UNTHSC/TCOM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
For those who got in, see you soon. For those who didn't get in yet, keep your heads up.

Members don't see this ad.

Does anyone know where I can find an academic Calendar for 2008/2009? There is one on the website, but it is only for 2007/2008.

I've kinda wondered too, but it probably won't come out until closer to time for next years registration to start. You'll get a letter in the next couple days that has the dates for orientation and the first day of class.

Members don't see this ad :)
I've kinda wondered too, but it probably won't come out until closer to time for next years registration to start. You'll get a letter in the next couple days that has the dates for orientation and the first day of class.

Have you seen the TCOM Class of 2012 facebook? There are so many hot women from Beaumont just joined in. What's happening?

Have you seen the TCOM Class of 2012 facebook? There are so many hot women from Beaumont just joined in. What's happening?

Are you from beaumont too? Just wondering, cause im from that area.

Looks like we'll have an attractive class :) I'm one less guy for y'all to compete with though...I'm proposing to my gf next month :D No regrets from me though...she's 5'11", athletic, smokin hot, teaches elementary music (think "Hot For Teacher" by Van Halen), and she knows how to melt my butter :cool: I'm just hoping some of you guys have significant others also...she's moving to Fort Worth to be with me, and she's already making me promise we'll make friends with other TCOM couples since she doesn't know anyone in FW.

Hi guys, I got matched to TCOM yesterday, thought I'd join the club:)

Looks like we'll have an attractive class :) I'm one less guy for y'all to compete with though...I'm proposing to my gf next month :D No regrets from me though...she's 5'11", athletic, smokin hot, teaches elementary music (think "Hot For Teacher" by Van Halen), and she knows how to melt my butter :cool: I'm just hoping some of you guys have significant others also...she's moving to Fort Worth to be with me, and she's already making me promise we'll make friends with other TCOM couples since she doesn't know anyone in FW.

heh, a smokin' hot sugar mamma...well aren't you set :thumbup:

There are some beautiful ladies in this class... I <3 Texas :smuggrin:

Hey gang. No matchy for me. We'll see how this all plays out, but it looks like something is telling me to continue along my current pathway in physical therapy. I'll be hitting a doctoral program (either Ph.D. or Sc.D) soon and will try hard not to look back.

Thanks for everyone's kind words of encouragement throughout the process. Maybe waitlist action will happen, but we'll just see out it comes along. Congratulations to all those who got in and good luck to you all. :luck:

Agree we got a great lookin class :) Im ALMOST engaged...or so i like to think :love: Probably will be by the time class begins. Anyways, im also lookin for more friends and couples to hang out with. Ive only lived in fort worth since last August and am always looking to meet new people. Look forward to meetin all of the TCOM c/o 2012!!! :hardy:

Hey gang. No matchy for me. We'll see how this all plays out, but it looks like something is telling me to continue along my current pathway in physical therapy. I'll be hitting a doctoral program (either Ph.D. or Sc.D) soon and will try hard not to look back.

Thanks for everyone's kind words of encouragement throughout the process. Maybe waitlist action will happen, but we'll just see out it comes along. Congratulations to all those who got in and good luck to you all. :luck:

Sorry to hear about that PT2MD. If you really want to be a physician I definitely would not give up but physical therapy is a great career as well. I wish you all the best in the future in whatever you decide to do!!!

Agree we got a great lookin class :) Im ALMOST engaged...or so i like to think :love: Probably will be by the time class begins. Anyways, im also lookin for more friends and couples to hang out with. Ive only lived in fort worth since last August and am always looking to meet new people. Look forward to meetin all of the TCOM c/o 2012!!! :hardy:

Wow there are some good lookin women in our class but too bad I'm married:laugh: Hope their are some cool married couples that we can meet and hang out with since I have not lived in Texas for 15 years... I don't know anybody!!! Looks like we are getting quite a few people joining on SDN and Facebook, July is approaching fast! Oh, by the way... go Pats tomorrow!!!!!

