UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Called today and was informed that my application will be reviewed asap. I asked if being on the waitlist would be indicated on the application portal and she said it wouldn't. So..... here is my opinion. I'm a student at UNT in Denton and know a few of my peers that have been accepted, some submitted soon before the app closed. If you haven't heard by now, you're probably on the waitlist and will remain there until the day the term begins in May unless someone declines their acceptance sooner and you happen to be the first in the waitlist line. Just my two cents.

Then that would make the program look really bad cause most than half of the people on this post have not had their application reviewed

Members don't see this ad.

Called today and was informed that my application will be reviewed asap. I asked if being on the waitlist would be indicated on the application portal and she said it wouldn't. So..... here is my opinion. I'm a student at UNT in Denton and know a few of my peers that have been accepted, some submitted soon before the app closed. If you haven't heard by now, you're probably on the waitlist and will remain there until the day the term begins in May unless someone declines their acceptance sooner and you happen to be the first in the waitlist line. Just my two cents.
With whom did you speak? Every time I have contacted the admissions office, they would not give any information like that.

Aaaaaand this is how rumors begin. Chill out, y'all. You'll all hear something back soon. It's tough, but you just gotta keep playing the waiting game.

Reactions: 5 users
Members don't see this ad :)

As a graduate of the program, I'm almost 100% certain this is NOT the case. There will be a lot of movement in the next 2 weeks. I believe I received notice of my acceptance around April 15.

Reactions: 4 users
When I applied to this program last year I was wait listed. I'm not sure when my portal status changed, BUT I did get an email saying I was on the wait list. However, this was not until the first week of May 2015.

Reactions: 1 users
I was complete in early February. My post was simple speculation/opinion. Based on the responses I've seen here to my post from former graduates of the program, I think we all just need to be patient. Thanks for the insight.... the waiting game is no fun.

When did you apply and when was your app complete? My app still says received and does not say reviewed, and I was complete at the end of February. I do not know how your friends got reviewed so quickly if they applied right before the deadline. It makes me think that they did go out of order. I figured if they had went through all of the apps, they would already have a Facebook group that has a lot of students, but I am not finding one.

I applied about two months ago. I was simply speculating, think we just need to be patient. Over the next couple weeks I think we'll all know a lot more.

As a graduate of the program, I'm almost 100% certain this is NOT the case. There will be a lot of movement in the next 2 weeks. I believe I received notice of my acceptance around April 15.

This makes me feel much better! Thank you for the insight, I'll continue to anxiously wait.....

Aaaaaand this is how rumors begin. Chill out, y'all. You'll all hear something back soon. It's tough, but you just gotta keep playing the waiting game.

I hear ya, thank you for the input. The waiting game is getting really old! I just have to be patient.

Then that would make the program look really bad cause most than half of the people on this post have not had their application reviewed

As I've gathered from past graduates of the program, my speculation/opinion was not accurate. We'll just have to continue to be patient and wait.

I hear ya, thank you for the input. The waiting game is getting really old! I just have to be patient.

You'll be playing it again when you apply for medical school and again for residency so you better get used to it haha.

Reactions: 2 users
Yeah if you guys think this wait is bad, just wait until you apply to med school. I submitted in in July and didn't hear back about an interview until December. :/

I think the main thing that sucks about the wait for this program is that it literally starts next month and no one knows what's going on lol

Members don't see this ad :)
I think the main thing that sucks about the wait for this program is that it literally starts next month and no one knows what's going on lol

That is true though. Hopefully they're a little faster this round and can give us all a decision soon.

Just received my acceptance! Submitted my app 1/21 & one transcript ended up being received mid February so my app wasn't marked completed until then. My app was marked as "reviewed" a little over a week before getting the email. Good luck to everyone who applied!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Reactions: 1 user
ACCEPTED!!! Submitted app on 2/18

Last edited:
I just got my acceptance email as well guys!! For those who are worried about the status, mine was marked as "your application has been received" this morning. I submitted my application on 2/8.

Accepted!
Submitted 2/13. Always marked as Complete never reviewed.
Stats:
UT Austin,
3,35 cGPA
Last 60 HR:3.62
MCAT; 512 (128,128,128,128)

Reactions: 2 users
here are my stats as well:
TCU grad 2010
3.74 cGPA
MCAT 508
a crap ton of direct patient assessment experience and leadership positions

I'm really excited to meet y'all in person in May!

I just got my acceptance email as well guys!! For those who are worried about the status, mine was marked as "your application has been received" this morning. I submitted my application on 2/8.
Thanks for the info! Congratulations too!!

Sent from my 831C using SDN mobile

Congrats guys!!! Thanks for sharing
Anyone who applied in March heard anything yet?

Submitted my application on Dec. 27th and was processed Jan. 25th. I called admissions today to ask about any update on my app specifically. According to them, my app had gone under initial review but was set aside by the committee for further review once they had a consensus of what the overall application pool was looking like. Does anyone know if a Masters Degree would help my chances?

Submitted my application on Dec. 27th and was processed Jan. 25th. I called admissions today to ask about any update on my app specifically. According to them, my app had gone under initial review but was set aside by the committee for further review once they had a consensus of what the overall application pool was looking like. Does anyone know if a Masters Degree would help my chances?

This is what I've been told as well! All of the people accepted as of now are unanimous decisions by the committee. I'm not sure how far they have gotten (date wise) in the initial review, but I think they have at least reached sometime in February. Just gotta play the waiting game.

Does anyone know if they are reviewing the applications in order of submission date or processed/completion date? My app was submitted end of Feb, but was not processed/complete until March. I am just trying to figure out if they have reviewed my app and placed me in the maybe pile.

