UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Does anyone know if there have been any rejection emails sent 0ut?

Members don't see this ad.

Anybody know when financial aid will be released for accepted applicants?

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

I got accepted. Probably not going to take it because I just got a good job offer. Hope one of yall gets my spot!

Members don't see this ad :)
I think so. I havent got an email yet but my portal says "Congrats you have been admitted and will receive an official email soon"
Stats were 3.59 cgpa, 3.45 sgpa, 31 mcat

I just dont know if this program is worth the money. I've done file reviews with about 6 tmdsas med schools who rejected me this year and 1 which I'm on the waitlist for and they all said I didn't need this program, it stands to hurt me more than help if you dont get at least a 3.7. Avg loan taken out for a year here is like 40k and you can't do anything with this degree if med/dental/PA school doesnt work out

Yeah, I can totally understand your hesitation. I heard this program is very difficult (high risk, high reward). If you're in- state, the loan is much closer to 30k than 40k, but that's splitting hairs. Good luck with your future endeavors! Also, did you apply for DO?

I just dont know if this program is worth the money. I've done file reviews with about 6 tmdsas med schools who rejected me this year and 1 which I'm on the waitlist for and they all said I didn't need this program, it stands to hurt me more than help if you dont get at least a 3.7. Avg loan taken out for a year here is like 40k and you can't do anything with this degree if med/dental/PA school doesnt work out

Yeah your stats and others stats who have been accepted are definitely good enough to be admitted without the extra loans. Hopefully you get some waitlist action!

Yeah, I can totally understand your hesitation. I heard this program is very difficult (high risk, high reward). If you're in- state, the loan is much closer to 30k than 40k, but that's splitting hairs. Good luck with your future endeavors! Also, did you apply for DO?

Yeah I applied to TCOM this last round and got rejected, they said I didn't convey enough of why I wanted to be a DO over a MD. Interestingly enough, they were also the only school I talked to that actually suggested I do this program.

It seems that many people who have been accepted into Med Sci have good enough stars to be admitted into med school. I wonder what prevented them from getting in or made them want to do this program.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
It seems that many people who have been accepted into Med Sci have good enough stars to be admitted into med school. I wonder what prevented them from getting in or made them want to do this program.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

That's not really the case for most of the people who are admitted into this program. As for myself, I was interviewed and waitlisted at one school this med school application cycle, but by no means are my stats strong enough for acceptance - yes they were decent, but not good enough. I actually did a file review with one school here in Texas and they told me that this program is perfect for someone who has a lower GPA - especially if you have a low GPA because of a rough start in undergrad. The school told me that if you have an upward trend for your undergrad years and then get into this program and do well, you will be a golden applicant if your MCAT and extracurriculars in order. It's all on a case by case basis, but it seems like many here either have high GPAs and low MCAT, low GPAs and high MCAT, or low to moderate GPA and MCAT. Like others have said here, if the program thinks they can help you get into medical school, they will accept you.

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
I submitted my application close to the end of February. After some time I emailed to get a status update and was told that my application is currently waiting for a final decision. Was anyone else told the same?

I submitted my application close to the end of February. After some time I emailed to get a status update and was told that my application is currently waiting for a final decision. Was anyone else told the same?

I called last week and they couldn't tell me where my app was at in the process. =[

Accepted!

cGPA: 3.29
sGPA: 3.09
Last 60 hours: 3.47
MCAT: 34
Submitted: 2/2, complete in early March.

So relieved! Good luck to everyone still waiting and looking forward to meeting some of you!

is this program better than the texas tech master's ?

I looked at texas tech's program as well but didn't apply because med sci only takes a year as oppposed to 2 years. The nice thing about med sci is after a year you will know whether you are going to medical school or not and thats what I wanted.
Quite honestly though if you are ok with the extra year I would recommend looking into Texas Tech's program. The emphasis on anatomy, physiology, and histology will be very useful in medical school. Med sci has a lot of "extra" courses that you won't really need and just eat up your time.
Another quick note, I would recommend looking into how many students are in that program. Med Sci's class size is rather large so you don't get much one-on-one time with your professors. I was ok with this (I avoid my professors, too shy), but others need that one-on-one time. There are also several students who are the "favorites". These students get away with quite a bit. (skipping pop quizzes, knowing pop quiz dates, getting da inside scoop on what to studyetc). Unless you are one of these students you spend most time studying and learning on your own or with friends. Just something to consider.

Last edited:
That's not really the case for most of the people who are admitted into this program. As for myself, I was interviewed and waitlisted at one school this med school application cycle, but by no means are my stats strong enough for acceptance - yes they were decent, but not good enough. I actually did a file review with one school here in Texas and they told me that this program is perfect for someone who has a lower GPA - especially if you have a low GPA because of a rough start in undergrad. The school told me that if you have an upward trend for your undergrad years and then get into this program and do well, you will be a golden applicant if your MCAT and extracurriculars in order. It's all on a case by case basis, but it seems like many here either have high GPAs and low MCAT, low GPAs and high MCAT, or low to moderate GPA and MCAT. Like others have said here, if the program thinks they can help you get into medical school, they will accept you.

I would agree with this - I also did a few file reviews with schools (not TCOM) who said this program would be perfect for showing that I can handle the academic rigor of medical school (the schools did say you need to get a 3.5 or higher in any post-bacc medical sciences program to show that you can perform well in med school). When I applied to medical school, my GPA, MCAT, extracurriculars, leadership, etc. were competitive; what was holding me back were the prereq classes I did post-bacc at a community college. I was only taking 1-2 classes per semester because I was working 70-75 hours a week, and did not earn all As in those classes (my GPA for the community college prereqs was a 3.3; not terrible, but not awesome). The schools I talked to seemed to evaluate academic performance independently of employment hours, and were surprised when I told them about the employment workload I was doing at the same time as those prereq classes. I thought that workload would be evident, but I know for the next application cycle to mention that elsewhere. Anyway, the schools I talked to said doing well in this program would alleviate that uncertainty about the workload, so that's why I applied. The program seems to be a good fit for those who need more academic proof that they can succeed in med school.

That depends on when you submit your FAFSA - from what I understand, the schools base financial aid on that document, so the earlier you submit it, the earlier they can put together a financial aid packet for you. You can also call or email the financial aid office to find out what you need to do to get that rolling, but the first step is definitely the FAFSA.

That depends on when you submit your FAFSA - from what I understand, the schools base financial aid on that document, so the earlier you submit it, the earlier they can put together a financial aid packet for you. You can also call or email the financial aid office to find out what you need to do to get that rolling, but the first step is definitely the FAFSA.

This is correct. Make sure you have your FAFSA filled out. If it is not already filled out then I would highly encourage you to get it done ASAP. Here is the website to see when the loan disbursements are sent out.

https://www.unthsc.edu/students/financial-aid/

Med Sci falls under the Graduate School of Biomedical Sciences (GSBS) so make sure you look for the dates that correspond to GSBS.

I would agree with this - I also did a few file reviews with schools (not TCOM) who said this program would be perfect for showing that I can handle the academic rigor of medical school (the schools did say you need to get a 3.5 or higher in any post-bacc medical sciences program to show that you can perform well in med school). When I applied to medical school, my GPA, MCAT, extracurriculars, leadership, etc. were competitive; what was holding me back were the prereq classes I did post-bacc at a community college. I was only taking 1-2 classes per semester because I was working 70-75 hours a week, and did not earn all As in those classes (my GPA for the community college prereqs was a 3.3; not terrible, but not awesome). The schools I talked to seemed to evaluate academic performance independently of employment hours, and were surprised when I told them about the employment workload I was doing at the same time as those prereq classes. I thought that workload would be evident, but I know for the next application cycle to mention that elsewhere. Anyway, the schools I talked to said doing well in this program would alleviate that uncertainty about the workload, so that's why I applied. The program seems to be a good fit for those who need more academic proof that they can succeed in med school.

This is exactly my situation. It's hard to improve your GPA or show you can handle the rigors of medical school while working full time. I did a semester long post-bacc in an effort to show that I can do well juggling school and work, but it clearly wasn't enough. Also, adcoms emphasized having something different to show on your reapplication to show that you've improved somehow. This program kills a lot of birds with one stone for me. So it may not be for everyone, but there are people who stand to benefit from this.

is this program better than the texas tech master's ?

