University of Pikeville - Kentucky (KYCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
How did it take you guys to hear back for an invite?
About 3 weeks. However, it will be highly dependent upon when you applied/were complete.

Members don't see this ad.

Oh man... in 11 hours ill be on a plane (for my first time) to KYCOM for my first med school interview!
From CA btw, in case you are interested...

Reactions: 1 users
Members don't see this ad :)
Oh man... in 11 hours ill be on a plane (for my first time) to KYCOM for my first med school interview!
From CA btw, in case you are interested...
You're gonna do great! I'll be there tomorrow morning for any of you interviewees. There will be like 20 or so of us 1st and 2nd years to answer questions and help you guys just relax. Good luck and see you tomorrow!

For anyone wondering -- 9/19 was when the first batch of interviews was conducted for this cycle. It was laid-back. They usually ask couple questions such as tell me about yourself? Why DO? Did you apply to both MD and DO schools? Why did you apply to MD schools if you want to go to a DO school? Why do you want to become a physician?. After that, they will ask if you have any questions? It can be anywhere between a 15 min and a 90 min interview lol, depending on what questions you ask and how much you/them like talking etc. I know people that interviewed for 20 mins and still got in, and people that interviewed for over an hour and still got it. So, one's not any better than the other. Talk to the current students, they are very friendly and welcoming. Two people will interview you -- one person will be observing you and the other will be doing most of the talking. Hope this helps. The area is pretty nice too. People are super friendly. I would love to go here!! Good luck to everyone! :)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 user
Got an email on 8/31 stating my secondary has been submitted and have heard nothing else since. Anyone else in a similar situation?

Got an email on 8/31 stating my secondary has been submitted and have heard nothing else since. Anyone else in a similar situation?

Yes, I am in the same situation. Secondary submitted email 8/30. Haven't heard anything back yet. I was thinking about calling the admissions to get an update on the status of my application, but I am not sure if its a good idea since its still kind of early in the cycle. but i would love to know whats going on.

Yes, I am in the same situation. Secondary submitted email 8/30. Haven't heard anything back yet. I was thinking about calling the admissions to get an update on the status of my application, but I am not sure if its a good idea since its still kind of early in the cycle. but i would love to know whats going on.
Yeah, I honestly just had their number in dialed in my phone and ready to call, but decided not to for this exact reason. I'll give it another week I suppose

Your best bet is to check the 2013 thread to see when the 2nd round of interview invites went out (if they haven't already). First batch of interviews was just the other day, so don't worry yet. I was told of my interview only 2 weeks before the actual date, so it's somewhat of a last minute process.

I am in the same situation as you two. Ive been complete since 8/21..im just worried whether i have been rejected already or not :(

Members don't see this ad :)
I interviewed Friday and have not heard anything from them! Hopefully they are just finalizing their selections and we hear by tomorrow.

Good luck to you all. I can't wait to start meeting my class of 2019 classmates!!!

From prior posts, looks like fobaby19 was accepted back in April.

A few people were accepted last April with the CHANCE to get moved up to c/o 2018 if space was available. Some were bumped up, some werent. I was one of the people that got in, but for 2019. I fell in love with the city and the school and I personally think its going to be a great experience. I really hope the best of luck to all those who interviewed and those who are still potential candidates!

A few people were accepted last April with the CHANCE to get moved up to c/o 2018 if space was available. Some were bumped up, some werent. I was one of the people that got in, but for 2019. I fell in love with the city and the school and I personally think its going to be a great experience. I really hope the best of luck to all those who interviewed and those who are still potential candidates!

Congrats!! That must have been a long wait haha...hope you enjoy your gap year (and also prep up a little ahead of time). Thanks for the wishes as well!! :).

Interviewed Friday as well. I can't remember if the Dean said to expect the call on a specific day/date or just "next week".

I remember him saying "sometime this week". However, most people on previous years forums received the call on Tuesday/Wednesday. Well, worst case, we will know in just couple more days I suppose. Good luck! :).

