UQ-Ochsner 2017 Cohort

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.

themanofthehour

M-0
7+ Year Member
Reaction score
I just put in my application recently and have gotten an interview - I was wondering if anyone else has applied for the Class of 2021? If anyone has already done the program: how do you rank the school, the teaching style, the courseload, the transition to there as well as coming back, and residency placement?

Members don't see this ad.

You should read the other threads. The 2014 and 2015 threads have some decent write ups. The MD cohort just finished their first year. It had its ups and downs, and I assume they will improve on some of the issues we brought up.

Members don't see this ad :)
You should read the other threads. The 2014 and 2015 threads have some decent write ups. The MD cohort just finished their first year. It had its ups and downs, and I assume they will improve on some of the issues we brought up.
I wonder if the requirement for the Ochsner cohort to do a minimum of 8 weeks of observership at the end of M1 year is too much while they have the USMLE to study for, or family to visit... Subtracting the mandatory observership, the Ochsner cohort has only 2 weeks of summer at the end of M1 year. The traditional UQ cohort is required to do just 4 weeks of observership. Is there any reason why the Ochsner cohort is required to do double that? What do you current Ochsner students feel about that? Is it something that is worth bringing up for changes?

deleted

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
I have an interview scheduled for January 22nd. Trying to decide between a Skype interview or in person. Anyone else interviewing on the 22nd?

Depends on how you look at it. I did research for half of it (4 weeks) and will be starting 4 weeks at a radiology clinic coming up soon. It's a government regulation, not the school.

If you have a problem with being treated differently because you are an American instead of a regular international student, then UQ-O isn't for you. It's a constant pain. I had particular trouble getting a rural rotation for the end of year electives. I opted for the aforementioned two instead.

You actually come out having about 3 weeks vacation as an Ochsner student, but unless you can plan it right, the 3 weeks will be spread apart. Makes life difficult, but that's just UQ for you.

Funny enough, I just met some non-med UQ staff over this Christmas break. It turns out that the med school is even starting to develop a bad reputation within the school for riding the coat-tails of the UQ name, and it's starting to feel the repercussions of it with regard to the quality of the students that are going through it.

My 2 cents after finishing my first year; go somewhere else in the States if you can. It's not worth the trouble and frustration dealing with the school administration at UQ.

I'm sure people will flame me for this, but I'm not a fan of the program. At the price they are charging the incoming students, it's really not worth it. Tuition is something like 90k AUD for the incoming class. Absolutely ridiculous.

Edit: Go read the other threads about the school. There's a ton of debate on if it is worth it.

@Steele I'm an incoming 2016 UQ-O student, would you say its just easier then to find your own non UQ affiliated electives after M1 (Rather than deal with the spread out 3 weeks of vacation etc). Also do you think its better to do a clinical or research elective after M1 year.

Unrelated but where do you recommend I live in brisbane?

@nybgrus Please chime in if you have anything to add re: first year electives, clinical or research, and places to live.

@Steele I'm an incoming 2016 UQ-O student, would you say its just easier then to find your own non UQ affiliated electives after M1 (Rather than deal with the spread out 3 weeks of vacation etc). Also do you think its better to do a clinical or research elective after M1 year.

Unrelated but where do you recommend I live in brisbane?

@nybgrus Please chime in if you have anything to add re: first year electives, clinical or research, and places to live.
Posted this already in the previous thread.

Also, I did two clinical rotations, one in General Medicine and another in Orthopedic Surgery. It was pretty cool to see two totally different aspects of medicine. Both were assigned by the school. I was one of the lucky ones I guess that didn't get screwed on my elective.

Posted this already in the previous thread.

Also, I did two clinical rotations, one in General Medicine and another in Orthopedic Surgery. It was pretty cool to see two totally different aspects of medicine. Both were assigned by the school. I was one of the lucky ones I guess that didn't get screwed on my elective.
In what ways can one get screwed on electives, and how to minimize this risk?

deleted

Last edited:
No, there were students that didn't get an elective assigned by the school and had to scramble last minute to find one. That is what I was referring too.

Hi, I have a related question as I'm applying to UQ-Ochsner too. When is the deadline for applications? I can't seem to find it on the mededpath website. Any idea?

Members don't see this ad :)
Hi, I have a related question as I'm applying to UQ-Ochsner too. When is the deadline for applications? I can't seem to find it on the mededpath website. Any idea?
The Australian school year starts in February. Application cycle usually ends in November, but it can end earlier because it's rolling admissions. The last day you should be receiving an interview is some time in October.

For those who got interviews, what are your stats and how many letters of recommendations did you submit?

For those who got interviews, what are your stats and how many letters of recommendations did you submit?
Minimum GPA is 3.0.
Min MCAT is 26 (no section less than 8) or 499.
Recommendation letters are not needed.

Honestly I wouldn't worry too much about electives. You really get what you put into it. There is no BAD elective, and I wouldn't worry about getting "screwed".

It's just personal preference as to if you want to go through UQ or find your own. I found both my own, and the UQ electives office was a mess throughout the year. It was really hard to get things done. At least I found it to be that way.

Since then, they seem to have switched administration. The new admin(s) seem much more keen about helping in a timely manner. I don't know if they were understaffed or what, but it's just better after they switched.

TLDR: Don't worry about it. You're going to have much bigger fish to fry. The elective should be put on the back burner until way later.

@Steele thanks for the info. I've talked to a U.S. medical student about the fact that I do an elective after M1 year at UQ-O and he recommended that I do research instead of a clinical elective for all 8 weeks. His reasoning was that I will have plenty of time to get clinical experience in 3rd and 4th year and that in order to make myself as competitive for residency as possible, doing research and getting published would be much more beneficial for my resume than clinical experience at that point.

@Steele thanks for the info. I've talked to a U.S. medical student about the fact that I do an elective after M1 year at UQ-O and he recommended that I do research instead of a clinical elective for all 8 weeks. His reasoning was that I will have plenty of time to get clinical experience in 3rd and 4th year and that in order to make myself as competitive for residency as possible, doing research and getting published would be much more beneficial for my resume than clinical experience at that point.

I agree with that, after M1 there is no way you'd benefit much from doing a clinical elective. Research is something you could be able to do on the other hand which would help slightly with residency.

deleted

Last edited:
Minimum GPA is 3.0.
Min MCAT is 26 (no section less than 8) or 499.
Recommendation letters are not needed.

I think their n average is a min of 2.67 according to the video on their admission requirements. Not sure why it's that low though. Unless they changed it? The video is old though cause they still have the old mcat score requirement.

I think their n average is a min of 2.67 according to the video on their admission requirements. Not sure why it's that low though. Unless they changed it? The video is old though cause they still have the old mcat score requirement.
There's no way that was the average. It was the minimum. The admission website states that the minimum is a "B average" now. And that video was from 2 years ago, I think.

Last edited by a moderator:
There's no way that was the average. It was the minimum. The admission website states that the minimum is a "B average" now. And that vidro was from 2 years ago, I think.

Typing on my phone. Meant to say the video said they needed a b average or a minimum of 2.67. Not that their average was a 2.67

I know we should apply as early as possible but since I have to take the new mcat on April I'd have to apply around May. Does anyone how quickly their spots fill? Or when it usually closes?

Last edited:
I know we should apply as early as possible but since I have to take the new mcat on April I'd have to apply around May. Does anyone how quickly their spots fill? Or when it usually closes?
Refer to my post above:

The Australian school year starts in February. Application cycle usually ends in November, but it can end earlier because it's rolling admissions. The last day you shouldbe receiving an interview is some time in October.

For those interested in this program, there is a webinar to discuss the details of the program in depth tonight at 7pm eastern. Check out MEP website to register for it.

At UQ pathology and clinical skills are taught from the beginning of M1 along with anatomy and physiology. So yes, clinical electives are beneficial if you studied at all.

I am learning a ton from my radiology elective currently. I'm actually learning how to read imaging, something that UQ did a lackluster job of. I've got a friend who finished an ER rotation who was always telling me things he saw that we had discussed in lecture or in our Case Based Learning groups. There is also hands on experience he got too; suturing, getting patient history, etc.

Sure, you can waste your time and not learn anything in the elective, but if you put in good effort, you will get a positive learning experience out of it.

That said, I highly recommend spending 4 of the 8 weeks required working on getting something published. Research is always a boost when it comes application time. I did data analysis and will be publishing this year.

The only issue is that it is hard to get published in 8 weeks let alone 4 weeks....

deleted

Last edited:
Hey guys, I just wanted to ask when applications for 2017 entry for UQ opened up? I was under the impression they wouldn't open up till Feb and by reading this thread I was surprised they started accepting applications in December? Or have they been accepting them since earlier? Thank you!

Hey guys, I just wanted to ask when applications for 2017 entry for UQ opened up? I was under the impression they wouldn't open up till Feb and by reading this thread I was surprised they started accepting applications in December? Or have they been accepting them since earlier? Thank you!

Email mededpath and ask them directly or Check the website and see what it says.

I have an interview scheduled for January 22nd. Trying to decide between a Skype interview or in person. Anyone else interviewing on the 22nd?

I just got an interview invitation too. The Feb 26th date is already filled up so I'll go for Jan. 22nd. I'm thinking of doing the interview in person, since you get a tour of the hospital and also meet current students. Skype would be very convenient, but I feel I would be very awkward. Just personal preference I guess.

Students from the 2016 cohort posted info about skype vs in person interview too, if you want to check it out.

I just got an interview invitation too. The Feb 26th date is already filled up so I'll go for Jan. 22nd. I'm thinking of doing the interview in person, since you get a tour of the hospital and also meet current students. Skype would be very convenient, but I feel I would be very awkward. Just personal preference I guess.

Students from the 2016 cohort posted info about skype vs in person interview too, if you want to check it out.
I agree that Skype won't give an accurate representation of the Ochsner Clinic and have committed to an in person interview on Jan 22nd. Mededpath has been very helpful thus far with the entire process, even going so far as offering pre-interview advising sessions to ensure we are adequately prepared for the interview. Seems like a great opportunity and a pretty unique experience, IMG status notwithstanding. Let me know if you end up going down on the 22nd.

I agree that Skype won't give an accurate representation of the Ochsner Clinic and have committed to an in person interview on Jan 22nd. Mededpath has been very helpful thus far with the entire process, even going so far as offering pre-interview advising sessions to ensure we are adequately prepared for the interview. Seems like a great opportunity and a pretty unique experience, IMG status notwithstanding. Let me know if you end up going down on the 22nd.
Turns out I can't schedule for Jan. 22nd anymore. The date is locked :O

Turns out I can't schedule for Jan. 22nd anymore. The date is locked :O
I've heard that you can't schedule online if it's within two weeks. You may want to call MEP and see if there are still slots available if you want to interview on the 22nd.

I've heard that you can't schedule online if it's within two weeks. You may want to call MEP and see if there are still slots available if you want to interview on the 22nd.
I'll try calling first thing tomorrow. Good Luck on your interview!

My friend hasn't taken MCAT yet. Can he apply right now and send MCAT score after his MCAT? he takes it on April.

My friend hasn't taken MCAT yet. Can he apply right now and send MCAT score after his MCAT? he takes it on April.
The MCAT is required for admission, so your application will most likely be held until they receive the score. I'd recommend calling MEP and discussing with them. The admissions staff are extremely helpful and they want to ensure the success of their applicants.

The MCAT is required for admission, so your application will most likely be held until they receive the score. I'd recommend calling MEP and discussing with them. The admissions staff are extremely helpful and they want to ensure the success of their applicants.

How does U of Q Ochsner calculate retakes?Like DO or MD?
He is below 3.0

How does U of Q Ochsner calculate retakes?Like DO or MD?
He is below 3.0
I'm not sure how they calculate retakes, that would be a question for MEP. They require a B average (based on the Australian grading scale) to be interview eligible. If he is below a 3.0 I'd definitely recommend retaking any class he received a C or lower and/or a postbacc to bring his GPA up. Average GPA of the 2015 cohort was 3.35 for a bachelor's and 3.55 for a master's, with an MCAT of 29 (507ish). In speaking with the admissions faculty, the program is becoming more competitive with every cycle, and they are looking for serious applicants with a demonstrated interest in global medicine that will do well in their program, do well on the USMLE, and match into a top residency.

I'm not sure how they calculate retakes, that would be a question for MEP. They require a B average (based on the Australian grading scale) to be interview eligible. If he is below a 3.0 I'd definitely recommend retaking any class he received a C or lower and/or a postbacc to bring his GPA up. Average GPA of the 2015 cohort was 3.35 for a bachelor's and 3.55 for a master's, with an MCAT of 29 (507ish). In speaking with the admissions faculty, the program is becoming more competitive with every cycle, and they are looking for serious applicants with a demonstrated interest in global medicine that will do well in their program, do well on the USMLE, and match into a top residency.

I know with DO gpa he can bring up to 3.1 but I guess I need to ask how Mededpath do retake grades.
My friend and I think this school is pretty solid in that residency match is just as good as what you can find in the US. Are we correct?

And how does financial aid work?

I know with DO gpa he can bring up to 3.1 but I guess I need to ask how Mededpath do retake grades.
My friend and I think this school is pretty solid in that residency match is just as good as what you can find in the US. Are we correct?

And how does financial aid work?

DO uses GPA replacement. MD averages the GPAs. Given enough courses, he should be able to bring GPA up in either scenario, just will take much longer the MD route.

Past cohorts have achieved very high match rates (>90%), with almost everyone getting their first or second pick, including some competitive residencies (opthal, ortho, EM, categorical surgery, etc). The current cohort that will match this March is the largest to date, so that will be the best indicator of match results. With that being said, admissions did tell me that the current cohort, as a whole, have received many interviews to top programs in their specialty of choice, and have received very favorable responses from the program directors. We'll know for sure in March.

Financial aid works the same as it does if you were attending a US school. UQO is accredited and you are eligible for the same financial aid packages that you would otherwise be eligible for.

Last edited:
I had my interview 1/22 on Skype and I feel real nervous about it. I hope everything panned out fine and it works out in the end. =/

I had my interview 1/22 on Skype and I feel real nervous about it. I hope everything panned out fine and it works out in the end. =/
I interviewed on campus last Friday and I'm even more excited about the program now than before. Ochsner is very well known and respected throughout the area, and all of the people are very friendly and really want their students to succeed. I'm sure on Skype it's more difficult to gauge how things went but I wouldn't sweat it too much. Good luck!

Does anyone have any information in regards to the acceptance rate of this program?

Seems like a hidden gem that I don't think many pre-meds/re-applicants know about from what I can tell. I'm sure it will be gaining immense popularity in the next 2-5 years...

Seems like a hidden gem that I don't think many pre-meds/re-applicants know about from what I can tell. I'm sure it will be gaining immense popularity in the next 2-5 years...
It is getting much more competitive now that US residency programs are becoming familiar with the program. It really is a great program from all of the students, residents, and admin that I've talked to. UQ medical school is ranked in the top 50 in the world (higher than 80% of US schools) and Ochsner is in the top 10 for GME. Per the assistant dean, Ochsner residency programs give preference to UQO students, and the program goes above and beyond in helping you match in your chosen specialty.

Im thinking about applying here. Would I be at a disadvantage submitting early March/late April? The weird application cycle is a bit confusing. Also, how likely am I to run into highly venomous snakes/spiders if I end up at this program? lol

Im thinking about applying here. Would I be at a disadvantage submitting early March/late April? The weird application cycle is a bit confusing. Also, how likely am I to run into highly venomous snakes/spiders if I end up at this program? lol
You should be fine in March/April. UQO is on rolling admissions so early application is advisable, but they don't begin sending acceptances until after match season. Last year applicants were still being accepted in the fall.

Only likely to encounter the deadly animals if you decide to venture into the outback or rural areas. Brisbane is very urban.

I interviewed on campus last Friday and I'm even more excited about the program now than before. Ochsner is very well known and respected throughout the area, and all of the people are very friendly and really want their students to succeed. I'm sure on Skype it's more difficult to gauge how things went but I wouldn't sweat it too much. Good luck!
Thanks buddy! I hope it works out for both of us!

Just mailed my app today. How soon after they receive all the materials is the interview scheduled? The website says the offer decision in 6-8 weeks but I presume this is after the interview is conducted.

Just mailed my app today. How soon after they receive all the materials is the interview scheduled? The website says the offer decision in 6-8 weeks but I presume this is after the interview is conducted.
MEP will forward your application to Ochsner when it is complete. This can be pretty rapid (a couple of days) as long as you aren't missing any part of your application. If you are eligible for an interview then Ochsner Clinical School will contact you with information regarding the process. This also is typically fairly quick depending upon how many applications they are going through. Decisions are made by the University of Queensland 6-8 weeks after the entire application packet is sent to UQ. The earliest decisions for the 2017 cohort are expected in April.