So they told you that you are in a "maybe" pile. But that's not a wait list so that's good! Does your online portal say reviewed?

Does anyone know if they are reviewing the applications in order of submission date or processed/completion date? My app was submitted end of Feb, but was not processed/complete until March. I am just trying to figure out if they have reviewed my app and placed me in the maybe pile.

I was told that there's another wave of acceptances coming.

If you look at the dates, it seems that for the most part they're going in order of when the applications were complete. My app wasn't complete until mid March (due to 2 lost transcripts.) I was told yesterday that my application will be in the next wave for consideration. So if you were complete some time in March or mid-late February, I would assume that you'll be hearing from them next.

If you look at the dates, it seems that for the most part they're going in order of when the applications were complete. My app wasn't complete until mid March (due to 2 lost transcripts.) I was told yesterday that my application will be in the next wave for consideration. So if you were complete some time in March or mid-late February, I would assume that you'll be hearing from them next.

From the looks of it, they might not be going in order. Not many people have been accepted yet, and there are applicants who have been accepted who submitted really early and some really late. They might be going through all the applications and putting them in piles like people have been saying on here. Maybe a "no" pile, a "maybe" pile, and a "yes" pile. That's how I see it, but who really knows.

Does anybody know the amount that have been accepted?

Last edited:
Has anyone that has been accepted been asked to join a Facebook group? Please post the link if you have!

I tried calling today and it goes directly to voicemail =[. Are they closed today?

I hope so, Your post made me feel better. I am a re applicant. My undergraduate GPA is 2.96. Since, my last application, I have been taking postbacc classes, and retook my MCAT. If I don't make it this time also, I am not even sure what else I could try.

Please do not post the link to the facebook group here. It's a closed group only for accepted students.

I tried calling today and it goes directly to voicemail =[. Are they closed today?
Maybe they're tired of answering phone calls lol.
All we can do is be patient and wait. We can speculate all we want to make ourselves feel better but nothing will change the review process

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Please do not post the link to the facebook group here. It's a closed group only for accepted students.

I am just curious to know how many people are in the Facebook group already. The office is open today. I called to see if they have received my letter of intent. They said that if my app has already been reviewed that the committee will not see my letter, so I wanted to let anyone know that was planning on sending a letter of intent. They were unable to tell me if my app has been reviewed, but there are batches of apps that have yet to be reviewed.

Last edited:
I am just curious to know how many people are in the Facebook group already.

This probably won't tell you what you want to know. The group, more than likely, is not limited to the current class, but rather attempts to include all of the members of each incoming class in a professional community. (I'm basing this on the fact that TexasMedic15 is not a newly admitted student, and seems likely to be in the group - but I don't want to pry.) As such, knowing the number of members will not inform you of how many people have been admitted. The only cure is patience.

The admissions office won't tell you admission numbers, but just so you know, I've called a few times recently myself, and yes, they are frequently not answering right now. It's probably quite busy around their office. Remember: that's not the MS Medical Sciences admissions office - it's the graduate admissions office in general. They've got a lot more on their plate than our group, and we're probably enough of a job as is.

The fb group is only for incoming/accepted Med Sci students. It is not open for members of other incoming classes. Each school has their own fb group. The reason I mentioned not to post the link is because the administrators have to filter all of the requests to approve only the accepted students. When the link gets posted, hundreds of hopeful and random students request to join the group. It becomes a mess and it happens every year. It's just easier on everybody if only the accepted students request to join. You'll have a couple of former students join the group as well to answer any questions you have.

The fb group is only for incoming/accepted Med Sci students. It is not open for members of other incoming classes. Each school has their own fb group. The reason I mentioned not to post the link is because the administrators have to filter all of the requests to approve only the accepted students. When the link gets posted, hundreds of hopeful and random students request to join the group. It becomes a mess and it happens every year. It's just easier on everybody if only the accepted students request to join. You'll have a couple of former students join the group as well to answer any questions you have.

Right. By 'incoming class', I meant incoming med. sci. students, not incoming students to UNTHSC or TCOM as a whole.

I am just curious to know how many people are in the Facebook group already. The office is open today. I called to see if they have received my letter of intent. They said that if my app has already been reviewed that the committee will not see my letter, so I wanted to let anyone know that was planning on sending a letter of intent. They were unable to tell me if my app has been reviewed, but there are batches of apps that have yet to be reviewed.

If it helps any, there are 48 members in the group currently; it looks like there are a few admins/staff from GSBS, so perhaps 45 actual students are in it. I would guess not everyone who has been accepted has joined it yet, but it's likely that there are 100-150 spots still to be filled if the class size is 200. Those would be my estimations.

If it helps any, there are 48 members in the group currently; it looks like there are a few admins/staff from GSBS, so perhaps 45 actual students are in it. I would guess not everyone who has been accepted has joined it yet, but it's likely that there are 100-150 spots still to be filled if the class size is 200. Those would be my estimations.

Thank you for the info! This is a relief!

I am currently in the facebook group and it says that it is for MED S, CRM, and BIO T.... so does this mean that it is not just medsci students?

Hoping we get more good news this Wednesday!

I am currently in the facebook group and it says that it is for MED S, CRM, and BIO T.... so does this mean that it is not just medsci students?

Clinical Research Management (CRM) and Biotechnology (BIOT) are the other specialized masters programs. There's only about 5 or 6 of them. They technically aren't Med Sci students, but since there aren't many of them and since they take many of the same classes as y'all, they pretty much get lumped in to the same group.

Hello everyone! Current Med Sci graduating in May. I've never had an SDN account (I like to focus on academics), but schools about completed so if anyone has any questions about the program I can give my point of view! Good Luck applying!