UQ-Ochsner 2017 Cohort

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
you simply don't ask "how many people put off the USMLE", "how cooperative is the cohort?" or "who made the exams"...
People putting off the USMLE is not an issue with the program, it is a personal issue. People who have done any research about this program know from day one that this curriculum isn't based around the USMLE, so you have to do a lot of independent studying. Over 60% of the students took the USMLE on time, so that means it is possible as long as you do the work. If you aren't ready to take it before 3rd year that means you didn't put in the time during the first two years you should have. I am sure some people did have very personal reasons for pushing the test back, but I don't think that 30% of the class did. I personally think the cohort has been extremely cooperative, way more than I expected. People are posting their notes and reviews for exams, I never expected people to do that. Just reading posts on this forum I knew that the tests were very focused on lecture notes so the exam was very similar to what I expected.

Members don't see this ad.

why do you say that when non-EU have almost no chance of staying in EU?

i probably won't go to Ireland. still it doesn't hurt to figure out everything.
i like UQ, but i don't deny that there are pros and cons.
90% match rate but 37% of a class of +/-100 put off Step 1 this year, that's about 40 students in a class not taking Step 1.
UQ essentially takes away 3/4 of summer break by that 8-week observership, leaving 2 weeks free. good luck studying for USMLE. that also means i don't get to see my partner for 2 years. Ireland is a lot closer geographically and allows minimum 2-month summer breaks. in worst case scenario, being able to practice in EU would be better than in AU.
UQ requires you to fly back to AU for ONE rotation in 4th year (for me it's 30+ hours flight one-way).
lectures are meh, must study a lot on your own.
tuition is outrageously crazy ($64k USD/year tuition alone and increasing).
the Ochsner class is 120-something but aren't cohesive (some of them talked badly about others since the 1st week of class; some outright refuse to share resources/harddrive).
exams are not made by professors but by a "lead educators" team; that's why exam questions are unpredictable.
disappointed that we do not have mock/real patient contact until 2nd half of 2nd year... Ireland allows patient contact since first day; I've also heard that clinical training in Ireland is superb.

Fair enough trying to figure everything out. I just don't see the point now since you are already here. But to each his own I guess. Lectures are meh, but I know U.S. med students who don't go to their lectures either. Lectures are a pretty archaic teaching model anyway regardless of where you are. Thats why I like studying on my own and having CBL and CC once a week for developing my clinical reasoning and skills. I really like the structure here because of that and the systems based learning. Also UQ exams aren't as rigorous as U.S. exams so theoretically you should have more free time over the next two years to focus more on USMLE (U.S. students have 1 month-ish max? dedicated study time after their 2nd year). Speaking of, UQ students have traditionally scored very well on step 2 CK and CS because of the heavier clinical focus. And to be honest studying for step 1 is a pretty solo endeavor regardless of where you go to school, even if its in the U.S.

I haven't experienced a lack of cohesion from the Ochsner's. In fact I almost feel like I will be sick of my cohort before the 4 years are up because we spend so much time together. Everyone has been very nice. Not sure where the refusal to share resources is coming from- second years have repeatedly offered to share the hard drive of resources etc multiple times. 2nd years are volunteering their time to be peer tutors for our class both for UQ material and USMLE and anatomy (I feel like I have more tutors than classes at this point). We have representatives in our class who address our concerns with admin (and provide us with nice powerpoints to pass ethics, etc). Clinical training here is supposed to be quite strong. We will have patient contact second semester of this year (which to be honest is probably better so we get through more systems exams beforehand as Dan Park stated in his email).

I don't mind flying back to Aus for another 8 week rotation in 4th year. To be honest I'll probably miss Oz once I am in New Orleans and I will welcome a chance to come back one more time in 4th year...Most 2nd years don't want to leave australia.

Reactions: 1 user
Has anyone ever heard of getting rejected post interview? It seems like it has a pretty high post-interview success rate

Members don't see this ad :)
Has anyone ever heard of getting rejected post interview? It seems like it has a pretty high post-interview success rate
From what I have seen just about everyone who gets to the interview gets accepted as long as there are seats available. Things could be different this year, but that is how it has been in past years.

I know of one person personally that didn't get accepted post interview but was invited to reapply for the following year. And I think there was at least a person on sdn as well last year who didn't get in after their interview. I think it's rare, but it happens.

I feel like these are questions that should have been answered before decididing to go to UQ, not once you are already in the program.

Do you know if there are students who leave the UQ-O program if they are accepted into a DO school later that year?
I wonder how DO schools react to that...

Do you know if there are students who leave the UQ-O program if they are accepted into a DO school later that year?
I wonder how DO schools react to that...
I am sure there have been students who have done this, but how would the DO school know they were ever enrolled here?

When did you interview? If you dont mind me asking!
January 22nd I think. Was told we'd hear back by May, but was hoping for this week as they began releasing decisions last year at this time.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

True, was hoping that as well. I interviewed onMarch 10th, but I believe they cancelled the Feb interviews, so I'm assuming the Jan & March interview results come back hopefully in a week? They gave us a 6-8 week timeline as well, so they've probably evaluated the Jan & march interviewees together.

True, was hoping that as well. I interviewed onMarch 10th, but I believe they cancelled the Feb interviews, so I'm assuming the Jan & March interview results come back hopefully in a week? They gave us a 6-8 week timeline as well, so they've probably evaluated the Jan & march interviewees together.
I'd assume so. I was told they don't even begin looking at apps until after match, and we are about 5 weeks post match now, so hopefully next week we'll hear something.

Members don't see this ad :)
People that interviewed for 2016 cohort but were wait listed because the seats filled up are also part of this first batch. The first batch is the biggest. We should hear something in May.

Last edited:
Hmm idk how much i would take superior cervicals insight as set in stone. If someone were waitlisted in the first batch/wave of acceptances last year, we would have heard of atleast one person post about it. There is a reason why current students say that as long as seats are available there is a good chance that they will hand out acceptances (fingers crossed).
I do know they updated a policy this year to include a hold applications group before it is sent to Australia if it didnt pass a certain interview score. I'm hoping, still, that as long as there are seats, and as long as the interview passed, that there is an excellent chance of acceptance.

Hmm idk how much i would take superior cervicals insight as set in stone. If someone were waitlisted in the first batch/wave of acceptances last year, we would have heard of atleast one person post about it. There is a reason why current students say that as long as seats are available there is a good chance that they will hand out acceptances (fingers crossed).
I do know they updated a policy this year to include a hold applications group before it is sent to Australia if it didnt pass a certain interview score. I'm hoping, still, that as long as there are seats, and as long as the interview passed, that there is an excellent chance of acceptance.

I was accepted but wait listed because I sent my deposit too late and seats filled up. I was in the last batch of acceptances and my application was forwarded to this year's pool. Yes you are pretty much accepted after the interview, I was but that is all pending on seats being available. This is an issue only the last batch of interviewers/accepted applicants had so that's why you may not have heard anyone post about it. Although someone else did post in 2016 thread they were accepted but wait listed because of seats filling up again.

Last edited:
Ah I see, it made it sound like that there will be waitlisted applicants in the first wave. May we all get good news soon!!

is there a traditional UQ thread somewhere, for the rest of us non-'blessed' people in life who cant apply to the UQ-O program

Hey everyone. I just sent in my application for UQ-O and have a skype interview book for May 13th. I am predicting that I would hear a decision by July if my interview is done May 13th. What is the likelihood base on my stats: UG GPA 3.16; Master's (Physiology and Biophysics) GPA 3.84; Two summers of volunteering in Ambulatory surgical unit; 8 published works all as first author and 5 accepted articles (4/5 as first author); new MCAT 506 (129 PS/122 V/129 BS/126 Psy) old MCAT 25 (best score); I have about 2 years of bench research and about a year and half of Medical Review Research.

From the research I have done on the school, I know there is an 8 week observership at the end of year 1. So I am guessing that Step 1 can be taken at the end of year 2 during the summer vacation. Which gives you all of year two to prep and a month of summer to prep, is that correct?

Main reason I am applying for UQ-O is because of the clerkships are done in the US and improve the chances for practicing medicine in the US. I have been accepted to a 5 year program in Ireland but the school doesn't have any affiliations with US hospitals, so that worries me because physicians who were willing to take me on for the summer cannot anymore since the school I got into isn't affiliated with their hospital.

Based on my stats, what are my chances? Would I hear back with an acceptance by mid-July?

Thanks for your input.

Reactions: 2 users
Also, when would students entering class 2017 do their match, during the year 2021 or the following year?

Hey everyone. I just sent in my application for UQ-O and have a skype interview book for May 13th. I am predicting that I would hear a decision by July if my interview is done May 13th. What is the likelihood base on my stats: UG GPA 3.16; Master's (Physiology and Biophysics) GPA 3.84; Two summers of volunteering in Ambulatory surgical unit; 8 published works all as first author and 5 accepted articles (4/5 as first author); new MCAT 506 (129 PS/122 V/129 BS/126 Psy) old MCAT 25 (best score); I have about 2 years of bench research and about a year and half of Medical Review Research.

From the research I have done on the school, I know there is an 8 week observership at the end of year 1. So I am guessing that Step 1 can be taken at the end of year 2 during the summer vacation. Which gives you all of year two to prep and a month of summer to prep, is that correct?

Main reason I am applying for UQ-O is because of the clerkships are done in the US and improve the chances for practicing medicine in the US. I have been accepted to a 5 year program in Ireland but the school doesn't have any affiliations with US hospitals, so that worries me because physicians who were willing to take me on for the summer cannot anymore since the school I got into isn't affiliated with their hospital.

Based on my stats, what are my chances? Would I hear back with an acceptance by mid-July?

Thanks for your input.

You will definitely get in as long as you don't reflect any blaring abnormalities during your interview.
It takes about 8 weeks to hear back, so you should be fine.
It's highly encouraged to take your Step 1 between Nov - Jan (you have about 2 months off) before starting your third year.
I just went to a seminar and these questions were answered. I'm also applying for this cycle. Best of luck to you!

So you do match day with everyone in the US March 2021? Which means, you are going for interviews during your third year? So your residency will begin November 2021, once you graduate?

So you do match day with everyone in the US March 2021? Which means, you are going for interviews during your third year? So your residency will begin November 2021, once you graduate?
you're done with UQ in Nov 2020.
you do match with the US class of 2021.
you interview after your 4th year when you're done with school!
residency begins in July 2021.

Last edited by a moderator:
Reactions: 1 users
I was accepted but wait listed because I sent my deposit too late and seats filled up. I was in the last batch of acceptances and my application was forwarded to this year's pool. Yes you are pretty much accepted after the interview, I was but that is all pending on seats being available. This is an issue only the last batch of interviewers/accepted applicants had so that's why you may not have heard anyone post about it. Although someone else did post in 2016 thread they were accepted but wait listed because of seats filling up again.

I'm so sorry that happened to you, but that means you are pretty much accepted for this cycle. Will you be attending?

I'm so sorry that happened to you, but that means you are pretty much accepted for this cycle. Will you be attending?

Yeah that's basically what I was told. I do plan on attending in 2017. I think it worked out for me, gave me more time to prepare to move.

Yeah that's basically what I was told. I do plan on attending in 2017. I think it worked out for me, gave me more time to prepare to move.

When was your application considered complete last cycle with MEP and when was your interview last year?

Has anyone heard back yet? Do you think we'll hear back by the end of this week?

I haven't heard back and to my knowledge, no one has either. I did just call them today and was informed it wouldn't be no longer than 8 weeks from the point of the march interviews, putting it at ~May 11th roughly by when we should hear. I'm hoping we hear this week!

hey, i'm sorry if this question is repeated - i think i read about this in the forum before but i cant seem to find it again!
are there people in the UQ-Ochsner program who end up staying in Australia for residency? or is it too difficult for non-Australian citizens to get internship/residency spots in Australia?
Thanks!

I heard from MEP today that they expect to begin receiving decisions from UQ within the next 2 weeks.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

hey, i'm sorry if this question is repeated - i think i read about this in the forum before but i cant seem to find it again!
are there people in the UQ-Ochsner program who end up staying in Australia for residency? or is it too difficult for non-Australian citizens to get internship/residency spots in Australia?
Thanks!

I think if your goal is to stay in Australia, you are encouraged to apply to the traditional UQ program. The UQ Ochsner program is designed for students who want to obtain a residency in the US. I don't think it would be helpful for you to enroll in a program that requires you to take the USMLE exams and do US rotations if you are interested in staying in Australia. I do remember seeing somewhere that it is difficult to get a residency spot in Australia.

for some in depth/up to date info about internships in ausi, especially internationals. look at any post in relation to this topic by pitman, his posts are almost always supplemented with data from sources. but be careful there's another user that's always posting completely negative viewpoints (rarely with supporting evidence). here's the most recent post on this:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/threads/internships-for-international-students.1116626/

Thanks!

I would also like to chime in. There are people from the UQ-O program that do take a residency in Australia, but this could make it harder for you in the future. This is because if you aren't trained in a US residency, there's a lot more red tape to make it back and practice over here if you ever chose to.

Thanks!
1) yes
2) no

But...it's getting more difficult. Note that Ochsner students used to be Priority 4 for internship in Queensland along with other non-Australians trained at a Qld uni, but now they're Priority 6 as 'students/grads from offshore Australian schools' or worded some such. There is also a stipulation now that prevents such students from applying for the ~100 national CMI spots (CMI is meant to soak up int'ls who did not get a job through the state ballots).

Queensland has a long history of officially not being able to accommodate everyone (though nearly everyone), while in the end it 'somehow' does. But success through unofficial processes (like last minute spots opening up a few weeks before internship that hospitals +/- QHealth then have the freedom to give to whomever they want) cannot be relied on. So while it may be *possible* to come back to Australia for internship from Ochsner as it has been (I think 2 may have quietly gotten Qld jobs even in the last season -- research posts by nybgrus), you should not go to Ochsner thinking that you will be able to do internship in Australia.

https://www.health.qld.gov.au/employment/work-for-us/clinical/medical/recruitment/intern/
http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/work-commonwealth-medical-internships

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 users
Does anyone remember specifically what the interview questions were? Thanks and good luck to those hearing back soon.

Does anyone remember specifically what the interview questions were? Thanks and good luck to those hearing back soon.
We sign an NDA and can't discuss the specifics of the interview. If you contact your admissions advisor at mededpath, they will help prep you for the interview. They are very helpful.

We sign an NDA and can't discuss the specifics of the interview. If you contact your admissions advisor at mededpath, they will help prep you for the interview. They are very helpful.

I see, thanks for the info. Also do you guys have any insight as far as housing goes? Is it a requirement to live near a bus route or within walking distance to campus? How hard is it for a foreigner to get a driver's license? And is it at all feasible to live in downtown Brisbane and commute to campus? Thanks!

I see, thanks for the info. Also do you guys have any insight as far as housing goes? Is it a requirement to live near a bus route or within walking distance to campus? How hard is it for a foreigner to get a driver's license? And is it at all feasible to live in downtown Brisbane and commute to campus? Thanks!
Most medical students live off campus and closer to their assigned clinic, but you can live anywhere. There is ample public transportation available. From my understanding most students bike to campus or take public transportation instead of driving. Your US license is valid and you can get a car, but it is expensive and parking is not ideal on campus. It is fairly easy to rent a car to go to the beach or to travel outside of the city, as well. I am planning on living in or near the CBD and commuting. I've heard many students don't attend lecture regularly either.

I would take a look here: https://www.facebook.com/groups/UQMSMarketplace/

There are a lot of rooms for rent, textbooks and even automobiles!

Greatly appreciate the advice. The city sounds pretty awesome, always been a dream of mine to live in a high rise apartment. Talk about motivation! The rooms are actually fairly inexpensive compared to US apartments in the city.

Greatly appreciate the advice. The city sounds pretty awesome, always been a dream of mine to live in a high rise apartment. Talk about motivation! The rooms are actually fairly inexpensive compared to US apartments in the city.
Join some of the Facebook groups. They are active and have a lot of information, plus the current students are really helpful. I'm looking at getting an apartment at the Milton, which is a brand new high rise not far from the CBD or campus. Several of the M1's live there now and seem to be happy with it.

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

1) yes
2) no

But...it's getting more difficult. Note that Ochsner students used to be Priority 4 for internship in Queensland along with other non-Australians trained at a Qld uni, but now they're Priority 6 as 'students/grads from offshore Australian schools' or worded some such. There is also a stipulation now that prevents such students from applying for the ~100 national CMI spots (CMI is meant to soak up int'ls who did not get a job through the state ballots).

Queensland has a long history of officially not being able to accommodate everyone (though nearly everyone), while in the end it 'somehow' does. But success through unofficial processes (like last minute spots opening up a few weeks before internship that hospitals +/- QHealth then have the freedom to give to whomever they want) cannot be relied on. So while it may be *possible* to come back to Australia for internship from Ochsner as it has been (I think 2 may have quietly gotten Qld jobs even in the last season -- research posts by nybgrus), you should not go to Ochsner thinking that you will be able to do internship in Australia.

https://www.health.qld.gov.au/employment/work-for-us/clinical/medical/recruitment/intern/
http://www.health.gov.au/internet/main/publishing.nsf/Content/work-commonwealth-medical-internships
Two 4th years just got accepted to internships at Greenslopes. They also are engaged to Australians and are applying for PR down here. I guess Greenslopes got funding for 3 positions this year, but it varies from year to year if they have any available. I guess they just spent 2 of their rotations down here, and made it very clear they wanted to return to Australia and were able to get spots.

Most medical students live off campus and closer to their assigned clinic, but you can live anywhere. There is ample public transportation available. From my understanding most students bike to campus or take public transportation instead of driving. Your US license is valid and you can get a car, but it is expensive and parking is not ideal on campus. It is fairly easy to rent a car to go to the beach or to travel outside of the city, as well. I am planning on living in or near the CBD and commuting. I've heard many students don't attend lecture regularly either.

There's lecture?

Does anyone know if UQ-Ochsner students are able to do any dual degree programs? i.e. MD/MBA or MD/MPH? Would love to know more info. if anyone knows. Thanks!

Does anyone know if UQ-Ochsner students are able to do any dual degree programs? i.e. MD/MBA or MD/MPH? Would love to know more info. if anyone knows. Thanks!
There is an option to do an M.Phil or PHD in conjunction with the the MD program. I'm not sure about an MBA or MPH.

Has anyone heard back yet? I interviewed early March... :poke: