UNTHSC/TCOM Discussion thread 2007-2008

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I got stuff back from TCOM...waitlist :(
I dont think they have any spots left for OOS...

Members don't see this ad.

I got stuff back from TCOM...waitlist :(
I dont think they have any spots left for OOS...
I'm not sure about the whole OOS thing, but I'd imagine that there are plenty of people with early acceptances that will match out into a school higher on their list. There'll probably be significant shiftage on Feb. 1.

But IS doesnt affect the OOS and OOS dont actually participate in the match.

Members don't see this ad :)
The days be draggin...looks like I picked the wrong week to stop sniffing glue.

Just kidding adcoms!!

But IS doesnt affect the OOS and OOS dont actually participate in the match.

Yes you are correct that OOS don't participate in the match. The OOS pool is different from the IS pool applicants. There are only a limited number of spots available for OOS at TCOM due to state school subsidizing. If OOS offers are turned down then TCOM will give those offers to the OOS who are next on the list. What it means for you is that the waiting game could take all the way till May 2008, the deadline where those OOS offers must commit to the school of their choices.

To chr123:
I dont know of many places walking distance either, other than those outrageously priced apartments called the museum i think? i live downtown in Lincoln Trinity Bluff and love it. It should only take me 5-10 minutes to get there

To chr123:
I dont know of many places walking distance either, other than those outrageously priced apartments called the museum i think? i live downtown in Lincoln Trinity Bluff and love it. It should only take me 5-10 minutes to get there

I'm over there in one of the apartment complexes along the trinity near bryant irvin.

Downtown would be great. When I moved out here all the places I looked at downtown were 900+ a month. How much is it over by you? I'm at 650 now, but could probably get a bit cheaper accross the street.

I'm over there in one of the apartment complexes along the trinity near bryant irvin.

Downtown would be great. When I moved out here all the places I looked at downtown were 900+ a month. How much is it over by you? I'm at 650 now, but could probably get a bit cheaper accross the street.

Yah, Lincoln Trinity Bluff is a little high, but i really like the location and its brand new. I live in a 1 bed/1 bath, about 780sq ft for a little under 1000/month. It was a spur of the moment move and it was one of the only nice ones with availability at the time i needed. I really like it thought and being so close to downtown is always a ton of fun.

Mine changed from "Application... Under ... Review" to

"Application status will be offline until the February 1 Texas Medical School Admissions Match. "

Login and check it out. They are preparing for the firework at midnight of Jan 31.

"Application status will be offline until the February 1 Texas Medical School Admissions Match. "

Login and check it out. They are preparing for the firework at midnight of Jan 31.

Mine did too....Im just hoping that it means they want me when the match comes around! Maybe they just enjoy the suspense of it all. I know i sure dont!

A bunch of us live in University Park condos. It's cheap, safe, and 3 mins away from school. I am not sure if the number is listed. If you want the number, PM me. They have efficiencies, 1 bedroom, 1 bed+loft. Pricing and quality of the apt depends on your landlord. Each condo looks different inside. There are a quite a few neighborhoods surrounding TCOM with duplexes and houses for rent. If you guys come down during Spring Fling, just drive around the neighborhoods and see if there is a sign posted. Also, as I mentioned before, go to http://students.hsc.unt.edu/ and click on "Housing Opportunities." If you can afford it, a lot of students live at the AMLI on Camp Bowie (3 mins away from school) or at Ridglea Village/Cumberland on Bryant Irvin (<10 mins away from school). You can apply for income-restriction rent at the Ridglea apartments. If I remember correctly, it was about 150+ bucks off for 1 bedroom but a lot moreee for 2 bedrooms. In my opinion, the Ridglea is a lot nicer than Cumberland and includes a W/D.

I'm not sure if I'm going here yet, but I also live in Fort Worth and would probably move closer to the school if I go here.

A bunch of students say that they have cheap housing walking distance from the campus. Where? I don't know of any apartments right there and all the houses in those neighborhoods are ungodly expensive. Do you know where they are talking about?

Mine made the same change. Let's all keep our fingers crossed.

...... If I remember correctly, it was about 150+ bucks off for 1 bedroom but a lot moreee for 2 bedrooms........

Is that $150/month or $150 discount from the actual rent? If accepted I am interested in the lowest possible rent. I would not mind government housing either. It is cheap rent and get use to living in the poor neighborhood.

Members don't see this ad :)
Is that $150/month or $150 discount from the actual rent? If accepted I am interested in the lowest possible rent. I would not mind government housing either. It is cheap rent and get use to living in the poor neighborhood.
Honestly, the easiest way to find the apartment you are looking for is to go to a website like apartmentfinders.com and request help from an apartment locator. It does not cost a thing. It was really helpful for me because she knew about almost every apartment around this area, the prices, the amenities, the pros, the cons, etc. Plus, having him/her with you may enable you to get discount at certain apartment complexes that she/he works with a lot. For instance, I got half of first and second months rent by using her. It really may be worth looking into, especially if your not from this area.

I'm pretty sure everyone's status says the same thing. Mine's got the whole offline till Feb 1 thing too.

I got that thin envelope in the mail, thanking me for my application but apply again after reading the reapplicant link. I didnt even have to open the letter, I knew what it would say in there.

But like dumb arse, I opened the envelope. wishful thinking !! Reality bites.

I got that thin envelope in the mail, thanking me for my application but apply again after reading the reapplicant link. I didnt even have to open the letter, I knew what it would say in there.

But like dumb arse, I opened the envelope. wishful thinking !! Reality bites.

Sorry to hear that Porco. Hang in there. Have you applied to other programs as well?

so...do you think anyone will hear anything else before Feb. 1???

I'm pretty sure no one will hear anything else until Feb. 1 unless it's along the lines of rejection or waitlist. December 31 was the last day that offers could be made until Feb. 1.

In staters will definitely not hear anything until Feb 1st.

Does TCOM require a deposit like other schools? Also, when does the Fall semester typically start?

I am pretty sure that TCOM doesn't need a deposit for TX residents. My buddy, who got in during rolling admissions, said he didn't have to do anything but confirm his acceptance. There may be a deposit at some point though. Or you might just have to show up the first day.

Does TCOM require a deposit like other schools? Also, when does the Fall semester typically start?

TCOM does not require an acceptance deposit for in-state student (I don't know about OOS or whether any deposit is required before the semester begins - I will post once I hear anything from the school).

Orientation begins the week of July 21st ending with a Family Day on July 26th. Classes begin on July 28.

Thanks guys.

Orientation begins the week of July 21st ending with a Family Day on July 26th. Classes begin on July 28.

The optional refresher courses start about 3 weeks prior orientation just FYI.

The optional refresher courses start about 3 weeks prior orientation just FYI.
Will we get something in the mail about these? I might be interested since I've only taken the minimum prereqs and have no where near the repertoire of a biology major...I didn't even take biochem or molecular biology...

Anyone doing their D.O/PhD program? I am an OOSer but I really want to do TCOM or OUCOM DO/PhD (and both have bad OOS acceptance rates :(). Anyone know the difficulty of getting in, and the general quality of the program?

Anyone doing their D.O/PhD program? I am an OOSer but I really want to do TCOM or OUCOM DO/PhD (and both have bad OOS acceptance rates :(). Anyone know the difficulty of getting in, and the general quality of the program?

TCOM's program seems to be top notch. It's the only DO school I know anything about. It's pretty tough to get in out of state.

What is gone over in the 3 week refresher program? I wouldn't think anything in the cirriculum is taught.

The day after the day after tomorrow is the day!!!!

actually, isn't the day after the day after tomorrow the day after the day tomorrow? :idea:

I think a lot of people who matched start finding out just after midnight so if you stay up late enough it's the day after tomorrow. ;)

Thursday 5pm CST. :D

Wait....We find out Thursday at 5pm??? or Friday at Midnight???

Thursday 5pm CST. :D

Are you getting nervous boss? You interviewed TCOM very early according to your mdapplicant. It must have been a torturing 6 months waiting ordeal for you. Neverthess the end is tomorrow and I wish you the best in your match and get what you want.

Are you getting nervous boss? You interviewed TCOM very early according to your mdapplicant. It must have been a torturing 6 months waiting ordeal for you. Neverthess the end is tomorrow and I wish you the best in your match and get what you want.

Getting a bit anxious, but I'm actually more excited than anything. I've got some good options lined out in front of me, so I know things will work out just fine. Thanks Blue and good luck to you as well.

Good luck to everyone waiting for the match. I'm hoping to see all of you guys that have been so encouraging all along when orientation rolls around. And I still think the TCOM SDNer's BBQ get together is a great idea!

Grrrr +pissed+ The TCOM website is either jam packed with people checking their status, or its just not working for me. Anyone else having problems?

Grrrr +pissed+ The TCOM website is either jam packed with people checking their status, or its just not working for me. Anyone else having problems?

It was having problems earlier but is working fine for me now.

So, its about 5:00...where do we find out about our Match? is it on the TMDSAS website? or on our status on the TCOM website???

Thank you!

So, its about 5:00...where do we find out about our Match? is it on the TMDSAS website? or on our status on the TCOM website???

Thank you!
I don't know if it's on the TCOM website or not, but match on TMDSAS is up!

If the TMDSAS website has listed under application status - Match: TCOM, does this mean you have been accepted there?

School Matched: Texas College of Osteopathic Medicine

Does this mean I got in?

Sounds like you guys got in!! Congrats!! :clap::banana:

Well, that's what mine says, and I got early acceptance and have them as the only school on my list. So, I'd say........CONGRATULATIONS!!!

Well then let me be the first to say "Can't wait to be your classmates!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

And a lot of other emotional things guys don't say to each other.

YYYYAAAAAAYYYYYY!!!!! and Congrats to all other who got in as well! and Thank you