UQ-Ochsner 2018 Cohort

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I wouldn't believe that they aren't reviewing the applications, at least on a statistical level -- maybe conversely they're seeing how strong the early applicants are before setting the requirements. Cynical, I know, but I wouldn't put it past them.
Oh I could totally see that too. We have a new head of the school now too.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know about how long it takes for them to get back to you regarding your performance on the interview?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Does anyone know about how long it takes for them to get back to you regarding your performance on the interview?

If you're talking about knowing how well you scored or getting feedback they don't do that. I think they mentioned it in the interview prep video. If you mean when will you get a decision I wish I knew people have been waiting since February but they say requirements haven't been confirmed yet. Most people in years past heard first acceptances around last week of April to Mid-May based on previous years' threads.

Members don't see this ad :)
I have a buddy who interviewed last year and he said he received an email saying that he failed the interview. I assumed they sent either that email or one saying that you've met the interview requirement to every applicant after the interview.

I have a buddy who interviewed last year and he said he received an email saying that he failed the interview. I assumed they sent either that email or one saying that you've met the interview requirement to every applicant after the interview.

So im assuming he didnt get in? what were his numbers?

No, he didn't get in. His numbers are pretty good. 3.8ish undergrad GPA, 4.0 graduate GPA, and like a 504 MCAT. He just apparently did horribly in the interview.

No, he didn't get in. His numbers are pretty good. 3.8ish undergrad GPA, 4.0 graduate GPA, and like a 504 MCAT. He just apparently did horribly in the interview.

Ooh, that's scaring me a bit. :oops:

Reactions: 1 user

Oh wow. So they told him that right after the interview or when he got his decision? If it's the former, I'm surprised they told him outright. My friend, who was applying last year, called them to ask if she can somehow get a feedback on her interview. They told her they couldn't tell her because it's confidential. So I assume, good or bad, they wouldn't say how the interviewers scored you.

Do you happen to know what it was that made his interview go poorly?

No clue what made the interview go poorly. He said they got back to him the week after his interview letting him know that they were passing on him. I was just curious as to whether the timeline was similar this year. He also tried to get feedback and was told that they didn't do that haha. I don't care to know the details of how I scored. I just want to know if I "passed" or "failed" the interview.

Was not my intention to spread any kind of fear or worry. Just wanted to know how long it took Mededpath to email you all after your interview.

Was not my intention to spread any kind of fear or worry. Just wanted to know how long it took Mededpath to email you all after your interview.

Actually it makes me feel better to know I didn't receive that email haha. It's good to know they inform you if you passed their requirements. That way you don't waste time waiting for decisions when they aren't even going to look at your application after the interview.

For me, I think I received a confirmation email the Monday after the interview. If not Monday, then definitely within 7 days. They also sent me an email saying that the requirements have yet to be confirmed.

Reactions: 2 users

It's fine! I'm glad you mentioned it because now I have extra motivation to ace the interview.

Also, do you know when your friend applied? Did he or she apply kinda late; maybe they were already filling up?

It's fine! I'm glad you mentioned it because now I have extra motivation to ace the interview.

Also, do you know when your friend applied? Did he or she apply kinda late; maybe they were already filling up?

I don't know when he applied. Sorry

Members don't see this ad :)
Well, I haven't received an email saying I failed the interview...yet, just one the Monday after saying they had everything they need but applications weren't being processed yet since requirements haven't been confirmed. But damn now I'm very worried since I didn't feel my interview was all that good. I hope we all get updates soon.

Reactions: 1 users
Well, I haven't received an email saying I failed the interview...yet, just one the Monday after saying they had everything they need but applications weren't being processed yet since requirements haven't been confirmed. But damn now I'm very worried since I didn't feel my interview was all that good. I hope we all get updates soon.

Well I haven't received anything the Monday after my interview, so you seem to be better off than me haha

Good Luck to all you guys!
I've been following this program for about a year now; a friend attended UQO and recommended it.
I hope to apply come next application cycle.
Can anyone shed any insight onto the GPA cutoff? Mine is absolutely cringeworthy at 2.88, although I'm projected a 510 on the MCAT with decent EC/LOR's.

Hey guys! Anyone hear back from UQ yet?! I'm wondering what the email would even look like...I hope the subject of the email doesn't give it away:nailbiting:
My stats are 3.77 GPA (3.8 Science) and 504 MCAT. Honestly I thought I did horribly on the interview but I'm hoping for the best :angelic::xf::luck:
I really hope I do get in--my sibling is a 3rd year at this program and loves everything about it!
I originally applied for the 2017 cohort, but I applied at the last minute so the admissions told me I would be transferred over to the 2018 cohort right after the interview...:penguin:
Anyone else a special(?) case like me?o_O lol

Hey guys! Anyone hear back from UQ yet?! I'm wondering what the email would even look like...I hope the subject of the email doesn't give it away:nailbiting:
My stats are 3.77 GPA (3.8 Science) and 504 MCAT. Honestly I thought I did horribly on the interview but I'm hoping for the best :angelic::xf::luck:
I really hope I do get in--my sibling is a 3rd year at this program and loves everything about it!
I originally applied for the 2017 cohort, but I applied at the last minute so the admissions told me I would be transferred over to the 2018 cohort right after the interview...:penguin:
Anyone else a special(?) case like me?o_O lol

I sent my application late last year too and they told me I would also be transferred to this batch. They didn't receive my MCAT scores yet when they told me that. So I had to also wait to schedule an interview for this year.

So you interviewed last year? I'm sure you did fine because they're still considering you. Why do you feel you did horribly?
I also felt unsure after my interview. I'm usually good at interviews and leave feeling confident. Just for some reason, I felt uneasy for this interview. I talked to other people right after the interview and they felt the same way. I just had a lot of things I forgot to talk about. However, like a poster said here above, many people end up feeling that way.

I sent my application late last year too and they told me I would also be transferred to this batch. They didn't receive my MCAT scores yet when they told me that. So I had to also wait to schedule an interview for this year.

So you interviewed last year? I'm sure you did fine because they're still considering you. Why do you feel you did horribly?
I also felt unsure after my interview. I'm usually good at interviews and leave feeling confident. Just for some reason, I felt uneasy for this interview. I talked to other people right after the interview and they felt the same way. I just had a lot of things I forgot to talk about. However, like a poster said here above, many people end up feeling that way.

Thanks for the encouragement!:angelic: Yes, I interviewed last year in late October, which was the last interview date! I interviewed and the next day, I got an email saying that everyone has accepted their offer and have enrolled so I would not even be reviewed for 2017 cohort and that I'd be reviewed for 2018 cohort in the Spring:arghh::arghh:. My application was all ready and complete but I guess the cohort was full:yeahright:...

There is One part about UQ interview that I did not like. Before your interview they constantly warn you that the interviewers are "trained" not to be responsive and they won't build a conversation, for example, to your response to the question. Oh my goodness they were the exact opposite to this so I was a bit startled so I tensed up lol. I mean I'm sure the interviewers had the best intentions and wanted to hear more about me and stuff but still!!!:grumpy: I guess this was why I felt horrible about my interview...:p

Thanks for the encouragement!:angelic: Yes, I interviewed last year in late October, which was the last interview date! I interviewed and the next day, I got an email saying that everyone has accepted their offer and have enrolled so I would not even be reviewed for 2017 cohort and that I'd be reviewed for 2018 cohort in the Spring:arghh::arghh:. My application was all ready and complete but I guess the cohort was full:yeahright:...

There is One part about UQ interview that I did not like. Before your interview they constantly warn you that the interviewers are "trained" not to be responsive and they won't build a conversation, for example, to your response to the question. Oh my goodness they were the exact opposite to this so I was a bit startled so I tensed up lol. I mean I'm sure the interviewers had the best intentions and wanted to hear more about me and stuff but still!!!:grumpy: I guess this was why I felt horrible about my interview...:p

Did they carry everything over to this year's application cycle and just give you an acceptance to the 2018 class since you already interviewed last year? Or did you have to re-interview?

I had a somewhat similar experience too! When I walked in and in between questions, they were very friendly and responsive. Because of this, I forgot that they were trained to show no emotions. So, while I was answering the question, they wouldn't show any reaction. Then I would internally freak out and interpret it as "Oh my god my story is boring them and I'm rambling." It wasn't until a few days after when I've finally calmed down when I remembered, "oh yeah they were supposed to look like that."

My guess is, maybe some of them responded to us because it must be difficult to show no emotion when someone is talking to you. If it were me, I know it would be difficult for me to look disinterested when a nervous and excited med school applicant is telling me about themselves.

BTW did you guys send thank you notes? I Before I sent mine, I was searching online and SDN forums about them. The opinion about them were mixed. Some people say it's considerate to thank them for their time. Others say that interviewers prefer not to get it because they get too many.

Waiting on confirmation from mededpath, but ozztrek just sent an email that the 4yr UQ program's MCAT cutoff is still at 499, but even though it's a first-come first-served application process, they'll give preference to applicants with a score over 504. Now we'll see what mededpath says if they'll mirror these stats...

Did they carry everything over to this year's application cycle and just give you an acceptance to the 2018 class since you already interviewed last year? Or did you have to re-interview?

My application carried over to 2018 cohort and they didn't send my application over to UQ for a review until late Feb. I didn't have to interview again since I already did it in October! I'm still waiting for my decision:angelic:

I had a somewhat similar experience too! When I walked in and in between questions, they were very friendly and responsive. Because of this, I forgot that they were trained to show no emotions. So, while I was answering the question, they wouldn't show any reaction. Then I would internally freak out and interpret it as "Oh my god my story is boring them and I'm rambling." It wasn't until a few days after when I've finally calmed down when I remembered, "oh yeah they were supposed to look like that."

My guess is, maybe some of them responded to us because it must be difficult to show no emotion when someone is talking to you. If it were me, I know it would be difficult for me to look disinterested when a nervous and excited med school applicant is telling me about themselves.

BTW did you guys send thank you notes? I Before I sent mine, I was searching online and SDN forums about them. The opinion about them were mixed. Some people say it's considerate to thank them for their time. Others say that interviewers prefer not to get it because they get too many.

I didn't send my interviewers thank you notes...some people tell me that we are "supposed" to send them thank you notes but I honestly doubt my decision will be significantly affected by that if at all:)

Waiting on confirmation from mededpath, but ozztrek just sent an email that the 4yr UQ program's MCAT cutoff is still at 499, but even though it's a first-come first-served application process, they'll give preference to applicants with a score over 504. Now we'll see what mededpath says if they'll mirror these stats...

Thanks! Are you applying to both uqo and directly to uq? I didn't think it was possible.

Also, just want to make sure I understood you, does that mean the ones below 504 will get decisions close to the end of the UQ application decision? If they haven't filled up seats yet?

I interviewed in February... still no word. I emailed and they stated that requirements are expected to confirmed within the next week or so

And hopefully by next week we'll know the decision!! I just want to know so I can stop worrying :bigtears:

And hopefully by next week we'll know the decision!! I just want to know so I can stop worrying :bigtears:

Do we still think that means decisions are coming out soon? If they haven't even confirmed the requirements... has the admissions committee even began meeting?

Do we still think that means decisions are coming out soon? If they haven't even confirmed the requirements... has the admissions committee even began meeting?
That sounds really discouraging if true...:( but the administration lady said results would be known by May, so hopefully it will be out soon! I looked at last year's thread and first decisions were out by the first week of May! :)

UQ Admin in Brisbane is generally slow.
That's going to be true the whole of your time in Australia.

Much of the time we would find things out in our class facebook groups first, or period. Those groups essentially become your class discussion boards. On the side, UQ SoM or FoM know they exist and occasionally their staff and faculty look through those groups, so try to avoid posting anything inflammatory. It's happened before that students have been summoned to disciplinary committees. But they will never post on the facebook groups themselves.

If early decisions came out in May previously, it'll likely still be the same this year. Students were still getting accepted in the rolling application scheme up until November (in order to start school Feb of the next year - but this was with skin of their teeth by then). Most other Australian schools don't close their applications until June, with decisions coming out well after that (August/Sept) - this would apply to UQ's domestic Australian cohort too (just not the international one)

It's out of your control anyway.
Relax

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users
I was told during my pre-interview phone call that the first round of acceptances would be sent out around Memorial Day

It is still really really early, guys.

Don't panic. It's May 1st in Australia. Orientation starts the first week of February 2018.

Best of luck moving forward!

Reactions: 3 users
Just got an email saying that they are submitting our applications for review this week.

Just got an email saying that they are submitting our applications for review this week.
When did you send in your application?
I got an email saying they sent the application to UQ for review in late Feb.

When did you send in your application?
I got an email saying they sent the application to UQ for review in late Feb.

I got an email saying that my application was complete in January, and i did my interview in March

Just got my interview for June! There should still be some spots by then, right?

