UNTHSC/TCOM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Dude, if you get to TCOM, you'll be 4 years from being a doctor... I'm there, and I'd like a say in the laptop, but at the same time, I'll probably only use it for school and build a nice desktop for home. Long story short, it just doesn't seem like that big of a deal when you consider everything else happening at the moment.

Hah, you're completely right. I'm just poking at the discussion. I doubt I'll have time to really weigh in on it.

Granted, I have a long way to go and it might not even be there at TCOM but I'd still like to poke in here now and then.

Members don't see this ad.

Nothing at all wrong with poking in. This is the pre-osteo forum after all. I was just pointing out that the laptop, to me, seems to be the least of things to be concerned with. Housing, financial aide, scholarships (if possible), and above all, trying not to fall on my face when I get there are at the top of my list. I'm actually thankful that the computer stuff is taken care of for me, and I'm more than capable of doing it myself. I'm confident that TCOM will pick a good tablet and that it will probably be better than I could get for the same amount of money if I shopped for myself. They are buying 175+ of them at once...I'm sure there's some sort of discount being applied. The advantage is that we're ultimately paying for them ourselves, so they shouldn't be subject to the "whoever makes the best bid" rules that govern most public schools.

You guys are going to love TCOM if you enjoy hearing about umbilical hernias and sphincters while you eat. :laugh:

Members don't see this ad :)
Who doesn't love hearing about stuff like that when they eat?? Greatest diet ever!!

I've had a lab tech job for the last couple years doing ovariectomies and steriotactic brain implants on rats. The end game in all of these experiments is to gas the rat, perfuse it (like embalming), then remove the brain and put it in a jar with formalin. This is almost always followed immediately by lunch.:D

Nice, I figure though that hunger is still the best spice, because I basically eat to stay alive. It's hard to find joy in food anymore :oops:

By the way, in case anyone is wondering the post-bac online chat for TCOM is tonight at 6pm. It was postponed due to weather so I'll make a full report later.

Well, it's a few days late, but here's a full scoop on the post-bac talk.

Before I begin though, if something was mentioned in the previous report about general stuff, I'll just say it was similar to the last report. I go into great detail in the post-bac forums so I'll only say what might be applicable here, which isn't much.
  • A lot of questions were directed at TCOM or other med school admissions following completion. A few statistics were shot out, some very good (78%?) but I got lost in them so I'm not too worried.
  • Many applicants asked about the MCAT prep since some had taken it once but wanted to improve.
  • It starts in the summer, with intro biochem, the MCAT thing, and a summer preceptorship. Will anything else happen?
  • According to one chat admin, in the past 6 years, only 101 completed the program. They accept 55 this year and I don't know how big it was when it started, but that kinda of scared me.
I don't know what else to say that is applicable here. I go into specifics in the post-bac thread so if anyone wants me transcript of the chat, just PM me.

http://forums.studentdoctor.net/showthread.php?p=6375608#post6375608

I have AT&T and would like to get a pda/phone. Does anyone have any recommendations? What is the difference between a blackberry pearl, blackberry curve, iphone, trio, and tilt?

I have AT&T and would like to get a pda/phone. Does anyone have any recommendations? What is the difference between a blackberry pearl, blackberry curve, iphone, trio, and tilt?

My husband and I have had Treos for a couple of years and loved them. Personally, I like the "mini typewriter" for easy texting, and the calendar/organizer is great! My husband's was the older model (the 650 I think) and he was having trouble with it randomly shutting off so he bought the new Mogul. My 700 hasn't had that problem, unless I let the battery run low.

The only trouble with the i-Phone IMO is that, for now, it is not compatible with third-party software. My husband is enjoying the Mogul, as it is Wi-Fi capable AND allows third-party software (good for epocrates, etc.). Sounds like I need to trade up now! ;)

I'm getting married!!!

Holy crap, people!!! Third page???

I don't know, are there any waitlist people that might want to talk about the LOIs or something? Not much going on until April 21st, when I find out about the post-bac stuff.

I hope I get in, because I'll be able to meet some of you guys :)

Members don't see this ad :)
I am eagerly awaiting word on the pre-med Master's program too! I think this will be the best route for ME, to ensure success in med school at TCOM. Come on Apri 21st! So they'll send an e-mail and change the status of our page to...what: "Your woes are over, welcome home"? :D

Holy crap, people!!! Third page???

Keep in mind that there are people on waitlists at other schools, so they're not wanting to join the discussion prematurely.

Also, look for the TCOM facebook group as having more action than here on SDN (at least that's how it seems from my experience).

Good luck to you mandinca...I'm waiting for that fateful day too.

I think they just update the online page, right? Do they send an email as well?

Also, I think I'll try to join that Facebook group if I know I'm getting in. I would join now, but I feel strange being just a mere hopeful :oops:

Thank you, Flushot. And good luck to you as well! :luck:

Met a friend-of-a-friend last night who is a second-year at KCOM. It was SO encouraging to hear his success story. And, he had nothing but wonderful things to say about TCOM, it's program and faculty, which is always exciting to hear! :D

I'll definitely get on that Facebook network if I get in!

So this preview day thing on April 5th, is it casual? Can I show up in jeans and T-shirt?

Preview day? I'm guessing this in person.

Well, for those of you that make it, please tell us how it was. I was on Ft. Worth the other day and I really wish I had to the time to check out the art museum as well as tour the campus. Guess you can't do it all.

I am guessing this thing is casual feline. My line of thinking is we are already accepted. Are they going to say, "Sorry. Looks like we are going to have to revoke your acceptance, seeing as you wore jeans to Spring Fling." I don't think I am bringing anything besides jeans, so you won't be the only one.

Something else: the only reasonably priced hotel room I can find is in Arlington, and I am not familiar with the DFW area. How long of a drive would this be on a Saturday morning??

I am guessing this thing is casual feline. My line of thinking is we are already accepted. Are they going to say, "Sorry. Looks like we are going to have to revoke your acceptance, seeing as you wore jeans to Spring Fling." I don't think I am bringing anything besides jeans, so you won't be the only one.

Something else: the only reasonably priced hotel room I can find is in Arlington, and I am not familiar with the DFW area. How long of a drive would this be on a Saturday morning??

Depends on where in Arlington. If your hotel is close to I-30 or I-20, I'd guess about a twenty minute drive. And it's mostly highway. Say thirty minutes, just to be on the safe side. :)

Depends on where in Arlington. If your hotel is close to I-30 or I-20, I'd guess about a twenty minute drive. And it's mostly highway. Say thirty minutes, just to be on the safe side. :)

:thumbup: Definitely give yourself 30 minutes. It will be quicker if you're closer to 30.

So as I stew in my nervousness and anticipation of April 21st, I remember that my new volunteer work over this Spring semester is not in my application. I submitted my app for the SMP back in Oct of '07. I had not done much volunteer work for the past few years prior to this (worked full time as RN in PICU and pedi-transport though), but does this have more relevance with the med school app than the SMP app?
Thank you in advance! :D

I have been out of state since 2001 when I joined the military right out of high school. In November of 2005 I was discharge for injuries sustained in combat. Then in January 20O6, I started at BYU. However, while I was in the military my home of record was Texas and on my DD214 (discharge papers) my home of record is Texas. Do you think I will still be consider a Texas Resident?

I have been out of state since 2001 when I joined the military right out of high school. In November of 2005 I was discharge for injuries sustained in combat. Then in January 20O6, I started at BYU. However, while I was in the military my home of record was Texas and on my DD214 (discharge papers) my home of record is Texas. Do you think I will still be consider a Texas Resident?
I think it probably depends on what your permanent address is. If you've got parents in Texas and used them as your permanent address while you were enlisted, you're probably golden. Most of the time, a school address is only considered a temporary address and doesn't mean much as far as you actual residence. I've had friends go to OU or other nearby universities only to return to Texas after 2 or 3 years and go to a state school with in-state tuition.

So as I stew in my nervousness and anticipation of April 21st, I remember that my new volunteer work over this Spring semester is not in my application. I submitted my app for the SMP back in Oct of '07. I had not done much volunteer work for the past few years prior to this (worked full time as RN in PICU and pedi-transport though), but does this have more relevance with the med school app than the SMP app?
Thank you in advance! :D

During the online talk, they said you can email them materials before the deadline, like extra volunteering you did in case you wanted to put more into it.

I guess it's too late now but yeah, I would put it anywhere you could.

Less than 3 weeks until April 21st; it's going to be nuts.

Gosh, I know! i sure hope we all get in!!!!

:luck:Good luck to all of us SMP-hopefuls:luck:

Hey everyone! For anyone curious about the attire, it is business casual. It is only for those who have already been accepted... Sorry, hopefuls, but your time will come!! :)
For those of you who will be there, can't wait to meet you!

I am also waiting for April 21st. I got into the postbac program at Midwestern in Downersgrove, Il. I went ahead and paid that deposit because I did not want to be without somewhere to go next year. I am from Texas, so my family is really shooting for Ft.Worth.

