UQ-Ochsner 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
II May 19th!

Members don't see this ad.

Reactions: 2 users
For the interview, is it only 8 MMI questions or will they also be asking questions about myself or regular interview questions?

For the interview, is it only 8 MMI questions or will they also be asking questions about myself or regular interview questions?
for my interview it was only the 8 MMI questions but some of them asked related follow up questions if we had time at the end.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hospitals primarily want you to show interest and have done some rotations in Australia to get your referee letters. Plus there are always spots left over. There's no 'connections' to be made really with staff consultants. Medical education for each hospital service who is primarily responsible for intern recruitment outside of the initial first round picks that go to the group A applicants are going to select applicants based on merit. Those merits are going to be your referee letters, going to their open house day and saying hello so they can put a name to a face, sending a resume and cover letter why you want to go there, demonstrate some evidence to them that you won't just leave halfway through the year if you match back in the US, and keeping in touch with the admin at the hospitals and preferencing those places first. Unless you get a late spot due to someone dropping out for whatever reason you are going to be limited to a few regional hospitals or going down the private CMI route.

Unless this process has changed in the past 4 years this is what I went through.
Agreed with Sean. And tbh being a med student at Ochsner is a way better experience than spending 3rd and 4th year in Australia. I know UQO students that just did their 1 return rotation in Australia, no extra rotations and were able to obtain an internship. The most important thing is just showing your face to the intern recruitment office.

That's awesome, congratulations :)

Hopefully others here got some good news as well!
what was your interview date? I interviewed 5/19 --they said a few weeks but i'm so anxious to hear!

what was your interview date? I interviewed 5/19 --they said a few weeks but i'm so anxious to hear!
Sorry for any confusion! I'm actually a current second year, just dropping in occasionally in case there's any questions I can help out with.

I think it's likely that you'll hear back next week as more often than not they release results on the third week after the interview. Good luck!!!

Would you elaborate on why that is?
You're learning how to be a good resident as a third year med student in the U.S. Seeing patient independently, presenting patients, doing some minor procedures, and full days (treated like a full time job despite being a student), it's just more intense designed to show you what your life will be like as an intern. Australian 3rd year students mostly shadow and only for a few hours each day, show up whenever leave whenever. Just a different system, much more laid back.

Sorry for any confusion! I'm actually a current second year, just dropping in occasionally in case there's any questions I can help out with.

I think it's likely that you'll hear back next week as more often than not they release results on the third week after the interview. Good luck!!!
no worries. circling back...

i got in! couldn't hit accept on that offer fast enough lol.

• Love
no worries. circling back...

i got in! couldn't hit accept on that offer fast enough lol.
That's awesome, congratulations!!!

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions about visa stuff etc. There's plenty of time so no rush (and you can't really get started until you get your CoE anyway) but it is a good idea to get that stuff out of the way so you don't have to worry about it.

Congrats to all the acceptance!! Don't hesitate to ask any questions!! We are all here to help

Reactions: 1 users
That's awesome, congratulations!!!

Feel free to let me know if you have any questions about visa stuff etc. There's plenty of time so no rush (and you can't really get started until you get your CoE anyway) but it is a good idea to get that stuff out of the way so you don't have to worry about it.
Thank you!! I'm so excited. Students and staff alike have all been so hands on and welcoming, it's truly incredible.
So it looks like one of the visa requirements is that we have sufficient funds. Does that mean order of operations is CoE, FAFSA, then visa? On the UQ financial aid webpage i saw something about the period to apply for FAFSA is August-October for Semester 1. Is this just a suggestion? Can I just start on FAFSA as soon as I get my CoE?

Members don't see this ad :)
Thank you!! I'm so excited. Students and staff alike have all been so hands on and welcoming, it's truly incredible.
So it looks like one of the visa requirements is that we have sufficient funds. Does that mean order of operations is CoE, FAFSA, then visa? On the UQ financial aid webpage i saw something about the period to apply for FAFSA is August-October for Semester 1. Is this just a suggestion? Can I just start on FAFSA as soon as I get my CoE?
The August - October period are UQ's dates for when they will accept financial aid forms. You will likely need to complete the 2022-2023 FAFSA, which is already available. You will also need to complete the Master Promissory Note for Stafford and PLUS loans. You should be able to do both of those things now (no need to wait for CoE--but no rush at this point either), and then submit the US loan request form to UQ financial aid in August once they start processing applications.

For the visa, you should be able to apply as soon as you get the CoE. I don't think there was any actual evidence needed for sufficient funds if you say you're taking out student loans (just checked my account and I didn't submit any documentation). The officials processing the visas tend to be aware of what resources are available to you as a US student.

Reactions: 1 user
The August - October period are UQ's dates for when they will accept financial aid forms. You will likely need to complete the 2022-2023 FAFSA, which is already available. You will also need to complete the Master Promissory Note for Stafford and PLUS loans. You should be able to do both of those things now (no need to wait for CoE--but no rush at this point either), and then submit the US loan request form to UQ financial aid in August once they start processing applications.

For the visa, you should be able to apply as soon as you get the CoE. I don't think there was any actual evidence needed for sufficient funds if you say you're taking out student loans (just checked my account and I didn't submit any documentation). The officials processing the visas tend to be aware of what resources are available to you as a US student.
very helpful-thank you!

I completed the 2022-23 FAFSA but don’t see any information regarding the MPN for Stafford and Plus loans. Do we get these after we submit documentation to UQ? Or do I also need to apply for the “PLUS Loan for Graduate or Professional Students”?

I completed the 2022-23 FAFSA but don’t see any information regarding the MPN for Stafford and Plus loans. Do we get these after we submit documentation to UQ? Or do I also need to apply for the “PLUS Loan for Graduate or Professional Students”?
Link is here:

It should be the second option, graduate/professional student. If you plan to borrow at a minimum for tuition, you will need to fill out the MPN for both PLUS and Subsidized/Unsubsidized loans. Again, this is far from urgent as it shouldn't take more than a few minutes to do!

you need both stafford and plus. the max you can take out in stafford loans is i think $20500 (somewhere around there) and you can take out the rest in grad plus. the difference is that the interest rate is higher for grad plus loans, so you should max out the stafford loans first and then take out whatever you need from grad plus loans.

Hi everyone, I recently saw this program and I’m getting to become more interested in attending here. I want to start to January 2024, so when do I apply for this program, Should I apply now, or is it too late? I’m taking my mcat January 2023. Also can anyone share their experiences with the program? Feel free to DM me or whatever you feel. Just trying to get a lay of the land because it seems like a great program and a great alternative to going to the Caribbean.

Hi everyone, I recently saw this program and I’m getting to become more interested in attending here. I want to start to January 2024, so when do I apply for this program, Should I apply now, or is it too late? I’m taking my mcat January 2023. Also can anyone share their experiences with the program? Feel free to DM me or whatever you feel. Just trying to get a lay of the land because it seems like a great program and a great alternative to going to the Caribbean.
Applications for Jan 2024 should open around November this year. Interviews will probably start March 2023 and will continue through most of the year. I agree, this is much better than going to a Caribbean school! I would always suggest going through at least one US application cycle first, but UQ-Ochsner can be an excellent option if you don't find success and if factors other than MCAT are holding you back.

Hey, just popping in! Also a current first year Ochsner if there’s anything you want to know :)

are the interviews yall are talking about for the cycle starting this year?

Oh! I have an interview with them later this August. I didnt realize the school started in January.
Yup! I think the august session is round 3 of interviews, but start isn’t till January. A lot of people apply for the cycle beginning august in the US and then go to UQ in January if they aren’t successful in USMD apps.

Last year 88 UQ-Ochsner students got residencies. However, that class started out with 130 UQ-Ochsner students. You have been warned.

Seriously, stay very far away from this SCAM. It is a mistake. Re-apply to US MD schools next cycle, go to a DO school, or go to a Caribbean school. Those are all far better options. There are some success stories from this program, but you are setting yourself up for additional difficulties that the other options avoid. This MD program is more expensive than Harvard's. Ochsner could have easily started a new US medical school on their own, but that would make them bound by the US non-profit rules, and they'd be required to put all of your tuition toward your education. In order to make this a revenue generating venture for the hospital, they partnered with UQ. The program is designed to cut all the services they possibly can in order to maximize revenue for the hospital's general fund. UQ uses their side of your extra tuition to fund research.

Including Australian and other international students, your class will start out with 500 students. You will be nothing more than a face in the crowd and easily dispensable.

The Australian and US medical curriculums are vastly different, to the point of being nearly incompatible. This is what makes the Caribbean schools a better choice. They follow a US curriculum because they know their students will be taking the USMLE exams and applying in the US. Conversely, UQ is very focused on the Australian students, who do not the USMLE or any comparable exam. Consequently, as a UQ-Oshcner student, you will be stuck memorizing "the most common cause of ______ in southern Australia" while your US MD counterparts are much more focused on understanding pathophysiology for the US boards and clerkships.

On residency applications there is no preference between Australian or Caribbean graduates. They're both just IMGs.

Last edited:
Last year 88 UQ-Ochsner students got residencies. However, that class started out with 130 UQ-Ochsner students. You have been warned.

Seriously, stay very far away from this SCAM. It is a mistake. Re-apply to US MD schools next cycle, go to a DO school, or go to a Caribbean school. Those are all far better options. There are some success stories from this program, but you are setting yourself up for additional difficulties that the other options avoid. This MD program is more expensive than Harvard's. Ochsner could have easily started a new US medical school on their own, but that would make them bound by the US non-profit rules, and they'd be required to put all of your tuition toward your education. In order to make this a revenue generating venture for the hospital, they partnered with UQ. The program is designed to cut all the services they possibly can in order to maximize revenue for the hospital's general fund. UQ uses their side of your extra tuition to fund research.

Including Australian and other international students, your class will start out with 500 students. You will be nothing more than a face in the crowd and easily dispensable.

The Australian and US medical curriculums are vastly different, to the point of being nearly incompatible. This is what makes the Caribbean schools a better choice. They follow a US curriculum because they know their students will be taking the USMLE exams and applying in the US. Conversely, UQ is very focused on the Australian students, who do not the USMLE or any comparable exam. Consequently, as a UQ-Oshcner student, you will be stuck memorizing "the most common cause of ______ in southern Australia" while your US MD counterparts are much more focused on understanding pathophysiology for the US boards and clerkships.

On residency applications there is no preference between Australian or Caribbean graduates. They're both just IMGs.
I'm a current second year student, so I can't speak to the match process and I don't have any inside information on class size/attrition or funding. I don't agree with all of this, and for much of the rest I don't feel as strongly as you do, but it is still worth having a discussion. This program is unique and presents unique opportunities and challenges, and it is essential to understand those before deciding to apply here.

• Attrition
    • I don't have any details on this. The class is large which makes it hard to know how many people may have left the program. Anecdotally, the only people I know to have left had made it into US schools during their first year and decided to switch, but others may have left for other reasons. While I can't comment on the statistics, I can say that there is no 'weeding out' process like the one used at Caribbean schools. The path to success is made very clear and is very achievable if you put in the work.
  • Tuition/use of funds
    • The tuition is quite high. I'm not sure why Harvard is the point of comparison though as it is not the highest price medical school in the US. Tuition at UQ-Ochsner is currently $67,456 which is closer to that of a non-public university. The tuition at Dartmouth Geisel for example is $67,532. Tuition at certain DO schools can be similar or even higher. This isn't hidden from you, but it is important to be aware of.
    • I have no insight into how funds are allocated, and I don't really care as long as I'm given the opportunity to succeed. I'm still in second year so have not reached New Orleans yet, but I haven't heard about any specific issues with the teaching from the classes above me. Ochsner Health provided teaching to medical students from other schools before establishing the Ochsner Clinical School as well. Regarding issues with medical school/funds allocation--it's common to hear complaints even from students at US medical schools about how their tuition is being allocated. Also important to note that the Caribbean schools you've recommended (and some schools in the US as well) are for-profit. Ochsner is not-for-profit, and UQ is a public institution.
  • Large class size
    • Yes this is true, especially for the first two years. But because of the way the class is split up between different teaching sites, it doesn't feel nearly as large. The school does its best to both give you some consistency but also encourage meeting new people. Activities regularly scheduled with a wide variety of group sizes. Generally you stay with your CBL group but get to meet different sets of students from your clinical unit. The large class size does have some challenges but I haven't felt that it has caused any issues. Again, Caribbean schools you've recommended as an alternative can have much larger class sizes, Ross for example has around 900 per year.
  • Curriculum
    • This is where I disagree the most. I think things might have changed since you went through the program, and things will continue to change as a major overhaul to the curriculum will be implemented next year. But as things currently stand, you basically get through all the systems in 3 semesters then have a relatively light 4th semester to prepare for Step 1, which is what I'm doing now. The only things I feel were missing from the UQ curriculum are microbiology and biochemistry. Micro is easier to learn yourself with Sketchy. Biochem is a bit harder, but it's never been a huge part of Step 1 and now that it's p/f seems to be relatively low yield. There is some Australia-specific stuff, but that's part of the draw of this program!
  • IMG status during match
    • I'm not qualified to speak to this as I have not gone through the match process. I can only say that the match list looks a lot closer to an MD school than a Caribbean school.
I don't think UQ-Ochsner should be anyone's first choice unless they're in a unique situation where they might need to move to Australia but want to still have an option to remain in the US. But I do think it's a far better option than a Caribbean school, and there are valid reasons to choose it over a DO school depending on the situation (far better access to research/opportunity for a PhD, stable secure and reasonable rotation sites).

Second what Wolvvs has said above, in addition, yes Ochsner is more expensive than Harvard, but it’s $66k versus $67k. Once you throw in the cost of health insurance ($2000 for 4 years in Australia vs $4000 PER YEAR there) I doubt that difference is gonna deter many people.

There are small group discussions and I personally have enough support for me (UQ helped me get financial compensation and exam adjustments following an incident where I was victim of a crime). We have also spent exactly zero time memorizing anything about “the most common cause of __ in south Australia” because the school is in fact in Queensland. We do normal pathophysiology stuff as well.

I also wouldn’t call the curriculum incompatible either. We are learning the same things as US students, just perhaps not in the same order.

I chose Ochsner because I didn’t want to go Caribbean and Ochsner’s match list had a lot more things I’m interested in on it, rather than being very primary care heavy. Also, if this is the same UqRegret from last year, a lot of your talking points from back then and also this post are hyperbolic and unnecessarily fearmongering. The program is not trying to cut corners, they are trying to create doctors.

Yeah - so this is basically all wrong and likely some student that went there for a semester, couldn't cut it and quit and this is their way of justfiying that decision. If they were a medical student for more than 30 seconds they'd know that studying for board exams and classes are not the same thing no matter where you study and both are separate parts of medical school that everyone does.

Additionally that 88 out of 130 number - yeah, even if that were exactly true as written (highly doubt it since people go back to work in Australia), people do end up taking an extra year to graduate and there are other mitigating things.

That's all I will bother to post - there is no reason to continue.

Second what Wolvvs has said above, in addition, yes Ochsner is more expensive than Harvard, but it’s $66k versus $67k. Once you throw in the cost of health insurance ($2000 for 4 years in Australia vs $4000 PER YEAR there) I doubt that difference is gonna deter many people.

There are small group discussions and I personally have enough support for me (UQ helped me get financial compensation and exam adjustments following an incident where I was victim of a crime). We have also spent exactly zero time memorizing anything about “the most common cause of __ in south Australia” because the school is in fact in Queensland. We do normal pathophysiology stuff as well.

I also wouldn’t call the curriculum incompatible either. We are learning the same things as US students, just perhaps not in the same order.

I chose Ochsner because I didn’t want to go Caribbean and Ochsner’s match list had a lot more things I’m interested in on it, rather than being very primary care heavy. Also, if this is the same UqRegret from last year, a lot of your talking points from back then and also this post are hyperbolic and unnecessarily fearmongering. The program is not trying to cut corners, they are trying to create doctors.
Do you know what the medical insurance situation is when we go to NOLA? I'm thinking OSHC doesn't work once we get into the states-do they set us up with Ochsner insurance or something?

Do you know what the medical insurance situation is when we go to NOLA? I'm thinking OSHC doesn't work once we get into the states-do they set us up with Ochsner insurance or something?
Yeah OSHC is for coverage in Australia only, for the first 2 years and during the 4th year rotation. You'll need health insurance in the US once you get back. There's more info here: Orientation

You can take the health plan offered by OCS which isn't bad, buy one from the marketplace, stay on parent or partner's plan if under 26/married, or apply for Medicaid.

has anyone heard back from the Aug 25th MMIs? I thought they said we'd hear back in 1-2 weeks but I haven't heard anything :(

has anyone heard back from the Aug 25th MMIs? I thought they said we'd hear back in 1-2 weeks but I haven't heard anything :(
I have not heard anything either, but I am pretty sure they said up to 3 weeks to hear back.

8/25 MMI here! Update for people asking: heard back and was waitlisted on 9/13, accepted 9/26!

Last edited:
8/25 MMI here - just received an acceptance today!

Congrats to everyone that got accepted!!!! Welcome to the UQO family.

Here is the official Facebook group for the 2026 cohort , don't forget to join!!!

Facebook group class of 2026

And please let me know if you have any questions???

• Love
So if you’re applying now, What would be your start date? January 2023? I guess I’m not understanding the timeline of this schools app cycle?

So if you’re applying now, What would be your start date? January 2023? I guess I’m not understanding the timeline of this schools app cycle?
Yes, although it is starting to get a bit late. Here's a bit more info about the application cycle: Important dates

Last interview session is this month (I think?) or it might have been august, I’m not sure. The chances of getting in decrease with each round as more of the class is filled so you’re more likely to be waitlisted than accepted now. However, a lot of people do come off the waitlist every year!

School here starts in January because of Southern Hemisphere summer so it’d be like interviewing in January for an August start date in the US.

Current UQO 4th year here. Made an SDN account cuz it's a bit slow waiting for interviews to trickle in. Willing to answer questions if anyone has them including things like moving to Brisbane, what rotations are like, applying to residency etc.

if i decide to defer until 2024 do i still need to pay the deposit?

I don’t believe there’s an option to defer. I think you would need to reapply for the 2024 start.
i think i figured it out! there is! you are able to defer for one year but would have to interview again… not ideal.

Hi! So what would my stats have to look like to matriculate into this school? My gpa is around a 3.4 and I haven’t taken my mcat yet but I assume it’ll be above where it needs to be, thanks!

Hi! So what would my stats have to look like to matriculate into this school? My gpa is around a 3.4 and I haven’t taken my mcat yet but I assume it’ll be above where it needs to be, thanks!
2022 class demographics
Average age: 25
Terminal degree background: Bachelors 81%, Masters 19%
Average GPA: Masters Degree 3.45, Bachelors Degree 3.4
MCAT average: 508

2022 class demographics
Average age: 25
Terminal degree background: Bachelors 81%, Masters 19%
Average GPA: Masters Degree 3.45, Bachelors Degree 3.4
MCAT average: 508

My GPA was 2.8 and I made it in😅

The quota for starting in 2023 has been reached, so even though I have accepted my offer, I have been waitlisted once again...

The quota for starting in 2023 has been reached, so even though I have accepted my offer, I have been waitlisted once again...
there's still time! I'm sure there will be some to drop out and some not able to afford it. you got this !

Agree with peaches on this one. There are always a few people that drop out in Nov/Dec, so if you're really keen I'd keep preparing as best you can!