Has anyone from the 9/19 or 9/20 interview heard back yet ?

Not yet. Either they haven't called or everybody in this thread is rejected lol.

Reactions: 2 users
i am hoping they are just behind... statistically none of us on this is getting accepted would be highly unlikely...

Last edited:
i am hoping they are just behind... statistically none of us on this is getting accepted would be highly unlikely...

There are only 6 active users here that interviewed on Friday. There were almost 35-40 people that day at the interview.

Statistically yea, chances are slim I guess but for some reason I am starting to think it's not just a coincidence anymore. Although, I really hope I am wrong lol.

There are only 6 active users here that interviewed on Friday. There were almost 35-40 people that day at the interview.

Statistically yea, chances are slim I guess but for some reason I am starting to think it's not just a coincidence anymore. Although, I really hope I am wrong lol.

but most of us are like the overachiever who does the prep work before the interview.. and hopefully most of are seriously determined, and worked hard with decent stats.. :)

lol you guys can really freak yourselves out. let's just relax and let the cards play out. it's up in the air, and what will be, will be.

Haha calm down guys last year I interviewed on a Saturday and got my call on Thursday I believe. It really just comes down to Dean Busers schedule as he makes all the calls personally. Don't worry though I'm sure calls will start coming. Good luck and hope to see you all next year!

I interviewed on 9/20... havent heard anything yet. However, not expecting any good news. My panel pretty much tore me apart the whole time! I tried remaining calm, positive, and energetic. I did everything I could to elicit a smile from them, guess we'll see :/

9/20 here. Haven't heard anything either, but not too worried, hoping by Friday! Interview went really well.

Interviewed here Friday as well. 3.56cGPA/27 MCAT. My panel really picked my brain about not taking anatomy or physiology, although I had always heard not to take it before medical school. Other than that, it went alright but left a bad taste in my mouth. We'll see soon enough!

Someone get access to Dr. Buser's Calendar already! (jk...don't!). This wait is just....

Interviewed here Friday as well. 3.56cGPA/27 MCAT. My panel really picked my brain about not taking anatomy or physiology, although I had always heard not to take it before medical school. Other than that, it went alright but left a bad taste in my mouth. We'll see soon enough!
No worries im a first year and I hadn't taken anatomy before attending and neither had many of my classmates

:soexcited:Me too me too!

Just got the call. Accepted!!

Just got the call!! We doctors now! Must've done the Friday calls first and left us Saturday interviewees hanging.

Reactions: 3 users
Looks like we were all successful last week. Not too shabby.

Interviewed on 9/19, just got the call today on 9/26. :D Can't believe this is actually happening...though I got rejected since I didn't get the call yesterday.

Reactions: 3 users
Interviewed on 9/19, just got the call today on 9/26. :D Can't believe this is actually happening...though I got rejected since I didn't get the call yesterday.

You gotta be kidding lol. That's awesome. I can't imagine the wait though. I thought i went nuts waiting a few hours! Congrats

I have lurked on SDN for quite some time. I figured I would make my inaugural post a great one. I interviewed on Saturday 9/20, and received my acceptance call yesterday evening (9/25). Needless to say, I am very excited :).

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 users
You gotta be kidding lol. That's awesome. I can't imagine the wait though. I thought i went nuts waiting a few hours! Congrats

You have no idea l0l...I was so upset last night that I didn't get the call yesterday. I loved the campus and everything about it...glad I get to go here. Dream come true right there! :D.

I have lurked on SDN for quite some time. I figured I would make my inaugural post a great one. I interviewed on Saturday 9/20, and received my acceptance call yesterday evening (9/25). Needless to say, I am very excited :).

Welcome board AM508 :).

You have no idea l0l...I was so upset last night that I didn't get the call yesterday. I loved the campus and everything about it...glad I get to go here. Dream come true right there! :D.

That must have been horrible having to wait all night. As diesel2101 said, waiting a few hours was painful enough...lol. I second your sentiments about the school. I had a great day on Saturday and got a really awesome vibe from the school.