University of Pikeville - Kentucky (KYCOM) Discussion Thread 2014 - 2015

This forum made possible through the generous support of SDN members, donors, and sponsors. Thank you.
Guys do not worry about the titers. If you have started your hep b series, send proof of shots to angel as you go. as long as you are able to prove a + titer before december you should be good.

Members don't see this ad.

Freaking out a little bit because I don't have Hep B immunity. It says I must have all immunity by May 15, but even if I restarted the Hep B series the day I got my acceptance I wouldn't have completed it till August. . .

A friend of mine who is currently a MS-1 at KYCOM finished her Hep B series a few months ago lol so I wouldn't worry so much to think they will rescind your acceptance! :)

Does anyone have a financial aid offer/package in the Web Advisor yet?

Reactions: 1 user
Members don't see this ad :)
I've only accepted the loans except the grad plus. I am not sure if that is what you are talking about.

Yeah it is. It's kind of a long story, but basically I sent Teresa Jones another Financial Aid Application a couple weeks ago.. because I didn't have any offers in my web advisor when she told me I should have (weeks prior to re-submitting an application). So I'm guessing it just takes time to process? I'll give it another week before I call/email her again. Thanks!

Well folks, I declined admission (for 2016) today after getting accepted to another osteopathic school close to home. My hopes are that they reach out to someone to fill my spot.

I must say, I fell in love with this school from the moment I arrived. I wish all of you the best of luck! KYCOM is AWESOME. :clap:

Reactions: 3 users
Hey guys I will be withdrawing my acceptance here today. Best of luck to everybody in the class, and anyone who gets my spot. The school is amazing but moving an hour away from family is better than eight hours.

Hey guys I will be withdrawing my acceptance here today. Best of luck to everybody in the class, and anyone who gets my spot. The school is amazing but moving an hour away from family is better than eight hours.

Good luck to you

could someone who is a current student or someone in the class of 2019 send me a pm about housing? I'm looking for a solid, clean apartment and was looking for some advice. thanks in advance

I'm not sure what figure to enter for loan amount on the PLUS loan application. The school has not responded to my request yet and I really want to get the application submitted. Does anyone know what amount to enter?

For the plus loan you can just check the max the school will allow box.. Then you can get Teresa to adjust it to what you want or if you want to max out the budget you can just tell her you want to do that and she can change all that. It's better to get approved for more and not use it then not to be approved for enough

Anyone from the 2020 class move into the 2019 class yet, or at least hear any new information? Today I received an e-mail addressed to the 2019 email thread but have not heard anything else about moving into the 2019 class. Has anyone else in the 2020 class gotten this e-mail (about lab coats and gross anatomy lab)? I haven't gotten anything else really.

Anyone from the 2020 class move into the 2019 class yet, or at least hear any new information? Today I received an e-mail addressed to the 2019 email thread but have not heard anything else about moving into the 2019 class. Has anyone else in the 2020 class gotten this e-mail (about lab coats and gross anatomy lab)? I haven't gotten anything else really.
A friend of mine was called yesterday and moved into the class of 2019.

Members don't see this ad :)

Have you received any of the previous emails from the class of 2019 or was this the first

Have you received any of the previous emails from the class of 2019 or was this the first
First e-mail I received on my Bears e-mail address. I got an e-mail on my gmail account Friday from Angel concerning my hep B titer.

Hoping to move into the 2019 class soon so I can for sure start working on finding a place to live. I was also in the first group to be interviewed for the class of 2020 on Feb 27.

I would call and ask. It's odd that you are now on class of 2019 because last week we had multiple emails on 2019 for loan stuff and now you are getting the emails, could be a good sign!

It's also my first email... And I've been accepted since early February in the class of 2019. They may have just updated the list server.

Here's a question: what's the login for web advisor?
I emailed them yesterday, but I'm wondering if it's some variation of the email? I just want to accept my loans. :'(

I emailed them yesterday, but I'm wondering if it's some variation of the email? I just want to accept my loans. :'(

I'm pretty sure the bears email account and web advisor share the same login information -- which was provided via email

I'm pretty sure the bears email account and web advisor share the same login information -- which was provided via email
Yeah I figured it would so I tried that. It didn't work. On the sheet it said bear email and joule login so I thought web advisor might be different

I actually had the same problem. I called the IT department and they had it fixed in minutes

It's also my first email... And I've been accepted since early February in the class of 2019. They may have just updated the list server.
Yeah even if so... It could be a good sign

The username and password that was given to me for my email worked for all 3 (email, web advisor, and joule). I would suggest to call IT tomorrow.

After much consideration, I will be withdrawing my acceptance from KYCOM. It was not an easy decision to make, but I'm glad to think it will go to someone eagerly waiting on the alternate list. Best of luck to all of you!