Anybody got some advice on where good places to live in Fort Worth are?

Members don't see this ad :)

I'm not sure but I'm looking at Fossil Creek (Northeast Ft. Worth), Monticello neighborhood (immediately north of TCOM), Seventh street (AMLI), and maybe Keller. If anybody knows about these areas please let us know!

I'm not sure but I'm looking at Fossil Creek (Northeast Ft. Worth), Monticello neighborhood (immediately north of TCOM), Seventh street (AMLI), and maybe Keller. If anybody knows about these areas please let us know!

Do you have kids?

Do we just sign and mail that contract back. No deposit required to hold our seat?

Also, when is everybody applying for financial aid etc?

No deposit. Just sign and return it. I'll probably be calling them to get it all set up in the next couple of months some time.

PT2MD: two words, and one punctuation mark...

1. GA
-
2. PCOM

Hey, I will be joining you guys for the class of 2012! This is my first time in the DO forum, because I was planning on going the allopathic route. However, I am very excited about attending TCOM. I just joined the Facebook group, and I will be in here a lot more.

Hey all! Does anyone know anything about the Wait List? Like if there is much movement on it or about how many people are put on it? I REALLY had my heart set on TCOM!
Thanks!

really depends on how much you are looking to spend...if your looking for some really nice places, safe, fairly new then Lincoln Trinity Bluff, Firestone, or Amli at 7th street are fairly comparable. They run about $800 for 800 sq ft one bedroom apartment. Honestly, i would recommend gettin an Apartment Finder. They can really help you out and even get you some good deals. Try going to Apartment Finder.com and requesting help from someone.

really depends on how far you want to commute. Amli is probably the best location out of those your mentioned. It is very close to TCOM (walking distance) but also very close to downtown.

Hey, I will be joining you guys for the class of 2012! This is my first time in the DO forum, because I was planning on going the allopathic route. However, I am very excited about attending TCOM. I just joined the Facebook group, and I will be in here a lot more.
CONGRATS! Glad to see ya here and Im sure you will love it.

Will we get something in the mail about these? I might be interested since I've only taken the minimum prereqs and have no where near the repertoire of a biology major...I didn't even take biochem or molecular biology...

If I remember correctly there were 3 refreshers offered in the summer. Two were done online (anatomy & histology) and the other was classroom (biochemistry).

You should receive an e-mail about these at some point in time. Once you get established e-mail addresses and login/password you will be able to access the student forums and the information will be posted there.

What is gone over in the 3 week refresher program? I wouldn't think anything in the cirriculum is taught.

The classroom one will review basically 2 semesters of biochemistry in 2-3 weeks. The pace is nuts and if you've never had biochemistry before it won't be a pleasant introduction, but will give you a sense about the foundation you need for med school.

IMO the course is intended to show you the pace and workload of a normal day here, except you're only in class for 3-4 hours, which is about 1/2 of what it normally is (6-8 hours/day).

I can tell you the best thing about taking the course is meeting your classmates ahead of time and finding good study buddies/friends.

Does anyone know where I can find an academic Calendar for 2008/2009? There is one on the website, but it is only for 2007/2008.

The schedule is in constant flux because they work on it continuously; implementing new things and doing away with other items. It won't be up anytime soon, at least it took a while for ours to come up.

You can get a general idea of the 1st and 2nd semester by looking at the 2007/2008 schedule. It will probably change, but not drastically.

Any questions about our schedule, just ask.

Congrats to all of those who got accepted. Welcome to TCOM :)

There are a lot of apartments off of Bryant Irvin Road along the trinity river on River Park Drive. It's a lot closer than Fossil Creek or keller.

I just went to the facebook group. I tell you what, That is the best looking group of future doctors that I have ever seen! Congrats to all who got in. If you're still waiting, keep your heads up, it'll happen.

I just went to the facebook group. I tell you what, That is the best looking group of future doctors that I have ever seen! Congrats to all who got in. If you're still waiting, keep your heads up, it'll happen.
Perhaps a quiet group of future doctors...what are we doing on the second page people????

One daughter (16 months now)!

Cool! We have a 17 month daughter and an almost 3 year old son. We won't be at TCOM though.

I don't know much about the Monticello neighborhood but I have heard that quite a few students live in the areas directly around the school, mainly north. Northeast Fort Worth is nice too and Keller has a great school district but I don't know if you would be worried about that just yet. Of course if you choose either of those areas you have roughly a 30 minute drive to school barring any serious tie ups and 35 tends to be busier than say 121 or even 30. If you're interested in being closer to the school of course Monticello and AMLI would be your best bets. There's another one on 7th street other than Firestone which is downtown (looks nice from the outside but likely expensive). I'll let you know this evening what that other one is I'm trying to think of, it's right next to/in front of the AMLI.

Does anyone know what days the "Refresher Courses" are planned to be held this summer? Also, do you know if they are a couple weeks, 3 weeks, a month?

Any info. would help. Thanks!

If I'm not mistaken, it was a 2 week long course that finished the Friday before Orientation. So that would mean it started between early to mid July.

Cool! We have a 17 month daughter and an almost 3 year old son. We won't be at TCOM though.

I don't know much about the Monticello neighborhood but I have heard that quite a few students live in the areas directly around the school, mainly north. Northeast Fort Worth is nice too and Keller has a great school district but I don't know if you would be worried about that just yet. Of course if you choose either of those areas you have roughly a 30 minute drive to school barring any serious tie ups and 35 tends to be busier than say 121 or even 30. If you're interested in being closer to the school of course Monticello and AMLI would be your best bets. There's another one on 7th street other than Firestone which is downtown (looks nice from the outside but likely expensive). I'll let you know this evening what that other one is I'm trying to think of, it's right next to/in front of the AMLI.

Thanks for the info! When I was there last fall 35 seemed to be very busy and I am very worried about commuting on that interstate everyday. Any other info would be great and your recommendations would be appreciated!

Does anyone know what days the "Refresher Courses" are planned to be held this summer? Also, do you know if they are a couple weeks, 3 weeks, a month?

Any info. would help. Thanks!

What's going on everybody! I've been checking in on this thread since the Match, and as DocRawk said, we can't let this stay on page 2! AggieDo, I emailed TCOM to ask them the same question. Here's their response:

"Yes there is a review course, it is a good review before school
starts. I am not sure the dates but typically they have it 2-3 weeks
before school starts the last week of July. ...

You will receive registration details for the biochem class in a packet
of materials you will be sent in the next few months. It will have more
details."

Hope that helps!:thumbup:

What's going on everybody! I've been checking in on this thread since the Match, and as DocRawk said, we can't let this stay on page 2! AggieDo, I emailed TCOM to ask them the same question. Here's their response:

"Yes there is a review course, it is a good review before school
starts. I am not sure the dates but typically they have it 2-3 weeks
before school starts the last week of July. ...

You will receive registration details for the biochem class in a packet
of materials you will be sent in the next few months. It will have more
details."

Hope that helps!:thumbup:

Thank you very much! That helps alot.

I hear many of you talking about places to live. That is awesome for me, because I am really unfamiliar with the Fort Worth area. However, most of you are talking about apartments. What would be the best places to buy/rent a house??

I've been wondering the same thing. I'd rather buy/rent a house than rent an apartment, if I can help it. The TCOM 2011 thread has some pretty good info:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=329682&highlight=TCOM&page=2

A bunch of people have advised that it's easiest to find a place if you just drive around the school and jot down info for places advertising for rent/sale. I plan on doing that before the Spring Fling just to get an idea of what's around town since I'm not really familiar with Fort Worth either....

I've been wondering the same thing. I'd rather buy/rent a house than rent an apartment, if I can help it. The TCOM 2011 thread has some pretty good info:

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?t=329682&highlight=TCOM&page=2

A bunch of people have advised that it's easiest to find a place if you just drive around the school and jot down info for places advertising for rent/sale. I plan on doing that before the Spring Fling just to get an idea of what's around town since I'm not really familiar with Fort Worth either....

We are looking to buy a house, so if anyone comes across some decent neighborhoods, let me know!

What is the Spring Fling???

What is the Spring Fling???

The Spring Fling is an event TCOM offers incoming students to attend. It's basically for you and your significant other, if you have one, that involves tours, lectures, guest speakers, etc... just to give you a better idea about what to expect and about Fort Worth itself. It should be like the winter event they held. It's a great opportunity to meet your future classmates as well.

The Spring Fling is an event TCOM offers incoming students to attend. It's basically for you and your significant other, if you have one, that involves tours, lectures, guest speakers, etc... just to give you a better idea about what to expect and about Fort Worth itself. It should be like the winter event they held. It's a great opportunity to meet your future classmates as well.

I called today to find out when it is- April 5th.
I couldn't make it to the one they had in December, so I will definitely attend this one.

hey all
Welcome to all of you that made it!
At the spring fling they will prolly have a housing fair with a bunch of the apt complexes there. I suggest getting an apt locater, they're free and if you get a new one they can find you exactly what you are looking for.
As for the review courses, I do suggest the biochem review. I did it, although I didn't take it seriously at all, but did it more to meet people. Plus, it's pretty cheap. I signed up for the online anatomy and histology things. I ended up only getting through a couple of the modules in the anatomy and never even opened the histo. Kind of a waste of money.
To get ready for school to start, I say DO NOTHING, HAVE AS MUCH FUN/RELAXATION AS POSSIBLE!!!!! When classes start you have to hit the ground running and sprint all the way to X-mas.

Does anyone have any inside info on the Hillside Apts near downtown FW? They had great ratings on apartmentratings.com but I haven't heard anything mentioned about them in the last couple years' worth of class threads.... :confused:

Does anyone know the exact date of Family Day and the White Coat Ceremony? Doesn't show up on TCOM website.

Does anyone know the exact date of Family Day and the White Coat Ceremony? Doesn't show up on TCOM website.

Family Day is July 26 and I believe that the White Coat Ceremony will be on September 12th this year.

Hey all! Does anyone know anything about the Wait List? Like if there is much movement on it or about how many people are put on it? I REALLY had my heart set on TCOM!
Thanks!

Welcome to my world! Yeah I've heard that the OOS waitlist moves faster than IS list, but anyways dont los hope yet. I suggest calling theADCOMS and asking them...
I also really want TCOM its seems to have everything I want. That too a top Osteo school I feel like I will get my full education.

Just a note for anyone looking into the UNTHSC (TCOM) post bac program. The school requires a 3.5 GPA for admittance to the med school. Because they calculate the grades based on the standard deviation from the class average, and the post bax class is separate from the other graduate students, about 2/3 of the class will never reach the required GPA. I would only sign up for this program again if I knew I would definetely score above most of my classmates. Although after PhD Gwirtz spoke to us it seems pretty clear why they calculate the grades among the post bacs that way. She came to our class soliciting for people who want to swap to the research side of the school. They will even accept 3.0 GPA students! (being sarcastic there). The bottom line is that you should be careful about the program. It is aimed at boosting their research departments, not the med school.

Halfway down the 2nd page...what a bunch of bums we are...

Everyone is quiet lately! We definitely need to start some new discussion...So, when are yall planning on moving up here? Anyone already know where they are going to live? Or already live here?

Who all plans on taking the 'refresher' courses this summer?

Everyone is quiet lately! We definitely need to start some new discussion...So, when are yall planning on moving up here? Anyone already know where they are going to live? Or already live here?

Who all plans on taking the 'refresher' courses this summer?
I live about thirty minutes from school and will stay where I am. I'm going to take the biochem class this summer.