UNTHSC/TCOM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How mandatory is class attendance?

Some classes are mandatory, others aren't. However, the ones that are not absolutely mandatory are still the kind of classes you are "Highly Encouraged" to attend.

Once you start, you will get the hang of which ones you can miss and which ones you need to show up for. It's a little tough to explain online and Big Brother is always watching :D

Also, if class attendance gets ridiculously low they might take away some privileges, so be cognizant of that.

Once you get assigned your big buddy, he/she will be able to tell you a little more about this.

Members don't see this ad.

hey guys i haven't posted in a while...I am waitlisted at TCOM currently...I figure that my chances aren't too good...I have gotten into other schools and have decided upon KCOM as of now, but I'd like to really hear back from TCOM...anyone know of my chances as of now?

Hi I'm finishing up my secondary app. for TCOM (sending it tomorrow), and I had a couple questions. I didn't realize that it was "highly recommended" to have a LOR from a D.O. I was planning to shadow a D.O. in August sometime just to see if there's any difference from an M.D. (I was told by my advisor that there wasn't that much difference).

so my questions are:

*Does the letter make a big difference?

*How long does it take to get an interview after you submit everything?

*Are my stats ok for TCOM?:

GPA: 3.45
sGPA:3.36
MCAT: 27P
shadowed, volunteered, leadership positions, etc.

***thanks in advance :)

Last edited:
Members don't see this ad :)
Is it bad to leave these blank?

Do you consider yourself financially disadvantaged?
PT_PIXEL_1.gif
PT_PIXEL_1.gif
If yes, please explain.
PT_PIXEL_1.gif
PT_PIXEL_1.gif
PT_PIXEL_1.gif
Do you consider yourself educationally disadvantaged?
PT_PIXEL_1.gif
PT_PIXEL_1.gif
If yes, please explain.
PT_PIXEL_1.gif

For what it's worth, here's my info:

GPA: 3.87 (Don't remember the breakdown between science and other, but it was about the same)
MCAT: 28O

I did have a LOR from a DO (who graduated from TCOM, actually). Everything but MCAT submitted mid-June; MCAT scores in by 7/13. I got a call from TCOM on 7/19 and interviewed on 8/10. I was accepted on 11/15.

From the TCOM website, here's the info for the Fall 2007 class:
Mean Overall GPA 3.56
Mean Science GPA 3.47
Mean MCAT Score 27.3

You can look at other statistics here: http://www.hsc.unt.edu/education/tcom/enteringclassstats.cfm

and other helpful information can be found here:
http://www.aacom.org/people/colleges/Pages/default.aspx

Best of luck to you! :luck:

hey guys i haven't posted in a while...I am waitlisted at TCOM currently...I figure that my chances aren't too good...I have gotten into other schools and have decided upon KCOM as of now, but I'd like to really hear back from TCOM...anyone know of my chances as of now?

Wow, does this sound familiar. I was in the same situation, except I had just scheduled an 'off-cycle' interview with KCOM. Got called off the waitlist at TCOM as of 19 May, 2 weeks before my KCOM interview.

You won't go wrong with either school. The people at KCOM are wonderful but so are the people at TCOM. The faculty and administration at TCOM are very, very pro-student and really interested in you and your progress. Great bunch of professors and administrators.

I can't speak for KCOM but from people I know who've graduated, they're a great bunch also.

Look at it this way, either way, you win.....

I wouldn't think so. If you aren't disadvantaged, just answer "No" to both questions.

I'm financially disadvantaged in college... i live like a poor college student... haha

==just so u know i'm leaving it blank...

Last edited:
I'm applying to only Texas medical schools. So the only DO school I'm applying to is TCOM. I honestly don't care if it's MD or DO (wannabe pediatrician). But for DO they want a DO LOR. Did any of the people here not get one?
-I'm planning on shadowing a DO this month.

Just wanted to bump this thread with an acceptance to TCOM! I have to be there on Monday, though! :eek:

:D I'm so excited I don't need caffeine this morning!

Just wanted to bump this thread with an acceptance to TCOM! I have to be there on Monday, though! :eek:

:D I'm so excited I don't need caffeine this morning!

Congrats GUMP! I know exactly how you feel. I was also pulled from TCOM's waitlist 1 week before orientation last year =D

So anyone get any interviews yet? If so, when? And what are your stats? Did you have a D.O. letter?

I got an interview invite from TCOM this morning. I got a voicemail from a lady named Caroline and I called her back and scheduled it for August 14th. Just for those who are curious my stats are:

3.8 uGPA (science and overall were almost exactly the same)
27O MCAT

Did NOT have a letter from a DO nor have I had any experience shadowing or volunteering with one, but I do plan to now for sure.

Last edited:
Congrats on the interview!! I'm a non-trad and I've been excited about a chance at tcom ever since I started my "pre-med journey"...:oops:that sounded kinda gay but whatev. Pinky, what date was your tmsda application complete? What are your major ECs?

Thank ya MJ. I'm very excited about TCOM as well.

My app was processed and sent to schools on 6/11 (with the first batch I think).

As far as ECs and healthcare experience, I shadowed 3 docs, volunteered at a hospital, voluteered at a health clinic, worked at 2 doc offices during summers, did research at A&M, volunteered at my church, involved in several school organizations...I think thats about it. I had a lot of things to put down but nothing that was too out of the ordinary.

Good luck!! Your stats look pretty good, let us know how the interview goes.

I was processed on 6/12, but my premed advisor didn't send my lor till 7/18, so thats when my app was completed.

Would love to hear if anyone else got an interview notice yet....I'm still waiting on mine:scared:

I love that nervous face emoticon. . . it epitomizes life as a pre med!

Hey guys, my application was completed and sent to TCOM on June 26 but I haven't heard anything yet. Still waiting :(

Hey, I had a quick question. Do yall think it is too late to apply to TCOM for fall 2009?

I know that they work on rolling admissions and some interviews have already been scheduled. The application deadline is October 1st, so its about halfway through the application time line.

Last edited:
hey, I Had A Quick Question. Do Yall Think It Is Too Late To Apply To Tcom For Fall 2009?

I Know That They Work On Rolling Admissions And Some Interviews Have Already Been Scheduled. The Application Deadline Is October 1st, So Its About Halfway Through The Application Time Line. My Stats Are Mcat - 26 And Gpa Of 3.65.

Apply.