UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2016-2017

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
I emailed Friday and she said that my application was under a second review and that I should know soon.

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile

Members don't see this ad :)
Did you speak with the office of graduate admissions or someone specifically associated with the MedSci admissions? thanks
Just the graduate admissions people. I'm not sure you can get into contact with the people directly associated med sci.

Reactions: 1 user
I don't know if it is the way I ask or what. But when I call the graduate admissions people, they always tell me to just keep checking the online website without any specifics about my status or whether or not my application has even been reviewed. I am glad you guys are updating us on what is going on.

Reactions: 2 users
Do any current/past students know how the MCAT prep course works for students (like me) who applied to MedSci with intentions of attending PA school? Do we still have to take the course?

I didn't hear anything yet either. Does anyone know how many people are currently in the Facebook group?

Members don't see this ad :)
Do any current/past students know how the MCAT prep course works for students (like me) who applied to MedSci with intentions of attending PA school? Do we still have to take the course?

Lol. No.

Hey everyone,

I've kept up with this thread and last years, and they both have been a good source of info. Thanks for sharing everyone.
Just got my acceptance email today! It sure feels good after all the waiting.
My stats:
3.6 cGPA, 3.5 sGPA, MCAT: 22, 26 2nd try
last 60 hours: 3.8

Submitted app: 2/18 , said received until this morning
I was losing hope and was about to go with a plan B. Don't lose hope guys and goodluck to all of you kind people!

Reactions: 3 users
I wonder if anyone has been accepted this round with a cGPA of 3.0 or below?

Is anyone currently/will be/was an out of state student? Questions because OOS tuition is more than double...

Guys, any news? I've heard more emails went out today.

How does the facebook group look? Can someone let us know how many people are currently in it?
Thanks a bunch!

Accepted!

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Hello, how is the grading like? Is their a curve so that only a certain number of students can get A's? Thank you so much

Hello, how is the grading like? Is their a curve so that only a certain number of students can get A's? Thank you so much

Don't expect to see any curves. You get what you earn. An 89.5 and above is an A. 89.4 is a B.

Don't expect to see any curves. You get what you earn. An 89.5 and above is an A. 89.4 is a B.

I know at the Touro program, they curve it to a B. So if everyone does well, they lower your grade, so some students have to do poorly. Do they do the same thing at UNT?

I know at the Touro program, they curve it to a B. So if everyone does well, they lower your grade, so some students have to do poorly. Do they do the same thing at UNT?

"Don't expect to see any curves. You get what you earn. An 89.5 and above is an A. 89.4 is a B."

Tl;dr: no.

"Don't expect to see any curves. You get what you earn. An 89.5 and above is an A. 89.4 is a B."

Tl;dr: no.

Ok thank you. I got into another master's program at Touro NY, and that guarantees admission into their DO school if you get a 3.5. I think over half their students get that. Do you think that would be better than the UNT one?

I know that a lot of smart people go into the UNT one. The Touro one, I think, has a lot weaker students. NY has a lot of SMP and the Touro one belongs to the lowest school. for example, a lot of people in the UNT go to Southwestern, A&M, Baylor, etc. By contrast, everyone in the Touro one goes to Touro. So, woulden't the Touro one be easier? Thank you so much

Ok thank you. I got into another master's program at Touro NY, and that guarantees admission into their DO school if you get a 3.5. I think over half their students get that. Do you think that would be better than the UNT one?

I know that a lot of smart people go into the UNT one. The Touro one, I think, has a lot weaker students. NY has a lot of SMP and the Touro one belongs to the lowest school. for example, a lot of people in the UNT go to Southwestern, A&M, Baylor, etc. By contrast, everyone in the Touro one goes to Touro. So, woulden't the Touro one be easier? Thank you so much

I don't know anything about that other program, but knowing what I know now I would definitely go to the UNT program. Just because half their students get a 3.5 doesn't mean that you will as well. It sounds like you're trying to compare a program that might guarantee you acceptance to one school over a program that could get you an acceptance to many many other schools. If you do well in Med Sci then many doors will open to you. Plus most people have never even heard of Touro or their master's program. The Med Sci program has been around for the past twenty or something years. All the schools in Texas know about it and a ton of MD/DO schools out of state know about it.

