2022-2023 University of North Texas Health Science Center/Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine (UNTHSC/TCOM)

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Our tech package includes a MacBook Pro, 2TB external drive, ethernet cable & adapter, and a USB-C hub included in the first semester's fees! This year we got the 2020 M1 MacBook Pro, 16GB RAM, 512 GB SSD, since we started just after the M2 MBP came out, but I wouldn't be surprised if y'all got the M2 for next year :giggle:. Everyone has to use the school-provided laptop "so nobody has a hardware performance advantage over anyone else during exams", is what I'm told by IT, but it's still yours to keep after you graduate!
Also, dang your school is generous giving free apple products while charging low tuition😮. Do most state schools like Georgia, Maryland, or Florida give free laptops and iPads?

Members don't see this ad.

Also, dang your school is generous giving free apple products while charging low tuition😮. Do most state schools like Georgia, Maryland, or Florida give free laptops and iPads?
I wouldn't say "free" , as there is an additional required fee for the first semester relative to other semesters

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I mean you usually get a cheap case and keyboard cover too 👍
We didn't this year, we did get a soft laptop pouch/holder but no actual case for the laptop.

What stuff does the technology fee cover, in addition to your MacBooks?
The tech fee only covers the tech package. Exam software and subscriptions like UWorld and UpToDate fall under separate fees.

Does anyone know if going to a campus tour will help to *some degree* with increasing your chances of getting admitted?

Lol it's a DO school. Correct me if I'm wrong but I don't think any DOs across the country match plastics except for 1-2 a year (IF THAT). Now you could do gen surg then do a fellowship. Also the category on their list only includes 4 years, not every year prior to that or even last year.
There seems to be several pathways to plastic. DOs generally don't match into integrated plastic positions. You have to go through the alternate routes.

"The independent programs accept residents who have completed either a complete general surgery training program or training in ENT, orthopedics or even neurosurgery. They are also able to accept residents who have completed three or four years of prerequisite general surgery training if it was performed at the same program as the plastic surgery residency and meets the ABPS pre-requisite training requirements."

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if going to a campus tour will help to *some degree* with increasing your chances of getting admitted?
I’m pretty sure it has 0 bearing on your application

Possibly but very very mildly.

It won’t be a specific category or checkbox on your application. However, face time with the admissions officers can certainly unconsciously or consciously change their perceptions about you.

This is almost definitely not going to be the difference between getting in or not, though, and I would not go if you were not genuinely interested in a campus tour. The opposite is also true if you get there and appear uninterested.

I can’t stress enough that the impact on your application would be minimal, but I did want to account for the possibility of perception change.

Possibly but very very mildly.

It won’t be a specific category or checkbox on your application. However, face time with the admissions officers can certainly unconsciously or consciously change their perceptions about you.

This is almost definitely not going to be the difference between getting in or not, though, and I would not go if you were not genuinely interested in a campus tour. The opposite is also true if you get there and appear uninterested.

I can’t stress enough that the impact on your application would be minimal, but I did want to account for the possibility of perception change.
Thank you so much. That was very helpful. I had an interview here and am trying my best to show them how committed I am to their school. Regardless, I’m excited to at least check out the school and get a feel for it.

hoping for a round of prematches to go through this week. The wait has been killer :(

Reactions: 2 users
Been lurking around this post for a little bit, but today I just pre-matched! Interviewed 12/13.

• Love
Reactions: 9 users
Pre-matched today! interviewed 12/9

• Love
Reactions: 7 users
I am guessing they are not sending out any more interviews since it says on the website their interview cycle runs until January right ?

Reactions: 1 users
I am guessing they are not sending out any more interviews since it says on the website their interview cycle runs until January right ?
I believe that they are done with sending out interviews at this point. Probably done with sending pre-matches too I'd assume

Does anyone know what the dress code for students is?

I'm sorry if this is stupid question, but what is considered beach formal?
1675193668963.png

Reactions: 4 users
Beach formal
Excuse me, that's UTMB's dress code! In true Fort Worth and rural med fashion, we wear cowboy hat/boots, jeans w/ a large belt buckle, and a flannel shirt 🤠

Does anyone know what the dress code for students is?
Jokes aside, most days it's just casual wear. Other than that, it's scrubs for anatomy lab, shorts/leggings and t-shirt (or scrubs) for OMM and physical exam labs, scrubs (or business professional) + white coat for SP interviews.

They sent us a survey a few weeks back asking if we'd be interested in having scrubs as an everyday dress code but I haven't heard anything back about that. Our PA school already does that and they're comfortable imo.

• Haha
A about 20 min ago!! A pleasant surprise since I didn't know they gave out offers before match day (I thought people who didn't prematch had to wait until match day for offers? still a little confused about this whole process...please don't mind me:hungover:)

• Love
Reactions: 3 users
A about 20 min ago!! A pleasant surprise since I didn't know they gave out offers before match day (I thought people who didn't prematch had to wait until match day for offers? still a little confused about this whole process...please don't mind me:hungover:)
Are you an OOS applicant?
They don’t go by the TMDSAS match timeline & can get offers any time after October 15.
Congratulations!

• Love
Pre-matched! (In-state) also surprised since I thought I had to wait!

• Love
It seems like a few schools this year have not followed TMDSAS timeframes and have extended pre-matches this month.

Pre-matched! (In-state) also surprised since I thought I had to wait!
Looks like the TMDSAS handbook is either outdated or this year schools were given a special exemption but that's not the first TMDSAS to send a prematch in February.
Regardless, congrats!

I never got an interview from this school and was expecting the R back in January because I know that is the last month for their interview cycle. Still nothing, I was wondering if somebody else is going through the same experience as me ?

I never got an interview from this school and was expecting the R back in January because I know that is the last month for their interview cycle. Still nothing, I was wondering if somebody else is going through the same experience as me ?
yup... me :(

Same. I emailed them recently and got this after submitting an update and asking their stage in the cycle, “At this time, the interview cycle is closed. Whether or not interviews invitations will reopen is up to the Dean’s discretion.”

So it’s coming. They also give feedback 1:1 and in small groups - at least they did last year. Those opportunities fill quick FYI.

Some Texas schools will wait until after match day to send out Rs if you have not been interviewed.

Thank you all for the feedback!! Best of luck

I’m bitter, I didn’t receive an interview here but have been getting several emails about “Learn more about our school”

Personally, I feel like if you can’t send Rs and you already know who’s been rejected, I should be taken off your spam list. It’s disrespectful to the departed lol.

I’m serious though, I got them before match day too, I thought…but no, some useless info session.

I messaged about this before but hoping someone important reads this and understands how it can be very misleading for people already overwhelmed in the application cycle.

I want to be rejected 10000% not 99.999999% with lots of emails.

Reactions: 3 users
I’m bitter, I didn’t receive an interview here but have been getting several emails about “Learn more about our school”

Personally, I feel like if you can’t send Rs and you already know who’s been rejected, I should be taken off your spam list. It’s disrespectful to the departed lol.

I’m serious though, I got them before match day too, I thought…but no, some useless info session.

I messaged about this before but hoping someone important reads this and understands how it can be very misleading for people already overwhelmed in the application cycle.

I feel the same. I know I won't receive any interview invites from this school because they explicitly said their interview cycle ends in January but I think we deserve a solid rejection email at least.

I feel the same. I know I won't receive any interview invites from this school because they explicitly said their interview cycle ends in January but I think we deserve a solid rejection email at least.
Ohhh yeah, for sure.

I just feel like if I can be added to a spam list, I can’t be given a proper R. Lol.

Or just don’t add me to the list because getting emails makes me have false hope, like a kick while you’re down because I already know they aren’t extending more interviews at this time. Especially in January and afterward.

Anyway, let me be quiet, super congrats to everyone!

I think your feelings are valid. This school seems to be particuarly egregious with their newsletters, too lol. I have a friend who's a first year at UTMB and they still get emails from them

TX match on Friday and I'm stressin

This is gunna be a long week

I'm not good at haikus

• Haha
Idk why I thought it was a week away . I forgot February has 28 days. So, now the nerves are kicking in. Anyways, hit the like button to manifest an A from UNTHSC with me 🥸.

• Haha
Reactions: 10 users
I’m OOS on the WL. Y’all think there’s any chance of WL movement from the match? Or am I in for the long wait for April?