Hey all,
I'll be applying for this coming cycle and wanted to ask about the secondary. I 've been trying to atleast glance at the secondaries from the schools on my list and KYCOM's SA was along the lines of "why do you want to be a pcp in rural appalachia?", right? Well truth is I have no interest in being a pcp and the latest match list showed 20 matches to gen surg programs and a bunch to em, my two interests (as of now). My question is did you guys just say that you did in the sa (not sure how believable it would seem), or did you talk about wanting to specialize and work in rural areas (closer to what I want)? Thanks!

Current second year here. I was completely open with them about my interest in surgery or EM, but told them that I know many people change their minds, and that I was open to anything.

Just so you know though, the 20 surgery matches aren't from one year. That match list is several years all compiled together. Nonetheless, we have matched people everywhere.

Current second year here. I was completely open with them about my interest in surgery or EM, but told them that I know many people change their minds, and that I was open to anything.

Just so you know though, the 20 surgery matches aren't from one year. That match list is several years all compiled together. Nonetheless, we have matched people everywhere.
Congrats on finishing your first year! :)

Reactions: 1 users
Anyone happen to know what movement might be like from here on out. Do other schools still have wait lists moving? I'm trying to stay optimistic but every day not getting a call is pretty depressing haha. Angel and Ronnie wont say anything regarding movement. Thanks!

Anyone have any new info about movement?
From people I've talked to it's pretty stalled. I know 2 people who have been pulled from the waitlist, one from the last interview day for the class of 2016 and one from the first, but both KY residents. They both heard about 2 weeks ago. 2 other people I know from Ky haven't heard.

From people I've talked to it's pretty stalled. I know 2 people who have been pulled from the waitlist, one from the last interview day for the class of 2016 and one from the first, but both KY residents. They both heard about 2 weeks ago. 2 other people I know from Ky haven't heard.
Dang, at least I now know that my chances are pretty slim seeing as how they are taking Kentucky residents first regardless of when they interviewed. I was the first interview group for 2020 but a Michigan resident. Thank you though!! That was the best piece of information I've gotten in the last two months, I guess I can start looking for a job in Michigan now.

is this school big on rural? I am a chicago resident. But not really interested in practicing in rural areas.

is this school big on rural? I am a chicago resident. But not really interested in practicing in rural areas.
They're big on rural, specifically Appalachia. but it doesn't necessarily kick you out of any possibility.

Also a current second year at KYCOM. I would say about 15-20 students in our class are from Chicago, and I doubt many of them plan to work in rural areas. I don't know if they lied and said they were interested on their application/interview though, lol. It doesn't hurt to apply!

I also interviewed on Friday and received a e-mail saying I was not admitted to class starting July 2015. Did anyone else get this ? Thats all my e-mail said. It didn't mention class starting july, 2016. I don't know whether to re-apply or if that means there is no use. I am in-state with 25 mcat and 3.5 science gpa but will not graduate until June. Would appreciate any help .
I agree with samac about asking them what was weak about your application, but I would also suggest reapplying. I'm a current second year, and I have friends who had 3.0 cGPA and had a 23 mcat, and they got in. It's really more about who you are as a person and whether or not you fit their mission. Don't get me wrong, they also look at scores and all, but I'm just saying your scores are within their acceptance range. Don't give up hope! :)

We just started classes back today so I know they're busy with us but hang in there I'm sure they are getting it done
Hello,
I have received a Sec invite. Is it a good thing or they just send it to every applicant? also I am from NJ, do I have any chance?
Thanks

Hi does anyone have specific recommendation about how to write our second statement of purpose for this school? I have so many things to say, but dont know which to bring, Also my verbal on MCAT is very low but my sciences are both 9. Does anyone have any idea about this considering that I am a second language and have been in this country for only 5 years.
Thank you

Hello,
I have received a Sec invite. Is it a good thing or they just send it to every applicant? also I am from NJ, do I have any chance?
Thanks
Good thing. Our class is pretty diverse. We have people from the states as far Cali, a few who were born internationally

Hi does anyone have specific recommendation about how to write our second statement of purpose for this school? I have so many things to say, but dont know which to bring, Also my verbal on MCAT is very low but my sciences are both 9. Does anyone have any idea about this considering that I am a second language and have been in this country for only 5 years.
Thank you
No specific recommendations, the secondary has to come from you.
It's anecdotal but I know someone in my class who was international who didn't have a good verbal and got in, so there's that.

No specific recommendations, the secondary has to come from you.
It's anecdotal but I know someone in my class who was international who didn't have a good verbal and got in, so there's that.
Thank you so much
Will you take a look at my Statement for secondary and give your comments on it?

Hello everyone! My interview is this coming Saturday and I am excited and very much nervous as this will be my first one. Does anyone know if it is a group interview or one on one? Please and thank you!

Hello everyone! My interview is this coming Saturday and I am excited and very much nervous as this will be my first one. Does anyone know if it is a group interview or one on one? Please and thank you!
1 on 1, please move to this years discussion forum for all future posts. Thanks!