So, i know we got the Required Textbook List from the class website, but does anyone know what books (if any, or if any that are not on the list) that we will need for the Refresher courses this summer?

So, i know we got the Required Textbook List from the class website, but does anyone know what books (if any, or if any that are not on the list) that we will need for the Refresher courses this summer?

I was trying to glean more info. about this course during the preview day, but it seemed to me that they don't have everything locked down yet. My bet is that as soon as they know, it'll be on our class website. If you find out, though, I'd love to hear!

I can tell you that last year, they recommended the Moore and Lippincott anatomy and Kierszenbaum histology books for the online review courses. Since these are on the book list, I just got them early so I could have them while doing the reviews. Both online reviews have very thorough information posted through UNT's online blackboard system. That seems like so long ago now but I do remember that when we started our MSS systems class, it was somewhat of a review because the same profs do the online courses.
For the biochem class, we were encouraged to use whatever we had from undergrad. Opinions are strong it seems for what is the best biochem text. I have the Meisenberg but wouldn't rave about it.
I kept my powerpoints from these courses but frankly never had time to review them and since the material was presented again, I had it twice in different forms. Still, I'm glad I took them all since it had been over a year since I had any of those in undergrad and it made me feel better prepared. I definitely recommend the biochem class because it's a great "get ready for med school" time and it's fun to meet some of the class early. I hope that helps and I look forward to meeting you all when we get back to school this summer.

If ya'll are asking about the Med Masters, don't forget the online chat tomorrow night. They should be able to answer all of these questions for us, I would think.

I just withdrew from TCOM (OOS app.) I hope it goes to someone on SDN. It was a tough decision! :luck::luck: with your first year!!!

I just withdrew from TCOM (OOS app.) I hope it goes to someone on SDN. It was a tough decision! :luck::luck: with your first year!!!

Thanks! I suppose this does not affect me as an in-state waitlister?

Not that I have heard. All the TX schools seem to have movement (although small) except TCOM and Tech.

Wow, first post EVER...

Thought I'd let everyone know that this past Tuesday, I got a call from TCOM accepting me off the waitlist so there is SOME movement

Great I know, but the bad news for most of you is that I'm OOS...so I don't know how much hope that gives the IS WL'ers.

It's my first acceptance and it came in May, so I know the pain everyone is feeling....

as a side note, I noticed alotta people talking about SMP's...well I'm doing the SMP at Drexel University right now (I'm a CA resident though, no PA) and it was GREAT. I'm pretty sure they're still taking applications. look up the IMS(Interdepartmental Medical Sciences) program if you are open to living in Philadelphia

I got of the OOS waitlist this last Tuesday, and accepted it...finally an acceptance.

Congratulations to ya'll!!!! :D

Hey everybody I got into TCOM off the waitlist as an OOS'er but i just got off the waitlist at my top choice so I am withdrawing from TCOM.

Gluck to everybody and keep hope alive...these are my first two acceptances and they came in May and June!!

Does anyone know how rotations work at TCOM? I know that at some schools, they make you set up your own rotations. Does TCOM set them up for you, or do you have to do all the calling? Thanks!

Does anyone know how rotations work at TCOM? I know that at some schools, they make you set up your own rotations. Does TCOM set them up for you, or do you have to do all the calling? Thanks!

Bump........Anyone? ................... Bueller? ...........................

Rotations are set up for you, you can trade them around but you have a schedule given to you.

During late 2nd year, you will be entered into a lottery for rotation spots. Shortly before 3rd year, you'll get your rotation schedule. You can switch entire schedules, but otherwise, you're kind of stuck. At least you don't have to set up your own rotations.

4th year electives you'll have to set up on your own - you should start in the spring of your 3rd year - like about March - to set up your 4th year audition rotations.

jd

I have a question for anyone already attending TCOM. I tried to run a search, but searches don't work very well on the prehistoric dinosaur that is my home computer!

How mandatory is class attendance? I like attending lecture, but the fall schedule that was just posted seems so full during the day. I can imagine days where I'll just have had enough and will need some time by myself to sit in complete silence and study. Is this frowned upon? Which classes are the best/worst to skip?

I'm going to arrive early at school each day to study, as well as studying during lunch. I hope to study after putting the kids to bed each night, but I'm not a night person and waste time trying to work that way. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

I just withdrew from TCOM this past week (I'm in-state). Hopefully it'll go to someone on SDN. Good luck! =)

I just withdrew from TCOM this past week (I'm in-state). Hopefully it'll go to someone on SDN. Good luck! =)

Thanks! Where did you end up?