UNTHSC M.S. in Medical Sciences (Texas)-SMP 2023

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Thanks for those who replied! Is this the first year they are doing the 5 semester option? I would honestly rather do the one year option but I have some chronic health issues and possible upcoming surgery so thats why I am wary of starting full time. Can you just forward you application on for all cohorts? I just dont think I will know exactly what I will be able to handle unti like July and by then all apps will be closed ya know

Members don't see this ad.

Thanks for those who replied! Is this the first year they are doing the 5 semester option? I would honestly rather do the one year option but I have some chronic health issues and possible upcoming surgery so thats why I am wary of starting full time. Can you just forward you application on for all cohorts? I just dont think I will know exactly what I will be able to handle unti like July and by then all apps will be closed ya know
Hey! I agree with also rather doing the one year option but I plan to do the 5 semester option instead. It works best with my full time job as a patient care assistant in the post-anesthesia care unit at the hospital I work at. I LOVE my job and I also get the hands on/shadow experience through here so it kills many birds with one stone lol. Lots of opportunities for growth and LORs here as well, I hope working and doing this program benefits me more than it will stress me out.
Just by looking at the curriculum, we'll be having 3-4ish courses per semester compared to having 5+ courses per semester, which I feel will personally be more beneficial to me even if it takes me longer to complete the program. I don't believe you can forward your application, I had submitted my college transcript for the 1 year online option and tried to forward that to the 5 semester option and it did not let me, said it I had to resubmit it to the 5 semester application along with all my information I already had for my application.
I think it is the first year they are doing the 5 semester option, I wish someone could give feedback to it. I have not submitted my application just yet, I keep trying to "perfect" my personal statement. Any tips? Everything else is just about done so I am stuck between submitting it for the early deadline or just the regular one.

I hope to hear back from other people joining the 5 semester program!! :)

they started sending scholarships for summer out today if you applied by the deadline! just got an email with one ◡̈

enrollment total is at 60
I'm applying to the 5 semester program, do they send out scholarships as you are eligible for it or do you have to apply somewhere extra for one? is anyone else applying to the 5 semester program and has heard back yet?

Members don't see this ad :)
I'm applying to the 5 semester program, do they send out scholarships as you are eligible for it or do you have to apply somewhere extra for one? is anyone else applying to the 5 semester program and has heard back yet?
you apply on a specific scholarship website

okay which website? sorry I'm first gen. I am figuring everything out on my own as I go, so anything helps.
you can go to financial aid in your my.hsc portal then scholarships should be in the menu if i’m remembering properly!

Found this program recently and I'm working on my application for the online cohort (horrible timing I know). UNT says they're holistic in their reviews, but does anyone know what they're looking for in terms of stats?

For reference, my cGPA is a 3.4 and my MCAT is a 512.
My ECs could be better, but I do have strong LORs. Also, I'm not the best at writing.

Found this program recently and I'm working on my application for the online cohort (horrible timing I know). UNT says they're holistic in their reviews, but does anyone know what they're looking for in terms of stats?

For reference, my cGPA is a 3.4 and my MCAT is a 512.
My ECs could be better, but I do have strong LORs. Also, I'm not the best at writing.
I had a 3.3 and 504 but good ECs!

would it be too late to apply? I am applying as a backup in case I do not hear back from these 2 schools in CA.

I looked for stats on the website but couldn't find any for the program. Can anyone share some stat minimums to apply? I am applying as OOS

would it be too late to apply? I am applying as a backup in case I do not hear back from these 2 schools in CA.

I looked for stats on the website but couldn't find any for the program. Can anyone share some stat minimums to apply? I am applying as OOS
you can still apply for the online program, in person is closed

Reactions: 1 user
you can still apply for the online program, in person is closed
Yea, the online program is the one I'm applying to. Based on the PostBacc website, it was the only one for this campus that was still open. Priority deadline is due tomorrow I believe.

Thanks!

My application for online got moved to “under review” today.

Members don't see this ad :)
Hiya! I know a lot of people recommend doing the cohort in person program for the MMS and I'd really prefer doing that even working while full time in school (used to it), but I was curious if anyone who what the course load was like during the semester. Like, is it usually seen as a 8am-5pm block all-day-every-day schedule or is it pretty flexible? Graduating this fall from undergrad so looking at all my options since I have a free semester to decide, haha!

Hiya! I know a lot of people recommend doing the cohort in person program for the MMS and I'd really prefer doing that even working while full time in school (used to it), but I was curious if anyone who what the course load was like during the semester. Like, is it usually seen as a 8am-5pm block all-day-every-day schedule or is it pretty flexible? Graduating this fall from undergrad so looking at all my options since I have a free semester to decide, haha!
I got accepted to the in person but opted for the online because of the lack of flexibility.

Has anyone heard of the structure of the online program? When i was reading through previous years threads they said its mostly busy work, im a bit worried about it now

didn’t get an email but my portal shows an acceptance to the online! make sure to check

Does anyone know what the schedule is like for online?
Are deadlines still Sundays at midnight? I'm trying to adjust my work schedule but have no idea what their 100% online program is like.

Also has anyone else received an acceptance letter for those starting this fall? Congratulations to those who did! :giggle:

How long did yall make your essay questions? I am tying up loose ends because I know I need to submit ASAP! The word limit is 4000 characters/about 500 words. How long were most of yalls? I would especially love to hear from people have already heard back one way or another. Thanks!!

How long did yall make your essay questions? I am tying up loose ends because I know I need to submit ASAP! The word limit is 4000 characters/about 500 words. How long were most of yalls? I would especially love to hear from people have already heard back one way or another. Thanks!!
most of mine for both online and in person were way shorter other than the one that’s similar to the personal statement

most of mine for both online and in person were way shorter other than the one that’s similar to the personal statement
Thanks! that is how mine is right now but wanted to hear from someone else before submitting to be sure

Been lurking for a bit and decided to make a post!
Whats up everyone, I applied with a 3.25cGPA and a 2.92sGPA. I have taken the MCAT and made a 495, but did not include that test score bc I did not think it would help. I feel like I had strong essays and a 4.0 this past semester in 17 hours of all upper division sciences I think should help display I'm academically capable as well. Currently doing 16 hours this summer to graduate and extra classes just raise that sGPA to a 3.0 with all A's, but unfortunately the admissions office cannot see that :(. Got moved to review on the 21st and still waiting to hear back. I know I am on the lower end of stats, but thats kinda what this SMP is supposed to help me improve, right? Anyways, would love to hear about other people's process and from people who are also waiting to hear back about the online cohort currently!

Does anyone know what the schedule is like for online?
Are deadlines still Sundays at midnight? I'm trying to adjust my work schedule but have no idea what their 100% online program is like.

Also has anyone else received an acceptance letter for those starting this fall? Congratulations to those who did! :giggle:
I had called and talked to an admissions officer and they told me that it was completely asynchronous. Not sure about when deadlines are but no scheduled class meeting times from what I gathered! Hope this is helpful :)

Been lurking for a bit and decided to make a post!
Whats up everyone, I applied with a 3.25cGPA and a 2.92sGPA. I have taken the MCAT and made a 495, but did not include that test score bc I did not think it would help. I feel like I had strong essays and a 4.0 this past semester in 17 hours of all upper division sciences I think should help display I'm academically capable as well. Currently doing 16 hours this summer to graduate and extra classes just raise that sGPA to a 3.0 with all A's, but unfortunately the admissions office cannot see that :(. Got moved to review on the 21st and still waiting to hear back. I know I am on the lower end of stats, but thats kinda what this SMP is supposed to help me improve, right? Anyways, would love to hear about other people's process and from people who are also waiting to hear back about the online cohort currently!
i got in to both online and in person with a similar cGPA and no upward trend ◡̈ i do think my extracurriculars helped me a lot

My application got moved to "under review" this morning. I have high hopes! 🤞💗

My application got moved to "under review" this morning. I have high hopes! 🤞💗
Okay am I tripping or was there something there that was similar before "Under Review"? Because I saw that today too and thought it was different but for the life of me can't remember what the one before was and don't know if I have tricked myself into thinking I am a step closer or not :rofl:

Okay am I tripping or was there something there that was similar before "Under Review"? Because I saw that today too and thought it was different but for the life of me can't remember what the one before was and don't know if I have tricked myself into thinking I am a step closer or not :rofl:
I'm not sure tbh, but if you click on the "i" it'll say different things. This morning it had a paragraph basically saying they received all my stuff and my application is now under review and just an hour ago it just says "Hello! your application is currently under committee review!" so other than that, I'm not too sure what changes lol

for now, let's just all be patient for our acceptance letters! speaking it into existence. :biglove:

If anyone was wondering, the deadline has extended to July 28th, with supporting documents being due August 1st! Both their website and PostbacCAS has been updated to reflect this!

Hi everyone! I'm currently in the online program and will graduate at the end of the summer. Feel free to ask me any questions! Best of luck to those that are applying!

• Care
I'm not sure tbh, but if you click on the "i" it'll say different things. This morning it had a paragraph basically saying they received all my stuff and my application is now under review and just an hour ago it just says "Hello! your application is currently under committee review!" so other than that, I'm not too sure what changes lol

for now, let's just all be patient for our acceptance letters! speaking it into existence. :biglove:
I applied last year and noticed the same thing! Unfortunately, I still didn't get an official answer until a few weeks later. They had a lot of delays my year though, so maybe you'll hear back soon!

• Care
Hi everyone! I'm currently in the online program and will graduate at the end of the summer. Feel free to ask me any questions! Best of luck to those that are applying!
Hey! Would love to hear your experience with it and kinda what to expect upon acceptance! I’m planning on trying to work 36 hours (3 12 hour shifts) at a hospital bc I do need clinical experience over this next year. Do you think this is feasible?

Reactions: 1 users
Hey! Would love to hear your experience with it and kinda what to expect upon acceptance! I’m planning on trying to work 36 hours (3 12 hour shifts) at a hospital bc I do need clinical experience over this next year. Do you think this is feasible?
I would love to hear about that too! I'll be doing 4 10s at a hospital as well. I have to switch to working weekends and 2 days out of the week since weekends are superrrrrrr slow here compared to a weekday. Also my normal weekday hours are 10am-8:30pm and the weekend shifts are 6:30am-5pm, so I just feel like weekends would suit me more while being in school. I've been working here since Oct but want to keep this job for professional and personal growth + they offer tuition reimbursement which is the one and only way I'll be paying for this program so that's a plus too. Anyone know of any scholarships I can apply to? maybe I missed the deadlines but I barely got access to my.hsc portal like a week ago and there are no scholarship offers there.
I know this program is nothing like undergrad(I applied for the 5 semester online option) but I just want to be as prepared as I can be balancing school and work. any tips? literally any insight about the program is helpful!! :giggle:
Biochem is what I'm a little terrified about since my professor is college was not the best teacher and just gave everyone a C as long as they showed up for all the exams so I personally feel like I did not learn much so I've been reviewing material for the past 2ish weeks.

Thank you for helping us out and congratulations @iafuturemed !! you're almost done!! 🥳 :claps:

Last edited:
I would love to hear about that too! I'll be doing 4 10s at a hospital as well. I have to switch to working weekends and 2 days out of the week since weekends are superrrrrrr slow here compared to a weekday. Also my normal weekday hours are 10am-8:30pm and the weekend shifts are 6:30am-5pm, so I just feel like weekends would suit me more while being in school. I've been working here since Oct but want to keep this job for professional and personal growth + they offer tuition reimbursement which is the one and only way I'll be paying for this program so that's a plus too. Anyone know of any scholarships I can apply to? maybe I missed the deadlines but I barely got access to my.hsc portal like a week ago and there are no scholarship offers there.
I know this program is nothing like undergrad(I applied for the 5 semester online option) but I just want to be as prepared as I can be balancing school and work. any tips? literally any insight about the program is helpful!! :giggle:
Biochem is what I'm a little terrified about since my professor is college was not the best teacher and just gave everyone a C as long as they showed up for all the exams so I personally feel like I did not learn much so I've been reviewing material for the past 2ish weeks.

Thank you for helping us out and congratulations @iafuturemed !! you're almost done!! 🥳 :claps:
Honestly, I really don't think it's too feasible to work while you're in the program unless you're in the 5-semester option. I think they specifically added the option because many students also had this issue and wanted more flexibility. I tried to keep my scribing job for at least one shift per week, but I got really overwhelmed. However, I also enrolled in this program as a way to prove myself academically and make up for how I performed in undergrad, so I was also under a lot of pressure and felt like it was better for my mental health to just wait. There were still some students though who worked throughout the program and made it work I think, I just don't know them personally or how the actual courses ended up going for them. I think you could maybe pick up some low-commitment shadowing, especially after biochem ends because it's only the first couple of weeks. By then you'll get the hang of things and figure out how to navigate the overload of content. I think its completely do-able for the 5-semester option though. Just try to get through the lectures once and then after that anki will be your best friend.

Biochem might hit you kinda hard because it's the first class and a lot of students don't expect things to get started right away, but I didn't think the actual content itself was too difficult. It was definitely A LOT, especially considering it was the first week, but they really try to mirror med school curriculum. As they say, it's like trying to drink from a fire hydrant. I would recommend brushing up on the content a little earlier if you can.

My favorite part of the program is the professors. My undergrad was full of professors who seemed to hate their jobs and then let it out on their students. This program was the first time I was actually told that I have potential and thus ended up doing significantly better in all my classes. Go to all the office hours (also great for LORs but you have to ask early lol) and really take advantage of these immensely knowledgeable teachers that genuinely want you to reach your full potential and do well.

I hope this helped! Feel free to ask any other questions and I'd be more than happy to help. Best of luck everyone! :)

Honestly, I really don't think it's too feasible to work while you're in the program unless you're in the 5-semester option. I think they specifically added the option because many students also had this issue and wanted more flexibility. I tried to keep my scribing job for at least one shift per week, but I got really overwhelmed. However, I also enrolled in this program as a way to prove myself academically and make up for how I performed in undergrad, so I was also under a lot of pressure and felt like it was better for my mental health to just wait. There were still some students though who worked throughout the program and made it work I think, I just don't know them personally or how the actual courses ended up going for them. I think you could maybe pick up some low-commitment shadowing, especially after biochem ends because it's only the first couple of weeks. By then you'll get the hang of things and figure out how to navigate the overload of content. I think its completely do-able for the 5-semester option though. Just try to get through the lectures once and then after that anki will be your best friend.

Biochem might hit you kinda hard because it's the first class and a lot of students don't expect things to get started right away, but I didn't think the actual content itself was too difficult. It was definitely A LOT, especially considering it was the first week, but they really try to mirror med school curriculum. As they say, it's like trying to drink from a fire hydrant. I would recommend brushing up on the content a little earlier if you can.

My favorite part of the program is the professors. My undergrad was full of professors who seemed to hate their jobs and then let it out on their students. This program was the first time I was actually told that I have potential and thus ended up doing significantly better in all my classes. Go to all the office hours (also great for LORs but you have to ask early lol) and really take advantage of these immensely knowledgeable teachers that genuinely want you to reach your full potential and do well.

I hope this helped! Feel free to ask any other questions and I'd be more than happy to help. Best of luck everyone! :)
Any advice for trying to gather more clinical experience during this program and also funds to survive if not working? I know this whole process is a marathon and not a sprint, but ideally would like to continue gathering clinical experience as it’s also a weaker area in my application and I would like to be ready to apply by next year. Thanks in advance :)

Any advice for trying to gather more clinical experience during this program and also funds to survive if not working? I know this whole process is a marathon and not a sprint, but ideally would like to continue gathering clinical experience as it’s also a weaker area in my application and I would like to be ready to apply by next year. Thanks in advance :)
I think the best thing to do is start up right after biochemistry ends. Many students end up having to retake it in the summer because it's such a shock to begin with. After that start with once a week, and if you feel like you can handle it then increase more as you feel more comfortable. There's a lot of debate over which semester is harder lol, but I think it depends on your learning style/preference. I know a lot of people waited till the second semester to get their shadowing hours because they felt like the courses were easier.

Have you taken your MCAT yet? You could also do low commitment during the semester and rack up more during winter break. Unless you wanna take a risk and take the MCAT at the end of winter break.

There's also a CRM program that you can apply to do during your gap year. I think they prefer Med Sci students and its a good way to show you have projected hours.

I think the best thing to do is start up right after biochemistry ends. Many students end up having to retake it in the summer because it's such a shock to begin with. After that start with once a week, and if you feel like you can handle it then increase more as you feel more comfortable. There's a lot of debate over which semester is harder lol, but I think it depends on your learning style/preference. I know a lot of people waited till the second semester to get their shadowing hours because they felt like the courses were easier.

Have you taken your MCAT yet? You could also do low commitment during the semester and rack up more during winter break. Unless you wanna take a risk and take the MCAT at the end of winter break.

There's also a CRM program that you can apply to do during your gap year. I think they prefer Med Sci students and its a good way to show you have projected hours.
Thanks! I have taken my MCAT, but will definitely need to retake after the MCAT prep course offered by them. Quick question, what is a CRM program?

Thank you! 💐
I'm glad you said that lol I really am trying to mentally prepare myself for the workload. I've been reviewing some Biochem material so I'm hoping with the books and lectures I can be successful in the course. I learn fairly quickly If i just apply myself and I'm actually taught. I love that this program has professors who care, it means so much to me and my education to be uplifted instead of being told otherwise.
Are there certain Anki study sets that you found useful that you can link me to? You can PM me if you'd like :)

Also, I have not taken the MCAT yet and was actual plan to take it by the end of the year as well as apply to next year's medical school cycle in the summer. Any advice? Do I HAVE to do their MCAT prep course? I know that course is in the summer after applications open in June so I'm worried about that.

What is the course work like? Just quizzes and exams? I'm comparing it to undergrad online classes but I've also heard its a lot more of just discussion post and exams. I'll be using my desktop computer and it doesn't have a web camera, is it necessary to buy one?

lastly(until more questions pop up in my head lol) are you from dallas? only asking since you're doing the online program, are there any study spots you recommend? When I was in undergrad I used to rent out a study room and stay there all day but I cant do that anymore so I wanted to find some nice quiet spots here in Dallas, lmk if yall know of any places please :)

Thanks! I have taken my MCAT, but will definitely need to retake after the MCAT prep course offered by them. Quick question, what is a CRM program?
CRM program is clinical research management. From my understanding, you apply to work with specific professors based on their research throughout your gap year.

Thank you! 💐
I'm glad you said that lol I really am trying to mentally prepare myself for the workload. I've been reviewing some Biochem material so I'm hoping with the books and lectures I can be successful in the course. I learn fairly quickly If i just apply myself and I'm actually taught. I love that this program has professors who care, it means so much to me and my education to be uplifted instead of being told otherwise.
Are there certain Anki study sets that you found useful that you can link me to? You can PM me if you'd like :)

Also, I have not taken the MCAT yet and was actual plan to take it by the end of the year as well as apply to next year's medical school cycle in the summer. Any advice? Do I HAVE to do their MCAT prep course? I know that course is in the summer after applications open in June so I'm worried about that.

What is the course work like? Just quizzes and exams? I'm comparing it to undergrad online classes but I've also heard its a lot more of just discussion post and exams. I'll be using my desktop computer and it doesn't have a web camera, is it necessary to buy one?

lastly(until more questions pop up in my head lol) are you from dallas? only asking since you're doing the online program, are there any study spots you recommend? When I was in undergrad I used to rent out a study room and stay there all day but I cant do that anymore so I wanted to find some nice quiet spots here in Dallas, lmk if yall know of any places please :)
You don't have to take their MCAT course. So far, it's just been access to the self-study version of the Princeton Review, so a lot of students opted out of it and just chose to study on their own or with another program. They might be revamping it though. There's a lot of debate about when to take the MCAT if you're in the program. I know a few who retook it in the summer because physiology and the other courses are helpful to brush up on content, but I don't think it's smart if it's your first try since there's so much more content. I wouldn't recommend trying to study for it during the semester. I tried and failed lol. Also, you're assigned an advisor who will look at your application and can help you try and plan things out. There's also Dr. Hodge, the assistant dean that gives the best advice. It's obvious how much she loves and cares for her students.

Coursework is mostly quizzes, exams, and discussion posts. Some classes have group assignments too. You need a webcam because the exams are on Lockdown browser.

I'm from Houston, but a lot of students in the area would go to campus to study. Not sure if you're closer to Fort Worth, but it could be an option, even if it's just on certain days for study groups.

Does anyone know if there is a GroupMe for those entering in the fall?

Currently wake up every morning and check my email, this page, then my portal in that order to see if my application is accepted or denied lol.

• Care
You don't have to take their MCAT course. So far, it's just been access to the self-study version of the Princeton Review, so a lot of students opted out of it and just chose to study on their own or with another program. They might be revamping it though. There's a lot of debate about when to take the MCAT if you're in the program. I know a few who retook it in the summer because physiology and the other courses are helpful to brush up on content, but I don't think it's smart if it's your first try since there's so much more content. I wouldn't recommend trying to study for it during the semester. I tried and failed lol. Also, you're assigned an advisor who will look at your application and can help you try and plan things out. There's also Dr. Hodge, the assistant dean that gives the best advice. It's obvious how much she loves and cares for her students.

Coursework is mostly quizzes, exams, and discussion posts. Some classes have group assignments too. You need a webcam because the exams are on Lockdown browser.

I'm from Houston, but a lot of students in the area would go to campus to study. Not sure if you're closer to Fort Worth, but it could be an option, even if it's just on certain days for study groups.
okay thank you, I'm currently debating when would be a good time to take my MCAT.. I really want to apply next cycle but I also don't want to rush things and set myself up for failure you know?

Any advice you could give us that you wish you knew before, during, or even now for the program? Any tips for studying? 😊

Currently wake up every morning and check my email, this page, then my portal in that order to see if my application is accepted or denied lol.
Literally SAME! 😭

Has anyone heard back yet? My current status still says under committee review.

• Care
Woke up this morning to my application status and I got denied.. I was so hopeful. Is there anyway I can contact them to see what I was missing or could’ve did better on?

and good luck to everyone else! 💐