UQ-Ochsner 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
D

deleted1124716

Hello All - I just applied to UQ-Ocshner MD Program for the 2023 start. Let's share our journey here. Hopefully all the way to Brisbane!
Good luck to all who are applying. Seems like a really unique program!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Does anyone know if the MMI consists of all ethical/scenario-based questions, or will there be any traditional interview type questions, like tell me about yourself, or why medicine or why UQ?

For me , 2022 cycle , it was 98% scenario / ethics based but some of the follow up questions from a few interviewers were traditional which really throw me off guard

Members don't see this ad :)
For me , 2022 cycle , it was 98% scenario / ethics based but some of the follow up questions from a few interviewers were traditional which really throw me off guard
Thank you for your response. That's very interesting! From previous years threads, I noticed that if you finish before your 7 mins are up, the interviewers didn't seem to ask any follow up questions, and there was reportedly an 'awkward silence'. Was it different in 2022? Clearly you had follow up questions...

Thank you for your response. That's very interesting! From previous years threads, I noticed that if you finish before your 7 mins are up, the interviewers didn't seem to ask any follow up questions, and there was reportedly an 'awkward silence'. Was it different in 2022? Clearly you had follow up questions...
That was what I thought too when I read up on the old threads until I got throw with follow up questions so just be prepare. But it also seems to depends on the interviewers / the time frame when you interview (tbh , it seems like my interviewers were very friendly and seems interested in my answer so they threw out extra question....)

Just applied on the 20th!

decided to apply here last month after realizing my first cycle applying US MD isn’t turning out how I’d hoped. I’ve only had one interview (my state school and alma mater) with silence since then. in retrospect I probably should’ve applied to some DO schools with a 508 MCAT as an ORM…but I’ve already taken one gap year and am just really eager to start med school, plus I’ve always been interested in global medicine so UQ Ochsner seems like a great option. anyone else in a similar spot and would rather take their chances with Ochsner rather than reapply US MD next cycle?

decided to apply here last month after realizing my first cycle applying US MD isn’t turning out how I’d hoped. I’ve only had one interview (my state school and alma mater) with silence since then. in retrospect I probably should’ve applied to some DO schools with a 508 MCAT as an ORM…but I’ve already taken one gap year and am just really eager to start med school, plus I’ve always been interested in global medicine so UQ Ochsner seems like a great option. anyone else in a similar spot and would rather take their chances with Ochsner rather than reapply US MD next cycle?
I was in a similar position 2 years ago and decided to go with UQ-Ochsner. I'm just starting my second year and am overall very happy so far! Happy to answer any questions you have. Keep in mind applying for Jan 2023 start won't save you any time over applying this cycle for Sept 2023 start at US schools because both will go into the residency match at the same time--but I can absolutely understand just wanting to get this settled rather than going for another cycle that might or might not work out.

You could still hear from your state school and it would be awesome if that works out! UQ-Ochsner is a good backup choice, only thing I would say is make sure you're a good fit for the program. There are relatively few required activities compared to US schools and there's an expectation that you put in the time to learn the material yourself and seek help/support yourself if you're struggling, as the school doesn't do everything to drag students to the finish line no matter what like US schools tend to do. But not having tons of required stuff is a pretty big benefit IMO :) If that sounds like it would work for you, UQ-Ochsner would be a great choice!

Reactions: 3 users
I cant pull up the MCAT above 500. 4th attempt got 500. Have done SMP from a reputable Med school with 3.9 GPA. Any chance ??

I cant pull up the MCAT above 500. 4th attempt got 500. Have done SMP from a reputable Med school with 3.9 GPA. Any chance ??
they have a hard 504 cutoff so unfortunately I don’t think so. you could apply DO….500 is still pretty low for some US DO schools but you still have a chance.

they have a hard 504 cutoff so unfortunately I don’t think so. you could apply DO….500 is still pretty low for some US DO schools but you still have a chance.
Thank you!!

Hello! Has anyone received an II yet? It looks like IIs started going out end of February last year.

just got an II! excited as I still haven't heard back from my one US MD school. anyone else receive one? my only interview was in August so I feel kind of rusty 😅

Members don't see this ad :)
just got an II! excited as I still haven't heard back from my one US MD school. anyone else receive one? my only interview was in August so I feel kind of rusty 😅
I got mine yesterday too! rip I haven't heard back from my one USMD either and im kinda rusty too but that's ok! so happy to get this chance

I got mine last night too! So excited for this opportunity. Good luck everyone!

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 users
good luck to everyone else interviewing tomorrow!! not sure why this thread has been so quiet but I hope some of us will be classmates next year :) :)

Reactions: 2 users
Had my interview today. Good luck to all those who also interviewed today on getting that A!! April can’t come soon enough.

Hi All,
I just learned about the Ochsner program last week and immediately submitted my application.

I can see from this thread I’m a plying a little late anyone know my chances 3.5 cGPA and a 510 MCAT. Thank you in advance for any info you have.

Hi All,
I just learned about the Ochsner program last week and immediately submitted my application.

I can see from this thread I’m a plying a little late anyone know my chances 3.5 cGPA and a 510 MCAT. Thank you in advance for any info you have.
You’re not applying too late. Just stay on top of your app status until it is marked as completed. My understanding is based on your scores you have a strong chance at receiving an II and if you do well on your interview you have a strong chance of being accepted.

has anyone heard anything? thought we might be hearing back this week.

I haven’t either. Shouldn’t be much longer.

Everything got pushed back a week by the floods at the end of February and I wouldn't be surprised if the admissions meeting got pushed back as well. I know waiting is a struggle, hopefully you all will hear back soon!

Just heard back from them, got my first A 😭

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
Got the A! Looking forward to meeting everyone in Brisbane!

• Love
Just got my first A as well!!! Super excited :):):)

• Love
Got an A and accepted. Have not received a confirmation of enrollment email yet. Did you receive an email after accepting the offer on the portal?

Got an A and accepted. Have not received a confirmation of enrollment email yet. Did you receive an email after accepting the offer on the portal?
There’s going to be a webinar on Wednesday, maybe you can ask them then?

My understanding is that they need to recieve your payment and manually confirm your acceptance, generating a CoE is not done automatically so it might take a few days. I applied two years ago, I recieved my CoE about 4 days after I responded to their offer.

For current UQ-O students: I noticed that in the recent match-list for the 2021 class there were a handful of students who weren't matched into US specialties but remained in Australia. I am just curious what the process is like for students that might want to stay in Australia, especially since the university is still undergoing accreditation by the AMC (right, or am I wrong?).

The school is accredited by AMC , the new accreditation is for a full rework of the curriculum UQ been working on which should all be done fully by 2024. For staying in Australia, I don't know much about the process but I heard it was fairly straight forward. It is just that you have to be ok with how the Australia medical system works, such as not directly to straight into specialty , and all have to do general practice first, some rural meds then a lottery system kinda for specialization. It takes a longer time than the US system but does have good work life balance/acceptable income

does anyone know if there is a Facebook page or GroupMe for accepted students? if not I kinda want to create one :unsure:

Anyone received COE after acceptance? Its been 5 days already since accepting and nothing yet.

Anyone received COE after acceptance? Its been 5 days already since accepting and nothing yet.
Nope, same situation here. I'm guessing it'll be sent by early next week. Hopefully...

Just got an invoice for the deposit, they'll send the CoE once everything is wired.

My MCAT Score gets released June 14th :-( -- Do you guys think that would be too late in the game?

btw -- Congrats to everyone who got an Acceptance! :)
The application is still open, and I think interviews run through November so you still have time.

For current UQ-O students: I noticed that in the recent match-list for the 2021 class there were a handful of students who weren't matched into US specialties but remained in Australia. I am just curious what the process is like for students that might want to stay in Australia, especially since the university is still undergoing accreditation by the AMC (right, or am I wrong?).
It's not hard to stay. Just apply for internships locally. You have to hustle a bit.

It's not hard to stay. Just apply for internships locally. You have to hustle a bit.
Also they just created an internal transfer request process which could give students the opportunity to swap between UQ international and Ochsner at the end of year 2: Internal transfer request for MD and MD-Ochsner

No guarantees that a spot will be available but it could be an option depending on the situation

Also they just created an internal transfer request process which could give students the opportunity to swap between UQ international and Ochsner at the end of year 2: Internal transfer request for MD and MD-Ochsner

No guarantees that a spot will be available but it could be an option depending on the situation
Honestly there's no reason to transfer unless you want to stay in Australia all 4 years. Going to the US and being a med student there is worthwhile. And being a 'traditional' UQ vs UQ-O is irrelevant when applying for Australian internships as long as you did a few rotations in Australia. I suppose you'd save some money on tuition and not having to fly back and forth.

Honestly there's no reason to transfer unless you want to stay in Australia all 4 years. Going to the US and being a med student there is worthwhile. And being a 'traditional' UQ vs UQ-O is irrelevant when applying for Australian internships as long as you did a few rotations in Australia. I suppose you'd save some money on tuition and not having to fly back and forth.
My understanding is that Australian citizens and PR graduates of Qld universities participate in something similar to the US match, and that the hospitals with unfilled spots then evaluate the remaining applicants and decide who to extend offers to based on merit. It would make sense to me that staying in Australia for 3rd and 4th year, being able to make connections and show commitment, might help with that merit-based evaluation, but I don't know anything about the process each hospital uses to evaluate applicants so it's entirely possible they won't really care.

Other potential advantages to switching could be not having to deal with USMLE exams, and maybe not having to drag your family between continents multiple times if that's an issue. But otherwise yeah it seems like it might be easier to just stay in the Ochsner program.

Hospitals primarily want you to show interest and have done some rotations in Australia to get your referee letters. Plus there are always spots left over. There's no 'connections' to be made really with staff consultants. Medical education for each hospital service who is primarily responsible for intern recruitment outside of the initial first round picks that go to the group A applicants are going to select applicants based on merit. Those merits are going to be your referee letters, going to their open house day and saying hello so they can put a name to a face, sending a resume and cover letter why you want to go there, demonstrate some evidence to them that you won't just leave halfway through the year if you match back in the US, and keeping in touch with the admin at the hospitals and preferencing those places first. Unless you get a late spot due to someone dropping out for whatever reason you are going to be limited to a few regional hospitals or going down the private CMI route.

Unless this process has changed in the past 4 years this is what I went through.

Has anyone received confirmation of enrollment since their acceptance? I received my acceptance letter on April 11th and accepted my offer on April 12th but haven't heard anything since. I won't graduate until June 5th so my final transcript and diploma won't come in until then. I provided the necessary documents in replacement of that but I'm a little nervous now.

My understanding is that you received a conditional acceptance, which is conditional upon graduating and spots available in the class. You can confirm this with the Oschner office for your peace of mind. My recollection from reading past years' forums is that the class doesn't start to fill until September or so, so you should be fine.