I wanted to apply earlier but based on the time I took the MCAT, this is the earliest date I can take. :(

Just got my interview for June! There should still be some spots by then, right?

I wanted to apply earlier but based on the time I took the MCAT, this is the earliest date I can take. :(

Based on everything I've heard, they don't usually fill up until about September-October, so you should be fine. Just be sure to pay the seat deposit quickly if you're offered a seat.

Got an update email yesterday - "We are preparing to submit complete applications for review for February 2018 consideration this week.

Please email me an updated MCAT Verification Code, as yours is now expired or will expire shortly. Please include your new Verification Code and AAMC ID number."

I just got an acceptance email from UQ! YAY:clap::claps::soexcited:
I cried a little lol

Reactions: 7 users
Does anyone know if I am allowed to apply to other schools through AMCAS after getting accepted to UQ and after paying the deposit to secure the spot?
My parents want me to still apply to US med schools...but I'm not sure if I can or if I should even.
I wouldn't even get the results until next spring for US schools...by then UQ program would have already begun

Does anyone know if I am allowed to apply to other schools through AMCAS after getting accepted to UQ and after paying the deposit to secure the spot?
My parents want me to still apply to US med schools...but I'm not sure if I can or if I should even.
I wouldn't even get the results until next spring for US schools...by then UQ program would have already begun

In the past, people have dropped out of UQ after starting sem1 if they heard back from U.S. schools

@jdawgydawg when did you interview? Did you get the email "Your application meets the requirements for the 2018 cohort and has been sent to the University of Queensland for review. Decisions will be issued on a rolling basis until the class is filled."

@jdawgydawg when did you interview? Did you get the email "Your application meets the requirements for the 2018 cohort and has been sent to the University of Queensland for review. Decisions will be issued on a rolling basis until the class is filled."
This is what I got in February: "
Your application packet for the 2018 cohort has been sent to the University of Queensland for review. We expect to begin hearing back with decisions by May, at which time I will contact you promptly."
I interviewed October 2016. But my application was pushed over to 2018 cohort because all spots were full..

I'm a little sad. I just meet the minimum MCAT at 500. The email we got today however says that MCAT scores above 504 are being considered and will receive acceptance on a rolling basis. The ones below are being held for continued consideration. I guess it safe to say I don't have a chance and should move on? My only advantage was my early application. :(

Last edited:
I'm a little sad. I just meet the minimum MCAT at 500. The email we got today however says that MCAT scores above 504 are being considered and will receive acceptance on a rolling basis. The ones below are being held for continued consideration. I guess it safe to say I don't have a chance and should move on? My only advantage was my early application. :(

I know the feeling. I sit at a 502... I understand they want the strongest applicants. That said, I was planning to know the decision sometime in may so that I could know whether to start grad school this fall or not.... evidently that's not going to happen.

I know the feeling. I sit at a 502... I understand they want the strongest applicants. That said, I was planning to know the decision sometime in may so that I could know whether to start grad school this fall or not.... evidently that's not going to happen.

I have a friend who also applied and she's sitting at 503. She's considering on retaking the exam next month. It sounds like a good idea. However, I don't know when exactly we will receive updates to our application. Im not sure if that email we got means our applications would be considered only at the very last month of the cycle or after each batch. So, if I retake it in June, I wouldn't get the results until July. I wouldn't want to spend money on the MCAT only to get the decision before I get my new MCAT results back.

Ugh I take it back. I'm actually really really sad. Not "a little sad." haha

I have a friend who also applied and she's sitting at 503. She's considering on retaking the exam next month. It sounds like a good idea. However, I don't know when exactly we will receive updates to our application. Im not sure if that email we got means our applications would be considered only at the very last month of the cycle or after each batch. So, if I retake it in June, I wouldn't get the results until July. I wouldn't want to spend money on the MCAT only to get the decision before I get my new MCAT results back.

Ugh I take it back. I'm actually really really sad. Not "a little sad." haha

Don't give up! If I were in this situation, I would hope for the best on UQ-O program and in the meantime, study my butt off for the June or July MCAT. Get a decent MCAT score and apply to US MD schools and DO schools, which is the better option to go if accepted, than UQ-O honestly :)
When I first took my MCAT I didn't even have a 500. It's really embarrassing, but if I can pull up my score by +10 points, you most definitely can!
Good luck!:luck: