UQ-Ochsner 2018 Cohort

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
So to the current students here I got something I was hoping you might be able to clarify. I spoke with the mededpath advisor the other day about the upcoming interview this friday and she said unlike other med school interviews I should not make an effort to "sell myself" when answering the questions with my examples. Does that sound right to you? It's been so ingrained in my head from adolescence till today to always do the opposite so naturally I am a bit skeptical of this particular piece of advice.

Also she said that I should try to provide 4-5 examples per question. Honestly that seems like A LOT of examples to have ready originally I was preparing 2-3. Is it okay to have some overlap with my examples between questions? Like is it okay to use separate anecdotes from say the same research experience for more than one of the domain related questions or does that make you look inexperienced having to draw upon the same experience more than once?

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 1 user
Hey where do you interview at in NOLA anyway? In the academic building across the street on Jeff Highway?

I believe so. My confirmation email said "On Friday, please meet at the receptionist desk in the Academic Center (1401 Jefferson Highway; New Orleans, LA) at 12:45 p.m."

Members don't see this ad :)
Hey where do you interview at in NOLA anyway? In the academic building across the street on Jeff Highway?

Yes, in the academic building. They will take you through a quick tour of the hospital as well.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

So to the current students here I got something I was hoping you might be able to clarify. I spoke with the mededpath advisor the other day about the upcoming interview this friday and she said unlike other med school interviews I should not make an effort to "sell myself" when answering the questions with my examples. Does that sound right to you? It's been so ingrained in my head from adolescence till today to always do the opposite so naturally I am a bit skeptical of this particular piece of advice.

Also she said that I should try to provide 4-5 examples per question. Honestly that seems like A LOT of examples to have ready originally I was preparing 2-3. Is it okay to have some overlap with my examples between questions? Like is it okay to use separate anecdotes from say the same research experience for more than one of the domain related questions or does that make you look inexperienced having to draw upon the same experience more than once?

You definitely want to "sell yourself" in the way that they see you will finish the program, add value to the program (through research/step scores/matching), that you will be dedicated enough to self study and do well on Step, and that you are an interesting person outside of science. But my guess is that she means don't do so in an arrogant way or try to embellish anything. Just be confident and genuine. And yes, they want lots of examples. It is okay if the same experiences are used in multiple questions, as long as they apply to the questions they are asking, but the more experiences you can provide the better. Overall, I'd say don't stress too much. It really is one of the easier med school interviews, albeit a little awkward in nature if your interviewers follow the rules of not engaging in conversation.

Reactions: 1 users

You're always trying to sell yourself in an interview, thats the point. I wouldn't worry so much about quantifying examples. It needs to just happen organically, I'm pretty sure I just took whatever they asked me and ran with it, maybe speaking the whole time about 1 experience, and it wasn't just like a list of things to get me to 4 or 5. Then other questions blindsided me and I barely had anything to say. Its pretty organic. I wouldn't worry too much just practice answering questions related to the domains.

You're always trying to sell yourself in an interview, thats the point. I wouldn't worry so much about quantifying examples. It needs to just happen organically, I'm pretty sure I just took whatever they asked me and ran with it, maybe speaking the whole time about 1 experience, and it wasn't just like a list of things to get me to 4 or 5. Then other questions blindsided me and I barely had anything to say. Its pretty organic. I wouldn't worry too much just practice answering questions related to the domains.

I agree. Don't memorize and regurgitate a list. Be human and genuine. I told my story and got them interested and engaged, and by the end they were laughing and joking with me. Know the domains, have some examples of experiences that apply to each domain, and just go in with some confidence. You guys will do fine. Then after you kill it you can head down to French Quarter and celebrate.

Do 3rd/4th years have the opportunity to do away rotations?

Yes, there is opportunity to do away rotations.

Away from ochsner?
it's hard to arrange, usually requiring at least a year of planning in advance. but yes.
(ochsner helped people with this previously)
compared to the UQ trad guys, it's relatively easier for UQO students to do away rotations at other US medical schools.
(the best crack they have at US rotations is Ochsner rotations - whatever is left after UQO students have their rotations or whatever away electives set).

are they necessary for the match?
no.

plenty of grads (UQO or UQ trad) have matched in states they had no connections to previously.
so long as you had American LORs in your field of interest.

How did you guys feel about the interview?

Does anyone overthink things right after? I will say Im pretty good at interviews. However, this one just had me so nervous. I felt I was talking so fast and rambling at times. Still, I felt I was during fairly well because they seemed to respond postively. However, now that its done, I cant help but think I didnt sell myself enough. Or that I didnt really show them my true motivations to become a doctor. There was one thing I really wanted to talk about during my interview and I totally forgot to bring it up! I thought it was one of the strongest part of my history that I felt would've helped me stand out and I didnt even mention it!

Im trying to remind myself that its out of my hands now and theres nothing I can do. However, it still stresses me out when I think about it. Anyone feel the same way?

How did you guys feel about the interview?

Does anyone overthink things right after? I will say Im pretty good at interviews. However, this one just had me so nervous. I felt I was talking so fast and rambling at times. Still, I felt I was during fairly well because they seemed to respond postively. However, now that its done, I cant help but think I didnt sell myself enough. Or that I didnt really show them my true motivations to become a doctor. There was one thing I really wanted to talk about during my interview and I totally forgot to bring it up! I thought it was one of the strongest part of my history that I felt would've helped me stand out and I didnt even mention it!

Im trying to remind myself that its out of my hands now and theres nothing I can do. However, it still stresses me out when I think about it. Anyone feel the same way?

Dude, everyone second guesses themselves after interviews and thinks about what else they could have brought up, and realizes things they forgot to mention. Don't worry about it. You're always gonna feel nervous.

Members don't see this ad :)
The experience was challenging-different than any other interview via Skype

Why are all you tripping over your interview? You're admitted basically in order of applying so long as you didn't say you were a criminal.

I wish it wasn't true, but it is. *Sigh* it's unfortunate how easy it is to get in.

Why are all you tripping over your interview? You're admitted basically in order of applying so long as you didn't say you were a criminal.

I know you want the program to be more competitive, but as an applicant I'm happy with the way it is so far haha.

I realize that the consensus is that as long as you're not a psycho, you're most likely accepted once you've been granted an interview. However, it just seems hard to believe that they would accept everyone. Lets say there's an average of 30 people interviewing a month (skype and in person). If they end the cycle on November like it was in the past, thats ahout 300 applicants for 120 seats. I wish they would publish their acceptance rate.

Btw, is it true that they dont send our personal statements to UQ? I read in one of the forums here that only our gpa and MCAT are sent. I've looked on mededpath, and it doesn't mention that at all. Only that are letters of recommendation are kept in the office until our rotations.

I just got an email saying the applications are not currently being processed since 2018 requirements have not yet been confirmed… weird.

Last edited:
I know you want the program to be more competitive, but as an applicant I'm happy with the way it is so far haha.

I realize that the consensus is that as long as you're not a psycho, you're most likely accepted once you've been granted an interview. However, it just seems hard to believe that they would accept everyone. Lets say there's an average of 30 people interviewing a month (skype and in person). If they end the cycle on November like it was in the past, thats ahout 300 applicants for 120 seats. I wish they would publish their acceptance rate.

They don't end the cycle in November. Usually the class is full in August-September

I just got an email saying they applications are not currently being processed since 2018 requirements have not yet been confirmed… weird.
That is kind of weird... Maybe they're waiting to see how many qualified applicants they have so they can raise the requirements?

That is kind of weird... Maybe they're waiting to see how many qualified applicants they have so they can raise the requirements?

If that's the case I would be seriously upset if I were an applicant just at the minimum, invited to interview and took a trip down to NoLa only to find out they weren't gonna even look at the application. And since they already raised requirements from last year.

I hope thats not the case. I received the same email too after my interview. It would just be awful to have them rescind the application because the requirements changed.

They don't end the cycle in November. Usually the class is full in August-September

You're right. My friend told me she applied late September last year and they told her the interview slots were full already.

I wish it wasn't true, but it is. *Sigh* it's unfortunate how easy it is to get in.

My year, class of 2019 MCAT minimum was 499 for interview, glancing at the mededpath website it looks like 500 was the new cutoff for the year after me? with applications not even being processed now because entering 2018 class requirements haven't been finalized yet.

That being said, I have a lot of second year friends who tutor first years for USMLE or for UQMS peer tutoring and they've mentioned how smart your class is overall....smarter than our class. So not sure why you're so down on it.

Any idea, in past years, how much the requirements have differed from those posted on the mededpath website? In my emails to them, I was under the impression it was set at 2.67gpa and 500mcat?

Any idea, in past years, how much the requirements have differed from those posted on the mededpath website? In my emails to them, I was under the impression it was set at 2.67gpa and 500mcat?

Not sure what you mean. The requirements posted on the website are the requirements. They don't differ. You need a B average and a 500 MCAT to be granted an interview.

Not sure what you mean. The requirements posted on the website are the requirements. They don't differ. You need a B average and a 500 MCAT to be granted an interview.
Someone earlier in the thread said that an email went out that processing was on-hold, since the requirements haven't been finalized for 2018? Is the cutoff for an interview different than a cutoff for acceptance?

Someone earlier in the thread said that an email went out that processing was on-hold, since the requirements haven't been finalized for 2018? Is the cutoff for an interview different than a cutoff for acceptance?

They may be in the process of updating the website, and that the requirements for 2018 haven't been finalized, i.e. the website only has the requirements for 2017. March is still pretty early and I'm not sure if they started doing interviews yet for 2018?

I would check with mededpath

Interviews for the 2018 cohort began in February. A month or so ago, the mededpath website said the 2018 minimum standards were not yet set, however, it looks like they are now (at least according to the website). My interview is not until April, so I can not comment on this post-interview email, but the website does seem to state the 2018 standards.

Interviews for the 2018 cohort began in February. A month or so ago, the mededpath website said the 2018 minimum standards were not yet set, however, it looks like they are now (at least according to the website). My interview is not until April, so I can not comment on this post-interview email, but the website does seem to state the 2018 standards.

So they raised the MCAT minimum 1 point between last year and this year. From 499 to 500 @Zifish .

Do you guys think that its only the mcat requirements that arent confirmed yet? On the actual UQ website (not mededpath) it says that the gpa requirement is 5.0 out of 7.0. For the mcat requirement, it is TBA. I wonder how much of the mcat would change, if at all. The average last year was 503.69. So, I dont see them making the requirement higher than 500.

Unless they are just confirming that the change from 499 to 500 is correct?

When's the first round of acceptances come out

Do you guys think that its only the mcat requirements that arent confirmed yet? On the actual UQ website (not mededpath) it says that the gpa requirement is 5.0 out of 7.0. For the mcat requirement, it is TBA. I wonder how much of the mcat would change, if at all. The average last year was 503.69. So, I dont see them making the requirement higher than 500.

That is my understanding but why don't you email mededpath.

The average last year was 503.69. So, I dont see them making the requirement higher than 500.
Would depend on the spread, not just the mean. If it's tight on the lower tail, then sure, they could go higher.

Keep in mind they have rolling admissions, so they would also have applicant stats for those who applied too late -- there could be a considerable number who had a few points above the mean which wouldn't show in acceptance stats but they could be anticipating again.

That is my understanding but why don't you email mededpath.
Oh I cant count how many times Ive called them for a question. In scared now haha (jk sort of). But yes I think Ill give them another call in a few days if the requirement hasnt been confirmed yet.

Oh I cant count how many times Ive called them for a question. In scared now haha (jk sort of). But yes I think Ill give them another call in a few days if the requirement hasnt been confirmed yet.
The webinar tonight by mededpath had 2.67 and 499 as the cutoffs? I'm confused...

The webinar tonight by mededpath had 2.67 and 499 as the cutoffs? I'm confused...

Maybe they messed up and used old numbers or perhaps since the 2015+ mcat avg went down a point (although the old mcat avg is now 30) from the 2016 cohort to the 2017 cohort and they adjusted accordingly in order to fill the class.

Last edited:

The average has nothing to do with the minimums. A high average just means that a lot of qualified people are matriculating into the program. Most people I know here were well above the minimums. The minimums will be set based on their yield as they look to see how well/quickly they can fill their class with good applicants who won't leave for greener pastures/ fail out / not pass step 1. The better known the program gets, the more applicants apply, the higher they can jack up their minimum standards. Ultimately their goal is to fill a class to make money, and fill a class with people who will score high on Step 1 and get good residencies which makes them look better and then attract more good applicants.

But I can understand that if you are borderline right now at 499/500 you want some clarity on this.

Random question: How did you guys mail your applications? Is it ok if I just fold it and mail it in a standard envelope?

Random question: How did you guys mail your applications? Is it ok if I just fold it and mail it in a standard envelope?

That's how I did it. The only thing you can't mail with it is obviously your transcripts and LORs, if you want to include them that is.

Ok I have a silly question. For those who were accepted previous years, do you guys remember what the subject line on your email said? Did it say congratulations?
My Internet is so slow that sometimes it takes minutes to open an email. I don't know if I can handle that once I receive the email for uq/ochsner decision haha.

Anyone know when 2018 requirements will be confirmed and applications will start to be processed?

Anyone know when 2018 requirements will be confirmed and applications will start to be processed?
The email I got from mededpath said the entrance requirements are re-evaluate every year, and is usually done in April. So hopefully this month, but they did say the cutoffs have stayed consistent at 2.67gpa and 499mcat for the past few years so maybe it won't change?

For those of you who have interviewed in person, do you find out your exact interview time the day of the interview?

Has anyone gotten any acceptances yet? I know I'm just being impatient, they said 6-8 weeks and my interview was only 3.5 weeks ago. It's shocking how much time, energy and money goes into this process and it will be suchhh a relief to see the next step as an actual reality. Plus I can't wait to get the hell out of America in this political climate. I don't care what anyone says, to me this program seems like a luxurious and highly educational opportunity, we'll get out of it what we put into it, I hope some of us are classmates next year! :)

Reactions: 2 users
Has anyone gotten any acceptances yet? I know I'm just being impatient, they said 6-8 weeks and my interview was only 3.5 weeks ago. It's shocking how much time, energy and money goes into this process and it will be suchhh a relief to see the next step as an actual reality. Plus I can't wait to get the hell out of America in this political climate. I don't care what anyone says, to me this program seems like a luxurious and highly educational opportunity, we'll get out of it what we put into it, I hope some of us are classmates next year! :)
I know what you mean! I'm constantly checking this forum and Mededpath for some sort of news. So far, the requirements aren't confirmed so I guess they aren't reviewing the applications yet? I guess that means people who interviewed in February have been waiting for about 8 weeks already.

So far, the requirements aren't confirmed so I guess they aren't reviewing the applications yet?
I wouldn't believe that they aren't reviewing the applications, at least on a statistical level -- maybe conversely they're seeing how strong the early applicants are before setting the requirements. Cynical, I know, but I wouldn't put it past them.