UQ-Ochsner 2022 Cohort

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Just making sure, we still have to do that 14 day quarantine and everything right?
No quarantine. As of Dec. 1st you'll be able to head to a few of the states without quarantining and you hang out there for 2 weeks before being allowed to fly to Queensland as an interstate traveller so (As of Dec 17th, no quarantining for interstate travel will be required in Queensland) .

Members don't see this ad.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
No quarantine. As of Dec. 1st you'll be able to head to a few of the states without quarantining and you hang out there for 2 weeks before being allowed to fly to Queensland as an interstate traveller so (As of Dec 17th, no quarantining for interstate travel will be required in Queensland) .
Yes! also I would not recommend trying to fly directly to Brisbane. Too much potential risk, and also you'll be stuck in quarantine when you could be having a 2 week vacation in another Australian city. Good luck to everyone with getting over there!

Yes! also I would not recommend trying to fly directly to Brisbane. Too much potential risk, and also you'll be stuck in quarantine when you could be having a 2 week vacation in another Australian city. Good luck to everyone with getting over there!
Flying to Sydney and go from there by flight or train?

Members don't see this ad :)
Flying to Sydney and go from there by flight or train?
Uq said u can fly to NSW or Victoria , stay for 14 days , then head to Brisbane ( air train w.e ) , so you won't have to quarantine

not sure if the Omicron covid-19 variant will change anything

thoughts

• Care
Reactions: 1 user
not sure if the Omicron covid-19 variant will change anything

thoughts
The measures atm are “precautionary” according to the government, however the whole situation seems sketchy and I’m trying to leave earlier

Edit: NSW says it’s sticking with its original reopening plan so I think heading to Sydney is a good idea, better than attempting to quarantine in Queensland since that won’t be an option till January

• Care
Ugh! I wish this doesn't change anything :( would be soo sad but I totally get it frm a precautionary measures standpoint from each country. I cant travel until end of December unfortunately.

I gave it some more thought and decided to leave earlier. It just feels like a safer option.

Yeah, I think that's smart. Around what time are you thinking of leaving?
The border restrictions were extended until at least Dec 15. Scheduling a flight shortly after that is probably the best bet at this point, although nobody can say for certain whether that date will be pushed even further out.

guys, book your flights asap, due to the new dates people will start to go for tickets after the 15th

Members don't see this ad :)
guys, book your flights asap, due to the new dates people will start to go for tickets after the 15th
Yup ....I was booking ticket 2 days ago and literally prices was increasing as I refresh the page to check dates....while showing only a few tickets left (non stop flights) . Book your ticket now!!!! Unless you flying 1st class then no stress 😂

Hi guys! I'm little confused about the CPR and first aid requirement. What course(s) satisfies their first aid certificate requirement?

I did "Basic Life Support-BL R.21," but was wondering if I have to do this one as well : "Adult And Pediatric First Aid/CPR/AED-BL"

Thanks!
I do believe you probably have to do the adult and pediatric. I know for sure the first aid class must include that and also AED. The only thing I'm confused about is if their First Aid and CPR has to be meet OHSA workplace requirements or not. Apparently some people in the ochsner class did the class Without the workplace requirements and UQ has said they have to redo.........hopefully someone can clear this up also. Paging @Wolvvs 😄

• Love
I do believe you probably have to do the adult and pediatric. I know for sure the first aid class must include that and also AED. The only thing I'm confused about is if their First Aid and CPR has to be meet OHSA workplace requirements or not. Apparently some people in the ochsner class did the class Without the workplace requirements and UQ has said they have to redo.........hopefully someone can clear this up also. Paging @Wolvvs 😄
The BLS certification from what I understand is basically CPR for healthcare workers, and you don't specifically need BLS--only CPR + first aid. The second course listed would meet both the requirements and was the one I did last year. The BLS I'm not sure would meet the first aid requirement.

• Love
Yeah if you have a valid BLS you could just do a dedicated first aid course, you would just have to be really cautious about when the BLS expires since we have to renew it every year

• Love
So.... I was on the waiting list until the end of November so couldn't apply for my visa but obviously did so ASAP once I got my CoE.
I just checked the status of my application today and it said 3-7 month processing time HAHA.
Anyone else in the same boat waiting for their visa to go through while trying to plan flights to Australia (if/when) borders open?

So.... I was on the waiting list until the end of November so couldn't apply for my visa but obviously did so ASAP once I got my CoE.
I just checked the status of my application today and it said 3-7 month processing time HAHA.
Anyone else in the same boat waiting for their visa to go through while trying to plan flights to Australia (if/when) borders open?
There definitely appears to be a backlog now since there is an estimate of over 170,000 international students applying for visas all at once following the news of border opening. It didn't usually take more than a few weeks in the past few years but it is anyone's guess this year. A lot of people are in the same shoes as you right now.

Some people choose to book in advance anyways because of the anticipation of potential flight shortage and are prepared to reschedule/cancel if the visa is not granted in time and some people just decide to wait it out and hope for the best.

There definitely appears to be a backlog now since there is an estimate of over 170,000 international students applying for visas all at once following the news of border opening. It didn't usually take more than a few weeks in the past few years but it is anyone's guess this year. A lot of people are in the same shoes as you right now.

Some people choose to book in advance anyways because of the anticipation of potential flight shortage and are prepared to reschedule/cancel if the visa is not granted in time and some people just decide to wait it out and hope for the best.
Wonder what will happen for the Orientation week and the beginning of the semester if people cannot get in yet?

Is that processing time from the time the visa was submitted or from the time the medical examination was complete?

when I first started the visa process I had a similar estimate for processing times but they got to it within like 2 or 3 weeks. As others have mentioned things have gotten busier recently but wanted to let you know there is still hope lol

I got the notification for the medical within 3 days of submitting the visa and then approved within an hour of the medical being completed. I agree with the above person who said everyone is applying at once bc of the border stuff. However, given how fast they were going through before I’d say it won’t take that long

With the recent announcement of borders opening Dec 15 there’s less than 4 weeks to get everything sorted (if people want to go to Sydney).

The admin team seemed to acknowledge that not all students would be able to make it to orientation on time and there’ll be virtual options.

I might not make it in time since there’s still quite a lot i have to wrap up and complete- is there anyone else here who might be arriving later?

With the recent announcement of borders opening Dec 15 there’s less than 4 weeks to get everything sorted (if people want to go to Sydney).

The admin team seemed to acknowledge that not all students would be able to make it to orientation on time and there’ll be virtual options.

I might not make it in time since there’s still quite a lot i have to wrap up and complete- is there anyone else here who might be arriving later?
Where/when did the admin team acknowledge that were might be virtual options? I reached out because timing is going to be really tough to make it there in time, and they said that wouldn't be an option. If it is, it would save me a ton of undue stress & wasted money.

Where/when did the admin team acknowledge that were might be virtual options? I reached out because timing is going to be really tough to make it there in time, and they said that wouldn't be an option. If it is, it would save me a ton of undue stress & wasted money.
I called the school and it was more so acknowledging that there would be students who wouldn’t be able to make it into the country and that there would be options for people in quarantine or alternate sessions held throughout the year.

Hi sorry I am not UQO but traditional UQ applicant... was it the Ochner admin that said so, or the UQ one? Just cuz I chatted with the Oztrekk (applicant services) this morning and they said UQ might highly likely not be flexible..In fact if we are unable to get visas, reach there on time (jan 24th), we might have to reapply for next year as they dont do defer and will not do online, even for those getting late offers...

• Care
I’m traditional as well, and went through OzTrekk so now I’m concerned based off what you just said aha ..

I’m traditional as well, and went through OzTrekk so now I’m concerned based off what you just said aha ..
Oh man... so sorry I didnt wanna stress you.... One of our peers reached out to UQ ( mentioned in the UQ MD Invites/Offers.. forum) and it seems the team didnt answer the question surrounding what about those who may reach late...

If you fly straight to Brisbane, you will be in Quarantine 14 days (at this state, don't even think about doing the Sydney NSW/Melbourne Victoria travel), Orientation start Jan 24, see if you can make it by Jan 9 or 10 and you will be ok....That would also mean you have less than 1 month to plan and finish everything ......good luck.

• Care
If you fly straight to Brisbane, you will be in Quarantine 14 days (at this state, don't even think about doing the Sydney NSW/Melbourne Victoria travel), Orientation start Jan 24, see if you can make it by Jan 9 or 10 and you will be ok....That would also mean you have less than 1 month to plan and finish everything ......good luck.
What do you mean by don't even think about doing the Sydney travel?

What do you mean by don't even think about doing the Sydney travel?
UQ currently have an accomodation set up, fully paid for, where students can arrive in those two territories then stay for 14 days ( no lock down quarantine) then travel to Brisbane. Basically letting us skip being lock up for quarantine in Brisbane vs if you flight straight to Bris Queensland and get lock up 14 days (will cost you 3500$ and UQ only fund 2000$ for this vs Sydney travel)

UQ currently have an accomodation set up, fully paid for, where students can arrive in those two territories then stay for 14 days ( no lock down quarantine) then travel to Brisbane. Basically letting us skip being lock up for quarantine in Brisbane vs if you flight straight to Bris Queensland and get lock up 14 days (will cost you 3500$ and UQ only fund 2000$ for this vs Sydney travel)
Ohhh, I thought you were saying to not do the Sydney route. Got it. Thanks!

Hey where can we get more info on this! Is this only for Ochsner students?

Hey where can we get more info on this! Is this only for Ochsner students?
All international meds student . I couldn't find the link to the info on the UQ page but I'll attach the email they been sending out about the travel stuff (this email was literally send out this morning by the dean)

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211215-113138_Gmail.jpg
    Screenshot_20211215-113138_Gmail.jpg
    214.1 KB · Views: 166
All international meds student . I couldn't find the link to the info on the UQ page but I'll attach the email they been sending out about the travel stuff (this email was literally send out this morning by the dean)
Thank you! Where does it say they will provide accomodation tho? :O i cant seee

Thank you! Where does it say they will provide accomodation tho? :O i cant seee
I only remember UQ mention this in a seminar then they provided all of us with the sign up page for the accomodation here Survey I can't seem to find the actual page to the link on UQ official site.

I only remember UQ mention this in a seminar then they provided all of us with the sign up page for the accomodation here Survey I can't seem to find the actual page to the link on UQ official site.

So just to confirm - if we fly into Melbourne/Sydney then the accommodation / cost is completely paid for?

So just to confirm - if we fly into Melbourne/Sydney then the accommodation / cost is completely paid for?
Yes , if you use that survey link and fill out a form. It is the accomodation UQ provide not an accomodation you can book yourself . Based on the 2nd year that got to the place , the accomodation is pretty nice

Attachments

• Screenshot_20211216-062351_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20211216-062351_Chrome.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 140
The one in Sydney is Urbanest Darling House, which is student housing rather than a hotel. It looks like it's in a great area and meals are included--although it's just across the street from Chinatown and a lot of those restaurants look really good...

You should receive/have received an email with a link to the prospective arrival information form. I'm not sure how they're coordinating it with these late acceptances and it may be helpful to reach out to the student support team if you have the CoE but don't have the link yet. The form requires that you've got a flight scheduled so taking care of the visa should be the first priority. Depending on where you arrive, the form will tell you which hotel you'll be staying at, and the student support team will follow up by email with more info.

… I do hope they send CoEs soon… i think us late offers group are at the “every day counts, literally” stage at this point lol 🥲😅

Hey guys, just to confirm, the NDIS screening check and blue card application are both done in australia right?
+1
Ya Blue Card we need to be in Aus to do it.
For the student orientation checklist, I don't think we can complete all of these. Some of them are clinical placement specific. So what exactly are we supposed to submit for the student orientation check list?
For reference it's this document: https://www.health.qld.gov.au/__dat...73/Student-Orientation-Checklist-2021_V11.pdf

+1
Ya Blue Card we need to be in Aus to do it.
For the student orientation checklist, I don't think we can complete all of these. Some of them are clinical placement specific. So what exactly are we supposed to submit for the student orientation check list?
For reference it's this document: https://www.health.qld.gov.au/__dat...73/Student-Orientation-Checklist-2021_V11.pdf
It’s pretty much complete what you can (immunization and iLearn stuff, the police certificate doesnt matter since we have the fbi checks) and upload it

• Love
Sorry if I am asking I’m the wrong place, but do they count postbacc classes toward the gpa? I was just under a 3.0 when I graduated with my bachelors, and I’m worried I’ll get weeded out.

Any UQ students in Sydney rn?

Also, do you guys think the NSW/Queensland border will close if nsw spikes even further in cases?
Fingers crossed that they won't. So far they haven't closed anything international travel- it might be unlikely they would for domestic flights in Australia - even after the meeting they had a week back- when Omicron was rising (things can change soo stay tuned). My domestic flight in USA to reach an international airport- has been cancelling for the past few days now and my flight is on the Jan 2nd, so I'm thinking of a back-up airline for the domestic USA flight.

Sorry if I am asking I’m the wrong place, but do they count postbacc classes toward the gpa? I was just under a 3.0 when I graduated with my bachelors, and I’m worried I’ll get weeded out.
I've always thought they viewed the two separate? In fact, if they consider your Post-bacc as a Masters degree then they will use that for admissions rather than bachelor's GPA. I'd speak with one of the reps at UQO on what Post-bacc work counts as?

If it helps, a low GPA is not insurmountable - they also use a sliding scale thing for GPA and MCAT - a lower GPA might need a higher MCAT to be put up. 25% GPA, 25% MCAT, 50% MMI.

A traditional postbac where you get a certificate will not count. An SMP or other program where you get an actual degree will count.

If you're just under a 3.0, you should be okay--the cutoff is somewhere in the 2.7/2.8 range but it depends on how they evaluate your transcript, so you won't know until you submit an application.