I don't know anything about that other program, but knowing what I know now I would definitely go to the UNT program. Just because half their students get a 3.5 doesn't mean that you will as well. It sounds like you're trying to compare a program that might guarantee you acceptance to one school over a program that could get you an acceptance to many many other schools. If you do well in Med Sci then many doors will open to you. Plus most people have never even heard of Touro or their master's program. The Med Sci program has been around for the past twenty or something years. All the schools in Texas know about it and a ton of MD/DO schools out of state know about it.

Thanks a lot for your advice.

I know the Touro people know about the MedSci as well. I looked at the stats however, and they are quite bleak for medSci. Only 45% of people who start the medsci program go on to med school (25% drop out, from those 60% get in). but for this touro one, I have read on this forum that 45 out of the 60 who start get in. So that is a lot better really.

I have a 515 mcat, good shadow/volunteer/research, all I need now is a higher GPA. But I am thinking: What if I get, say, a 3.5 in the medSci? That would make it quite difficult to get into medical school. And then med school will be closed for me. And I would be saying, 'At Touro I'd get in.'

But if I do well in medSci, I am quite certain that I will get into medical school. So its a really hard choice.
I am thinking, I'll go to Touro, and worse comes to worst, I can drop out and say I got sick in the cold. I am from Texas, and I can say, 'I got pneumonia, I didn't like the cold, etc'. And then I can get into the med sci program.

But I can't do the opposite. Like if I screw up med sci, I really have no good excuse.

Does this sound like good thinking? Thank you so much

Cause, for the med sci, you kind of have to get a 3.7 or above to stand out and that is really hard. for this one, just 3.5 and your in. Thank you so much

I got accepted on April 28th!
My GPA is a 3.49, my sGPA is a 3.33, last 60 hours was a 3.69, and my mcat was a 23!

I wish all of you guys waiting the best!! Hope you guys hear great news very soon!

+1

As for the 45% of MedScis who go on to med school, or rather the 55% who don't, the MedSci program isn't the end-all-be-all, and you have to keep in mind individual circumstances. Some individuals may have had weak points in their application that had nothing to do with MedSci, others may not have applied broadly enough, etc. A good number also wait until they have completed the program to apply for medical school.

Thanks a lot for your advice.

I know the Touro people know about the MedSci as well. I looked at the stats however, and they are quite bleak for medSci. Only 45% of people who start the medsci program go on to med school (25% drop out, from those 60% get in). but for this touro one, I have read on this forum that 45 out of the 60 who start get in. So that is a lot better really.

I have a 515 mcat, good shadow/volunteer/research, all I need now is a higher GPA. But I am thinking: What if I get, say, a 3.5 in the medSci? That would make it quite difficult to get into medical school. And then med school will be closed for me. And I would be saying, 'At Touro I'd get in.'

But if I do well in medSci, I am quite certain that I will get into medical school. So its a really hard choice.
I am thinking, I'll go to Touro, and worse comes to worst, I can drop out and say I got sick in the cold. I am from Texas, and I can say, 'I got pneumonia, I didn't like the cold, etc'. And then I can get into the med sci program.

But I can't do the opposite. Like if I screw up med sci, I really have no good excuse.

Does this sound like good thinking? Thank you so much

1) I'm not sure where you got that 45% from but it's actually incorrect. At LEAST 50% of our current class will be attending professional school somewhere in the next few months.

2) Why are you so sure that you can make a 3.5 in the Touro program but not a 3.7 at the UNT program? If you're doing an SMP then you're going to go for the highest GPA possible regardless, right? Isn't it supposed to be indicative of how well you can handle yourself at a medical school? You don't think you're capable of getting more A's than B's on average?

3) Dropping out of an SMP is completely stupid if you're trying to make it into a med school somewhere. That doesn't get erased off your academic record. It tarnishes your application. And explaining yourself by saying that you couldn't handle the weather is just as ludicrous sounding to be honest. It's not a good excuse. It's a completely and absolutely terrible excuse. That's like me saying I wasn't able to get off of my couch and go for a run because I felt too fat and lazy.

4) I wouldn't automatically assume that you'd get accepted into the Med Sci program if you apply for it next year. Even people with high stats get rejected. It's just like applying for med school. Nothing is a guarantee.

Want my opinion again? Don't even give that other program a second thought. You'd be committing yourself to a "chance" at getting into just ONE school in particular. IF you have already been accepted into the Med Sci program at UNTHSC then take it. If you're committed to school and medicine then you'll be very successful here. Many doors will open for you. I've seen it happen for the past three classes of Med Sci students.

Reactions: 2 users
1) I'm not sure where you got that 45% from but it's actually incorrect. At LEAST 50% of our current class will be attending professional school somewhere in the next few months.

2) Why are you so sure that you can make a 3.5 in the Touro program but not a 3.7 at the UNT program? If you're doing an SMP then you're going to go for the highest GPA possible regardless, right? Isn't it supposed to be indicative of how well you can handle yourself at a medical school? You don't think you're capable of getting more A's than B's on average?

3) Dropping out of an SMP is completely stupid if you're trying to make it into a med school somewhere. That doesn't get erased off your academic record. It tarnishes your application. And explaining yourself by saying that you couldn't handle the weather is just as ludicrous sounding to be honest. It's not a good excuse. It's a completely and absolutely terrible excuse. That's like me saying I wasn't able to get off of my couch and go for a run because I felt too fat and lazy.

4) I wouldn't automatically assume that you'd get accepted into the Med Sci program if you apply for it next year. Even people with high stats get rejected. It's just like applying for med school. Nothing is a guarantee.

Want my opinion again? Don't even give that other program a second thought. You'd be committing yourself to a "chance" at getting into just ONE school in particular. IF you have already been accepted into the Med Sci program at UNTHSC then take it. If you're committed to school and medicine then you'll be very successful here. Many doors will open for you. I've seen it happen for the past three classes of Med Sci students.

Thanks a lot for that post. It was extremely helpful. For the MedSci, 75% graduate, and out of those, 60% get into med school--according to the website. So that comes to about 45%.

Now, I looked at the MedSci courses, and I am currently taking a lot them. I'm currently taking Histology, Mol Bio, Immunology. I really feel I can do well in them in medSci. I'll talk to some more people and decide, thank you again

Also my main got is to get into medical school. So, if I get a 3.7 at UNT, isn't that the same as a 3.5 at Touro? And if I can't get a 3.5 at Touro, I wouldn't be able to get a 3.7 at UNT, right?

for those of you who are accepted of late, what was your portal saying before being accepted?

Also my main got is to get into medical school. So, if I get a 3.7 at UNT, isn't that the same as a 3.5 at Touro? And if I can't get a 3.5 at Touro, I wouldn't be able to get a 3.7 at UNT, right?

I think you are over-analyzing the statistics, numbers, and minute GPA differences. I've talked to quite a few texas medical schools about the MedSci program at UNTHSC, and all of them said you need a 3.5 or higher in the program for it to reflect highly of your academic prowess and ability to handle medical school curriculum. So it seems whichever program you end up choosing, you have to make at least a 3.5 for medical school to be a reality. Also, I briefly looked at the touro website; according to the site, if you get a 3.5 or higher, it says you MAY qualify for their DO program. Code word here is MAY. It doesn't look like their website is guaranteeing admission if you do well in the program. Perhaps the forums say differently, but I think it would be wise to go according to what the school's page says as far as admission decisions are concerned, rather than the gossip of applicants and students.

Another item to consider: where do you ultimately want to go to medical school? All of the texas schools know the UNT program, but they don't all necessarily know the Touro program. By the same token, if you want to go to medical school in new York, they may not know the MedSci program as well, but might have favorable opinions of the touro program.

Another item to consider is cost. It sounds like you already live in Texas, right? If you're a texas resident, the tuition cost at UNT is much more inexpensive than Touro's tuition. The estimated total cost of attendance (tuition, fees, room and board, etc.) for UNT is in the neighborhood of 34K, and for touro, it's 51K. Coming from someone who is already paying back undergraduate student loans, that 17K makes a difference.

I agree with TexasMedic15 on one of his points - dropping out is ridiculous and terrible blemish on your medical school application, regardless of which program you pick. Whichever program you choose, commit to it and perform. There are a whole lot of people who would have gladly taken your spot.

Will you get a good education at both schools? Most likely. I think where you want your next steps to be would determine what route you take. If you want more medical school options and especially if you want to matriculate in Texas, UNT would be the better option in my opinion. If you want to go to Touro, or to a NY medical school, touro would be the best choice. Either way, you have to do well in whichever program you choose to be competitive.

Reactions: 1 users
for those of you who are accepted of late, what was your portal saying before being accepted?
hey there! mine said my app was received and completed before i was accepted

It said that my application was complete

Sent from my iPhone using SDN mobile app

Mine also said complete the day of. If I were in your position I would not worry about the portal and just wait until you get an email. I checked my portal at 5 the day of and it said complete and then I got an email at 5:30 saying that I got in. Plus constantly checking your portal just increases your anxiety levels or at least it did for me.

Reactions: 4 users
I think you are over-analyzing the statistics, numbers, and minute GPA differences. I've talked to quite a few texas medical schools about the MedSci program at UNTHSC, and all of them said you need a 3.5 or higher in the program for it to reflect highly of your academic prowess and ability to handle medical school curriculum. So it seems whichever program you end up choosing, you have to make at least a 3.5 for medical school to be a reality. Also, I briefly looked at the touro website; according to the site, if you get a 3.5 or higher, it says you MAY qualify for their DO program. Code word here is MAY. It doesn't look like their website is guaranteeing admission if you do well in the program. Perhaps the forums say differently, but I think it would be wise to go according to what the school's page says as far as admission decisions are concerned, rather than the gossip of applicants and students.

Another item to consider: where do you ultimately want to go to medical school? All of the texas schools know the UNT program, but they don't all necessarily know the Touro program. By the same token, if you want to go to medical school in new York, they may not know the MedSci program as well, but might have favorable opinions of the touro program.

Another item to consider is cost. It sounds like you already live in Texas, right? If you're a texas resident, the tuition cost at UNT is much more inexpensive than Touro's tuition. The estimated total cost of attendance (tuition, fees, room and board, etc.) for UNT is in the neighborhood of 34K, and for touro, it's 51K. Coming from someone who is already paying back undergraduate student loans, that 17K makes a difference.

I agree with TexasMedic15 on one of his points - dropping out is ridiculous and terrible blemish on your medical school application, regardless of which program you pick. Whichever program you choose, commit to it and perform. There are a whole lot of people who would have gladly taken your spot.

Will you get a good education at both schools? Most likely. I think where you want your next steps to be would determine what route you take. If you want more medical school options and especially if you want to matriculate in Texas, UNT would be the better option in my opinion. If you want to go to Touro, or to a NY medical school, touro would be the best choice. Either way, you have to do well in whichever program you choose to be competitive.

Thanks a lot! The Touro NY has guarantee admission, it says in the student handbook. I think the UNT will be easier for me as I am taking many of the same subjects this semester. I'm leaning towards the UNT one.

Last edited:
Thanks a lot! The Touro NY has guarantee admission, it says in the student handbook. I think the UNT will be easier for me as I am taking many of the same subjects this semester. I'm leaning towards the UNT one.
Furthermore, if you were able to score a 515 on the MCAT, you should definitely be able to do well in the program (granted you put in the work)!

Just got an email saying I've been wait listed :lame: