University of Tennessee Class of 2014 Acceptance Thread

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TNMD2010

10+ Year Member
Reaction score
Just wanted to talk to people who have been accepted to UT and have decided and/or are considering coming next fall. I've known for a while that I'll be at UT next year and am excited to talk to others that will be there - kinda nerdy I know...

Where is everyone considering living?

What are you going to do about roommates?

Is everyone just going to be living off of loans?

Hmmm...I know I have a million more questions, but I just want to get this thread going.

Members don't see this ad.

I have known that I was gonna go to UT for a while now. It's very exciting :)

I dont know where exactly Ill be staying. Kindof hoping to get that underway during my spring break. Ill be looking for a roommate to cut down on costs and what-not. And yea, loans are gonna be the only way I will survive the next four years. Unless I have a dying rich uncle I dont know about :p

I'm about 60% sure I'm coming! (The other 40% is torn because I love Quillen too) :D

I will be living off loans, most definitely!

I will be looking for a roomate...and will probably be living in mud island if I come to Memphis!

Members don't see this ad :)
Does this bother any of you?
http://www.uthsc.edu/Medicine/PFF/
Does this imply that the entering class of 2010 will receive no sorts of case based learning and all of our learning will be traditional lectures? They do have standardized patients and simulators now, right?

It sounds to me like they are going to incorporate more hands on learning throughout the first 2 years from reading your link. Is that not the impression that you are getting?

From what friends have said, you currently have several weeks of lecture and then a week of tests. After the week of exams, you have a week working with patients learning the basics of a clinical exam etc...then back to lectures. It seems like they aren't going to have it broken up as much maybe and integrate working with patients throughout the first 2 years even moreso...? I know you work a lot with standardized patients during those patient care weeks but I'm not so sure about the patient simulators. I know they have simulators but I didn't get the impression that the M1 & M2s get to work with them a lot.

Does this bother any of you?
http://www.uthsc.edu/Medicine/PFF/
Does this imply that the entering class of 2010 will receive no sorts of case based learning and all of our learning will be traditional lectures? They do have standardized patients and simulators now, right?

I just decided to come to UTHSC for sure!

I do like the current schedule a lot, particularly the schedule your own test week. From my understanding of the curriculum reform, we won't get any of it, even in our second year. I wouldn't mind some small group stuff (PBL, CBL), but it seems even when the new curriculum is implemented in 2011, it will only apply to the first years. Not worth deferring over, but those who follow us will be going through a different program than us. We'll be the last of the current curriculum. Newer isn't always better, though.

To answer TNMD2010:
I'll be living with Phi Chi come August. Anyone else joining me?

I'll have about 26 roommates.

I'll be living solely off of loans, but do plan to use my savings for living expenses until I run out, then replenish them 4th year with left over money from loans. Anxious for the financial aid report, especially with the freshly passed (it was included with the health care reform vote) Student Aid and Fiscal Responsibility Act taking effect for loans dispersed after July 1st, 2010, which includes all of us. Basically instead of using banks (Chase, Wells Fargo, Discover, Sallie Mae, etc.) the Stafford loans will be more akin to the Federal Direct program and the money that the banks aren't pocketing will be used to lower some of our rates by 2-4% from the standard 6.8%. Times are a changing. I'm sure the financial aid office will be a bit behind with all these changes.

the Stafford loans will be more akin to the Federal Direct program and the money that the banks aren't pocketing will be used to lower some of our rates by 2-4% from the standard 6.8%. Times are a changing. I'm sure the financial aid office will be a bit behind with all these changes.

Actually, the most of the money saved will benefit the Pell Grant program and interest rates will not change. The way payment is structured is changing but only for new borrowers after 2014. 10% income over 20 years which will likely not help many medical students.

Flash,
The SAFRA changed somewhat, so some information is old. I used this to hint at lower rates: http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/studentloans.jsp

Citing this section:
Interest Rate Reductions

Over a four-year period beginning July 1, 2008, the interest rate on subsidized Stafford Loans made to undergraduate students will be reduced. The applicable interest rates for loans made during this period are as follows:
First disbursement of a loan: Interest rate on the unpaid
balance Made on or after And made before
July 1, 2009 July 1, 2010 5.6 percent
July 1, 2010 July 1, 2011 4.5 percent
July 1, 2011 July 1, 2012 3.4 percent
These changes apply to subsidized Stafford loans first disbursed on or after July 1 of each year through June 30 of the next year. This change does not affect any prior loans made to borrowers; the terms and interest rates of those loans remain the same. These reduced interest rates apply only to subsidized loans; any unsubsidized Stafford Loan for the same undergraduate borrower would continue to be made at the current fixed interest rate of 6.8 percent.

But, it does say that is for undergraduates but they don't say anything about graduates on that page (and it is studentaid.ed.gov) but I'm unsure if this was affected by SAFRA.

Only for new borrowers in 2014? Because that is when we start repayment and I'm sure the 10% salary would be nice in residency but you are correct, won't help MD students much. Granted, no matter what happens with SAFRA and UTHSC's curriculum reform, I'll still see you all come August and eagerly away my financial aid report

hello future classmates,
I am planning in living in mud island. Living of loans of course and getting a roommate will be a great idea to reduce expenses. I will be apartment hunting in about ten days!

Flash,
The SAFRA changed somewhat, so some information is old. I used this to hint at lower rates: http://studentaid.ed.gov/PORTALSWebApp/students/english/studentloans.jsp

Citing this section:
Interest Rate Reductions

Over a four-year period beginning July 1, 2008, the interest rate on subsidized Stafford Loans made to undergraduate students will be reduced. The applicable interest rates for loans made during this period are as follows:
First disbursement of a loan: Interest rate on the unpaid
balance Made on or after And made before
July 1, 2009 July 1, 2010 5.6 percent
July 1, 2010 July 1, 2011 4.5 percent
July 1, 2011 July 1, 2012 3.4 percent
These changes apply to subsidized Stafford loans first disbursed on or after July 1 of each year through June 30 of the next year. This change does not affect any prior loans made to borrowers; the terms and interest rates of those loans remain the same. These reduced interest rates apply only to subsidized loans; any unsubsidized Stafford Loan for the same undergraduate borrower would continue to be made at the current fixed interest rate of 6.8 percent.

But, it does say that is for undergraduates but they don't say anything about graduates on that page (and it is studentaid.ed.gov) but I'm unsure if this was affected by SAFRA.

Only for new borrowers in 2014? Because that is when we start repayment and I'm sure the 10% salary would be nice in residency but you are correct, won't help MD students much. Granted, no matter what happens with SAFRA and UTHSC's curriculum reform, I'll still see you all come August and eagerly away my financial aid report

Thanks for the link. But these interest rates still only cover subsidized loans, which we'll be eligible for up to ~$8,500/year for medical school. Over the life of the loan, the reduction in percentage points should be some substantial savings! The new repayment is only for borrowers who took out their first loan starting in 2014, not when they entered repayment.

I decided on UTHSC for sure as well!! Im SO excited. Any girls looking for roomates.. I have 2 already and we r looking for a 4th. GREAT house, reasonably priced, about 5 minutes from school! PM me if interested and we can swap facebooks and whatnot!!

ILL SEE Y'ALL IN AUGUST!!!!! :oops:

I called the Financial Aid office at UTHSC and the very nice lady said that we won't be getting award letters til May or even June and it will be all electronic this year, so expect an e-mail and to do everything online. She also said that the new legislation affects them quite a bit and they are waiting for word from the financial aid people at Knoxville on how to handle things. Previously, the UT system used the lenders and not the direct program, so they have quite a change for us. We'll see how it all plays out. I just hope TSAC can still cover us for the 1% default fee (if it still even exists) although perhaps not with the Federal Direct program.

I called the Financial Aid office at UTHSC and the very nice lady said that we won't be getting award letters til May or even June and it will be all electronic this year, so expect an e-mail and to do everything online. She also said that the new legislation affects them quite a bit and they are waiting for word from the financial aid people at Knoxville on how to handle things. Previously, the UT system used the lenders and not the direct program, so they have quite a change for us. We'll see how it all plays out. I just hope TSAC can still cover us for the 1% default fee (if it still even exists) although perhaps not with the Federal Direct program.

Ugh. So we won't be able to compare finances between schools before May 15th deadline? ?

Members don't see this ad :)
Does anyone know if there has been a facebook group started for acceptees yet?
It might be a better way to meet each other and figure out housing stuff!

Are any of you planning on doing anything fun this summer? I'll be at home where my parents just moved so I don't know anyone and am looking for something to do. I'm not opposed to traveling abroad. I have traveled alone in the past and it's so much better with a friend / future classmate.

I was planning a week in Puerto Rico sometime in June. Still not sure but worst case scenario I will just go to Miami. Are you in TN?

Is anybody going to the housing weekend?? I can't decide.

I would suggest going to the housing weekend, especially if you are not familiar with Memphis. I have lived here for seven years or so. Some places can be appear safe but really are not so be careful, it's always Memphis outside.

Well, I've lived in the memphis area my whole life except for college. I was just trying to get a feel for how many people would be attending. I'd really just be going for the social aspect. :)

Oh, sorry raider, no offense was intended. Since you lived here all your life you might use that to your advantage. Later in med school you will be teamed up with your classmates quite often. I would go for the social advantage. As it is I am stuck on the wait list...sigh.

Oh, sorry raider, no offense was intended. Since you lived here all your life you might use that to your advantage. Later in med school you will be teamed up with your classmates quite often. I would go for the social advantage. As it is I am stuck on the wait list...sigh.

Oh no offense taken :) Good luck waiting. I got pulled of the waitlist about 2 weeks ago! Hang in there!!

Status
Not open for further replies.