UQ-Ochsner 2017 Cohort

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Has there already been a page started for those who have been accepted? I am currently going to try to start looking for people to meet up in early January. If there hasn't I think I am going to start a page.

Yes, there is an official Facebook group. Those that have been accepted should receive an invite from our OMSA leaders

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad.

Hey,
For those opening a Charles Schwab account to receive the loan money in US dollars, what bank account are you guys opening in Australia? I think I read that we need an Australian bank account to pay rent?

Hey,
For those opening a Charles Schwab account to receive the loan money in US dollars, what bank account are you guys opening in Australia? I think I read that we need an Australian bank account to pay rent?

Most people have commonwealth. It's really good and easy. You can pay rent directly from the app etc.

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
Are there fees for transferring money from the Charles Schwab account to the commonwealth or west PAC account?

I have accepted a position in to the UQ Ochsner cohort for the incoming 2017 class but never received a link to the facebook group. Does anyone have a link to the group? There was no class of 2021 listed when I searched... Also, if anyone could shed some light on best areas to live in the area beyond what is in the OMSA guide that would be appreciated. Some comments on this thread seem to suggest that there is no reason to be around St. Lucia campus, is campus not a good med student environment or is it just out of the way of the average locations visited? Personally, West End sounded appealing.

I have accepted a position in to the UQ Ochsner cohort for the incoming 2017 class but never received a link to the facebook group. Does anyone have a link to the group? There was no class of 2021 listed when I searched... Also, if anyone could shed some light on best areas to live in the area beyond what is in the OMSA guide that would be appreciated. Some comments on this thread seem to suggest that there is no reason to be around St. Lucia campus, is campus not a good med student environment or is it just out of the way of the average locations visited? Personally, West End sounded appealing.
Hey Congrats on being accepted! When did you interview?

The class of 2021 will begin their studies in 2018. Due to the Australian school year, we start in February and graduate late November/early December. Congratulations on your acceptance to the class of 2020! That's the FB group you need to look for, since most likely a class of 2021 group doesn't exist quite yet. The OMSA reps will probably send an invitation to the e-mail address you used for correspondence with MedEdPath, otherwise just find the group and request to join. Someone may have linked it above.

Areas to live kind of depends on what you're looking for. St. Lucia is fine, it's close to campus and if you like studying on campus, it's a pretty safe bet. However, while St. Lucia is right next to campus, you pay a premium for proximity--in my opinion--and there isn't a lot going on around St. Lucia. Public transportation is generally good, and a lot depends on how much you're comfortable paying as well. It may be possible to find incredible deals, but for the most part you'll pay more the closer to the city you are (e.g. CBD). I know a lot of people live in St. Lucia, CBD, West End, South Brisbane, South Bank, Woolloongabba, Milton, Toowong, Indooroopilly, Taringa, etc. It's up to you. If you live near the southern part of West End, you can get to campus pretty quickly via the City Cat, as you're one stop away from the UQ stop, if you're further up in West End it's probably easier to take a bus. Rent is paid weekly here, unless you have some other arrangement with your landlord or leasing company, which is a bit different than the U.S. as well.

@JustDOit2016 I've posted extensively about housing in the past. Check my post history or scroll back through this thread. St. Lucia is a decent option for a first year student if you like going to lectures. But, you'll find that since lectures are recorded, many people opt to just watch them on their own time so being on campus isn't that necessary. St. Lucia usually does not provide great value as it is so close to the Uni so it has inflated prices and is a bit isolated from other parts of the city, but again some people like that. Brisbane offers pretty good transportation and you can get to class within 20 mins from numerous parts of the city, including Toowong, South Brisbane, Milton, Woolangabba, West End, CBD, etc. Personally, I would visit a number of apts in diff locations once you are here and decide what you like and where and see how the transportation feels from that location. The best advice I can give you is to not take any housing until you are here in person to check it out yourself and look at several options. Try and take a 6 month lease to have the flexibility once you know the city better after the first semester to move if you want.

If I apply sometime in May, would that be too late for 2018 entry?

If I apply sometime in May, would that be too late for 2018 entry?

Over half of this year's incoming class had offers by June, and I know several that applied and had interviews in June and July that were accepted. With that said, the program is getting more competitive and filling up earlier each year. You should be considered for an interview if you apply in May, but the earlier the better.

My apologies for having nothing to do with this forum, but i have a quick question. How is it that I can create my own forum.. so i can ask the question i want to be answered?

Members don't see this ad :)
So I got an invite for the 2018 cohort interview but in just a few hours after the email was sent to me the dates (Feb 22 & 23) were all booked. Is that normal? How many people typically show up for the in-person interview?

Most importantly has anyone got word on when more dates will be available? I emailed the coordinator but she hasn't responded and it's been almost a full week… I just wanna get plane tickets at a decent price so I'm hoping they dont take forever to add new dates.

So I got an invite for the 2018 cohort interview but in just a few hours after the email was sent to me the dates (Feb 22 & 23) were all booked. Is that normal? How many people typically show up for the in-person interview?

Most importantly has anyone got word on when more dates will be available? I emailed the coordinator but she hasn't responded and it's been almost a full week… I just wanna get plane tickets at a decent price so I'm hoping they dont take forever to add new dates.

The program is becoming very popular so times are filling rapidly. There are typically 20-30 applicants at the interview in NoLa, in addition to Skype interviews. They will release more dates as the current dates fill up and if they still have room on the waitlist. The admins are currently in Brisbane for year 1 orientation for the incoming class, so are probably not answering emails this week. Have patience, the process is not quick, and you will need it if you end up coming to Australia as it's a different way of life than the USA. However, the UQO program is excellent and the admin is very helpful.

I would also advise against buying a plane ticket until you get a COE, which won't be until June at the earliest. Many applicants for the incoming class were not accepted. An interview does not guarantee an acceptance!

Good luck

The program is becoming very popular so times are filling rapidly. There are typically 20-30 applicants at the interview in NoLa, in addition to Skype interviews. They will release more dates as the current dates fill up and if they still have room on the waitlist. The admins are currently in Brisbane for year 1 orientation for the incoming class, so are probably not answering emails this week. Have patience, the process is not quick, and you will need it if you end up coming to Australia as it's a different way of life than the USA. However, the UQO program is excellent and the admin is very helpful.

I would also advise against buying a plane ticket until you get a COE, which won't be until June at the earliest. Many applicants for the incoming class were not accepted. An interview does not guarantee an acceptance!

Good luck

Thanks for all the info very helpful!
Yea I know interview does not mean acceptance I meant a plane ticket to get to new orleans for the interview since I live in massachusetts. Hopefully everything goes smooth though!

Thanks for all the info very helpful!
Yea I know interview does not mean acceptance I meant a plane ticket to get to new orleans for the interview since I live in massachusetts. Hopefully everything goes smooth though!

Gotcha! Logan to NoLa on Southwest usually has good flight deals. Also check out student universe and STAtravel for student flight discounts. I've gotten cheap flights all around the USA as well as to/from Australia.

Is it definitely true that if you meet the bare minimum requirements you are GUARANTEED an interview, as long as spots are open? So if you apply December 1st with a 3.0 sGPA and a 500 MCAT, you have nothing to worry about in regards to getting an interview?
I've seen people in this thread say it before, but can anyone please comment if they know this for a fact

This has been a common assumption over the last few years, however it is not guaranteed. If you meet the minimum requirements, and spots are still open, then you will more likely than not receive an II. Best advice I can give is apply early, and only after you have satisfied the minimum requirements. Also if you receive an II, elect to interview in person, rather than Skype. The in person interview is much more "human" and it allows you to check out the campus and NoLa. Good Luck!

Sent from my iPad using SDN mobile app

Thanks for the response Jb I really appreciate your insight. I'm actually in New Orleans and am currently doing research at Ochsner so I'm frequently around the 3rd/4th years and try to strike up conversations about the program as often as I can. Do you think this connection to Ochsner can benefit me? I'm planning on applying next cycle after I take the Jan. 2018 MCAT and will have a sGPA of 3.3

That connection to Ochsner is definitely a benefit. There are several students in my class that worked/did research at Ochsner, and I think it played in their favor during the interview process. It may be worthwhile going to the Ochsner Academic Center (where the medical school and Phase 2 students are based) and talking with Dr. Seone or some of the other admin. That way you're on their radar and have shown initiative in learning about the program.

Ive been reading on the admission stats from previous threads and wonder if they still hold up since the program seems to be getting more popular each year. For the people who applied, is it true that GPA is still used as a cutoff and most of the decision making is left on the MCAT?

Ive been reading on the admission stats from previous threads and wonder if they still hold up since the program seems to be getting more popular each year. For the people who applied, is it true that GPA is still used as a cutoff and most of the decision making is left on the MCAT?

The program has steadily become more popular with each passing year in the sense that the class fills up earlier, but the latest I've heard is that they are still struggling to fill the class, as many students with slightly better stats end up going DO rather than commit to IMG status by coming here (not to mention the program is now 67k a year plus travel and living expenses moving across the world). My understanding is that if you reach the GPA and MCAT minimums and apply early enough, you should be granted an interview and more than likely an acceptance provided you aren't completely incompetent in the interview. Of course we will never really know how many get rejected post interview because they don't make those numbers public. But I don't think the program is quite at the level that they can be too selective, but I know they are trying hard to change that and advertise and get the word out about it. I think they mostly worry that if they reject too many people they won't have a full class, and therefore lose money.

All that being said, I'm a second year here and I love it, and I think its a great experience and program. There are definitely many many hardworking brilliant students here who would have been successful anywhere. So I do think med is a bit self selective, in that sense, in that most people are still very qualified who choose to do it.

The program has steadily become more popular with each passing year in the sense that the class fills up earlier, but the latest I've heard is that they are still struggling to fill the class, as many students with slightly better stats end up going DO rather than commit to IMG status by coming here (not to mention the program is now 67k a year plus travel and living expenses moving across the world). My understanding is that if you reach the GPA and MCAT minimums and apply early enough, you should be granted an interview and more than likely an acceptance provided you aren't completely incompetent in the interview. Of course we will never really know how many get rejected post interview because they don't make those numbers public. But I don't think the program is quite at the level that they can be too selective, but I know they are trying hard to change that and advertise and get the word out about it. I think they mostly worry that if they reject too many people they won't have a full class, and therefore lose money.

All that being said, I'm a second year here and I love it, and I think its a great experience and program. There are definitely many many hardworking brilliant students here who would have been successful anywhere. So I do think med is a bit self selective, in that sense, in that most people are still very qualified who choose to do it.

That's wonderful that you love it there! I've always wanted to live in Brisbane and New Orleans. I've received an interview already and I am constantly stressing myself out thinking about the admissions decision. For my MCAT and GPA I am exactly at the minimum. I'm just so worried because my stats are right at the minimum and the average MCAT and GPA on their stats page were a bit higher than their minimum. From reading the threads here, it looks like they most likely accept people as long as they meet the requirements. In addition, most people who are granted an interview are likely to be accepted? Does that sound right?

EDIT: It probably doesn't matter, but this is a post/question submitted by a friend interested in UQ-O as she doesn't have a profile at SDN at the moment.

I just started a thread for the 2018 cohort if people want to start posting in there

That's wonderful that you love it there! I've always wanted to live in Brisbane and New Orleans. I've received an interview already and I am constantly stressing myself out thinking about the admissions decision. For my MCAT and GPA I am exactly at the minimum. I'm just so worried because my stats are right at the minimum and the average MCAT and GPA on their stats page were a bit higher than their minimum. From reading the threads here, it looks like they most likely accept people as long as they meet the requirements. In addition, most people who are granted an interview are likely to be accepted? Does that sound right?

EDIT: It probably doesn't matter, but this is a post/question submitted by a friend interested in UQ-O as she doesn't have a profile at SDN at the moment.

It sounds right, but never take anything for granted. They aren't going to tell you that its just a formality. Honestly there is no point to stressing now, you have an interview, focus on preparing as well as you can for it, definitely do some practice dry runs with people to feel comfortable and at ease. The rest is out of your hands.

Reactions: 1 users
how is the rigor of the curriculum ? do you feel constantly stressed? what are your thoughts about the move to brisbane? struggled? how is the safety ?

how is the rigor of the curriculum ? do you feel constantly stressed? what are your thoughts about the move to brisbane? struggled? how is the safety ?

Hi @drabberbadge , just to amend my previous post that you quoted: the minimum requirements went up again for 2018 and now they are requiring 28 on the old MCAT or 502 on the new MCAT, so clearly they are still reaching their yield even with higher stats, and becoming more competitive in the process.

In terms of your current questions regarding the rigor of the curriculum, yes and no. Yes in that medicine is medicine and it is a challenging subject to study anywhere regardless of the program. In terms of the specific UQ curriculum, there are not too many onerous requirements and if you can manage your time effectively you will have loads of time to study and learn the material. There are lots of great resources out there to help support your learning, especially as an Ochsner studying for step!

I mean this is med school, there is certainly some stress approaching midterms and finals (as is probably typical of any academic course), but because our exams are largely few and far between (after 8 weeks midterm after 16 weeks a final), there are long periods of stress free times where you just have to maintain your own pace to learn (it is not uncommon for students to be heading down to the beach or traveling around on weekends). You also get a study week off before finals start. By semester 4 in phase 1, as an Ochsner you will be ignoring the UQ specific curriculum and largely focusing on just your individual step preparation. So I would say that, largely, there is probably less stress than what a typical medical student in the U.S. would go through due to the slower pace and spread out exams. There are also opportunities to re-sit failed exams (If you need to!) and lots of tutoring groups! I do think the administration does try their best to implement positive changes each semester that make improvements to the course based on student feedback. We recently switched over to all electronic exams where we get feedback and grades must sooner and better quality questions, and the clinical unit space for first years in Saint Lucia was recently renovated with nice common areas and new CBL rooms, for example.

The move to Brisbane isn't too bad. It is a clean, safe, highly livable, english-speaking, mid sized city. Obviously, there is an adjustment for anyone moving to any new city or new country and learning their way around, making friends, finding an apartment etc (which would be typical anywhere). Some younger students who have largely lived at home their entire lives with little independent travel experience will struggle with this move. There are always several students who drop out early because it is simply too challenging for them to be away from their support structure back home, but a vast vast majority of students do fine in the move, and greatly enjoy their chance to live in Australia for 2 years! Remember you are all in the same boat starting out when you move over here, so any of those stressors will be common to the entire cohort :)

I hope that answers your questions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 users