I had applied to the program and had interviewed back in 2013. It is much more competitive to get into - they interview 20 out of 300 applicants and accept only 10 in the end. That being the case, you will be interacting with the professors very very closely for the entire two years, which means that they are looking for very specific personality types for their program.

Basic layout of the program has two parts: First year, you study with the med students; Second year, you work with your professor to develop a sort of a TA session/ Teaching Curriculum of your own, eventually working as a teaching personnel for the first year medical students.

I have a close acquaintance who had gone through the program and she told me that 100% of the students get into MD school. According to her tuition is very very very cheap - the acquaintance was actually getting paid to teach the first year med students in her second year, so she was paying barely anything in tuition.

All in all, the program is VERY COMPETITIVE TO GET INTO, VERY SMALL, VERY CHEAP, and will require EXTREMELY CLOSE interaction with the professors and your peers for two years. But IT WILL GET YOU INTO A MEDICAL SCHOOL.

Looking at the Average gpa, which is about 3.4-3.5, and looking at how my and my acquaintance's gpas were around 3.0 - 3.1, they don't mind interviewing and/or accepting people with very low gpa.

Last edited:
In general, what gpa do medical schools want to see from a SMP? Current med sci here and am loving the experience. I'm projecting a 3.66 gpa by the time I graduate, and I'm not sure how to feel about that. The higher the better of course, but is a 3.66 looked down upon? Thanks to anyone who can answer!

How long do you have to decide if you are going to accept or deny your admissions status? I'm just wondering if there is some deadline for people that have already been admitted to decide if they want to do the program. Has anyone got a waitlist email or heard anything?

Hey guys just declined my acceptance. Hope it goes to someone deserving on the waitlist.
Goodluck!

How long do you have to decide if you are going to accept or deny your admissions status? I'm just wondering if there is some deadline for people that have already been admitted to decide if they want to do the program. Has anyone got a waitlist email or heard anything?
I was accepted two weeks ago and my deadline to accept was tomorrow.

Any particular reason you declined you acceptance?

Sent from my 831C using SDN mobile

Got accepted into a Masters in Biomedical Engineering program, and after talking to some admissions directors from medical schools, decided this would help me more in the long run. I'll be working in a lab where the research is tissue engineering/regenerative medicine based.

Got accepted into a Masters in Biomedical Engineering program, and after talking to some admissions directors from medical schools, decided this would help me more in the long run. I'll be working in a lab where the research is tissue engineering/regenerative medicine based.
Congrats! That sounds really cool.

Sent from my 831C using SDN mobile

Do you think there will be more acceptances coming?

I am assuming that we will probably hear something after today since it is the deadline to accept/decline offers of admission. Hopefully we can hear something tomorrow or Friday.

I was told there were last week. Is today the deadline for everyone to accept?

Did they say how many slots were open still? I know last week at some point there were about 70 people on the facebook group. I am unsure of the amount now. Does anyone know if any rejection/waitlist emails have been sent out?

My application states that it has only been received and has not been reviewed. Anybody else in the same boat?

My application states that it has only been received and has not been reviewed. Anybody else in the same boat?

Sadly, I'm in the same boat. Has anyone received anything other than an acceptance?

I was accepted march 30 and i had to accept by april 11, so it's a new date for every wave

I was accepted April 6, and my deadline was April 20th. It looks like they are giving accepted candidates two weeks to decide. As of now, the facebook group has 94 members, and those of us who were on campus for the discovery day last Saturday were told that 230 is the target number of matriculants for this upcoming medsci class. I'm hopeful that some of y'all will hear something today. I suspect they will not send out official rejection or waitlist emails until the class is full, or close to it; I've not heard of anyone getting an outright rejection or waitlist notification yet. Also, I wouldn't worry about the portal status; mine read "your application has been received" the morning of April 6th, which is when I got my acceptance email. The waiting game is the worst. Keep your heads up y'all!

Reactions: 6 users
I am going to attend the medsci 2016-17. looking for a roommate in 2br/2.5bath. $375 per month. send me a message.