ask your family practitioner if they'll write you a script. Try the smallest dose (or even half) some weekend day to see how it affects you.
It won't have any direct CNS effects, but it will lower your heart rate and BP a bit. There is a lot of research on how effective it is at reducing/ridding stage fright-type anxiety. Also good for a number of anxiety disorders (e.g., the anxiety associated with anxiety depression, though not apparently for Generalized Anxiety Disorder) and during therapy for PTSD. It's not completely understood how it works, but the metaphor used is that it 'cuts out the feedback mechanisms in stress/anxiety' (e.g., no heart racing to reflect on that leads to sweaty palms to make the heart race to increase sweaty palms that leads to...)

I took propranolol for the MCAT, and it helped a lot. I give its calming effect partial credit for my 'S' in the writing sample (back when it was oddly J-T scoring). I also took it before speeches to 1200 med students for the first half of the year that I was our medsoc Pres (I used to have horrible stage fright). Then after that conditioned me to be able to give relaxed speeches, I was able to do fine without them. No more stage fright.

For anyone who has gone through the interviews I know you guys signed a non disclosure agreement, but I was wondering if you can answer some of these questions. If these questions violate the agreement though, I understand in you not being able to answer them.

I have gone through the five domains. But I was also wondering if they have questions that are meant to confuse you as some medical school interviews do? Or even questions pertaining to issues we have today such as the affordable care act or our healthcare system?
As far as question structures go, should I expect more scenario type questions (like "explain a time you had a conflict with a colleague") or open ended questions (like "what are your interests in global medicine?").

As far as preparation goes, I've looked through a bunch of sample medical school interview questions related to the five domains. I've outlined possible things and examples to talk about and practiced how I will present myself to interviewers. Is there anything else I should do to prepare for this?

Thanks!

You should practice mock interviewing live with another person, not just going over questions/domains and answers on your own. Sure that is also helpful, and you should prepare your answers on your own, etc, so you are doing the right things, but nothing beats just practicing with someone who is asking you the questions with you directly responding to them, keep doing this over and over with diff potential questions until you become super comfortable with your responses and you'll be less nervous. Also think about your body positioning and your voice, maybe record yourself doing mock interviews with friends/family/parents or ask them to assess your posture and body- all of that counts. If you have any friends who are actors they would be a huge asset to practice with.

At least thats what I did

Thanks!
If you haven't already, talk with your MedEdPath advisor about the interview. They will walk you through the questions and basically tell you exactly how to prepare for the interviews. Everyone's interview is a little different, but what the interviewers are told (at least in prior years) is to ask you set questions based on the domains and allow you to answer within the time limit. They are not supposed to (although some do) engage in any further conversation with you, other than to possibly ask a clarifying question if needed. Some people I have talked to said that their interview was very awkward, and if they answered the question in less time then they would just sit there in silence until the timer ran out. My interview was the complete opposite of this and much more conversational. They still asked me the scripted questions, which I had to answer (with multiple examples) in the allotted time, but they were relaxed, conversational, and expressed emotion (which they apparently are told not to do). So it really is the luck of the draw on who you get as interviewers. Also, those that I have spoken to that interviewed in New Orleans described their interviews as being much more comfortable and conversational than those that interviewed over Skype. I would highly recommend interviewing in person, not only for the more comfortable interview experience, but also to make sure that you like NoLa and Ochsner.

It's ok to be nervous, and it is expected that you will be. This is a big moment in your life. You do, however, want to be well prepared and confident in how you deliver your answers, so in my opinion the best way to accomplish this is through lots of practice (but don't memorize a script). Mock interviews are some of the best ways to prepare for interviews. Also take advantage of the help offered by MedEdPath.

About to take my MCAT on 3/31 and applying right after! Score won't be released until May so hopefully they'll have a spot for me :p

Last edited: