UQ-Ochsner 2022 Cohort

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has anyone from the UQO 2022 cohort been granted their Australian student visa? How long did it take to be processed?
I was granted my student visa the day after my panel physician visit. It took 3 weeks from when my visa application was submitted to when I received the visa “granted” letter.

Members don't see this ad.

Looks like someone received a waitlist last Thursday, wonder if they sent out any other decisions that day :O
woah did someone post elsewhere? where do see that

woah did someone post elsewhere? where do see that
I saw it in the UQ-Ochsner 2021 SDN thread, but it looks like that might be the non-Ochsner cohort that got waitlisted. Not quite sure on this one

Members don't see this ad :)
This has ofc been asked before, but I wanted to get a quick update from current students if possible — could anyone comment on the costs of living in Brisbane (transportation, housing, food, anything else?) as well as the costs of living in Louisiana? Thanks in advance :)

This has ofc been asked before, but I wanted to get a quick update from current students if possible — could anyone comment on the costs of living in Brisbane (transportation, housing, food, anything else?) as well as the costs of living in Louisiana? Thanks in advance :)
Weihua have you been admitted yet? They should email you the OMSA Brisbane guide which has some of what you're looking for. The OMSA NOLA guide is here, I'm not sure if you need to be logged on to get it but give it a shot: https://medicine-program.uq.edu.au/files/20347/OMSA NOLA Guide 2021.pdf If you can't get it, let me know and I can post what they wrote in the guides.

Because I'm still overseas I can't really answer your question--I think the first and second year classes are going to be working on a lot of this stuff at the same time early next year, which is a bit unfortunate as I think it's nice to have the class above you established and able to answer questions/guide you in the right direction. But I'm sure we'll figure it out :)

Weihua have you been admitted yet? They should email you the OMSA Brisbane guide which has some of what you're looking for. The OMSA NOLA guide is here, I'm not sure if you need to be logged on to get it but give it a shot: https://medicine-program.uq.edu.au/files/20347/OMSA NOLA Guide 2021.pdf If you can't get it, let me know and I can post what they wrote in the guides.

Because I'm still overseas I can't really answer your question--I think the first and second year classes are going to be working on a lot of this stuff at the same time early next year, which is a bit unfortunate as I think it's nice to have the class above you established and able to answer questions/guide you in the right direction. But I'm sure we'll figure it out :)
Ahhh I haven't been admitted yet :( I'm still waiting to hear back, but I was just curious about the financial situation in general. Really hoping for good news next week!

Ahhh I haven't been admitted yet :( I'm still waiting to hear back, but I was just curious about the financial situation in general. Really hoping for good news next week!
Got it, well I wish you and everyone else who interviewed in August the best of luck! Just so you know, I interviewed in August last year, and I think everyone except one person in my interview cohort was initially wait listed. I was accepted on November 2nd, and a lot of other people were as well. I hope their process has improved this year so there's less interviewing for the wait list, but wanted to mention it and let you know that the wait list does usually move. Also, they don't put you on the wait list as a sort of purgatory between an acceptance and rejection like some US schools do--a wait list means you would have been accepted if there were room in the class. Hopefully things work out well for everyone! But if not, just hold on, maybe consider putting in some DO applications since there should be still time, and if the wait list moves like it usually does then you'll get a place. Really hoping things go better this year but wanted to share my experience.

To answer your question about budget, here's an excerpt from the OMSA phase 1 guide for Brisbane. Again I can't speak to how accurate this is since I'm still overseas, but it should give you a sense of the costs.
- Rent: $175-$300/week (depends on neighborhood and roommate situation)
- Utilities: $20/week (variable based on how “green” you live)
- Internet: $15-$20/week (split between whomever you live with)
- Groceries: $75-$150 per person/week
- Phone: $5-$20/week
- Public Transport: $20/week
- Entertainment: Going out is expensive and is comparable to the more expensive major US cities.
Most bars don’t charge cover, but drinks are more expensive. Movies are cheaper. Check
Groupon/LivingSocial for deals to take advantage of.
- Fitness: $15-$30/week UQ offers a gym membership and there are plenty of fitness clubs to choose
from (Fitness First, Snap Fitness, Anytime Fitness, Etc). Yoga, Pilates, dance studios, and boxing gyms
are all around Brisbane. There is free rock climbing in Kangaroo Point so bring your gear. The closest
beach (Gold Coast) is around 45 mins by car or an hour-ish by public transport. A few parks have
random equipment that’s free to use.

Got it, well I wish you and everyone else who interviewed in August the best of luck! Just so you know, I interviewed in August last year, and I think everyone except one person in my interview cohort was initially wait listed. I was accepted on November 2nd, and a lot of other people were as well. I hope their process has improved this year so there's less interviewing for the wait list, but wanted to mention it and let you know that the wait list does usually move. Also, they don't put you on the wait list as a sort of purgatory between an acceptance and rejection like some US schools do--a wait list means you would have been accepted if there were room in the class. Hopefully things work out well for everyone! But if not, just hold on, maybe consider putting in some DO applications since there should be still time, and if the wait list moves like it usually does then you'll get a place. Really hoping things go better this year but wanted to share my experience.

To answer your question about budget, here's an excerpt from the OMSA phase 1 guide for Brisbane. Again I can't speak to how accurate this is since I'm still overseas, but it should give you a sense of the costs.
Thanks for this info!! Appreciate it a ton. I've actually applied to MD/PhD programs this cycle as well and have a couple of IIs for those programs, but I just really like UQ a lot so I applied! Ahhh I had a feeling it was a little late for acceptances, so I understand if I get the WL — would be a bit of a bummer but I'll try to remain positive :)

Reactions: 1 user
Was just admitted to the 2022 class! Very excited about this — still need to wait for a few decisions before I commit, but very excited to hear this :)

• Love
Reactions: 8 users
Accepted today as well!

• Love
Reactions: 5 users
Was just admitted to the 2022 class! Very excited about this — still need to wait for a few decisions before I commit, but very excited to hear this :)

Accepted today as well!
Congrats guys ,I can't wait to meet everyone, just hope Aus open up the borders.

Just wondering has anyone got waitlist yet ?

I was accepted quite sometime ago, but I haven't gotten the updated NOLA guide? In fact, there hasn't been any communication with the admitted students except the monthly zoom-seminar for asking questions.

I was accepted quite sometime ago, but I haven't gotten the updated NOLA guide? In fact, there hasn't been any communication with the admitted students except the monthly zoom-seminar for asking questions.
For me, it was attached to the email with the offer letter. If you didn't get it, you can always just email them to ask--they're not big enough to have automated systems for this stuff, meaning someone's manually sending out offers so it's possible they just forgot to attach the OMSA guide.

Members don't see this ad :)
I think this had been asked before, how does online for 1st year of MD work? How is Anatomy learned online- is it by virtual simulations? Are exams taken at a proctored area like Pearson or something? How do students engage in extracurriculars online- do they (for example) meet on zoom?

For me, it was attached to the email with the offer letter. If you didn't get it, you can always just email them to ask--they're not big enough to have automated systems for this stuff, meaning someone's manually sending out offers so it's possible they just forgot to attach the OMSA guide.
Oh! Thanks I'll reach out to them!

I think this had been asked before, how does online for 1st year of MD work? How is Anatomy learned online- is it by virtual simulations? Are exams taken at a proctored area like Pearson or something? How do students engage in extracurriculars online- do they (for example) meet on zoom?

Sorry I just realized you were referring to the NOLA guide, not the Brisbane one. Yeah they'll give that to you at the end of year 2, but it's available online: https://medicine-program.uq.edu.au/files/20347/OMSA NOLA Guide 2021.pdf

For most online classes, it's just the lectures but over zoom. Anatomy is challenging to learn online, but I think Anatomy is just generally challenging. In-person students go to the GAF, gross anatomy facility I think, where they are able to look at actual specimens for both anatomy and pathology. UQ does not do dissections, and I think that's the case for most or all Australian medical schools. For online students, they take photos of the relevant specimens and walk through them with everyone online. It does work well for pathology, but I don't think it's especially useful for anatomy. There are also anatomy lectures but they're incredibly fast paced and are really only helpful if you already know what's going on.

Tbh anatomy is going to be tricky no matter what, it's really something you've got to learn yourself. The UQ medical student association has an anki deck specifically for anatomy, it's got about 2500 cards and is literally the only reason I've been successful at answering anatomy questions. It's a huge slog, some of those cards can (and should) be split up into multiple individual cards, but if you do it every day then you will learn anatomy. It's kind of unfortunate that the best tool for learning was made by students rather than the faculty, and the consequence is that it's not necessarily completely up to date, but it's pretty easy to fill in the gaps if you're doing all the cards. I'm actually happy we don't have to go to the GAF, I'd prefer to learn stuff on my own than spend a lot of time going there, checking in and out etc. But everyone learns differently.

Exams are given through ProctorU, so you take it at home in a closed room while someone watches you through your camera/can see your screen. I don't love that solution, and some of my classmates have run into issues, but it's worked fine for me. Interestingly exams last year (when they were forced to go online very quickly) were unproctored, and the average score was something like 10% lower this year compared to last year. Interesting how that happened.

For extracurriculars, I'm really not too sure as I haven't really done anything besides a bit of research. OMSA does host a bunch of specialty interest groups (Interest Groups – Ochsner Medical Student Association) but I think those are more active in NOLA? Not too sure. UQMS does do a bunch of stuff but it's mostly in-person or evening, meaning middle of the night for us. There's also a difference between what the Australian students are looking for in terms of ECs vs the Ochsner students. They've got a lot more time to figure out what specialty they want to pursue because of how their training works whereas we've basically got to have it figured out by end of third year or sooner if something competitive. But I think if you're interested, it would be a good idea to participate in that stuff but you do sort of have to be there in person.

• Love
Reactions: 1 users
Just wondering, is anybody having trouble getting a reply back from UQ through emails these past three weeks? I emailed to request for my CoE which I think they forgot to attach in the email/application portal. Without the CoE, I can't proceed to apply for my VISA and other of the necessary requested information.

Just wondering, is anybody having trouble getting a reply back from UQ through emails these past three weeks? I emailed to request for my CoE which I think they forgot to attach in the email/application portal. Without the CoE, I can't proceed to apply for my VISA and other of the necessary requested information.
It could be that they are midst of interviewing and reviewing applications. However, I got my CoE 2 weeks after paying the tuition and health insurance deposits. They replying to my emails 3 days~ later and this last communication with them was 3 weeks ago.

Did they sent you an invoice yet? They sent me an invoice a few business days after I paid but my COE did took a while for them to email me. I also did have issue with the payment and they communicated with me through the UQ portal ( the portal where you accept your acceptance) instead of email.

Hey guys, I’ve been a long time lurker in this thread and super excited about this program! I interviewed on Aug 19th and I still haven’t heard back from the school. I noticed in the thread that a few people already heard back. Do you guys know if it’s typical for them to send out decisions over a few days or is it all on one day? I’m just trying to figure out when I would hear back! Thanks!

Hey guys, I’ve been a long time lurker in this thread and super excited about this program! I interviewed on Aug 19th and I still haven’t heard back from the school. I noticed in the thread that a few people already heard back. Do you guys know if it’s typical for them to send out decisions over a few days or is it all on one day? I’m just trying to figure out when I would hear back! Thanks!
Hey there — did you check your portal recently? There could be updates there. I'm not sure about the timing, but you should be hearing back pretty soon if not already! Good luck!

Hey there — did you check your portal recently? There could be updates there. I'm not sure about the timing, but you should be hearing back pretty soon if not already! Good luck!
Oh, I was under the assumption that we receive an email with the decision? On the application portal, it says "assessment in progress" so I guess they're still working on the decision? Not really sure. Thanks!

Oh, I was under the assumption that we receive an email with the decision? On the application portal, it says "assessment in progress" so I guess they're still working on the decision? Not really sure. Thanks!
We do receive an email, but you never know, sometimes these things don't deliver, so just making sure!

We do receive an email, but you never know, sometimes these things don't deliver, so just making sure!
Yeah for sure! That’s what I was thinking haha. I hope it comes in soon!

Yeah for sure! That’s what I was thinking haha. I hope it comes in soon!
You could always email them too, you could mention that you saw other people in your interview cohort got decisions already so you wanted to double check. It wouldn't hurt to ask, and you never know they may have just missed your email. Or they could still be going through decisions but it would be best IMO to know either way.

You could always email them too, you could mention that you saw other people in your interview cohort got decisions already so you wanted to double check. It wouldn't hurt to ask, and you never know they may have just missed your email. Or they could still be going through decisions but it would be best IMO to know either way.
Yeah definitely. I was thinking of emailing them too but I didn’t know if it was appropriate to ask about when they would be sending out decisions. I might email them tomorrow I guess to confirm. Thanks!

Does anyone have access to the admitted student Facebook page yet? My request hasn't been approved yet :(

Does anyone have access to the admitted student Facebook page yet? My request hasn't been approved yet :(
If you wanted to DM me your Facebook info I may be able to invite you!

Does anyone know if there's any new updates about going into Australia for first years since they are aiming to hit vaccine targets? I keep checking the news, but I can't tell if there's good news or no news. Very much looking forward to leaving and being in Brisbane to meet everyone!

Does anyone know if there's any new updates about going into Australia for first years since they are aiming to hit vaccine targets? I keep checking the news, but I can't tell if there's good news or no news. Very much looking forward to leaving and being in Brisbane to meet everyone!
So far the plan to get int students in still depends on the vaccination rate but Aus is getting there fast (they are ahead of schedule, they may hit full 70% next month Oct / 80%= int student can enter) . Based on the numbers , I think us 1st year will most likely be able to come over next year so I'm hype!!!! And I would take the chance now to finish up the Visa application (working for the $$$ since....it cost like 1000$ for the whole Visa process.....)

Reactions: 2 users
So far the plan to get int students in still depends on the vaccination rate but Aus is getting there fast (they are ahead of schedule, they may hit full 70% next month Oct / 80%= int student can enter) . Based on the numbers , I think us 1st year will most likely be able to come over next year so I'm hype!!!! And I would take the chance now to finish up the Visa application (working for the $$$ since....it cost like 1000$ for the whole Visa process.....)
The cost of the visa was painful but I'm glad I got it over with now. $420 for the visa application + $500 for the health exam and related travel costs

I agree, it looks like Australia is gearing up to open up to us in the beginning of 2022. Vaccine passport systems are being prepared and Qantas is looking to resume flights around December. January might be cutting it close for us to physically arrive in Brisbane, considering vaccine hesitancy as a factor in reaching the "last mile."
1631626301346.png

QLD is among the slower states in vaccination efforts:
1631627879387.png

Reactions: 3 users
I think you guys will be able to get in early next year, but it's hard to say whether you'll be in right at the start of the semester or a few weeks in. Regarding vaccine hesitancy, I was worried about that too but in NSW 79% of the over 16 population already has their first vaccine and the other states are more limited by supply than demand, so I think they'll be able to maintain the current pace at least to 80% but we'll see!

Orientation week is the week of January 24, and I hope you all will be there in person as online orientation wasn't really the greatest thing in the world. There were a lot of campus tours/social events/meals between presentations so there was a lot of down time, and it's easier to make friends and be social before classes have started. But even if you're a bit delayed I'm sure you'll be in-person for the majority of the year, which is really exciting. Looking forward to meeting all of you soon! (and meeting my class too XD)

Application for 2022 cohort has close. Does application normally close this early? If I remember correctly they usually have it open all the way till like Oct rather than close already 😧

Application for 2022 cohort has close. Does application normally close this early? If I remember correctly they usually have it open all the way till like Oct rather than close already 😧
The final interview is in October, I'd assume they've closed applications because they've sent out all the interviews invitations they have space for, but I don't actually know how that compares to previous years. Application for 2023 is going to start soon though so probably it's time for them to work on getting that process set up.

Hey guys, just heard back. I interviewed august 19th and I got waitlisted. I think I'm one of the first people to get waitlisted? Not really sure. I guess I just have to keep waiting, hoping for some good news in the coming weeks haha. Really looking forward to be able to join this years class!

• Care
Hey guys, just heard back. I interviewed august 19th and I got waitlisted. I think I'm one of the first people to get waitlisted? Not really sure. I guess I just have to keep waiting, hoping for some good news in the coming weeks haha. Really looking forward to be able to join this years class!
Same thing happened to me last year. I interviewed in August, was waitlisted mid-September, and got an offer at the start of November. I don't have any inside information about how long the wait list is, but hopefully the same thing will happen for you!

Same thing happened to me last year. I interviewed in August, was waitlisted mid-September, and got an offer at the start of November. I don't have any inside information about how long the wait list is, but hopefully the same thing will happen for you!
Yeah definitely! Thanks for letting me know haha. Hoping for a similar result!

OMG I know this was for UQ- O, but I am hoping such miracle happens for the traditional UQ apps too <3

OMG I know this was for UQ- O, but I am hoping such miracle happens for the traditional UQ apps too <3
LOOOL my exact feelings. I was waitlisted for traditional UQ. I wonder if they still went on with round 3 and 4?

@Wolvvs Not sure if you could direct me to the appropriate line of inquiry, but how friendly is matching anesthesiology from UQ as US IMG? I've seen quite a few UQ grads match at Oschner Clinic in LA.... Is the Oschner clinic friendly to UQ grads?

@Wolvvs Not sure if you could direct me to the appropriate line of inquiry, but how friendly is matching anesthesiology from UQ as US IMG? I've seen quite a few UQ grads match at Oschner Clinic in LA.... Is the Oschner clinic friendly to UQ grads?
Are you referring to the UQ-Ochsner program, or just UQ? Assuming UQ-Ochsner, anesthesiology isn't hyper competitive like a lot of other specialties and the Ochsner Anesthesiology PD seems pretty invested in the UQ-Ochsner program, so if you want to match Anesthesiology at Ochsner you probably can.

You'd also be able to match elsewhere, depending on your scores/research/connections. Do you have any areas of the country you'd prefer to match? Find some programs you might be interested in and check their current residents or FREIDA. The problem with UQ-Ochsner is it sits in a weird middle ground between the Caribbean and a US-based school and it can be difficult to predict how program directors will see you. I'm still in first year so I can't speak to the process of matching from experience, but there are a few alumni around who might be able to answer your questions.

@Wolvvs any insight into matching OBGYN as an IMG from UQ Ochsner?
Not from personal experience lol. Looking at the match list, it seems like students are able to consistently match into obgyn so if that was your goal you probably could, I don't know much about how competitive obgyn is for IMGs though.

Hey all, just declined my acceptance to UQO for personal reasons/timing — hope someone gets off the waitlist! Good luck everyone!

I found this pdf from US DoE about UQ-O 2019 stats helpful: UQ-O Stats, from 2019
This stratifies accumulated loans for graduated students (fed vs private) and USMLE pass rates (step 1, 2ck, and 2cs). The graduation rate is likely calculated incorrectly.

I don't know if this is new info or old but it seems UQ updated some info on their page for us 2022

"Commencing students (Year 1 in 2022)
Year 1 MD students are expected to participate in person / face-to-face and this includes attending Orientation Week (24-28 January 2022).

If you are commencing your medical degree in Semester 1, 2022 and you cannot get to Brisbane due to Australian border restrictions as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, you will be able to complete Semester 1, including sitting end-of-semester examinations, online.

What if the Australian borders open before the end of Semester 1, 2022?
If you are granted approval to enter Australia during Semester 1, you are expected to travel to Brisbane as soon as possible so you can continue your studies in-person / face-to-face and on campus."

I don't know if this is new info or old but it seems UQ updated some info on their page for us 2022

"Commencing students (Year 1 in 2022)
Year 1 MD students are expected to participate in person / face-to-face and this includes attending Orientation Week (24-28 January 2022).

If you are commencing your medical degree in Semester 1, 2022 and you cannot get to Brisbane due to Australian border restrictions as a result of the COVID-19 pandemic, you will be able to complete Semester 1, including sitting end-of-semester examinations, online.

What if the Australian borders open before the end of Semester 1, 2022?
If you are granted approval to enter Australia during Semester 1, you are expected to travel to Brisbane as soon as possible so you can continue your studies in-person / face-to-face and on campus."
This seems to be mostly the same advice they've been giving, basically you need to be in person if you can but they'll start online if COVID restrictions aren't lifted in time.

I do think they're going to open the borders in time, the question may be availability of flights as there will probably be huge demand right at the start and the airlines have said ramping up supply is going to take time. Hopefully UQ will be able to help us out with flights though.

This seems to be mostly the same advice they've been giving, basically you need to be in person if you can but they'll start online if COVID restrictions aren't lifted in time.

I do think they're going to open the borders in time, the question may be availability of flights as there will probably be huge demand right at the start and the airlines have said ramping up supply is going to take time. Hopefully UQ will be able to help us out with flights though.
This is correct, I’ve been watching the vaccination rates as it’s been said that international arrivals can ramp up at 70% of 16+ population vaccinated (and further ramp up at 80% vaccinated). Most states are already at about 65-70% first doses per the latest health dept data so hopefully it’ll open up in both the inbound and outbound direction soon.

Was anyone at the town hall last night? I miss it and would love if y'all that was there could give me some info on what they talks about last night ( info about Brisbane etc) tyvm !!!!!!

Was anyone at the town hall last night? I miss it and would love if y'all that was there could give me some info on what they talks about last night ( info about Brisbane etc) tyvm !!!!!!
What town hall? Was this in an email ?😰